ADVERTISEMENT

Brentd Venebales

since they don't pay their women's basketball coach a lot..they have money to pay a highly successful assistant coach more money than any assistant in college.

Over 2 million a year with no pressure as the HC?!?! Only pride would let him walk away from that deal.

I’m no UM fan but if the turnover chain or Hokies or dookies or big orange Eez, or deacz, or Eaglez or (not Clemtech/ semi holes, pack, holes, jackets ) wants to win that conference I’m all about it

It is hard to deny he's the best defensive coordinator/assistant in the country. They have been elite on defense for quite some time and it does not seem to be slowing. Unfortunately he has a son on the team now who is a freshman and another son at Daniel who may be a future Clemson player as well. Not sure how this will affect his decision, but that, coupled with this deal may keep him around for awhile.

We need to take note of this and pay TRob and (hopefully) BMac whatever they want if they continue to produce on the field. We have an incredible staff right now and I really hope we can get a 'ship before they start getting poached.

It is hard to deny he's the best defensive coordinator/assistant in the country. They have been elite on defense for quite some time and it does not seem to be slowing. Unfortunately he has a son on the team now who is a freshman and another son at Daniel who may be a future Clemson player as well. Not sure how this will affect his decision, but that, coupled with this deal may keep him around for awhile.

We need to take note of this and pay TRob and (hopefully) BMac whatever they want if they continue to produce on the field. We have an incredible staff right now and I really hope we can get a 'ship before they start getting poached.

They both got raises this year.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Give Muschamp a couple more recruiting years and then imagine the defensive battles coming our way in future tater games.

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
lol I thought you said
vegetables-you-mean-7sp1x3.jpg

Good grief. I wish they would turn everything over to Dabo. A clemmer's worst nightmare. If I were a clemmer that's the reason I would gladly let those guys make the big bucks to keep Dabo from making coaching decisions on o and d.

i'd view those salaries an investment.

Brad Bronell just got a 15 million 6 year contract extension for 1 sweet 16 appearance. Where is Clemson going to get all the money to pay its NFL salaries? :D

Brad Bronell just got a 15 million 6 year contract extension for 1 sweet 16 appearance. Where is Clemson going to get all the money to pay its NFL salaries? :D
BB is one bad game away from getting the boot. Deal was restructured with nothing guaranteed. They were ready to get rid of him before the run last year. Personally, I hope they keep him. They'll never win anything significant with him there.

Reactions: NaturalGC7

Vegetable is not the "best" defensive coordinator in country. He coaches against the ACC for goodness sake, and gets extra time and effort to plan for a "big" game once or twice a year. Put him back in B12, B10, or SEC and he's mediocre at best when he has to coach every week.

I certainly don't blame Venebles for getting all he can get. And very important to Dabo apparently, to keep his key coaches on staff. Venebles is good, but there are a lot of equally good defensive minds. As much as many want to put some of these coaches on a pedestal, also remember that this game ain't exactly rocket science. It usually boils down to who has the best talent. Unfortunately, at this current point in time Clemson has loads of it on the defensive side of the football. With the talent, and depth, of that defensive front my daughter would be recognized as a great DC. As an above poster mentioned, it wasn't too many years ago where Venebles was getting demoted and probably about to be ushered out of Oklahome because their defense couldn't stop anybody. His skills haven't changed, but the talent at his disposal has. It is all about recruiting that talent.

Vegetable is not the "best" defensive coordinator in country. He coaches against the ACC for goodness sake, and gets extra time and effort to plan for a "big" game once or twice a year. Put him back in B12, B10, or SEC and he's mediocre at best when he has to coach every week.
Man, if he's mediocre at best, I'd hate to think of what that makes you guys...

Man, if he's mediocre at best, I'd hate to think of what that makes you guys...
I think BV is better than mediocre, but we have two of the best (consistently proven) on our staff in Ellis Johnson and Muschamp and another one that appears to be following in their footsteps in T-Rob.

I think BV is better than mediocre, but we have two of the best (consistently proven) on our staff in Ellis Johnson and Muschamp and another one that appears to be following in their footsteps in T-Rob.

Ellis Johnson’s contract expired and he’s no longer on the staff. But I agree.

EJ is no longer an advisor? Had not heard that.

The link is to an article from The State so don’t click if you don’t want them getting hits. It would not copy and paste for me. His Contract expired May 1st. The quality control positions have time limits on them. Not sure if that’s the case here or not.

The State - Ellis Johnson

Last edited:
Reactions: rogue cock
The link is to an article from The State so don’t click if you don’t want them getting hits. It would not copy and paste for me. His Contract expired May 1st. The quality control positions have time limits on them. Not sure if that’s the case here or not.

The State - Ellis Johnson
Aw, man I hate that. Always pictured him in the booth and T-Rob calling up to him and saying "this is what we're seeing down here. What are you seeing up there?" and EJ spelling it out in detail. Hard to replace 36 years of successful experience.

When you look at this without the bias of being a South Carolina fan, the numbers and the results speak for themselves.

People keep saying he was about to be run out of OU but thats not true. OU actually matched what Clemson offered for him to stay but he left anyway. Maybe the reason his defense at OU wasnt better was because he didnt have total control. Maybe Stoops was micromanaging and overruling him at times. Another possibility is that he got better after having the chance to work with some great defensive minds(brooks, hobby, etc.). I would argue that Brooks was one of the top 5 defensive line coaches ever. It can never hurt to work with and learn from that type of coach.

ADVERTISEMENT