ADVERTISEMENT

Brentd Venebales

People keep saying he was about to be run out of OU but thats not true. OU actually matched what Clemson offered for him to stay but he left anyway. Maybe the reason his defense at OU wasnt better was because he didnt have total control. Maybe Stoops was micromanaging and overruling him at times. Another possibility is that he got better after having the chance to work with some great defensive minds(brooks, hobby, etc.). I would argue that Brooks was one of the top 5 defensive line coaches ever. It can never hurt to work with and learn from that type of coach.
He was a good position coach at OU...but the defense had consistently declined since he had taken over. They did try to keep him for his recruiting and position coaching, but he was being "demoted" if not in title then in responsibility. Agree that Brooks was as much the reason for Clemson's defensive success recently as anyone. Clemson was pretty fortunate to snag him up. Same with Caldwell.

Reactions: BattleshipTexas
Vegetable is not the "best" defensive coordinator in country. He coaches against the ACC for goodness sake, and gets extra time and effort to plan for a "big" game once or twice a year. Put him back in B12, B10, or SEC and he's mediocre at best when he has to coach every week.
Best defenses Carolina has played for the past 2 years, regardless of conference... made the offense look pathetic.

Reactions: Heyward1
People keep saying he was about to be run out of OU but thats not true. OU actually matched what Clemson offered for him to stay but he left anyway. Maybe the reason his defense at OU wasnt better was because he didnt have total control. Maybe Stoops was micromanaging and overruling him at times. Another possibility is that he got better after having the chance to work with some great defensive minds(brooks, hobby, etc.). I would argue that Brooks was one of the top 5 defensive line coaches ever. It can never hurt to work with and learn from that type of coach.

They matched because they didn't want to be seen as poor, but they didn't offer him sole defense control. When you say "Stoops" was micromanging, which one do you mean? Bob or Mike? Bob didn't do that, but he wanted his brother Mike back as DC. They were going to be co-DCs but that didn't last long.

Reactions: rogue cock
Vegetable is not the "best" defensive coordinator in country. He coaches against the ACC for goodness sake, and gets extra time and effort to plan for a "big" game once or twice a year. Put him back in B12, B10, or SEC and he's mediocre at best when he has to coach every week.

Dumb dumb dumb. You watch much football?

Dumb dumb dumb. You watch much football?

I have been watching Venables since 1999. He isn't all that good or that bad. He is no where near the best in the country. Good enough to not be an embarrassment. Not so good that Stoops didn't prefer his own brother (Mike Stoops).

I have been watching Venables since 1999. He isn't all that good or that bad. He is no where near the best in the country. Good enough to not be an embarrassment. Not so good that Stoops didn't prefer his own brother (Mike Stoops).
Name one DC that is better than Venables? Not someone that is currently an HC! Impress me and name 2? I bet you can't do it! Look at the statistics for last 4-5yrs. Look at the number of Starters and Juniors that left for NFL or transferred during that time and he had to reload. I'm not saying he is the best but I guarantee 118-120 D1 schools wishes he was on their staff.

Name one DC that is better than Venables? Not someone that is currently an HC! Impress me and name 2? I bet you can't do it! Look at the statistics for last 4-5yrs. Look at the number of Starters and Juniors that left for NFL or transferred during that time and he had to reload. I'm not saying he is the best but I guarantee 118-120 D1 schools wishes he was on their staff.
That's an idiotic limitation....all the good ones get HC offers. Either BV isn't deemed good enough as those who have gotten HC offers or he's too scared to take the helm. BTW, Va Tech's Bud Foster is better.

That's an idiotic limitation....all the good ones get HC offers. Either BV isn't deemed good enough as those who have gotten HC offers or he's too scared to take the helm. BTW, Va Tech's Bud Foster is better.
I beg to differ on Bud Foster! According to you all the good ones are HC? Why didn't he get the VT job especially after the HC-IN-WAITING job? He has never stopped a quality quarterback. That is why they lost every New Year's Six bowl game! I like Foster but he isn't same level as BV.

There are 131 D1 teams, unless that changed this year again, I gave the benefit of 10 being super happy with their DC.

If I didn't throw in the HC clause then the Garnet glasses would say Champ, Kirby, and whoever.

Many people say he is mediocre or a little better, tell me DC's that are better. I'm open but their D is tough and he drives it. He definitely is not a one year wonder since his second year at Clemson.

I beg to differ on Bud Foster! According to you all the good ones are HC? Why didn't he get the VT job especially after the HC-IN-WAITING job? He has never stopped a quality quarterback. That is why they lost every New Year's Six bowl game! I like Foster but he isn't same level as BV.

There are 131 D1 teams, unless that changed this year again, I gave the benefit of 10 being super happy with their DC.

If I didn't throw in the HC clause then the Garnet glasses would say Champ, Kirby, and whoever.

Many people say he is mediocre or a little better, tell me DC's that are better. I'm open but their D is tough and he drives it. He definitely is not a one year wonder since his second year at Clemson.
Also forces you to leave off Barry Odom, Jeremy Pruitt, Mark Dantonio, etc. Bud Foster has consistently put out good defenses year after year for a good bit longer than BV. Foster may not be the recruiter that BV is, but IMO he's every bit the coach. His problem was that he would never leave VaTech and people quit asking. Same will happen to BV if he keeps turning down jobs.

Greg Shiano, Manny Diaz, and the Stoop brothers.

Yogi Berra
Snoopy and Lucy
Mr Rogers & his neighborhood
The A-Team
The B-Team
Congress
The SC state senate
The kids in the hall
Tom Petty (rip)
Sterling Sharpe
Joe Lee Dunn
Javon KinLaw
Zion Williams
Frank Martin
Carey Rich
Heath Kline
Jane Pauley
Aja Wilson
Steely Dan
The Ramones
T-Pain
Chase Elliot
Jordan Spieth
Steve Unger
Linda Kohn
Dan Patrick
Fu-Fighters
Encyclopedias
Dictionaries
Maps
Pens & pencils (but not the mechanical ones)
Highlighters
LED lights (especially from Colorbeam)
Land scape lighting
New tires
Slightly used tires
My 52 degree pitching wedge
My ping B60i karsten putter
The greens in Santee
Augusta National
Harbor Town
Edisto
.................etc

Dave Aranda, Jeremy Pruitt, Don Brown, Kevin Steele and a host of others. You are offering stats that show what a great recruiting staff that Clemson has, not that Venables is particularly good as a DC. I have watched him since 1999. He isn't all that good. He isn't bad, but 118 schools aren't clamoring to get him. Oklahoma thought Mike Stoops was better.

Dave Aranda, Jeremy Pruitt, Don Brown, Kevin Steele and a host of others. You are offering stats that show what a great recruiting staff that Clemson has, not that Venables is particularly good as a DC. I have watched him since 1999. He isn't all that good. He isn't bad, but 118 schools aren't clamoring to get him. Oklahoma thought Mike Stoops was better.
Kevin Steele? The one Clemson fired before bringing in Venables? The one whose defense gave up 70 to WV? You shot yourself in the foot with that answer.

Kevin Steele was fired by Dabo for the Orange Bowl thrashing they took from WVU. There is no way you can put Kevin above Vegetables!

Kevin Steele was fired by Dabo for the Orange Bowl thrashing they took from WVU. There is no way you can put Kevin above Vegetables!
But he improved Clemson's defense every year he was there...and has been very successful everywhere else he has been. He was the scapegoat for that WVU game...which was just poor preparation by the whole staff and completely exposed the limitations of Clemson's emphasis on recruiting offensive skill position players to the exclusion of everything else. Their recruiting philosophy changed a bit after that season.

But he improved Clemson's defense every year he was there...and has been very successful everywhere else he has been. He was the scapegoat for that WVU game...which was just poor preparation by the whole staff and completely exposed the limitations of Clemson's emphasis on recruiting offensive skill position players to the exclusion of everything else. Their recruiting philosophy changed a bit after that season.
C'mon? I usually agree with most your posts Rogue but I can't let you pass on this Steele comment. He has been at 3 or 3+ schools since Clemson, he wasn't even a DC for a couple of those yrs. If he is so great why has he been tossed around the SEC almost every year since Clemson? He don't hold water for BV. Clemson beat him everytime he has played them since being fired which his replacement is the thread headliner.

2013 Alabama (Director Player Personnel)
2014 Alabama (LB)
2015 LSU (DC/LB)
2016–present Auburn (DC)

Steele is a good coach but I personally think BV is top notch as DC, Clemson obviously see's the same. People that beg to differ are just wearing their dark garnet glasses and just can't let any slight of a compliment pass toward Clemson. I might have favorites like Ellis, but I'm a realist that can give credit where it's warranted.

C'mon? I usually agree with most your posts Rogue but I can't let you pass on this Steele comment. He has been at 3 or 3+ schools since Clemson, he wasn't even a DC for a couple of those yrs. If he is so great why has he been tossed around the SEC almost every year since Clemson? He don't hold water for BV. Clemson beat him everytime he has played them since being fired which his replacement is the thread headliner.

2013 Alabama (Director Player Personnel)
2014 Alabama (LB)
2015 LSU (DC/LB)
2016–present Auburn (DC)

Steele is a good coach but I personally think BV is top notch as DC, Clemson obviously see's the same. People that beg to differ are just wearing their dark garnet glasses and just can't let any slight of a compliment pass toward Clemson. I might have favorites like Ellis, but I'm a realist that can give credit where it's warranted.
I just see him as an above average coach with great players. Just don't think he can take average players and build a competent defense. Think he was very lucky to have Brooks and Hobby on the staff.

Just have never seen him have to adjust when he didn't have the personnel to run his standard defense. Thompson/Muschamp had to go to a modified 3-4 from their standard 4-3 to get production. Ellis had to develop a 4-2 to deal with some new offenses and coach them to a great defense (even before Clowney and crew arrived). BV couldn't do that at OU and hasn't had to at Clemson.

Last edited:
They lost me when they started paying a “get back guy”

Respect gone !
I saw a clip on ESPN last year that showed coaches that had "get back guys". I think there were like 8 of them all DCs except one OC. But the only school I recall was the DC from FSU. So it's a little more common than I expected.

I saw a clip on ESPN last year that showed coaches that had "get back guys". I think there were like 8 of them all DCs except one OC. But the only school I recall was the DC from FSU. So it's a little more common than I expected.
So 8 people I have zero respect for, K

Also forces you to leave off Barry Odom, Jeremy Pruitt, Mark Dantonio, etc. Bud Foster has consistently put out good defenses year after year for a good bit longer than BV. Foster may not be the recruiter that BV is, but IMO he's every bit the coach. His problem was that he would never leave VaTech and people quit asking. Same will happen to BV if he keeps turning down jobs.

BV has said many times that he is to focused on the defensive part of the game to be a head coach. He just flat out does not want to be a head coach. If you listen to him at all you can tell. No one in their right mind would say look I don’t want to be a head coach because you don’t burn bridges. Read between the lines the man is saying I don’t want to be a head coach.

Secondly isn’t recruiting part of being a coach? So if Bud foster was just as good at coaching the game but BV is a better recruiter, wouldn’t that make him the better coach?

BV has said many times that he is to focused on the defensive part of the game to be a head coach. He just flat out does not want to be a head coach. If you listen to him at all you can tell. No one in their right mind would say look I don’t want to be a head coach because you don’t burn bridges. Read between the lines the man is saying I don’t want to be a head coach.

Secondly isn’t recruiting part of being a coach? So if Bud foster was just as good at coaching the game but BV is a better recruiter, wouldn’t that make him the better coach?
BV couldn't get it done at OU. They consistently got worse when he was DC. IIRC they also improved when Mark Stoops took back over.

RE: Foster, look at it how you want, but he has put out top defenses consistently year in and year out. I think he gets more out of his players. Give me a good defensive mind, I'll hire him some recruiters. BV is better than average, but not one of the best. Lets see how he does without the experience of Brooks and Hobby doing their thing. Some thought we were fine with Whammy until Lawings influence graduated.

BV couldn't get it done at OU. They consistently got worse when he was DC. IIRC they also improved when Mark Stoops took back over.

RE: Foster, look at it how you want, but he has put out top defenses consistently year in and year out. I think he gets more out of his players. Give me a good defensive mind, I'll hire him some recruiters. BV is better than average, but not one of the best. Lets see how he does without the experience of Brooks and Hobby doing their thing. Some thought we were fine with Whammy until Lawings influence graduated.

Improved how??? Not in PPG thats for sure. If you go from 2004 which was BVs first solo year his PPG were
Since Stoops has been DC the PPG have been
BV had 5 seasons where his D allowed 20 or less PPG for the season at OU. Stoops hasn't had a single season below 20 yet. Since coming to Clemson BV has had two seasons above 20ppg(his first two). The rest have been 20ppg or less. Not sure how those numbers equal OU getting better.

Dudes.

Most coaches are overrated, and their success is a result of good players.

Venables is no different. Put him on our team, and we would still be pretty average

The question really is not in the wins but has he developed their talent? I wouldn’t know bc I don’t follow the Taters but I’m gonna say no because, screw him

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT