ADVERTISEMENT

Bring back Drive in theaters

In the Greenville area in the 60’s I can remember the Belmont, the Cedar Lane, the Skyland, the Greer, the Augusta Road and I believe there was another on White Horse Road. 6 for a fairly small town tells you they were popular. The keys would be finding cheap land relatively close to lots of folks.
I can't tell you how many people we hid in the trunk of my car to get in at the Augusta Rd. drive in. Good times for sure...

Wouldn't it be weird fun if there was a drive in theater for Gamecock football night games. Sitting in your car watching the game on a super sized screen, with a speaker hanging on your window. The smell of weed all over the parking lot. When we score everybody blows the horn. When the refs screw up, everybody blows the horn.
When we win everybody blows the horn, and gets out of the car to share a beer. When we lose everybody leaves early.
It would further empty the stadium.

I visited the sunset, beltline, alice, and newberry drive ins, those were the days. Have never found my wifes contact lens she lost at the drive in in greenville.

There was an x-rated (R?) drive-in in Eau Claire out Sunset Dr.
I thought the one that was in Lexington showed them as well? I remember riding by and seeing a Bruce Lee movie and a x rated one on the billboard. This was in the early 80s.

I like the drive in for a fun novelty, but it’s the worst way to watch a movie if you’re really interested in the movie. Might as well watch your neighbor’s big screen from your kitchen.

I like the drive in for a fun novelty, but it’s the worst way to watch a movie if you’re really interested in the movie. Might as well watch your neighbor’s big screen from your kitchen.

tenor.gif

In the Greenville area in the 60’s I can remember the Belmont, the Cedar Lane, the Skyland, the Greer, the Augusta Road and I believe there was another on White Horse Road. 6 for a fairly small town tells you they were popular. The keys would be finding cheap land relatively close to lots of folks.

The one on White Horse was the King Cotton, I think.

Highway 21 Drive In in Beaufort. Best part is the concessions. You can get 2 drinks, popcorn and candy for 2 for under $20

they also have corn dogs, hamburgers, funnel cakes. You pay once and it’s good for 2 back to back movies. Only downer is that during the summer the first movie doesn’t start til sundown so it’s like 9pm
I'm OLD enough to remember going to the one theatre downtown and taking about a $1.50 from cutting grass. 25 cents to get in. Popcorn for a dime.(small bag, not the heart attack in the tub today). Milk Duds for dime. 24oz Coke for .21.

My wife and I had our first date at the Thunderbird Drive In in Spartanburg in 1981. It's a flea market now.

I took my Wrangler to the Monetta drive-in(spl?) years ago. I think we had to tune our car radios in to get the sound from the movie- which was ok, but crackly. And from where we were parked the top of my windshield blocked to much of the screen. We ended up sitting on the front bumper. Meh

There used to be at least a couple in Columbia back in the late 60s. The Twilight on Pine Belt Road near Keenan High School and the North 1 on US 1 north of Dentsville. Probably several others in orher.parts of town. And yes it could be brutally hot, but we seemed to be more tolerant of heat back then.
Didn't there used to be one off River Drive?

Reactions: searooster
I would miss peeing in a trough at WB while the people next me are peeing and pee splatter is hitting me. Always pissed me off (pun intended) as we had not changed that dynamic with some sort of stadium renovation over the years.
It's sad and unbelievable at the same time it hasn't changed over 50 years.

Reactions: bayrooster
The King Cotton was in Greer just past the turnoff toward Apalache Mill. The one on White Horse Road was the White Horse Drive-In.

Yes, I do believe you are correct. They are building a housing development where the old White Horse stood. King Cotton was on Wade Hampton across from the old A& G shopping center. Thanks for that feed back

Yes, I do believe you are correct. They are building a housing development where the old White Horse stood. King Cotton was on Wade Hampton across from the old A& G shopping center. Thanks for that feed back
When did the King Cotton come down? I grew up very near there and don't remember it. The only one in Greer I remember was the old Greer Drive-In, which became the first Ryan's Steakhouse, and is now a Popeye's, I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT