ADVERTISEMENT

Bring back Drive in theaters

Wouldn't it be weird fun if there was a drive in theater for Gamecock football night games. Sitting in your car watching the game on a super sized screen, with a speaker hanging on your window. The smell of weed all over the parking lot. When we score everybody blows the horn. When the refs screw up, everybody blows the horn.
When we win everybody blows the horn, and gets out of the car to share a beer. When we lose everybody leaves early.

Wouldn't it be weird fun if there was a drive in theater for Gamecock football night games. Sitting in your car watching the game on a super sized screen, with a speaker hanging on your window. The smell of weed all over the parking lot. When we score everybody blows the horn. When the refs screw up, everybody blows the horn.
When we win everybody blows the horn, and gets out of the car to share a beer. When we lose everybody leaves early.

As long as there is a conssesion stand where I can get Coke with doo doo ice and pop corn I'm game.

Or when we lose, everyone gets out of the car and beats the hell out of fans from the opposing team.

There were 3 in Anderson, SC years ago and you could always tell when X rated movies were showing at the Fox drive-in because they had very bright lights that would be turned on facing the highway so when people passed the theater they couldn't see what was showing.

In the Greenville area in the 60’s I can remember the Belmont, the Cedar Lane, the Skyland, the Greer, the Augusta Road and I believe there was another on White Horse Road. 6 for a fairly small town tells you they were popular. The keys would be finding cheap land relatively close to lots of folks.

Reactions: southernbuc81
In the Greenville area in the 60’s I can remember the Belmont, the Cedar Lane, the Skyland, the Greer, the Augusta Road and I believe there was another on White Horse Road. 6 for a fairly small town tells you they were popular. The keys would be finding cheap land relatively close to lots of folks.
I remember all of those, except Cedar Lane. While I can remember the rest I can't place the location of a couple. I remember the Belmont and Skyland but can't remember where they were located. One was on Poinsett Hwy and there was one on Hwy 29 kind of across from Walmart - a couple of miles from the old Liberty Life Building headed towards Taylors. I've seen movies at all of the but can't place Cedar Lane, although if it were in Greenville a long time, I know I would have seen a movie there.

Remember the Greer Drive-In. Saw Airport, Poseiden Adventure, Towering Inferno and several other movies there. Also remember the Drive-In on W. Hampton Blvd between Greer and Spartanburg...saw several "risque" movies there in the mid to late 70s from atop of the semi-trailers in the business next door or by sneaking through the back fence.

I remember all of those, except Cedar Lane (it's been some time since I've been out that way but I believe it was replaced by a pretty large apartment complex). While I can remember the rest I can't place the location of a couple. I remember the Belmont and Skyland but can't remember where they were located. The Belmont was on WH Blvd about a mile from the turn off to go to Taylors as you were heading North. The Skyland was at the corner of where 291 intersects Poinsett and becomes 25N. I believe an Ingles replaced it. One was on Poinsett Hwy and there was one on Hwy 29 kind of across from Walmart - a couple of miles from the old Liberty Life Building headed towards Taylors. I've seen movies at all of the but can't place Cedar Lane, although if it were in Greenville a long time, I know I would have seen a movie there.

with Covid likely to be around for some time to come and you know it'll be replaced by whatever the Chinese Communists unleash on us when we've figured out how to over come it, I would think Drive-in theatres would be a great way to get us all out and about more regularly. Now if Hollywood would just make some movies worth a half a terd some entreprenuers could launch businesses that actually make sense (and dollars & cents).

For the drive-ins that thrived over the past year, do they transmit the sound over a weak FM signal to use the car's audio system? That would allow you to get the surround sound experience that was lacking from the old speakers that hung from the car window.

For the drive-ins that thrived over the past year, do they transmit the sound over a weak FM signal to use the car's audio system? That would allow you to get the surround sound experience that was lacking from the old speakers that hung from the car window.
Hwy 21 Drive-In uses FM radio.

We went to Greenwood's Auto 25 Drive In a bunch last year and even a few times this year....not while it's hot though. Looking forward to going back in the fall....although I would see folks keeping their car on the whole movie with the ac running. Not into that, myself. You do get audio through the car radio, but we take a small radio in.

Reactions: rogue cock

Cedar Lane was on Cedar Lane Rd going toward Berea from 153. The one on Poinsett hey we used to say on the back row on Sunday you could find enough beer cans to build a Toyota and enough rubber to put tires on it. White horse had all night movies. You got donuts the next morning i think.

Highway 21 Drive In in Beaufort. Best part is the concessions. You can get 2 drinks, popcorn and candy for 2 for under $20

they also have corn dogs, hamburgers, funnel cakes. You pay once and it’s good for 2 back to back movies. Only downer is that during the summer the first movie doesn’t start til sundown so it’s like 9pm

Reactions: rogue cock
Highway 21 Drive In in Beaufort. Best part is the concessions. You can get 2 drinks, popcorn and candy for 2 for under $20

they also have corn dogs, hamburgers, funnel cakes. You pay once and it’s good for 2 back to back movies. Only downer is that during the summer the first movie doesn’t start til sundown so it’s like 9pm
....and their root beer float!

Love em! Get rid of the box theaters and bring back the drive ins. Family, dates, whatever. The Covid is gonna be here for years. This way, only the car you are in is affected!

With the price of land the way it is, I wouldnt be opposed to towns and/or counties giving them a property tax break. Call it a quality of life exemption or something. We really do need to find a way to make them feasible going forward.

Remember the Greer Drive-In. Saw Airport, Poseiden Adventure, Towering Inferno and several other movies there. Also remember the Drive-In on W. Hampton Blvd between Greer and Spartanburg...saw several "risque" movies there in the mid to late 70s from atop of the semi-trailers in the business next door or by sneaking through the back fence.

The South 29. Spartanburg's playground.

A drive-in theatre in Columbia would be so hot that the people in the cars would have to take their clothes off!!🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
There used to be at least a couple in Columbia back in the late 60s. The Twilight on Pine Belt Road near Keenan High School and the North 1 on US 1 north of Dentsville. Probably several others in orher.parts of town. And yes it could be brutally hot, but we seemed to be more tolerant of heat back then.

We had 4 on Rivers ave that I can remember in N. Chas. All within about a ten mile section. The Gateway, North 52, The Flamingo and the Port Drive-In. Port went to XXX in its final few years.

Reactions: uscedge21
We had 4 on Rivers ave that I can remember in N. Chas. All within about a ten mile section. The Gateway, North 52, The Flamingo and the Port Drive-In. Port went to XXX in its final few years.
The Magnolia was in West Ashley on Hwy 17S. We used to have pick-up football games beside the movie area after school. Tackle with no equipment......good times!

Reactions: bucketdad
Beltline drive in. I watched Rocky and the Incredible Melting Man from that drive in. I do not remember the drive in looking like the picture below.

large.jpg

I went to the Greer Drive-In one time, I was like junior high school age and remember the movie which was Disney's Shaggy Dog.

I think it’s the right time. Thoughts?
Would be great. Problem for most areas that are a convenient drive is the price of land. Hard to get $300 per foot in sales with cars.

I’d love it, but where I’m at, it’d be an hour and a half drive to where land was cheap enough to do this.

Would be great. Problem for most areas that are a convenient drive is the price of land. Hard to get $300 per foot in sales with cars.

I’d love it, but where I’m at, it’d be an hour and a half drive to where land was cheap enough to do this.
Yes it would only be possible in limited areas but it would be cool for those places

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT