ADVERTISEMENT

Bronco Mendenhall resigned at UVA??

He is an unique guy and good coach. Surprised, but not surprised because it is Bronco. Different kinda guy.

Reactions: rogue cock
I have not kept up with Virginia football this year. Is this performance related or ready to retire or change on his part related?

I have not kept up with Virginia football this year. Is this performance related or ready to retire or change on his part related?

He said he isn't 100% into it right now. He is man of faith and letting the Lord guide him at this time.

Reactions: 92Pony and PC31
I thought for awhile that he was a guy who might move up in the coaching ranks. Looks like he is doing what Bill Curry has done. He is not going to let money and pressure change him for the worse.

I thought for awhile that he was a guy who might move up in the coaching ranks. Looks like he is doing what Bill Curry has done. He is not going to let money and pressure change him for the worse.
He ought to be OK financially, and he can always be an OC for someone when he gets ready.

No offense to Bronco, but he just hung 10 coaches, and about 20 support staff out to dry. I hope this isn't news to all those people today. Hopefully he let them know of his plans and they had time to look for other jobs while all these openings were happening. But with the surprise of all this, I doubt it.

Coaching takes a HUGE amount of energy…if you are really doing what you need to do to excel…and that’s just my experience coaching sub-varsity. I can’t even imagine what all would go into being a high-D1 football coach.

Reactions: nocdoc
No offense to Bronco, but he just hung 10 coaches, and about 20 support staff out to dry. I hope this isn't news to all those people today. Hopefully he let them know of his plans and they had time to look for other jobs while all these openings were happening. But with the surprise of all this, I doubt it.

This decision was recent. A lot of the staff he brought from BYU. He was asked about this, and he acknowledged that the staff's status based on his sudden decision is "all on him".

Maybe we can get his long-time OC.

Reactions: caughtlookin
Not that it makes it any easier but football coaches know they can be fired at any time. It's part of the business. They all know it. Gotta keep that Rolodex updated.
You can be the best "get back" coach in America and be pulling down 34K a year but if the head guy goes........

His OC and DC are awful. DC definitely more so. Not sure what the season record of scoring 40+ in games, and still losing by double digits is, but they might’ve set it. 66-49 against BYU, 59-39 against UNC, awful

His OC and DC are awful. DC definitely more so. Not sure what the season record of scoring 40+ in games, and still losing by double digits is, but they might’ve set it. 66-49 against BYU, 59-39 against UNC, awful

Their offense was ranked 24th in the nation - not sure how that’s awful. Bronco was technically his own DC, his DC was in name only. Maybe that was his issue.

The offensive stats look pretty good. Agree with you on defense.

He was a guy that moved across the country outside of his ties, which typically doesn’t happen. I think he’s a hell of a coach. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him back in football soon somewhere out west.

He is an unique guy and good coach. Surprised, but not surprised because it is Bronco. Different kinda guy.
Because phonetically you pronounce unique as if it began with a consonant 'y' you don't need to put an, a unique is correct.

Edit: I'll tell you one thing that messes me up over here. Everytime I reference or LBs I'll say a LB instead of an LB, because I just think linebacker when I see it instead of "Elle bee" which most assuredly not the case.

I should’ve clarified that many Virginia fans I saw were not happy overall with Robert Anae (OC) over the years, and he called some bad games, and has the personality of a tack. You can be Saban, when you can coach like him. Their QB was almost Shaw like this year with his legs (and arm) and covered some questionable calls. 3rd team ACC was just wrong. But anyway, that throwback pass to the OT as they were moving the ball against VT last week was worse than the Jordan Burch call against UT because it truly cost them the game. Not sure who authorized that, but they need to go for that reason alone. I’m not sure how involved he was with the D this year, but if he was the final authority and not Nick, he needed to fire himself. Believe it or not, more than a few people on The Sabre aren’t that sad. They think he’s one of those I’m smarter than you types

Coaching takes a HUGE amount of energy…if you are really doing what you need to do to excel…and that’s just my experience coaching sub-varsity. I can’t even imagine what all would go into being a high-D1 football coach.
Yep. I noticed this year especially, Nick Saban looks extra tired on the sideline with his "struggling" 11-1 team.

This man surpassed Bear Bryant, and some fans were still on his head for this year's team not blowing away opponents like year's past.

They are adults and knew the risks. Their job security was always tenuous.

They are adults and knew the risks. Their job security was always tenuous.

Pretty much 90%+ of Americans' job security is tenuous.

Of course they knew that their job was tied to one man, but this was as abnormal a departure as you can get. Here they were going to a bowl, they had as much job security as a football program can have, and he quits without warning any of the people that count on him. He's garbage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT