ADVERTISEMENT

Brown and Jenkins

Aug 30, 2010
are good for 7 to 14 points per game. I keep hearing he don't know the playbook that's a joke give the guy 4 or 5 plays in the passing game. This guy was the better passer Before spring not even close. Sorry ,but Luke is not good for 7 to 14 points a game. He can play QB the next 3 to 4 years and never throw the football like Brown .Brown is a playmaker and can drop it on a dime. I like Luke but not at QB. Hears a question if Luke is a QB then why didn't Clemson offer Luke as a QB and push hard for him. Clemson can evaluate talent at the QB position you can bet on that. Don't get me wrong but if Brown is not starting we will be in for another long season. We have got to push the ball down the field. Brown gives us the best option.

are good for 7 to 14 points per game. I keep hearing he don't know the playbook that's a joke give the guy 4 or 5 plays in the passing game. This guy was the better passer Before spring not even close. Sorry ,but Luke is not good for 7 to 14 points a game. He can play QB the next 3 to 4 years and never throw the football like Brown .Brown is a playmaker and can drop it on a dime. I like Luke but not at QB. Hears a question if Luke is a QB then why didn't Clemson offer Luke as a QB and push hard for him. Clemson can evaluate talent at the QB position you can bet on that. Don't get me wrong but if Brown is not starting we will be in for another long season. We have got to push the ball down the field. Brown gives us the best option.
You got all this from just a handful of passes? This board does this every year. Everybody just slow down a minute

200.gif

I don’t know about all that.

Reactions: Jon Snow
right, lol. FIVE passes and people are analyzing his game like he just went 30/30 with 4 tds in the super
No, its called knowing what a passer and a playmaker is .Brown was the BETTER passer going in the spring game and he remains the Better passer. Not even close. Luke, great kid but can not throw with accuracy. He couldn't in high school and now you think can .Not good for us if he starts.

Brown threw 7-8 passes but every single one of them were leading receivers and kept the ball safe. No one else was even close.

even him throwing the ball away on the screen was a good play

Watched Brown's film before he xfered and he looked like a baller. Went to Cola today to see him in person and it basically confirmed what was on tape. The kid can sling it all over the field, accurately.

Reactions: Lakecock1
3/5 in a spring game.

maybe he'll end up being the starter, maybe not.

if beamer had emerged from the spring game saying Brown was the starter, folks would be posting about why doty was the better choice.

it's the nature of fans.

3/5 in a spring game.

So your argument against Luke is that Clemson didn’t offer him.

If that’s the standard what does it say about a transfer from St Francis?

Last edited:
Admittedly I turned off the spring game because of the idiotic format. But what quality defense was Brown throwing against?

3/5 in a spring game.

if beamer had emerged from the spring game saying Brown was the starter, folks would be posting about why doty was the better choice.

it's the nature of fans.

3/5 in a spring game.
So the third down drills didn’t count because...?

Reactions: Lakecock1
I am just excited we seem to have more than one option at QB. Doty made some good plays last year when he was thrust into the role before he was fully prepared... He can do a decent job, maybe a very good job if he continues to improve... Brown has done it at a high level in college, has more experience and he and Jenkins have chemistry. These practices are for the coaches to figure out who is best but it is good to have competition. We will see who gets the ball this Fall, but the fact Brown and Jenkins made some connections against our D in the Spring game is a good sign. I am as/more excited about Jenkins as I am about Brown- a receiver that size who can CATCH and knows how to get open is a weapon for any QB!

Again if Brown starts at QB great. None of yall will admit it , but every year we do this . Last year it was Doty, 2 years ago it was Hilinski. Before that it was Bentley and so on and so on all the way back to Chris Smelley.

3/5 in a spring game.

it's the nature of fans.

3/5 in a spring game.
Those 5 looked way better than anything else Saturday. And probably the reason is that Brown looks like he plays the game, Doty looks like he's playing the position.

Someone put it well upthread; one looks worth 7-14 points/game, one doesn't. Just win.

Again if Brown starts at QB great. None of yall will admit it , but every year we do this . Last year it was Doty, 2 years ago it was Hilinski. Before that it was Bentley and so on and so on.
To be completely honest, I am not that guy.

with Hillinski - I was still on Bentley because of his experience. Same with Hillinski over Doty. Both of those showed they can succeed.

Doty really did not show me anything last year and he looked the exact same yesterday.

Brown looked poised and quick, every play he made was the right look and hit players in stride. The only YAC with Doty’s throws were a swing pass and a screen pass.

you have to throw people open, Doty didn’t brown did

Again if Brown starts at QB great. None of yall will admit it , but every year we do this . Last year it was Doty, 2 years ago it was Hilinski. Before that it was Bentley and so on and so on all the way back to Chris Smelley.

Yep. Every. Single. Year.

Reactions: jweaks
Again if Brown starts at QB great. None of yall will admit it , but every year we do this . Last year it was Doty, 2 years ago it was Hilinski. Before that it was Bentley and so on and so on.
Every fan base tends to do it when the team is not winning- the backup QB is the most popular guy on the team! They are the difference maker but the “coaches just don’t see it/are starting the current QB for reasons of nepotism, or racism or favoritism and last year people literally were convinced they stuck with that favoritism over playing the best QB at the risk of losing their jobs but did it anyway because the coaches were just that biased against Hilisnky! It is a form of mania unique to sports... I just hope this season the fact these guys had no pre-existing relationships with the QBs means we will have less of that sort of talk regardless of who gets the job.

Reactions: uscwatson21
Doty had a costly fumble and almost threw a lock in the goal line (given he would have probably ran for it in a real game)

FWIW, I'm not pro-Doty or anyone else for that matter. It was just a thrown together spring game and hard to make any definitive judgement on anything.

FWIW, I'm not pro-Doty or anyone else for that matter. It was just a thrown together spring game and hard to make any definitive judgement on anything.
I get that I am just going by purely how they passed the ball and their pocket presence.

I get that dotys legs are an equalizer but again; last year i did not see any real explosive runs by him

No talk of Dak Joyner so far? Got co-offensive player of the Spring and STs player of the spring and I believe he lead the team in receptions in the Spring Game? Felt he showed improvement late last year, made a few big plays for us last season- maybe he is turning into a real player for us?

I get that I am just going by purely how they passed the ball and their pocket presence.

I get that dotys legs are an equalizer but again; last year i did not see any real explosive runs by him

I've never been super high on Doty. Maybe I'm an old curmudgeon, but it turns me off when the first thing anyone praises about a QB is his mobility. The first thing I want to hear about any QB is that he's a great passer. I understand mobility has become a near necessity in today's game, but it should still be the second best thing any QB is good at...in my old fashioned opinion.

I've never been super high on Doty. Maybe I'm an old curmudgeon, but it turns me off when the first thing anyone praises about a QB is his mobility. The first thing I want to hear about any QB is that he's a great passer. I understand mobility has become a near necessity in today's game, but it should still be the second best thing any QB is good at...in my old fashioned opinion.
I agree a QBs first objective should be distributing the ball to playmakers

No, according to some guys on this board they just have a really good football I.Q. Some do not. Remember D.J. coming out of high school what position is he playing NOW ? That's. My point. Some people can see it other can not. Here's a question how many teams we play are scared of Luke behind center my guess is NONE. With Brown behind center they can't stack the line.

No, according to some guys on this board they just have a really good football I.Q. Some do not. Remember D.J. coming out of high school what position is he playing NOW ? That's. My point. Some people can see it other can not. Here's a question how many teams we play are scared of Luke behind center my guess is NONE. With Brown behind center they can't stack the line.

I've got no idea about Brown. Nothing he did at St. Francis really matters, so all we've got to go on is handful (literally) of snaps in a weird spring game.

The coaches have seen him play throughout the spring and throw way more than the 5 passes he threw on Sunday. There is a reason he is 4th on the depth chart and I'm guessing its based on what they have seen in the entirety of the spring.

To be completely honest, I am not that guy.

with Hillinski - I was still on Bentley because of his experience. Same with Hillinski over Doty. Both of those showed they can succeed.

Doty really did not show me anything last year and he looked the exact same yesterday.

Brown looked poised and quick, every play he made was the right look and hit players in stride. The only YAC with Doty’s throws were a swing pass and a screen pass.

you have to throw people open, Doty didn’t brown did
This is what concerns me.

The coaches have seen him play throughout the spring and throw way more than the 5 passes he threw on Sunday. There is a reason he is 4th on the depth chart and I'm guessing its based on what they have seen in the entirety of the spring.
The announcers were discussing this during the game. Said Brown definitely had to adjust to the speed and talent level of SEC athletes that he never faced at St. Francis.

But he had apparently turned the corner in recent days. It certainly seemed to show yesterday.

Well, yeah. Beamer named Doty the tentative starter almost immediately after the game, which means he had already decided that spring game performance wouldn't factor into his decision, which means Doty had been far outperforming the other guys in spring practice. It lines up with the few reports we got from spring practice that said none of the other QBs were really pushing Doty at all.

Doesn't mean Brown can't/won't emerge as the starter, and it's fine with me if he does.

Or it could mean Beamer and Satterfield are horrible at QB evaluations.

Who knows?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
ADVERTISEMENT