ADVERTISEMENT

Brown and Jenkins

I think sometimes coaches fall in love of their own parameters (where are you looking, what is your footwork looking, where is the arm angle at, are they a 'leader') that they sometimes miss the forest for the trees.

Obviously they have a ton more snaps watching in practice to go by, but as we all know, practice is practice - sometimes players play much better when they are under the lights. That was what was one of Muschamps downfall - he would fall in love to practice performances and completely ignore how the performed on Saturdays.

We only saw a handful of snaps, I get it, which is why it is insane to me. Brown looked light years ahead of Doty with less than half the snaps of him. And its not who he was playing with/against it was all just what he was doing.

For example, his first pass was a quick seam route that hit the guy in the numbers and if he caught it- had ten yards ahead of him. It was perfect timing and placement.

I think sometimes coaches fall in love of their own parameters (where are you looking, what is your footwork looking, where is the arm angle at, are they a 'leader') that they sometimes miss the forest for the trees.

Obviously they have a ton more snaps watching in practice to go by, but as we all know, practice is practice - sometimes players play much better when they are under the lights. That was what was one of Muschamps downfall - he would fall in love to practice performances and completely ignore how the performed on Saturdays.

We only saw a handful of snaps, I get it, which is why it is insane to me. Brown looked light years ahead of Doty with less than half the snaps of him. And its not who he was playing with/against it was all just what he was doing.

For example, his first pass was a quick seam route that hit the guy in the numbers and if he caught it- had ten yards ahead of him. It was perfect timing and placement.

so it would seem the early returns on Beamer are not positive?

so it would seem the early returns on Beamer are not positive?

I will let you know in the fall. Is he making that claim yesterday to keep Dotys confidence up? Did he play Brown 4th string as a motivation factor?

If Brown is not at least the second string by the first game, I will have questions.

I think Doty will start, and I kinda get that. Sure. But when it becomes evident he cant stretch the field (which I think will happen) - how quick he pulls the trigger will be my biggest question.

Beamer and staff should consult you so they can see the forest correctly. Apparently they are missing what is obvious to you.

The way I see it, even if Brown is only the backup, I think they're absolutely planning on bringing him in at some point during games when we're in the redzone to give him an opportunity to connect with EJ for a TD. That seems like one of the reasons Beamer recruited both of them since they have such a longstanding connection.

I guess Beamer's an idiot then.
No , Beamer is not an idiot he knows Brown is the better passer .In my opinion Beamer is just trying to get the best out of both of them. They may end up playing both at times. If Brown plays we have a passing game if he doesn't we can not go down field. Its not rocket science.

No , Beamer is not an idiot he knows Brown is the better passer .In my opinion Beamer is just trying to get the best out of both of them. They may end up playing both at times. If Brown plays we have a passing game if he doesn't we can not go down field. Its not rocket science.
Who on this board really thinks Luke can win games with his arm ? Enough said.

Who on this board really thinks Luke can win games with his arm ? Enough said.

As noted above, I've never been particularly high on Doty, but I'm also not going to heap praise on a guy who threw, what, 7 passes yesterday? Including non-game drills.

It's eerily reminiscent of fans lauding an obviously weak Collin Hill last year. Now, I doubt Brown will be THAT bad.

I don't care if he threw 3 passes Luke cannot stretch the field. So, these Coaches better give Brown more reps. Are we will have a sad season again .

As noted above, I've never been particularly high on Doty, but I'm also not going to heap praise on a guy who threw, what, 7 passes yesterday? Including non-game drills.

It's eerily reminiscent of fans lauding an obviously weak Collin Hill last year. Now, I doubt Brown will be THAT bad.
tbh Brown looks way better than Hill in those 7 passes he threw

Reactions: Lakecock1
Well, yeah. Beamer named Doty the tentative starter almost immediately after the game, which means he had already decided that spring game performance wouldn't factor into his decision, which means Doty had been far outperforming the other guys in spring practice. It lines up with the few reports we got from spring practice that said none of the other QBs were really pushing Doty at all.

Doesn't mean Brown can't/won't emerge as the starter, and it's fine with me if he does.

Or it could mean Beamer and Satterfield are horrible at QB evaluations.

Who knows?
Probably means that, like last year, there is no evaluation and they just name the guy they “like”, regardless of talent or ability, because you know... That is what coaches do apparently. What I hear is Bobo named Doty the starter for next year before he left and none of the coaches are willing or able to override that! 😂

Probably means that, like last year, there is no evaluation and they just name the guy they “like”, regardless of talent or ability, because you know... That is what coaches do apparently. What I hear is Bobo named Doty the starter for next year before he left and none of the coaches are willing or able to override that! 😂

Has Hill signed with an agent? If not, could he return to the team? Dude has some unfinished business here...there are picks to be thrown.

Gamecock fans on Garcia: Who cares how he practices? He’s a gamer. He turns it on when it’s game time.

Gamecock fans on Doty: Who cares how he has looked in games or practice with a crowd. Dudes a bookworm. He can draw a play better than anyone else in the meeting rooms.

Reactions: Lakecock1
are good for 7 to 14 points per game. I keep hearing he don't know the playbook that's a joke give the guy 4 or 5 plays in the passing game. This guy was the better passer Before spring not even close. Sorry ,but Luke is not good for 7 to 14 points a game. He can play QB the next 3 to 4 years and never throw the football like Brown .Brown is a playmaker and can drop it on a dime. I like Luke but not at QB. Hears a question if Luke is a QB then why didn't Clemson offer Luke as a QB and push hard for him. Clemson can evaluate talent at the QB position you can bet on that. Don't get me wrong but if Brown is not starting we will be in for another long season. We have got to push the ball down the field. Brown gives us the best option.
I like your screen name for our approach to this year's schedule. Run the ball. Stop the run. That's playing to our strength. And a dual threat QB is our chance when it comes to running. Don't get me wrong. I love a passing game that stretches the field vertically. But that is not our strength right now. With Harris and Lloyd in the backfield, and white and others pushing for playing time, it only makes sense for us to try to win with running. We can bring Brown off the bench for an occasional boost, like we did with Mike Hold back in the 80's. Let him hook up with his favorite target once or twice a game. But control the game with Doty and our backs. I really believe that's our best shot at 6 or more wins.

I've never been super high on Doty. Maybe I'm an old curmudgeon, but it turns me off when the first thing anyone praises about a QB is his mobility. The first thing I want to hear about any QB is that he's a great passer. I understand mobility has become a near necessity in today's game, but it should still be the second best thing any QB is good at...in my old fashioned opinion.

That's not old fashioned - it's just good football. Unless you have a run-first, option-type offense, then your QB should not be a better runner than passer. Guys that run better than pass will get you out of some tough situations, and even take over some games with their athleticism. However, the consistency is never there for a whole season if they can't put the ball where it needs to be.

Reactions: GarnetBeamer
That's not old fashioned - it's just good football. Unless you have a run-first, option-type offense, then your QB should not be a better runner than passer. Guys that run better than pass will get you out of some tough situations, and even take over some games with their athleticism. However, the consistency is never there for a whole season if they can't put the ball where it needs to be.
And with the play of our oline, that means 2 seconds to develop a play. We better have a QB that can scramble, we have seen this script with a pocket passer play over and over again!

I will let you know in the fall. Is he making that claim yesterday to keep Dotys confidence up? Did he play Brown 4th string as a motivation factor?

If Brown is not at least the second string by the first game, I will have questions.

I think Doty will start, and I kinda get that. Sure. But when it becomes evident he cant stretch the field (which I think will happen) - how quick he pulls the trigger will be my biggest question.
Doty can stretch the field...at slot receiver with a good QB throwing him the ball.

And with the play of our oline, that means 2 seconds to develop a play. We better have a QB that can scramble, we have seen this script with a pocket passer play over and over again!
More went into the pass protection issues we saw last year. Receivers not getting open meant that QBs had no time to throw the ball. Our OL performed well when it was all on them (run blocking..) and we have some big, strong, EXPERIENCED men returning at that position. I get the negativity after last season but I feel it is miss-placed when directed at the lines.

ADVERTISEMENT