ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce Ellington released by 49ers

I bet so too. Wasn't he injured most of last season?

Bruce and Ace were two of my favorite players from that era. I certainly hope that Bruce is picked up by some team where his skills fits in with their offense.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Man hate to hear that . Sucks to say but I think Bruce is one of a laundry list of USC players that should have stayed on more year . It's alarming how many we lost early who had very limited success in the league . Bruce , Ace, Quarles , Hampton , etc etc etc .. It seems that 10 years ago underclass men would only declare for the draft if they were sure fire 1st round picks . Now it seems that players are declaring if they have a snowballs chance in hell of making a roster and the failure rates are insanely high . Imagine what would have been if Ace would have stuck around for his senior year . One or two big plays from Ace and we beat Tenn for certain and maybe UGA in that shootout in Athens . That's an SEC maybe National Championship team . If Bruce stays for his senior year think about it .... We have Dylan throwing to Bruce , Pharoh , Nick Jones and Damiere Byrd + Davis and Wilds in the backfield . That's a lot of playmakers . That 7-6 team could have easily been another East contender . Think about it . With Bruce , Quarles, and Hampton we probably win at Kentucky , Tenn, Missouri , and maybe even pull that game out against Auburn . That's 11 wins and Spurrier goes out on a high note and coaches are lining up for the job . What could have been . I understand that players need to do what is best for their families but in the long run are they really doing it what's best . 1st round money vs 4th round money is quite significant plus teams are a little less trigger happy to cut ties with a 1st round pick. Guys like Clowney or Gilmore I totally understand the decision , but some of these guys I wonder about .

Man hate to hear that . Sucks to say but I think Bruce is one of a laundry list of USC players that should have stayed on more year . It's alarming how many we lost early who had very limited success in the league . Bruce , Ace, Quarles , Hampton , etc etc etc .. It seems that 10 years ago underclass men would only declare for the draft if they were sure fire 1st round picks . Now it seems that players are declaring if they have a snowballs chance in hell of making a roster and the failure rates are insanely high . Imagine what would have been if Ace would have stuck around for his senior year . One or two big plays from Ace and we beat Tenn for certain and maybe UGA in that shootout in Athens . That's an SEC maybe National Championship team . If Bruce stays for his senior year think about it .... We have Dylan throwing to Bruce , Pharoh , Nick Jones and Damiere Byrd + Davis and Wilds in the backfield . That's a lot of playmakers . That 7-6 team could have easily been another East contender . Think about it . With Bruce , Quarles, and Hampton we probably win at Kentucky , Tenn, Missouri , and maybe even pull that game out against Auburn . That's 11 wins and Spurrier goes out on a high note and coaches are lining up for the job . What could have been . I understand that players need to do what is best for their families but in the long run are they really doing it what's best . 1st round money vs 4th round money is quite significant plus teams are a little less trigger happy to cut ties with a 1st round pick. Guys like Clowney or Gilmore I totally understand the decision , but some of these guys I wonder about .
I believe Bruce stayed four years. He played BB only his first year, both his second and third year, and last year was football only. I could be wrong, I may be mis-remembering.

I believe Bruce stayed four years. He played BB only his first year, both his second and third year, and last year was football only. I could be wrong, I may be mis-remembering.

He did have one more year of eligibility for football but he had already graduated. I think he has a sociology degree . Can't really fault him for leaving if he had already earned his degree . Would have loved to seen him on the field one more year !!

Yuesh.. Ace in 2013 would have been huge. We could've won it all that year

When marginal guys leave early it can usually be attributed to them thinking they can make a paycheck in the NFL. Once that thought is there, they start to check out academically and procedurally from the program. When you were in high school- it was called "senioritis". Many of them will make such a mess off their last semester, they sort of shut the door themselves anyway. Coaches know this, so that's why you don't often see coaches lobby these players to stay. Even if the coaches wanted to convince them to return, the academic picture is bleak and the player has noticeably checked out to the rest of the team. Bringing them back becomes more trouble than just moving on.

We did have many guys leave too early. Hampton, Quarles, Ace, Gurley- to name a few. This needs to be address in the program- use these players as examples. Academic advisers and coaches need to be on these guys during these venerable times. It's one thing to decide you want to leave but it's another to close the door because you checked out academically.

All that said- I think Bruce was ready and will still play in the NFL. I don't know that another year at South Carolina would have helped him. He was coming off a great year- with a fantastic bowl performance.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
When marginal guys leave early it can usually be attributed to them thinking they can make a paycheck in the NFL. Once that thought is there, they start to check out academically and procedurally from the program. When you were in high school- it was called "senioritis". Many of them will make such a mess off their last semester, they sort of shut the door themselves anyway. Coaches know this, so that's why you don't often see coaches lobby these players to stay. Even if the coaches wanted to convince them to return, the academic picture is bleak and the player has noticeably checked out to the rest of the team. Bringing them back becomes more trouble than just moving on.

We did have many guys leave too early. Hampton, Quarles, Ace, Gurley- to name a few. This needs to be address in the program- use these players as examples. Academic advisers and coaches need to be on these guys during these venerable times. It's one thing to decide you want to leave but it's another to close the door because you checked out academically.

All that said- I think Bruce was ready and will still play in the NFL. I don't know that another year at South Carolina would have helped him. He was coming off a great year- with a fantastic bowl performance.

Good analysis, imo.

Great points !!! I do agree that Bruce probably made the right decision . Unless he was gonna grow 5 inches or decrease his 40 time substantially during his senior year !! Not many under 6 foot first round WR unless they are blazers ... John Ross or Tavon Austin type of players . I do agree with you also that we have had ALOT of very marginal player chase the dollars and that culture needs to be addressed .

What happens to a player who stays another year and blows out his knee? They may never get the chance to chase those dollars and realize an NFL dream.

I'm not as critical of those who go as some. I figure they know what they want to do, whether fans think it's smart or not is immaterial.
Will some make a wrong decision? Sure. But that's life.

Just saw that not only are the Chargers possibly losing Mike Williams ( shocker) for an extended amount of time , Their 2nd round pick tore an ACL in practice and is out for the year . Sucks when you you get zilch out of your first top two draft picks in the first season .

Bruce was Mr. Clutch. He made several spectacular 4th down catches to save games. He just knew how to get open.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT