ADVERTISEMENT

Buy Out?

Someone brought this up yesterday on the radio, and it makes sense to me. If Holbrook is fired now, then SC pays him 800K I think. Then if you go after a "big time" baseball coach (there are only a few making a million dollars in college baseball), then you likely have a similar buyout there... so with two buyouts, you are paying between $1.2 and $1.6 million BEFORE you even determine a salary for your new coach. I don't think there is any way the board approves this as I know they are throwing all their money at football right now (the cash cow, while baseball is non-revenue) after Clemson won the title.
I'm going under the assumption that SC wouldn't hire an unknown baseball coach "on the cheap."
With all of that, I'd be willing to bet Holbrook stays for next year, but some sort of change(s) is made on the baseball staff. From a business standpoint, it makes sense.

Someone brought this up yesterday on the radio, and it makes sense to me. If Holbrook is fired now, then SC pays him 800K I think. Then if you go after a "big time" baseball coach (there are only a few making a million dollars in college baseball), then you likely have a similar buyout there... so with two buyouts, you are paying between $1.2 and $1.6 million BEFORE you even determine a salary for your new coach. I don't think there is any way the board approves this as I know they are throwing all their money at football right now (the cash cow, while baseball is non-revenue) after Clemson won the title.
I'm going under the assumption that SC wouldn't hire an unknown baseball coach "on the cheap."
With all of that, I'd be willing to bet Holbrook stays for next year, but some sort of change(s) is made on the baseball staff. From a business standpoint, it makes sense.

I think you'll see Chad be moved to an Administration job with Tanner or batboy...

What a depressing read!

Okay then who goes? Ray is overly loyal to Jerry and Sammy. They've been a fixture on our payroll for many years. Ray is in a tight spot because the fan base could turn on him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT