ADVERTISEMENT

Cal denounces alleged death threats of Referee

stagedoor71

Jan 8, 2004
All teams have crazy fans. Gamecock fan ate a bracket ballot, a week ago. After the win in the Elite 8 he ate live worms. Now he says he will drink a bottle of hot sauce if Gamecocks beat Zags. In case you are interested there is video of this stuff.

I lived in KY for several years and can attest to the fact that there are a lot of crazy people there, but for the record this is an allegation and no one has been identified.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...ce-alleged-threats-made-ref-article-1.3012619

All teams have crazy fans. Gamecock fan ate a bracket ballot, a week ago. After the win in the Elite 8 he ate live worms. Now he says he will drink a bottle of hot sauce if Gamecocks beat Zags. In case you are interested there is video of this stuff.

I lived in KY for several years and can attest to the fact that there are a lot of crazy people there, but for the record this is an allegation and no one has been identified.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/c...ce-alleged-threats-made-ref-article-1.3012619

Sorry.....there is no correlation between a fan performing a stunt for self promotion and what the KY fans are doing to that referee. Also, it is more than an allegation!

Reactions: cockburg
Sorry.....there is no correlation between a fan performing a stunt for self promotion and what the KY fans are doing to that referee. Also, it is more than an allegation!
Cal certainly needs to step up and help put an end to this.

The KY people are gonna kinda get what they want here. That sorry ref will never work one of their games again.

Go to their Rivals site where posters are bragging about trying to ruin this man's life and thinking they have the right to do so. Disgusting.

You do understand that to go to and/or post to any website anywhere your communication must contain specific elements. One is a "header" comprised of encapsulated elements and identifiers that ensure proper response. ONE of these is your IP address. They will find them.

Cal came out on twitter today and said that the fans should behave in a classy manner and discouraged bad behavior.

Also, there's no doubt that there are lunatics in any big passionate fanbase, but this is clearly the lunatic fringe.

KY fan here. I think this is being blown way out. The guys received 400 reviews, (most of them comical) on his PUBLIC business social media page. ok so 400 reviews. UK has a fan base of around 4 million people. UK fans are all of a sudden trash and so is the coach. his is a normal thing in todays social age. To troll a person buisness to show disapproval. as seen on Donald trumps make america great hat ornament that he was selling on amazon as reported here. Just about every news outlet ran this story. I guess people need something to talk about. All I've seen is how bat shit crazy UK fans are. You mean the 400 people who left reviews i guess. lmao. Articles like this need to have some context. Now don't get me wrong, i think Higgins is a steaming piece of shit. He's not a neutral ref. You better hope he doesn't get your game. Everyone from J Williams to Seth Greenburgh have come out and said that game was a screw job and this has been on going for some time. They both agreed UK fans have reasons to be upset. Death threats? No... Trolling the guy on social media... eh .... a good boo anytime he walks on the court.. Absolutely. Knowing what I know about Higgins and his attitude towards fans, I have my doubts that he ever got death threats. The only person who heard the supposed death threat is Higgins. Zero evidence. It literally takes 3 seconds to pull a phone log. So if it was a real death threat... i think it would be dealt with pretty fast. He just likes the media. Is it possible to have happened? sure. Katina Powell (the louisville hooker) received several hundred death threats and you know who didn't step in? the FBI.... You know why? Because its nonsense. Just my take. Good luck this weekend.

KY fan here. I think this is being blown way out. The guys received 400 reviews, (most of them comical) on his PUBLIC business social media page. ok so 400 reviews. UK has a fan base of around 4 million people. UK fans are all of a sudden trash and so is the coach. his is a normal thing in todays social age. To troll a person buisness to show disapproval. as seen on Donald trumps make america great hat ornament that he was selling on amazon as reported here. Just about every news outlet ran this story. I guess people need something to talk about. All I've seen is how bat shit crazy UK fans are. You mean the 400 people who left reviews i guess. lmao. Articles like this need to have some context. Now don't get me wrong, i think Higgins is a steaming piece of shit. He's not a neutral ref. You better hope he doesn't get your game. Everyone from J Williams to Seth Greenburgh have come out and said that game was a screw job and this has been on going for some time. They both agreed UK fans have reasons to be upset. Death threats? No... Trolling the guy on social media... eh .... a good boo anytime he walks on the court.. Absolutely. Knowing what I know about Higgins and his attitude towards fans, I have my doubts that he ever got death threats. The only person who heard the supposed death threat is Higgins. Zero evidence. It literally takes 3 seconds to pull a phone log. So if it was a real death threat... i think it would be dealt with pretty fast. He just likes the media. Is it possible to have happened? sure. Katina Powell (the louisville hooker) received several hundred death threats and you know who didn't step in? the FBI.... You know why? Because its nonsense. Just my take. Good luck this weekend.
Good basis for a libel case. A referee is not a public figure so much, much easier to get a judgment. It'd be interesting to see if some enterprising lawyer would take this on....400 potential defendants? Joint and several liability....I'm sure a few have some significant assets to go after.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Would a person who has signed a broadcast agreement to allow his likeness to be broadcast to a international audience multiple times a year not be subject to involuntary public figure status, and therefore be subjected to public scrutiny? Personally, I don't think he would win that case. His business may not either considering it's called Roofarees. So he's obviously trying to profit from his public likeness. At least that's what any decent lawyer might argue. I don't know the specifics of libel law and public figures or any precedents set forth. I'm willing to bet there will be no law suit forthcoming.

Would a person who has signed a broadcast agreement to allow his likeness to be broadcast to a international audience multiple times a year not be subject to involuntary public figure status, and therefore be subjected to public scrutiny? Personally, I don't think he would win that case. His business may not either considering it's called Roofarees. So he's obviously trying to profit from his public likeness. At least that's what any decent lawyer might argue. I don't know the specifics of libel law and public figures or any precedents set forth. I'm willing to bet there will be no law suit forthcoming.
This is the best definition for a "public figure" that I've seen: A public figure is someone who has gained a significant degree of fame or notoriety in general or in the context of a particular issue or controversy. Even though these figures have no official role in government affairs, they often hold considerable influence over decisions made by the government or by the public. Examples of public figures are numerous and could include, for instance, celebrities, prominent athletes, or advocates who involve themselves in a public debate.

Don't believe a college referee even with a business name that plays on the word "referree" would meet that standard.

Kentucky fans who support your coach have been considered trash for quite some time now.

Last edited:
"Comical"? They have tried to ruin this man's business and his life. Do you read your own Rivals forum? Posters on there openly admitting they don't care if the man's life is ruined and that he somehow deserves it. Face it. Your fan base is mostly made of men who live and breathe Kentucky basketball, anything else be damned. It's scary.

Reactions: MtpleasantDave
"Comical"? They have tried to ruin this man's business and his life. Do you read your own Rivals forum? Posters on there openly admitting they don't care if the man's life is ruined and that he somehow deserves it. Face it. Your fan base is mostly made of men who live and breathe Kentucky basketball, anything else be damned. It's scary.

This isn't true. No doubt UK has a large passionate fanbase, and with that comes a looney fringe, but the message board does not represent an entire fanbase (just like this one doesn't). It's possible to say that the guy is a terrible ref who has cost UK a number of big games, while also disavowing idiots who would threaten a guy's life over a basketball game. The two concepts are not mutually exclusive.

The crazies are a good representation of KY fans and how they think and view things.

With fan base as large as UK's the entire spectrum of people will be represented , including the unbalanced ones. We all have them, usually the worst fans are the ones that never attended , much less graduated from the school they so rabidly support. That ratio seems to be much higher at clemson for some reason, seriously.

Mike Washington deserved a prison sentence when he stole the Clemson game from us!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT