ADVERTISEMENT

Cam Smith 100 million

Your mistake is misidentifying globalism.

Really? Please clarify.

In this country, conglomerates swallow (or take a bite out of) others all the time for various reasons independent of profit (e.g. create/squash competition, etc.) Also, our government now leverages immunity for partial control of media and tech companies.

Why is the PGA-LIV scenario any different on a global scale?

Last edited:
How so. Watching a swing every 30 seconds vs 3 min of commentating and then a swing is a no brainer. Atleast for the viewer. What’s not to like about LIV.

You only like the LIV tour because of the money being thrown around. It's just weird you automatically equate better with cost/wealth.

How so. Watching a swing every 30 seconds vs 3 min of commentating and then a swing is a no brainer. Atleast for the viewer. What’s not to like about LIV.
For me,it’s to fast.it’s like watching regular golf but in fast forward.I like to hear the interactions between golfer and caddy,especially between the leaders.i like the “playing through” .

Reactions: Cock-a-Doo
Really? Please clarify.

In this country, conglomerates swallow (or take a bite out of) others all the time for various reasons independent of profit (e.g. create/squash competition, etc.) Also, our government now leverages immunity for partial control of media and tech companies.

Why is the PGA-LIV scenario any different on a global scale?

What is your alternative? The government or presidential administrations picking winners and losers based on the politics of the current occupant of the white house?

What happens if the Saudi’s bail and pull the rug out from under it when they find something better!

I think that’s the most likely scenario at this point - it’s not meant to be a business to make money and there’s really no point to having the top 100 golfers on salary if you aren’t going to use them for something useful.

Everyone keeps saying this outlay of cash is a drop in the bucket for the Saudi’s (and it is), but is this just a power play where the Saudis get to say that they own a bunch of rich white people?

I think that’s the most likely scenario at this point - it’s not meant to be a business to make money and there’s really no point to having the top 100 golfers on salary if you aren’t going to use them for something useful.

Everyone keeps saying this outlay of cash is a drop in the bucket for the Saudi’s (and it is), but is this just a power play where the Saudis get to say that they own a bunch of rich white people?

Agree. What is the long term play? Are they really going to invest in growing the game at the youth level?

How does that work? Junior leagues sponsored by the Saudi Royal Family? The South Carolina Junior Golf League underwritten by the Saudi Youth Golf Association? Maybe that will work in some parts of the USA and the world, but I have doubts about overall acceptance.

You might need a little tinfoil.

What happens if the Saudi’s bail and pull the rug out from under it when they find something better!

I think they are playing for the long term. The Saudis want to be accepted on the world stage, but their severe restrictions on freedom and associations with various terrorist groups will always make that an impossibility no matter how many people they pay off.

This is what I’ve heard Tiger Woods will say today in the their meeting:

Only a fully trained PGA Pro, with the PGA as his ally, will conquer LIV and his Emperor. If you end your training now, if you choose the quick and easy path as the others did, you will become an agent of evil.

Reactions: Ward Jr
This is what I’ve heard Tiger Woods will say today in the their meeting:

Only a fully trained PGA Pro, with the PGA as his ally, will conquer LIV and his Emperor. If you end your training now, if you choose the quick and easy path as the others did, you will become an agent of evil.

Yep. China buying up our farmland, placing spy software on US products (DJI drones, TIKTOK, etc.) and reckless virus weapon research seems far more relevant right now than the Saudis buying up golfers.

Reactions: dual_tiger
Yep. China buying up our farmland, placing spy software on US products (DJI drones, TIKTOK, etc.) and reckless virus weapon research seems far more relevant right now than the Saudis buying up golfers.

Speaking of buying farmland, states like Texas and Alabama have rather lax laws related to foreign countries buying farms. Texas is too busy fighting the culture wars to toughen up their laws.

The Saudis don't just buy up golfers. They invest in financial services heavily. Jared Kushner - one of many.

Reactions: Bftboy
Speaking of buying farmland, states like Texas and Alabama have rather lax laws related to foreign countries buying farms. Texas is too busy fighting the culture wars to toughen up their laws.

The Saudis don't just buy up golfers. They invest in financial services heavily. Jared Kushner - one of many.

How is this any different than the Hunter Biden business dealings? Russia owns half of South Florida and we aren't talking about that either.

H.R. 7892 is just sitting there. I wonder what either of your two faces has to say about that. Either way, it would be a lie. Of course, Joetato would never enforce such a law against his CCP allies.

How is this any different than the Hunter Biden business dealings? Russia owns half of South Florida and we aren't talking about that either.

I am not sure it is any different other than Hunter Biden isn't a presidential administration employee like Kushner was. Plus, I am not sure anyone can match Kushner's 2 billion.

Russia has been sending women to Miami for a long time just in time to have babies that are American citizens.

I am not sure it is any different other than Hunter Biden isn't a presidential administration employee like Kushner was. Plus, I am not sure anyone can match Kushner's 2 billion.

Russia has been sending women to Miami for a long time just in time to have babies that are American citizens.

It's a $2 Billion Investment Fund allocation. Plus, it was disclosed and is currently being investigated. No one lied to Americans over and over again about it. Those are pretty big distinctions.

It's a $2 Billion Investment Fund allocation. Plus, it was disclosed and is currently being investigated. No one lied to Americans over and over again about it. Those are pretty big distinctions.
Yes- an "allocation" to Kusher's company.

The same Kushner who, as a white house aide, used Whatsapp to communicate with the Saudi dictator.

I am perfectly fine with those attacking Hunter Biden's business dealings (not a government official), as long as they don't try to then defend the business dealings of Trump's family members- even while they worked in the white house.

I see now the topic I started has turned from golf and more politics. Not my intention of the post, mods feel free to remove if necessary.

Reactions: bucketdad
I see now the topic I started has turned from golf and more politics. Not my intention of the post, mods feel free to remove if necessary.

Isn't that the rub with a lot of these topics though? If LIV was a US organization, there would be little to no concern about them starting a new league and/or competing with the PGA. It would probably be welcomed.

Back on topic: thought this kinda funny.still a few years away though:

patrick Reed has filed a massive lawsuit against Brandel Chamblee. A lawsuit filed by Larry Klayman- a lawyer with a history of doing this and losing.

Isn't that the rub with a lot of these topics though? If LIV was a US organization, there would be little to no concern about them starting a new league and/or competing with the PGA. It would probably be welcomed.

Nah. I don't think most would welcome a group paying golfers hundreds of millions just to poach them and screw over the existing tour. Espcially if that US organization had any sort of history like Saudi Arabia

in its own scales down way, we are seeing college football totally revamped with the money that has now become totally within the rules and lots of people are complaining about how college football and the tradition of college football is being torn apart

well that also applies to the PGA tour but on a much bigger scale

I could be wrong but I think I read that Norman said that they was full for next year and only would take someone worth while taking.I’m pretty sure they over the limit now and forcing players to sit .Is it safe to assume that some of them are signed for maybe one/two years and won’t be resigned.Will they be left out to dry when that happens?

It's one thing to overpay to get a competitive advantage - with the hopes of creating a new business. That's not happening here. There's literally no end game where the LIV makes money in the next 20 years with their capital outlay today. This is all for something else - and it's being done with the endless Saudi funds.

I could be wrong but I think I read that Norman said that they was full for next year and only would take someone worth while taking.I’m pretty sure they over the limit now and forcing players to sit .Is it safe to assume that some of them are signed for maybe one/two years and won’t be resigned.Will they be left out to dry when that happens?

Maybe but most will have tens of millions in the bank. So I don't know if I would describe that as "left out to dry" but I know what you are saying.

Some players just live for the Majors. That's true now. They don't really care about the other tournaments.

in LIV, you don't really have to care about anything. You get paid massive amounts no matter what.

The LiV Tour will fade but will do harm to the PGA tour.
I just see the guys jumping to the LiV as weak.

All this could have been avoided if the players and tour would have talked but deep down,do you think the pga players will thank Phil and the others for getting the pga to make changes?For as I know,they could have talked last year and the pga didn’t make any changes.

Reactions: bucketdad
I am not sure if I pulled employees from another business I'd pay them huge sums of money before they did any work- and guarantee them huge sums of money whether they performed well or not.

I mean this likely isn't important to some people but their model is anti-American in terms of how Americans understand pay for performance.
Kinda like NIL?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT