ADVERTISEMENT

Campus and Columbia

spardue

Aug 26, 2018
Don’t mean any disrespect to any Columbia residents. I’m a USC grad and lived in Columbia several years post graduation. Was in town over the weekend and walked around campus. Goodness, it was old and dirty. I hope the school has plans to begin updating the horseshoe area back to Capstone and Columbia Hall. It’s WAY past due.

Reactions: Crazy Cock 89
Don’t mean any disrespect to any Columbia residents. I’m a USC grad and lived in Columbia several years post graduation. Was in town over the weekend and walked around campus. Goodness, it was old and dirty. I hope the school has plans to begin updating the horseshoe area back to Capstone and Columbia Hall. It’s WAY past due.

This is odd to me. I took my high schooler down to campus about 2 months ago because he might go there in a few years after 2 free years at tech. We ate lunch on campus and walked around and we were both really impressed.

It was the first time I had really walked around in several years (even though I do go down to see my college junior a few times a month- I normally just drive through).

I thought the campus looked great.

In fact, I was talking to a upper level administrative official at another south carolina university a few weeks ago and he told me he had been down to the USC campus to walk around and was using some ideas there back at his school. He originally worked at a university in the Midwest before coming to South Carolina and he was bragging on the campus to me. He admitted to being jealous of the budget of our landscaping department and the equipment they have.

Reactions: lostcock
Was just at UF and noted how aged their infrastructure looked versus what we have at USC. Downtown Columbia has its issues but the campus as a whole still shines.

When I get down to SC in April, I may take a trip to Columbia with my HS freshman son to let him get a feel for the campus. I'll get back to yall with my impressions.

This is odd to me. I took my high schooler down to campus about 2 months ago because he might go there in a few years after 2 free years at tech. We ate lunch on campus and walked around and we were both really impressed.

It was the first time I had really walked around in several years (even though I do go down to see my college junior a few times a month- I normally just drive through).

In fact, I was talking to a upper level administrative official at another south carolina university a few weeks ago and he told me he had been down to the USC campus to walk around and was using some ideas there back at his school. He originally worked at a university in the Midwest before coming to South Carolina and he was bragging on the campus to me. He admitted to being jealous of the budget of our landscaping department and the equipment they have.
Ok I have finally found something I’m in total agreement with DeeDave on! Completely agree. Think the campus looks great!

Admittedly, I live in Greenville where everything is newer and where there’s a good bit of growth. Columbia just seems stagnant. But, just one man’s opinion.

Admittedly, I live in Greenville where everything is newer and where there’s a good bit of growth. Columbia just seems stagnant. But, just one man’s opinion.

I'm not trying to really argue but Greenville is nicer than Columbia from a city point of view.

But your post was about the campus. The city and the USC campus are sort of different things.

the USC campus is in great shape and the walk from the horseshoe back over to Gambrell Hall and that area of campus is in great condition.

I think the campus overall is in very nice condition.

Man, you are all over the place. I don't even know what you are talking about. First you mention Columbia Residents being offended, then talk about the USC campus. What do Columbia residents have to do with the USC campus? Then, after dissing the campus you start comparing Greenville to Columbia. Again, what does that have to do with the USC campus? It doesn't sound like you know what you're talking about.

Columbia IS stagnant. The campus is as beautiful as it’s ever been. Always some construction project going on, but in a few years, it will be great just in time for several more projects. Not sure what you mean by back to Capstone/CH? Do you mean renovations from The Horseshoe past Humanities, Gambrell, old Darla Moore up College Street til you reach those dorms? No idea what’s up with them, but Cliff, Bates and and Bates West (area) are gone, and the replacement(s) will be nice by 2023 and the current top of the line in student housing. The only thing I don’t really like is closing off Greene near the Russell House permanently, but it definitely makes it more collegial and safer for students, and they keep changing up the Grand Market Place, but it was much better to me back until about 2017-18 when it was wide open with the cafeteria setup, that ballpark? grill, and a couple of other things. Now it has a Chick Fila, and is just real choppy, but I neither have a student there, nor do I go to school anymore. Paid article, but you get the gist.

USC frequently renovates their "historic" buildings (the one's they won't tear down). They just finished LeConte and I think the Caroliniana library. The redo on the Journalism building a few years ago was awesome. I was still a student and Hootie played a small concert on the horseshoe for the opening of the building. Columbia is dusty, but campus is continual improvement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT