ADVERTISEMENT

Can a coach comment if staley is a good X and O coach in big games?

palmettocock1

Jan 9, 2004
I feel most of the times she lets talent take over and dosent seem to have a plan . Thank you

Originally posted by palmettocock1:
I feel most of the times she lets talent take over and dosent seem to have a plan . Thank you
Sometimes the other team just wins no matter what game plan you have. You don't have a game plan for missing snowbirds and being out played.

X's and O's are not the problem. We need to do a better job of finishing our shots and taking better care of the basketball.

If teams are able to clog up the lane and neutralize our size advantage....

it is going to force us to be a better shooting team. We have struggled with that at times (i.e. Missouri). We have shown we have the talent to compete with and beat anybody. I think DS is a good Xs and Os coach. What she has shown is a tendency not to adapt her gameplan or make adjustments in-game if something isn't working. In almost every case our talent has allowed us to overcome this.

Layups and turnovers plus a little home cooking on fouling. How many foul shots did they shoot?

Re: get a grip, we were outplayed. it does happen.*

Earlier in the season, a commentator made the comment that free throw shooting would be our demise if it did not improve.

We had a few players just going through the motions tonight, or so it seemed.

Our big's need to learn to head fake, drop step, and USE THE SQUARE on the backboard, plus a few other moves in the paint. We miss way too many close shots.

Still only lost two games in the regular season. I complain here a little, but it really is hard to not be pleased with where our WBB program is these days!

How is players missing layups and uncontested shots a foot or two from the basket bad X's and O's coaching?

The only thing I see that is consistently bad as far as coaching goes is we are as bad as I have seen at blocking out for rebounds. We rebound well, but it could be great if we blocked out.

Our coaches are great developers of talent, in my opinion. Keep in mind that, of 4 McDonald's All-Americans on our team, 3 are freshmen and 1 is a sophomore. Staley and company have gotten us to this point with primarily 2nd tier talent coming in and they have "coached them up", to use Spurrier parlance. Our 2014 recruiting class was the first top ten class that Staley has had, but this is the 2nd straight year the team has been ranked in the top ten.

it was just one of those nights during an away-game when our team's marginal play on both ends of the court was contagious. Plenty of blame to go around everywhere for this loss. Hopefully this kind of game is out of our system, now.

Hope it is not the case...but this team appears to have the same issues and problems as last year's team.
Our guards get manic at times and turn the ball over...and our bigs don't finish at the rim.
Those issues have got to change if we are going to make a deep run in the NCAA's.

This post was edited on 3/2 10:48 AM by Garnet Man

I think DS is an excellent recruiter. She and her staff may be good developers of talent but she gets outcoached in big games more often than not. If she wins a national championship it will be more on talent than coaching.

Coach Staley is definitely an outstanding recruiter and coach! Obviously, she is one of the greatest guards to ever play the game, male or female, college or pro. I'm certain that she has an extensive knowledge of the game of basketball and knows how to best teach that knowledge. Let's keep in mind that she is probably dealing with several players who are so talented that their previous coaches may have overlooked some fundamental flaws in their game. This is a very young team, in a lot of ways. Personally, I would like to see the Lady G's more fundamentally sound on defense (especially footwork) and use better spacing and much better passing on offense. Sometimes the lack of individual discipline and team focus drives me nuts, but I'm sure that all of the above probably gets to Coach Staley even more. She would likely be the first to admit that this team is a work in progress.

Our biggest flaw is perimeter defense. With guards that are quick and can shoot, we have a hard time guarding from 12-15 feet and out. We have great athletes but it's evident by watching us play against teams with good guards (Kentucky and UConn) that our guards have a hard time fighting through screens. Tiffany Mitchell needs to man up their best guard shooter. She has a little more reach and height than Sessions.

That's the biggest thing I see. Free throws will come and go and I don't think that is a cause for concern. But I see people post on here about how good girls shoot against us. A lot of that has to do with our perimeter defense. I would like to see a 3-2 defense against Kentucky, UConn and teams with good guard play. Or if you want to play man, you need to face up and not let your man get the ball. I see too many times, defenders watch their man catch the ball and THEN want to play defense. There is only one way to not let your man score, and that's not let them touch the ball. Easier said than done, yes. However UConn face guarded Mitchell 8 minutes into the game for that very reason. If she doesn't touch the ball, she can't score.

We have more depth than any team we have played or will play. I would like to see us use that to our advantage. Keep a fresh defensive player on their best guard/shooter throughout the game. If done correctly, the player will get frustrated.

We need better play from our guards, especially on the defensive end. Then again, if you don't score more than 20 points in the first half, it will be hard to win any game.

But X's and O's...Yes she is good at drawing up plays out of timeouts, etc. We ran some really good plays late in the game to get Roy some open looks, especially on the inbound plays under the basket.
This post was edited on 3/2 3:13 PM by mtubs18

Most all of the season they have looked great except for a few games. I think it is time to abandon the senior first team and play the best players starting. Work on those layups and foul shots and the perimeter shots. The last two games the defense has allowed more quick lay ups by the opposition. Regroup and win the tournament and go strong from there.

Other than layups and foul shots and perimeter shots and sloppy play and free throws and bad decisions and turnovers and disorganization and poor court leadership and lack of a championship attitude, everything's good.

All of these have been clear issues throughout the year, but they all came into play at once last night. The team has largely been able to out "athlete" weak opponents and to rely on depth to outlast the competition. This has masked big flaws throughout the year. You can get away with this against 90% of women's b-ball teams, which gets you co-championships, 27-2 records, and big regular season losses to elite teams, if that's the goal.

If this had been a Frank Martin coached team, I wonder what the reaction would have been to that mess last night. The biggest disappointment was that the coaching staff didn't call out the whole team publically for going through the motions, overall laziness of effort and attitude, and a big lack of heart at championship winning time. Brad Muller has used the term "ugly play" many times in the last couple of weeks and that's the truth.

Last night showed a lack of senior leadership, effort, anger, and "want to" from physically talented athletes, and this is becoming an unwelcome theme around here (see football and baseball to date). As Spurrier said, there's a disturbing feeling emerging that many of these athletes just don't care when they lose games in embarrassing fashion. They, and their coaches, just say, "it's all good." And it's not that it was just a loss - bad nights happen. It was an embarrassing effort in a game where you are the superior team and you must win for an outright conference championship. It's something that elite teams fight for and win...no excuses. It's not a December game in the Bahamas.

This team will not get to the Elite 8. Championship teams don't go 5-7 minutes without scoring two times in a game. Championship teams don't consistently turn the ball over 15-20 times. And they don't shoot less than 30% from anywhere - 3 pt, layups, free-throws. Connecticut doesn't do what the Gamecocks did last night.

This is a good team with a very good regular season record. Unfortunately, there are a lot of those in the tournament. I don't think that the Gamecocks have the consistently superior team game and never-give-up fight to be a championship level team. Get ready for a Sweet 16 disappointment.

This post was edited on 3/2 7:56 PM by coq-au-vandy

Originally posted by Garnet chicken:
Most all of the season they have looked great except for a few games. I think it is time to abandon the senior first team and play the best players starting. Work on those layups and foul shots and the perimeter shots. The last two games the defense has allowed more quick lay ups by the opposition. Regroup and win the tournament and go strong from there.
It is time for this ...

Coq you want to make a wager on that sweet 16 comment. This team has struggled a we bit lately but to think they want make it past 2 rounds especially considering they will more than likely be at home is nothing more than a troll post and I guess I bit.

Originally posted by Garnet chicken:
Layups and turnovers plus a little home cooking on fouling. How many foul shots did they shoot?
Around 35!

Originally posted by Lowcountry Cock:
Are we really complaining about a coach who is 27-2?

Wow!
Welcome to GCC. Holbrook needs to be fired today, too. Chris, Brian and Wes do a great job but some of our posters are well, not very bright.

Originally posted by Lowcountry Cock:
Are we really complaining about a coach who is 27-2?

Wow!
Of course they are! We have better basketball, football & baseball coaches posting here than we do actually coaching. It is amazing how much more posters know than the actual coaches If only they would donate their time and talents we could win the NC in all 3 sports.

ADVERTISEMENT