ADVERTISEMENT

Can all the Holbrook sympathetic followers please give it a rest for Lords sake?

ChairForceCock

Gold Member
Aug 17, 2001
I have stayed away from a lot of this talk, but I am so tired of the butt-hurt "so who do we go after to fire now", and similar comments. You sound like a child in time out. He is gone, it is a done deal. He took a great program and made it mediocre. He had five years which is a lot longer than many basketball and football coaches we had. Many thought he should have been gone last year, and was given another chance. He is a grown ass man and will be fine. Pretty sure he is a millionaire D-1 baseball coach who will get another job. I think we can all admit he is a good coach, but not great. Ask yourself this, with the team we had going into this season, should he have at the very least, went to regionals? Simple yes or no question. If you say no, you are a liar. Sometimes a coach is let go because you just need a change.

Tony Dungy did the impossible, and made winners out of the Buccaneers. Not only that, he made them into an established program. After three straight playoff seasons (4 out of 5 straight years) he was fired. He was not fired because he wasn't a good coach, he wasn't fired because they were not winning, he was fired because ownership did not think he could take them to the next level. Also, because of his calm approach to his teams, ownership thought they needed to go opposite, and bring in more liveliness to the team. Enter Jon Gruden, they win it all the next year. Sure, they completely sold out to win the big one, because the whole program that Dungy built fell apart after the Super Bowl.

So, what happened to poor little Tony, he went to Indy. He and Manning won the Super Bowl, and the rest is history.

Don't mix emotions with business. That is why good gamblers never bet on their own team. It clouds your judgement. I like Chad, dude loves the Gamecocks and gave it all he had. I am not happy he is out of a job, but I am happy he is no longer the coach of the Gamecocks. I wish him well.

Hey, Puddle Pirate, what year did you graduate from Carolina???

I joined the Air Force when I was 17, did 4 years, then Coast Guard for 20 years. Online classes, night classes during my career, and college after I retired at age 42. Attended various schools. Never had much idea what I wanted to do, just loved taking classes, and they were getting paid for by the military. When attending the school after retiring, I received an offer to work at a DoD Elementary School in Beaufort (Marines). Best thing to ever happen to me. Love it. None of the schools I attended were USC. Daughter graduated from USC with masters two years ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I have stayed away from a lot of this talk, but I am so tired of the butt-hurt "so who do we go after to fire now", and similar comments. You sound like a child in time out. He is gone, it is a done deal. He took a great program and made it mediocre. He had five years which is a lot longer than many basketball and football coaches we had. Many thought he should have been gone last year, and was given another chance. He is a grown ass man and will be fine. Pretty sure he is a millionaire D-1 baseball coach who will get another job. I think we can all admit he is a good coach, but not great. Ask yourself this, with the team we had going into this season, should he have at the very least, went to regionals? Simple yes or no question. If you say no, you are a liar. Sometimes a coach is let go because you just need a change.

Tony Dungy did the impossible, and made winners out of the Buccaneers. Not only that, he made them into an established program. After three straight playoff seasons (4 out of 5 straight years) he was fired. He was not fired because he wasn't a good coach, he wasn't fired because they were not winning, he was fired because ownership did not think he could take them to the next level. Also, because of his calm approach to his teams, ownership thought they needed to go opposite, and bring in more liveliness to the team. Enter Jon Gruden, they win it all the next year. Sure, they completely sold out to win the big one, because the whole program that Dungy built fell apart after the Super Bowl.

So, what happened to poor little Tony, he went to Indy. He and Manning won the Super Bowl, and the rest is history.

Don't mix emotions with business. That is why good gamblers never bet on their own team. It clouds your judgement. I like Chad, dude loves the Gamecocks and gave it all he had. I am not happy he is out of a job, but I am happy he is no longer the coach of the Gamecocks. I wish him well.

One of the best posts ever !! Thumbs Up !!

Good post, but I hate that phrase "butt hurt" and wish it would go away.

It sounds so ... I dunno ... maybe butt hurt in reverse. Like somebody who wants to go hurt somebody's butt.

Course, I'm old.

Agreed. Don't understand how if Ray Tanner, his best friend in the coaching business, decides it's time to go how can anyone make the point he should stay.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I have never understood the whole infatuation with someone having to be an Alumnus from USC. Honestly, the biggest fans I know never attended college period. They have lived and breathed Carolina since they were born. Hell, truth be told most students at college don't give two craps about sports anymore.

Great post. I wish somebody would pay me what Holbrook got paid for 5 years and then fire me.

tenor.gif

Students do care about sports and Iam sure there are studies showing increased enrollments due to successes on the football field.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT