ADVERTISEMENT

Can anyone name a Quarterback who went from rags to riches...

world famous 3rd base hecklers

Sep 25, 2011
Jake Delhomme for the Panthers third string quarterback...

Kurt Warner twice for the Rams and Cardinals...

Tom Brady for the Patriots and started the 2000 season as the fourth string quarterback...

Tony Romo for the Cowboys...

Perry Orth for the Gamecocks... Was bagging for Publix...

The best Non-quarterback...

Vince Papale, a 30-year-old bartender from South Philadelphia walked on Philadelphia Eagles

Tom Brady for the Patriots and started the 2000 season as the fourth string quarterback...

Vince Papale, a 30-year-old bartender from South Philadelphia walked on Philadelphia Eagles

jim plunkett

Johnny Unitas was signed off a Pittsburgh sand lot by the Baltimore Colts while playing for an amateur team, the 'Bloomfield Rams' for $6/game. He'd played college ball for Louisville as a 6'1" - 145 pound QB but was deemed 'too skinny' by the Pittsburgh Steelers, who had 'area rights' to him. Pittsburgh never even let him take a snap during tryouts.
Twenty years later Unitas had won three NFL MVP awards, several World Championships and held the NFL record for consecutive games with at least one TD pass (47) for 40-years until Drew Brees broke it in 2012.
Unitas is widely considered to be among the greatest players of all-time.

There was a skinny preacher's son that, while never in rags certainly wasn't the richest kid in Tennessee who traveled to Florida then the NFL where he hung around for a decade or so before giving coaching a try, that gig making him 'rich enough' to walk away from a guaranteed $15 million at the 'pro' level which was not suited to his style at all of playing who HE wanted to play not who he was TOLD to play due to popularity or whatever.

His 'net worth' is rumored to be somewhere between $15-$20 million, which - albeit ain't jet plane, helicopter, mega-yacht, ski chalet, Malibu beach house, Wyoming ranch, Irish castle rich ain't bad.

It's provided him with a Florida beach house, more than one watch, a pretty nice SUV and all the golf shirts he wants while still having enough loose change to try out 'bout any new driver that might be in favor in any particular year. Somebody put his name on two different stadium facades he's in the Hall of Fame his coaching record is pretty good and his playing record was decent, as well.

He's managed to keep the first wife he tried and she's still good looking so he's rich right there. He still has his health several children who say 'sir' and good friends all over the world. Seems rich to me.

Reactions: Cock-Vader

Cole trickle, he hit nascar by surprise

Warren Moon was undrafted, had to go to Canada to play QB, gets NFL shot and ends up in the Hall of Fame. I don't think anyone tops that one.

I also like the Plunkett reference. He went from riches (Heisman, first pick) to rags (traded then released) to riches (Super Bowl MVP).

Warren Moon was undrafted, had to go to Canada to play QB, gets NFL shot and ends up in the Hall of Fame. I don't think anyone tops that one.

I also like the Plunkett reference. He went from riches (Heisman, first pick) to rags (traded then released) to riches (Super Bowl MVP).

Two good references there, though Plunkett was my favorite as a kid!!

That game between the Bills & Oilers killed his chances...

But I would take Warren Moon anytime.. He was a great passer...

Orth? From rags to riches......

Careful there, you don't want the NCAA snooping around. ;)

How about Flutie? Wasn't he kind of unknown before that Hail Mary.. Went on to play in the NFL for a While, had some big moments there...

By rags to riches I assume you mean obscure to starter/ hero, correct? Not necessarily monetarily...

How about Flutie? Wasn't he kind of unknown before that Hail Mary.. Went on to play in the NFL for a While, had some big moments there...

By rags to riches I assume you mean obscure to starter/ hero, correct? Not necessarily monetarily...

Not the same... Flutie was a good college QB going 1-0-1 against Clemson back in the 1983 & 1984.. Or something like that...

No one ever heard of before they caught fired...

Jake Delhomme, Kurt Warner, Tom Brady, Tony Romo and Vince Papale...

No one in the College world has ever heard of Perry Orth, but will after he beats UGA this weekend...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT