ADVERTISEMENT

Can College Football buck the low sports ratings

fowl_mood

Gold Member
Oct 28, 1998
trend. It appears, all politics aside, that NBA, MLB and Nascar are hurting.

Is it the lack of live fans?

Are other worries distracting us?

Is sports just less important now?

Can College, with strong local fan bases, drag viewers back to TV? Would a LSU- Alabama Saturday game at 800 PM take the night?

Personally, I think fans consider all sports efforts now to be illitigitimate given the unique circumstances we face.

Until our lives get back to baseline, I don't think most fans will consider current efforts to be baseline. And many won't watch.

Note that all three leagues or races you named recently introduced politics to some extent. Politics always irritates half of the viewers. Sometimes more. I watch sports for sports, not to have even the candidate I like spouting politics. I think colleges will do a lot better at keeping the games focused just on the players and football. As long as they are good games, aimed at a real championship, it will generate interest. A lot could go wrong.

Reactions: Expro19
Note that all three leagues or races you named recently introduced politics to some extent. Politics always irritates half of the viewers. Sometimes more. I watch sports for sports, not to have even the candidate I like spouting politics. I think colleges will do a lot better at keeping the games focused just on the players and football. As long as they are good games, aimed at a real championship, it will generate interest. A lot could go wrong.

Could not agree more. All of those sports have allowed liberal causes take them over. College sports better take heed. Leave your politics at the stadium admission gates

The NCAA announced Thursday that players in all sports would be able to wear patches on their uniforms beginning in 2020. These patches could be to support social justice causes or to memorialize a person or event. Jul 30, 2020

The NCAA announced Thursday that players in all sports would be able to wear patches on their uniforms beginning in 2020. These patches could be to support social justice causes or to memorialize a person or event. Jul 30, 2020
If this is fact, then I may lose one of my great loves in life.

Pre-Covid 19 I would have considered myself a fan of the major sports, especially gamecock sports. Our football team was getting a little rough to watch, but even then we had some shocking moments (Beating Top 3 Ranked UGA between the hedges!). I was elated about the performance of our women's basketball team, and the fab freshman. It still amazes me that of all years for this to happen, it had to happen when we had probably one of the best assembled teams in SEC/WCBB history with great odds at competing for a National Title! Unfortunately we'll never know if we could have beaten the Ducks??

NFL, NBA, Nascar, BB, it didn't matter...I didn't let the political bluster from all sides keep me from enjoying games that I grew up watching and playing as a kid. There are actual moments in my life where particular sport's events have defined an era for me (Numerous MJ buzzer beaters, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Mark Mcgwire in BB, Andrew Pinnock fumbling the ball through the endzone against UGA, The Fade, CWS title runs...too many to count. I can remember what I was doing, who I was with, etc...the way those moments made me feel.

What I think you may find is there are a lot of people just like me who couldn't care less about political affiliations in sports, but were forced not to be able to watch, attend, or plan entire days/meals, etc... around "THE" game. Covid 19 caused all of this to come to a screeching halt, and I was forced to find other things to do with my time that did not involve sitting around a TV or being in a grass field all day. And when I was forced to find other things, I found that it was actually quite nice just to be able to spend more time with family, get outside more, finish projects around the house, work in the yard, practice the piano etc...It was less stress on me personally as well as on my wallet (well only a little less stress on the wallet!).

While I would love to watch the Gamecocks compete if we are fortunate enough to have a season, I'm not sure that I would go back to the full blown Die Hard that I once was. I found that life is too short, and there are far too many more important things than feeling superior to someone else because I have bragging rights or somehow feel better about myself because I "support" a winner, and the rest of you are losers. Even though NBA, Nascar, BB has been back on, I have yet to really watch a game, and it has nothing to do about "boycotting" or "protesting" sports due to someone else's current political leanings.

IMHO, it will be tough to get people back to how it was during the pinnacle of excitement. Many fans have simply found other things to do over the last 5 or so months. Of course, winning games generates excitement for the winning team, but I'm not sure we'll ever see the pure widespread FANdemonium that we've enjoyed across multiple sports over the last 2-3 decades.

Last edited:
Only time will tell how this plays out. We will have to see.

Yeah, but unless the TV people are stupid enough to spend a lot of time doing close ups of that and talking it to death, no one will notice.

I honestly believe the lack of fans is KILLING sports right now. I don't watch baseball or basketball, but I do typically enjoy hockey. But the games feel unimportant with no fans. I haven't sat through a whole game since they have returned. NASCAR was already headed down the drain. They have live fans, but no one cared even before the pandemic.

Yeah, but unless the TV people are stupid enough to spend a lot of time doing close ups of that and talking it to death, no one will notice.

This is what I'm thinking. ESPN could spend a lot of time highlighting this, and annoy people. Or they could move on to the game, and a lot of people would not notice or care.

Reactions: Silver_Coconut
The problem with politics in sports is that it won't be limited to the patches. It will consume the narrative and be the majority of what they talk about. It will divide people and then be used to punish the folks that don't fall into line with whatever opinion the left wing nut jobs on twitter current have their panties in a wad over. People watch sports for entertainment, not to be bombarded with people's politics. That's what shows like Rachel Maddow and Hannity are for.

This is what I'm thinking. ESPN could spend a lot of time highlighting this, and annoy people. Or they could move on to the game, and a lot of people would not notice or care.

ESPN is owned by Disney, who just decided that Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah is somehow racist. I think I know which way it's going to go.

Actually, NBA ratings had dropped for the past two years. However, they have increased for the bubble. The lack of fans has not diminished the viewing experience for me at all and I have never watched sports to see what people are going to do for the National Anthem. Truth be told, the National Anthem had always been the time for me to make a sandwich or get a quick chore done before the game starts. So, all this outrage over the anthem just puzzles me. People, for the most part, don't care about the anthem until someone does something that is outside the norm for them.

Politics aside, the last set of rules I saw said players had to mask up and observe social distancing when they come to the sideline. Seriously, will it be a 15 yard penalty if the defense has a meeting on the bench? It’s going to be weird.

Actually, NBA ratings had dropped for the past two years. However, they have increased for the bubble. The lack of fans has not diminished the viewing experience for me at all and I have never watched sports to see what people are going to do for the National Anthem. Truth be told, the National Anthem had always been the time for me to make a sandwich or get a quick chore done before the game starts. So, all this outrage over the anthem just puzzles me. People, for the most part, don't care about the anthem until someone does something that is outside the norm for them.
You’re looking at it through YOUR lens. How it affects you. I’m glad you don’t respect the anthem, that’s how you feel. I’m glad you take that time of reverence to “get a sandwich”. But me, it gives me chills. It’s a tribute to the country where my grandparents immigrated to in order to provide a better life for our family. It’s a tribute to all those that have died for the freedoms that we enjoy today. Be puzzled all you want though. You have repeatedly downplayed the importance of “a 2-minute song”, and that says more about you than the country you live in.

I honestly believe the lack of fans is KILLING sports right now. I don't watch baseball or basketball, but I do typically enjoy hockey. But the games feel unimportant with no fans. I haven't sat through a whole game since they have returned. NASCAR was already headed down the drain. They have live fans, but no one cared even before the pandemic.
I tend to agree. The lack of fans signals in a very basic way a lack of mass interest, whether that is fair or not. Fandom has its own set of necessary qualities for it to be impactful. You need other fans to cheer with, a crowd to push your team, a crowd to tell you when it really matters, ticket sales to assess a team's appeals. The most basic aspect of fandom is belonging, to your team, your city/school, your fan base. Right now, we can't belong because we can't support each other in the most direct way, with live, fan influenced sports. Add other issue that invade and separate us, and belonging becomes even harder in our other non personal interactions. We need live fandom badly.

You’re looking at it through YOUR lens. How it affects you. I’m glad you don’t respect the anthem, that’s how you feel. I’m glad you take that time of reverence to “get a sandwich”. But me, it gives me chills. It’s a tribute to the country where my grandparents immigrated to in order to provide a better life for our family. It’s a tribute to all those that have died for the freedoms that we enjoy today. Be puzzled all you want though. You have repeatedly downplayed the importance of “a 2-minute song”, and that says more about you than the country you live in.
All it says is that I am willing to tell the truth. When I go to Gamecock games I see many people going to the concession stand. Going to the bathroom. Making stupid noises that have nothing to do with singing the song. At least I have the respect to give it reverence it deserves in public. However, deep down it's just a song. They can sing it if they want to. They can cut it out altogether if they want. I don't go to a game for that. I came to see high level athletes play a sport. That's the bottom line for me.

All it says is that I am willing to tell the truth. When I go to Gamecock games I see many people going to the concession stand. Going to the bathroom. Making stupid noises that have nothing to do with singing the song. At least I have the respect to give it reverence it deserves in public. However, deep down it's just a song. They can sing it if they want to. They can cut it out altogether if they want. I don't go to a game for that. I came to see high level athletes play a sport. That's the bottom line for me.

So, you can't carve out just a few minutes of your ultra important sporting experience to honor this great country? Many 18 year old kids gave their lives so that you could.

Y'all are kidding yourselves if you think college football will be apolitical. Nothing is apolitical these days, not even a virus.

NBA Ratings are doing fine.
The Playoffs start today.

Again. The games are the same.
Fans are injecting politics into sports.

If you aren’t watching a sport you have loved your entire life because athletes have equality on their jersey, that’s a you problem.

If you LIKE sports then you will watch

Right. Nobody attends a sporting event for the anthem.
In soccer, they don’t play an anthem before the match and they have guys come together from all over the world.
Why do they play the anthem before a brutal gladiator sport anyway?
College Football is a violent game where kids put their health at risk Every time they suit it up. That’s enough for me to support them.

What other job in our country plays the anthem before work?

Pre-Covid 19 I would have considered myself a fan of the major sports, especially gamecock sports. Our football team was getting a little rough to watch, but even then we had some shocking moments (Beating Top 3 Ranked UGA between the hedges!). I was elated about the performance of our women's basketball team, and the fab freshman. It still amazes me that of all years for this to happen, it had to happen when we had probably one of the best assembled teams in SEC/WCBB history with great odds at competing for a National Title! Unfortunately we'll never know if we could have beaten the Ducks??

NFL, NBA, Nascar, BB, it didn't matter...I didn't let the political bluster from all sides keep me from enjoying games that I grew up watching and playing as a kid. There are actual moments in my life where particular sport's events have defined an era for me (Numerous MJ buzzer beaters, Barry Bonds, Sammy Sosa, Mark Mcgwire in BB, Andrew Pinnock fumbling the ball through the endzone against UGA, The Fade, CWS title runs...too many to count. I can remember what I was doing, who I was with, etc...the way those moments made me feel.

What I think you may find is there are a lot of people just like me who couldn't care less about political affiliations in sports, but were forced not to be able to watch, attend, or plan entire days/meals, etc... around "THE" game. Covid 19 caused all of this to come to a screeching halt, and I was forced to find other things to do with my time that did not involve sitting around a TV or being in a grass field all day. And when I was forced to find other things, I found that it was actually quite nice just to be able to spend more time with family, get outside more, finish projects around the house, work in the yard, practice the piano etc...It was less stress on me personally as well as on my wallet (well only a little less stress on the wallet!).

While I would love to watch the Gamecocks compete if we are fortunate enough to have a season, I'm not sure that I would go back to the full blown Die Hard that I once was. I found that life is too short, and there are far too many more important things than feeling superior to someone else because I have bragging rights or somehow feel better about myself because I "support" a winner, and the rest of you are losers. Even though NBA, Nascar, BB has been back on, I have yet to really watch a game, and it has nothing to do about "boycotting" or "protesting" sports due to someone else's current political leanings.

IMHO, it will be tough to get people back to how it was during the pinnacle of excitement. Many fans have simply found other things to do over the last 5 or so months. Of course, winning games generates excitement for the winning team, but I'm not sure we'll ever see the pure widespread FANdemonium that we've enjoyed across multiple sports over the last 2-3 decades.
You think the last 5 months has changed generations of southern culture?
Please.
LSU and Bama are laughing.

My interest in sports is rapidly disappearing for a number of reasons. I was already losing interest before COVID. Life is short.

No, I think it would be the injection of politics they dont like.
So if I turn on a game, I see the game. What are you looking at?
Do you watch the game for what’s on the court?
How is baseball political?
The ratings for regular season NBA are the same.

people watch the playoffs.
People aren’t watching the games at 1PM and 3:30PM

Same reason soccer ratings stink.

So kneeling bad but dancing, waving to people and trying to make yourself the center of attention is fine?

NBA rating have actually been in a decline since 2014 when the Miami Heat super team disbanded. They have had some ups and downs but overall been slipping since then. In fact this year they are down a whole 4%

MLB just had their most watched game since the 2011 World Series and are up from their normal ratings though they have dropped from the record highs they had for opening weekend.

it’s seems the reports of the “demise” of these programs are a bit off.

Unless this changes this year and my gut says it won't the college football players have always been in the locker room during the playing of the anthem. If they change that and allow the players to kneel during the anthem they will lose some viewership I guarantee that.

So if I turn on a game, I see the game. What are you looking at?
Do you watch the game for what’s on the court?

The ratings for regular season NBA are the same.

people watch the playoffs.
People aren’t watching the games at 1PM and 3:30PM

You touched on the real disconnect. You're saying the plays on the field/court are the same, regardless. I dont disagree. I see dressing thos games in SJW messaging as at best a distraction, and at worst ruining the game.

As for ratings, I just did one search, and saw a bunch if articles about the poor NBA ratings. Maybe people were comparing regular season games this year to last years playoffs, although I doubt it.

Reactions: agantt
I don’t go to dinner to say the blessing either. I want to eat! But you know what, I still like to give thanks.

Reactions: agantt
Have you ever seen anyone at the games say anything to the people who are going about their business in the stadium when the song is played? I sure haven’t but for all the talk about it you certainly would expect to see some people fired up and directing those people on the proper protocol.

Reactions: ClowneyPosse
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT