ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain to me...

bucketdad

Jul 1, 2009
... how Clemson drops one spot after losing at home but Tenn loses to the same team away a week before and they drop 5 spots? And what the heck is UNC doing in the ranking at all after losing their last two games? Guess they had to make sure the ACCCG had two ranked teams.

This is what I hate about a group of people getting to decide who gets to play for a title.

... how Clemson drops one spot after losing at home but Tenn loses to the same team away a week before and they drop 5 spots? And what the heck is UNC doing in the ranking at all after losing their last two games? Guess they had to make sure the ACCCG had two ranked teams.

This is what I hate about a group of people getting to decide who gets to play for a title.
Tennessee ate a 60-burger.

The honest answer? We blew UT out of the water.

If it wasn't for an Antonio Williams fumble Clemson has the ball back and only needs two first downs to be in field goal range to win the game.
I'm not sure I have ever seen a cfp ranking that dropped a team just one spot after any kind of loss. Maybe I'm wrong and it's happened before idk. I mean like Oregon just lost at Oregon St by 4 points and they dropped 7 spots. That seems pretty comparable to me other than Oregon actually lost to a ranked team and Clemson's loss wasnt at the time.

Last edited:
STATEUNC19-051819-EDH.jpg
0036142-mdal-1280x720.jpg

If it wasn't for an Antonio Williams fumble Clemson has the ball back and only needs two first downs to be in field goal range to win the game.
To be honest, anyone who watched both games realizes if Carolina would have played just half as good as we did against UT against tateru, we would of beaten them by 15-20 at their own place! Both should of dropped 5-10 spots. It's absolute shit that tateru is in the top 10.

I'm not sure I have ever seen a cfp ranking that dropped a team just one spot after any kind of loss. Maybe I'm wrong and it's happened before idk. I mean like Oregon just lost at Oregon St by 5 points and they dropped 7 spots. That seems pretty comparable to me other than Oregon actually lost to a ranked team and Clemson's loss wasnt at the time.
Unless they get a couple million put back in the ref fund Clemson ends this year riding a 3 game losing streak so I wouldn’t worry about it. It’ll work itself out.

Unless they get a couple million put back in the ref fund Clemson ends this year riding a 3 game losing streak so I wouldn’t worry about it. It’ll work itself out.
In the ap it will but not the one that matters most. The one that matters most will have them drop one spot next week if UNC were to beat them. Then the poll that matters most is over and we can go back to sportswriters' opinion polls. Cant believe I'm starting to have more faith in the latter.

That is true but consider that Clemson was a 2 TD favorite. Neither team should hold up in the rankings very well.

Reactions: Ratheolcoach
Would love to see where the Taters would fall with a loss to UNC and another loss in the bowl game. Both of those teams are clearly overrated where they sit right now IMO.

Did the teams around them lose too?
Just Oregon I believe. They were one spot behind them. Similar type loss but to a ranked team. That loss cost them 7 spots.
There were 6 losses total in the top 25. One lost 9 spots, one loss 7 spots, two lost 6 spots, one lost 3 spots and one lost one spot.

1) Whipped Tennessee

2) Trailed entire game against Clemson until near the end.

3) Beating Tennessee and Clemson on the road earned us a lot of respect from the national voters so that ended up helping Clemson not drop as far.

1) Whipped Tennessee

2) Trailed entire game against Clemson until near the end.

3) Beating Tennessee and Clemson on the road earned us a lot of respect from the national voters so that ended up helping Clemson not drop as far.
The thought it was because of some new found respect did cross my mind. But it's a tough pill to swallow when you have other teams lose in the same fashion to RANKED teams and drop further. One would think ranked meant having a built-in respect.... and a higher rank meant a higher respect

Last edited:

We should’ve put 50 on Clemson. Dropped a pick six, handed them another, threw a second pick from their 4 yard line, and a scoop and score opportunity called back on a bogus call.

We should’ve put 50 on Clemson. Dropped a pick six, handed them another, threw a second pick from their 4 yard line, and a scoop and score opportunity called back on a bogus call.

I'm not going to say you're wrong, because we tried to give it away even though we were the better team that day.

But Clemson can also play that same game. Luckily they gave it away much more than we gave it away.

buck, don’t worry, just in a few short yrs machines will do it all for us😳

I don't know what polls you are looking at but Clemson dropped three spots, not one, in both the AP and Coaches polls. From 7th to 10th.

I don't know what polls you are looking at but Clemson dropped three spots, not one, in both the AP and Coaches polls. From 7th to 10th.
cfp rankings has them dropping from 8th to 9th. The ap and coaches polls look reasonable. Three spots is pretty common. I think most teams would be pretty happy to have only dropped 3 spots. Glad the playoff rankings didnt drop OSU just one spot.

buck, don’t worry, just in a few short yrs machines will do it all for us😳
I do find some comfort in that and it may take out human error and bias but it wouldnt be my first choice.
My first choice would be to let everything be decided on the field through the course of a season. Every D1 team starts with a chance and you end with an undisputed champ. Never understood the resistance to it. The main reasons I hear for lack of support is there is a week or two of what some call boring matchups and it doesnt give some teams a second chance. But I digress. I didnt want to get in that debate again. I get it. I'm in the minority.

Last edited:
The thought it was because of some new found respect did cross my mind. But it's a tough pill to swallow when you have other teams lose in the same fashion to RANKED teams and drop further. One would think ranked meant having a built-in respect.... and a higher rank meant a higher respect

Normally - but beating UT so bad earned us a lot of national cred.

I had a former coworker who went to school in Wisconsin text me after that game going on and on about how we looked. He doesn't live in South Carolina and I don't think keeps up with us much at all- probably just like a national voter.

Then to beat Clemson at their place- I just think some voters were probably like "Dang, these guys turned it on" and that's why Clemson losing by 1 didn't hurt them much.

Normally - but beating UT so bad earned us a lot of national cred.

I had a former coworker who went to school in Wisconsin text me after that game going on and on about how we looked. He doesn't live in South Carolina and I don't think keeps up with us much at all- probably just like a national voter.

Then to beat Clemson at their place- I just think some voters were probably like "Dang, these guys turned it on" and that's why Clemson losing by 1 didn't hurt them much.
Perhaps.
As much as I'd like to believe we beat clemson purely with our awesomeness, especally on defense, their offense looked pretty bad, especally bad at the QB position. So keeping them a top ten team? Yeah that's a stretch imo. Hard to believe they werent seen as exposed... at least a little bit

Last edited:
I'm not sure I have ever seen a cfp ranking that dropped a team just one spot after any kind of loss. Maybe I'm wrong and it's happened before idk. I mean like Oregon just lost at Oregon St by 4 points and they dropped 7 spots. That seems pretty comparable to me other than Oregon actually lost to a ranked team and Clemson's loss wasnt at the time.
Taters are media favorites!!

ADVERTISEMENT