ADVERTISEMENT

Can't believe I'm so bored I'm watching NBA hoops

Whatever man, this game 4 has been an amazing display of talent. They are pro athletes, so yeah there is the theatrics but to say it's not a good game I think is crazy. If you just don't like the NBA for other reasons then fine.

Whatever man, this game 4 has been an amazing display of talent. They are pro athletes, so yeah there is the theatrics but to say it's not a good game I think is crazy. If you just don't like the NBA for other reasons then fine.
Lol, yeah whatever.
Yes they're amazing...as amazing as the Globetrotters.
Well, almost.

Watching the refs coddle Lebron and the Cavs makes me wanna puke..They are so obviously trying to get more games for TV...For any team to be sent to the fouls line 24 times in the first qtr is an absolute joke...

I will never...... EVER, be that bored!!
I watched the 3rd quarter then literally couldn't watch anymore. In one quarter I saw enough smack talk to last a month, one team break a single record for 3's (pitiful defense or scripted hype?), a blown (or intentionally ignored) called where Green was called for a 2nd technical and should have been ejected (which I agree with because crowds get so hyped at these games) but the refs claimed the 1st was on another player without checking and let Green continue playing, then James and Durant in each other's face to excite and stir the crowd, and multiple players telling the refs what they should be doing including James arguing where players should be lined up on the tip off to start the 4th.
That was enough for me for probably 15-20 more years.

And I'm sure game 4 is a must watch guaranteed to be one of the best in history...just like games 5,6 and 7!

Reactions: abw2390 and 92Pony

Are you saying the game in general or that game? That game was hard to watch. It wasn't competitive and I have to believe someone wanted the Cav's to win. That backcourt no call was "turrable". This series in general has not been competitive.

Reactions: Cock_Donor
I watched the 3rd quarter then literally couldn't watch anymore. In one quarter I saw enough smack talk to last a month, one team break a single record for 3's (pitiful defense or scripted hype?), a blown (or intentionally ignored) called where Green was called for a 2nd technical and should have been ejected (which I agree with because crowds get so hyped at these games) but the refs claimed the 1st was on another player without checking and let Green continue playing, then James and Durant in each other's face to excite and stir the crowd, and multiple players telling the refs what they should be doing including James arguing where players should be lined up on the tip off to start the 4th.
That was enough for me for probably 15-20 more years.

And I'm sure game 4 is a must watch guaranteed to be one of the best in history...just like games 5,6 and 7!
Right on!

I can't believe how sh**ty NBA basketball has become. Like the previous poster said, that 3rd quarter from game 4 was absolutely dreadful. 84 three-point shots in game 4. 77 in game 3. The game has "evolved" into passing around the 3 point arc OR driving to the hoop for an anticipated foul on a layup or dunk. The mid-range jumper....gone. I really miss Stockton, Malone, Bird, Johnson, Kareem... the pros that can hit a 15 footer consistently. All this "talent" in today's game is a ruse for just being more "athletic"....not more talented.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
I can't believe how sh**ty NBA basketball has become. Like the previous poster said, that 3rd quarter from game 4 was absolutely dreadful. 84 three-point shots in game 4. 77 in game 3. The game has "evolved" into passing around the 3 point arc OR driving to the hoop for an anticipated foul on a layup or dunk. The mid-range jumper....gone. I really miss Stockton, Malone, Bird, Johnson, Kareem... the pros that can hit a 15 footer consistently. All this "talent" in today's game is a ruse for just being more "athletic"....not more talented.
The hook is dead too. Players these days can't make a hook shot.

Analytics say that those are the best ways to score points (threes and layups) so you will see the game continue to go in that direction. The college game will follow suit. 15-footers and posting up, for some reason, have some kind of cherished status in the eyes of older fans of the sport, but they are among the least efficient ways to score points. NBA teams know this now.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Analytics say that those are the best ways to score points (threes and layups) so you will see the game continue to go in that direction. The college game will follow suit. 15-footers and posting up, for some reason, have some kind of cherished status in the eyes of older fans of the sport, but they are among the least efficient ways to score points. NBA teams know this now.

It's no coincidence that the two teams who are standing in the end are the teams shooting the most threes.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Yeah I guess I see I'm in the minority when it comes to liking the NBA...this notion that the stars of the 80's and 90's would school today's players may hold some truth but today's players would also bury those guys with three's. I don't think you just trot out Jordan, Bird, and Magic against the Warriors and the old guys have their way with them. It feels good to want to think that (those are the guys I grew up watching so I have those same nostalgic feelings and miss parts of the old days).
It's just the evolution of the game...its not perfect but I argue no professional sport is. It all feels tainted to a degree.

I haven`t watched a single minute and I won`t. No interest at all. For me, basketball ends with the Final Four, then it`s on to baseball. Unfortunately this will be one of those long summers.

I agree you with for the most part. However, I think Jeff Van Gundy has a point about the double standard between fouls called on the perimeter compared to the lack of fouls called in the low post. The style of basketball played today simply takes advantage of the rules as they are currently constituted. I wouldn't necessarily say it's superior to basketball played in the past.

I agree you with for the most part. However, I think Jeff Van Gundy has a point about the double standard between fouls called on the perimeter compared to the lack of fouls called in the low post. The style of basketball played today simply takes advantage of the rules as they are currently constituted. I wouldn't necessarily say it's superior to basketball played in the past.

I wouldn't argue that it is superior, either. But it is reality. Some people say things like "this isn't real basketball'. Of course it is. A little while ago, real basketball was throwing balls into a literal peach basket. All sports change.

The use of analytics is very much real in the NBA. It really has little to do with the rules, except for the rule that says you get three points for a shot at a certain distance. There is an average points per shot attempt for every square inch of the floor. Not something made up...real, live numbers. The highest efficiency spots are layups, threes, and free throws. The smart coaches today are gearing their offenses to getting those three types of shots. The Warriors and Cavs are the best examples.

I wouldn't argue that it is superior, either. But it is reality. Some people say things like "this isn't real basketball'. Of course it is. A little while ago, real basketball was throwing balls into a literal peach basket. All sports change.

The use of analytics is very much real in the NBA. It really has little to do with the rules, except for the rule that says you get three points for a shot at a certain distance. There is an average points per shot attempt for every square inch of the floor. Not something made up...real, live numbers. The highest efficiency spots are layups, threes, and free throws. The smart coaches today are gearing their offenses to getting those three types of shots. The Warriors and Cavs are the best examples.

Yes, I understand analytics. I'm a big fan. However, enforcing the hand-check rule (around 2004, I believe) has greatly changed the game. The advanced stats love Steph Curry. He's the best player in the game.

Would that have been the case 15 years ago? No, I don't think so. Players like "The Glove", Gary Payton, would have been so far up his...maybe I should just say there were allowed to be more aggressive defending on the perimeter back then.

Also, we'll never know what would have happened if Kawhi hadn't been injured. Pop was able to defend Houston by not fouling and running their shooters off the 3 point line and into the Spurs' two bigs in the low post. He basically gave Houston the mid-range jump shot and the Rockets didn't know what to do.

yeah_science_breaking_bad.gif

Could you imagine how unstoppable Larry Bird or Reggie Miller would be if these were considered 3 shot fouls when they played?

ADVERTISEMENT