ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina baseball facilities

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
Two awesome wins by our guys over the weekend. Always nice to beat Clempson in anything.

I was following the game on Twitter and saw a link to the baseball facilities at Clempson. Got me thinking about the state of ours. Our stadium is nice, but more curious about the player and program facilities. it seems more and more schools are taking the Football Operations Building idea and building similar, scaled back facilities for other sports that still have many of the nice player bells and whistles amenities (our basketball program desperately needs this).

For anyone interested check out the links below:

This is the Clempson video I saw:

So decided to look for a few more.

Miss State:

I had no idea Ole Miss just built a Baseball Performance Center:

And check out what they are building at Arkansas:

For reference, here is the best video I could find on ours:

Now to be clear, I am in no way knocking our really nice facilities. Just find it amazing this total facilities arms race and it for sure is not just football. If you aren't always pouring more $ in and getting better, you are falling behind. When Founders Park first opened it was the nicest in the league. I think most now would give than designation to either Arkansas or Miss State.

Interested in other's thoughts.

Reactions: redrogers
We have our own weight room at the stadium, it’s actually very sport specific and it’s quite nice. It’s been a few years since I’ve seen our locker room but from what I remember it was nice. Like Chick said, it was updated very recently I believe.

They just remodeled our players' lounge and such before either the 2019 or 2020 season.
We do not need to add any more seats until you can't get a ticket for a game. And by that I mean games against teams not named Clemson, UF, and/or Vandy.

Not that teenagers believe in it these days, but I’m a big fan of making teams earn the upgrades. You want more, do more. If you play bad, you get less. That’s how the world works.

On a positive note, our Baseball team looks well on the way to some earned upgrades.

The major ventures were the indoor practice facility and the FB operations bldg. Now those things are done and we have those. Also the video board, the fairgrounds parking, and the overhaul of the Williams-Brice stadium and surrounding grounds on the stadium property. I am not seeing much else that other top FB programs are pushing - FB always seems to be the leader in major college sports facilities projects across the nation.

So, that being said, if there will be a lull in major FB projects, perhaps some of that SEC FB money could more go to the other sports programs, and help with their facilities. I say this already understanding that we've been doing this for years, with major softball, soccer, track & field, and tennis facility upgrades. Seems like that for now, most of the major check lists have all been checked off.....

With COVID-19 scare, I would think there would be a pause in the arms race so that athletic departments can recover. In a few years, the race will start again.

The major ventures were the indoor practice facility and the FB operations bldg. Now those things are done and we have those. Also the video board, the fairgrounds parking, and the overhaul of the Williams-Brice stadium and surrounding grounds on the stadium property. I am not seeing much else that other top FB programs are pushing - FB always seems to be the leader in major college sports facilities projects across the nation.

So, that being said, if there will be a lull in major FB projects, perhaps some of that SEC FB money could more go to the other sports programs, and help with their facilities. I say this already understanding that we've been doing this for years, with major softball, soccer, track & field, and tennis facility upgrades. Seems like that for now, most of the major check lists have all been checked off.....
CLA should be next for a MAJOR upgrade. It needs it.

The whole facility arms race thing is gross. It feels sterile. Guess some of it's necessary, but I wonder how many players pick a school based on the size of tvs.

I'm not an old man.

I certainly don't think its a coincidence that in any college sport, in most cases the schools with the most flashy facilities are at or close to the top of the rankings.

Reactions: MookieBlaylock9
I still remember the football recruit who picked Auburn because it had a Chic-Fil-A on campus.
Yeah, that was referring to Clemson not having one. I think he was nervous and just listed things he liked about the school. Regardless, I'd like to think players care about more than game rooms. It seems so phony. Regular students, too, have rock walls they'll never use. When they graduate, their lifestyles often go down for a perioid. Anyway, that's a different discussion.

I'm someone that liked the Coliseum and Sarge Frye. I hate new pro sports stadiums.

Yeah, that was referring to Clemson not having one. I think he was nervous and just listed things he liked about the school. Regardless, I'd like to think players care about more than game rooms. It seems so phony. Regular students, too, have rock walls they'll never use. When they graduate, their lifestyles often go down for a perioid. Anyway, that's a different discussion.

I'm someone that liked the Coliseum and Sarge Frye. I hate new pro sports stadiums.

Remember.....you are NOT the target.

Resting on your laurels isn’t much of an option these days. We still have a very nice venue in Founders Park. Not sure what could be done to improve the overall park. More seats in the outfield? A small upper deck perhaps? I think the player’s lounge was updated, there’s a weight room, and the locker room in supposed to be very nice. The SEC is crazy! Ole Miss and MSST are in an in-state arms race in baseball. LSU, ARK, UF, TAM, all have very nice baseball facilities. Vandy has a crappy venue, yet their program is easily top ten nationally year in and year out. Finally, Doug Kingsmore Stafium at CU is decent, has been added onto piecemeal, and is certainly NOT on par with Founders Park at Carolina.

Reactions: USCRBCOCK
They just remodeled our players' lounge and such before either the 2019 or 2020 season.
We do not need to add any more seats until you can't get a ticket for a game. And by that I mean games against teams not named Clemson, UF, and/or Vandy.
When the stadium opened in 2009, it was considered one of the top three college baseball stadiums. Sadly, I'm not sure its even in the top 12-15 anymore. There's alot that could be done to truly enhance the stadium bigtime. Anybody got 15 mil to donate?

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
When the stadium opened in 2009, it was considered one of the top three college baseball stadiums. Sadly, I'm not sure its even in the top 12-15 anymore. There's alot that could be done to truly enhance the stadium bigtime. Anybody got 15 mil to donate?
I’ll write the check. Just don’t cash it for awhile.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Two awesome wins by our guys over the weekend. Always nice to beat Clempson in anything.

I was following the game on Twitter and saw a link to the baseball facilities at Clempson. Got me thinking about the state of ours. Our stadium is nice, but more curious about the player and program facilities. it seems more and more schools are taking the Football Operations Building idea and building similar, scaled back facilities for other sports that still have many of the nice player bells and whistles amenities (our basketball program desperately needs this).

Miss State:

Now to be clear, I am in no way knocking our really nice facilities. Just find it amazing this total facilities arms race and it for sure is not just football. If you aren't always pouring more $ in and getting better, you are falling behind. When Founders Park first opened it was the nicest in the league. I think most now would give than designation to either Arkansas or Miss State.

For those on here that have little clue about things west of the Mississippi.............it’s probably the poorest state in the nation. Last to get things done, newest sometimes always look the best.........our own interstate system was one of the last built & it was like the pride of the nation.

I remember sitting in Sarge Fry for the midweek afternoon games in '75 (one of our runner-up championship years) and there would be maybe be 30/40 people in the stands. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Miss State:

Florida just opened their new facility this year... Sorry, no link.

Is it feasible to bring in temporary seating for games vs the aforementioned during non-pandemic times?

Resting on your laurels isn’t much of an option these days. We still have a very nice venue in Founders Park. Not sure what could be done to improve the overall park. More seats in the outfield? A small upper deck perhaps? I think the player’s lounge was updated, there’s a weight room, and the locker room in supposed to be very nice. The SEC is crazy! Ole Miss and MSST are in an in-state arms race in baseball. LSU, ARK, UF, TAM, all have very nice baseball facilities. Vandy has a crappy venue, yet their program is easily top ten nationally year in and year out. Finally, Doug Kingsmore Stafium at CU is decent, has been added onto piecemeal, and is certainly NOT on par with Founders Park at Carolina.
Vandy's Hawkins Field has no room to grow. Is there any decent room elsewhere on campus for a new facility? And is the money available?

Last edited:
For those on here that have little clue about things west of the Mississippi.............it’s probably the poorest state in the nation. Last to get things done, newest sometimes always look the best.........our own interstate system was one of the last built & it was like the pride of the nation.
About what things west of the Mississippi are you referencing?

Vandy's Hawkins stadium has no room to grow. Is there any decent room elsewhere on campus for a new facility? And is the money available?

Yes, I know that, just was saying they have a great program with a less than stellar facility. As a private school, they are able to offer academic or other scholarships to baseball recruits. It has verb a huge asset to building the baseball program there. This is their biggest advantage in an otherwise disadvantaged position as a small, private school in the SEC. Bully for them.

With COVID-19 scare, I would think there would be a pause in the arms race so that athletic departments can recover. In a few years, the race will start again.

COVID would not impact deep pocket donors. Just give more.

Reactions: rogue cock

I agree. That seems to be the way of our athletic department. Move from project to project, build something, check it off the list and move on with little emphasis on continuing gradual improvements. Nothing major has been done to Founders Park since it opened 12 years ago. Very little has been done to CLA since it opened almost 20 years ago.

Reactions: tailgatecock
Love baseball but really basketball is in more dire need of better facilities and has been for a while. Given today's climate I think we take at least two years to recover before we see anything.

Reactions: USC2USC
Honestly, we don't need temporary seating at any time.
Yes, I know that, just was saying they have a great program with a less than stellar facility. As a private school, they are able to offer academic or other scholarships to baseball recruits. It has verb a huge asset to building the baseball program there. This is their biggest advantage in an otherwise disadvantaged position as a small, private school in the SEC. Bully for them.
If Vandy had any thoughts about leaving the SEC, seeing Tulane's (lack of) success after leaving the league likely quashed any such discussions.

I guess if attendance grew to the point where temporary bleachers were needed/erected in right field for Clemron, big SEC series, and the postseason on a regular basis, the athletics department would then begin discussion on expanding permanent seating.

If Vandy had any thoughts about leaving the SEC, seeing Tulane's (lack of) success after leaving the league likely quashed any such discussions.

I guess if attendance grew to the point where temporary bleachers were needed/erected in right field for Clemron, big SEC series, and the postseason on a regular basis, the athletics department would then begin discussion on expanding permanent seating.
What about Ga. Tech as an example?

I agree. That seems to be the way of our athletic department. Move from project to project, build something, check it off the list and move on with little emphasis on continuing gradual improvements. Nothing major has been done to Founders Park since it opened 12 years ago. Very little has been done to CLA since it opened almost 20 years ago.

Go to the USC website and search for the minutes of the BOT meetings, specifically the Building and Grounds Committee meetings or the full board meetings. Interesting stuff on how the 'power boys' operate.

You know public universities (including Carolina) offer academic scholarships too, right?

See below for recent upgrades at Vandy from a $13 million baseball player development project. Pretty impressive.

When thinking about facilities, fans always think of fan facilities....stadium, arena, # of seats, etc. The real facilities arms race is in player facilities that most fans will never see. That is what is attracting the best recruits. To use baseball as an example, I don't think a recruit really cares if the stadium seats 5,000 or 6,000. They do care about player development space, player lounges, sports medicine and recovery, dining and food facilities, lorckerrooms, etc. These are the spaces they use everyday where schools that are good at recruiting show talent that they treat them like kings...or queens.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT