ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina baseball facilities

Good news is at Carolina if you're on the baseball team, you're the man. Not many schools can say that like we can here

Good news is at Carolina if you're on the baseball team, you're the man. Not many schools can say that like we can here

Not sure its any different at league schools we compete against like Vandy, Miss State, Ole Miss, Arkansas, etc.

You know public universities (including Carolina) offer academic scholarships too, right?

Yes, of course I do. Vandy, due to its privacy can do things with scholarships other SEC schools cannot. I’m not sure of the specifics, but I do know that private school aspect helps their baseball program immensely.

Reactions: Whiterockcock69
See below for recent upgrades at Vandy from a $13 million baseball player development project. Pretty impressive.

When thinking about facilities, fans always think of fan facilities....stadium, arena, # of seats, etc. The real facilities arms race is in player facilities that most fans will never see. That is what is attracting the best recruits. To use baseball as an example, I don't think a recruit really cares if the stadium seats 5,000 or 6,000. They do care about player development space, player lounges, sports medicine and recovery, dining and food facilities, lorckerrooms, etc. These are the spaces they use everyday where schools that are good at recruiting show talent that they treat them like kings...or queens.

Well, I had no idea Vandy had finally done this improvement to their baseball facility. It was rather pathetic sort of nestled up under the football stadium. They certainly have the program worthy of better facilities. They also have a real estate issue, as in very limited space to do much,

Yes, of course I do. Vandy, due to its privacy can do things with scholarships other SEC schools cannot. I’m not sure of the specifics, but I do know that private school aspect helps their baseball program immensely.

I don't think it has anything to do with privacy. At most selective admission private schools, most of their funding for students is on the need side vs merit. Many meet 100% need for students. The big difference in being able to do this is size of the endowment. Vandy's is currently $6.3 billion. Carolina's is $782 million. USC's is larger than Clempson's but only by about $10 million. By contrast, the Harvard endowment, I believe the largest in the country, is $41 billion. Yes, they meet full student need.

I don't think it has anything to do with privacy. At most selective admission private schools, most of their funding for students is on the need side vs merit. Many meet 100% need for students. The big difference in being able to do this is size of the endowment. Vandy's is currently $6.3 billion. Carolina's is $782 million. USC's is larger than Clempson's but only by about $10 million. By contrast, the Harvard endowment, I believe the largest in the country, is $41 billion. Yes, they meet full student need.
As a public school, our baseball program has to SPLIT less than a dozen scholarships among the entire team. As a private school, Vandy can & does offer full scholarships to players (who can get into Vanderbilt). It is a HUGE advantage and is a major reason they have a very high profile program.

Reactions: FORKCOCK
I still remember the football recruit who picked Auburn because it had a Chic-Fil-A on campus.
How about the self-serve ice cream machine during Carlen's tenure...lauded as one of the best recruiting tools ever!

As a public school, our baseball program has to SPLIT less than a dozen scholarships among the entire team. As a private school, Vandy can & does offer full scholarships to players (who can get into Vanderbilt). It is a HUGE advantage and is a major reason they have a very high profile program.
They do nothing that we or any other state university couldn't also do.

I agree. That seems to be the way of our athletic department. Move from project to project, build something, check it off the list and move on with little emphasis on continuing gradual improvements. Nothing major has been done to Founders Park since it opened 12 years ago. Very little has been done to CLA since it opened almost 20 years ago.
I still hate the bleacher seats. Just look out of place and an after thought, which they were. Never was impressed with the scoreboard either. What ever happened to the victory tower or bell that was part of the original plan?

Reactions: USC2USC
ADVERTISEMENT