ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina baseball head coaching candidates

image.jpg

When was the article written? It says Tanner will outbid Klemson on Monte Lee coming to Columbia.

Landon Powell ia not happening. Christian university to the SEC ? I dont think so.

Landon Powell ia not happening. Christian university to the SEC ? I dont think so.
No one is saying he's a top candidate-just that he's close to the program. Besides where was Holbrook a head coach? Also Toman came from a christian university.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
What does coming from a Christian school have to do with anything ? Does that somehow
disqualify him ? Being led and coached by a good Christian man who is an excellent
baseball coach is a good thing . Dont understand why you feel as if it would not be .

Reactions: IrmoRed
What does coming from a Christian school have to do with anything ? Does that somehow
disqualify him ? Being led and coached by a good Christian man who is an excellent
baseball coach is a good thing . Dont understand why you feel as if it would not be .
No, im just saying its a very small school. I live 10 minutes from the school. My son just graduated from there. We need a bigger name

With the kind of program USC has, or has the potential to be again, it is a plum job. Very few coaches out there that wouldn't consider USC a step up. Would be shocked if next coach wasn't a pretty big name.

Reactions: garnet & black
Hate to say it, but there are some hints coming out that there will only be staff changes. Chad will be retained.

Reactions: vipercock
Hate to say it, but there are some hints coming out that there will only be staff changes. Chad will be retained.
I think most have been expecting this. I've said all along that Ray will give him another year-as much as I hate to even think about it. If this happens, what do the "trust in Tanner to make the tough decision" posters say? So who gets canned? Sammy? He has like 8 years with the program. Jerry has like 15 years with the program and a long stint with Tanner. Have a hard time believing he goes. So one coach possibly gets axed? That's really making a bold statement to fans regarding changes. That was what really ticked me off more than anything when Ray let Chad retain his entire staff after missing the tournament in 2015. Obviously a change was merited if we're back in the same boat two years later.

Last edited:
KitchenlabsWell-Known Member
NewHate to say it, but there are some hints coming out that there will only be staff changes. Chad will be retained.

17 Today at 5:58 PM

All that will do, is postpone the inevitable for a year. Holbrook doesn't have it, and never will.

Not only will it delay the inevitable but it will make it harder for the next coach to rebuild our program after it slips further downward.

It gives me great comfort to know that we will attract a tremendous list of candidates once the job comes open. There's a lot of ways we can go right, a luxury we haven't always enjoyed in coaching searches..

KitchenlabsWell-Known Member
NewHate to say it, but there are some hints coming out that there will only be staff changes. Chad will be retained.

17 Today at 5:58 PM

All that will do, is postpone the inevitable for a year. Holbrook doesn't have it, and never will.

That's the old Carolina way of doing things which I hope is a dead and buried bad habit - kicking the can down the street, delay/put off, failure to act promptly to impending disaster, et al.

Btw, if the object is to save $$$ by retaining a grossly under performing HC (Chad), why go to the trouble of hiring a new staff only to have Chad fail again and then, finally, fire him . . . and the new staff as well? RT needs to act now; no screwing around and letting things get worse.

Last edited:
That's the old Carolina way of doing things which I hope is dead and buried bad habit - kicking the can down the street, delay/put off, failure to act promptly to impending disaster, et al.

Btw, if the object is to save $$$ by retaining a grossly under performing HC (Chad), why go to the trouble of hiring a new staff only to have Chad fail again and then, finally, fire him . . . and the new staff as well? RT needs to act now; no screw around and let things get worse.
What the AD needs to realize is that there is now competition for those entertainment dollars in Columbia. Columbus's minor league team will gladly sell season tickets to those who formerly bought them for Carolina baseball games. It completely changes the dynamics.

Reactions: joplin gamecock1
It's frustrating not seeing Ray Tanner's name on that list (unless I missed it while skimming). We already have the best college baseball coach in the country on the university payroll. Our coaching search should _start_ there with the president making danged sure Ray absolutely positively doesn't want to coach the team before we start looking a "next best" guy.

It's frustrating not seeing Ray Tanner's name on that list (unless I missed it while skimming). We already have the best college baseball coach in the country on the university payroll. Our coaching search should _start_ there with the president making danged sure Ray absolutely positively doesn't want to coach the team before we start looking a "next best" guy.

It will take awhile to see someone like Ray Tanner or Bobby Richardson...

I remembered when we first hired Ray, a lot of Clemson fans said we were making a mistake...

Ray Tanner is a hot head at NC State....

It made me feel better about our pick...

If Kevin O'Sullivan is genuinely interested, I think we'd be crazy to not offer him. The guy is a recruiting machine and has Florida in the mix every year. Just a matter of time before he wins one. Not to mention the sticking it to Florida factor for luring him away

Just saw where Landon Powell's NGU team was 21-1 at home this year. That's hard to do. And Wingo and Coutlangus are on his staff. Maybe down the road he could be an option.

Reactions: garnet & black
At least offer Monte Lee. Who gives crap what the taters say. Heck. They stole Brad Scott from us. :).
No, they didn't steal Brad Scott from us. He was fired and then picked up by Clemson......that is not stealing.....that's us giving him away. He was a good recruiter, don't know why we didn't make a made up position for him like Clemson did.

Keep Chad and clean house! Espo should have been gone when Ray left. Meyers has the same issues now like the first time. His pitchers get injured and his pitching selection is suspect. Not to mention he does know when to pull a guy or when not to! In my opinion Chad has not had team his own yet. At the very least Espo has to go!

Keep Chad and clean house! Espo should have been gone when Ray left. Meyers has the same issues now like the first time. His pitchers get injured and his pitching selection is suspect. Not to mention he does know when to pull a guy or when not to! In my opinion Chad has not had team his own yet. At the very least Espo has to go!

I think we're beyond just replacing assistance coaches and if we did that and end up being better next year... it will show Chad isn't a good coach...

Reactions: FORKCOCK
No, they didn't steal Brad Scott from us. He was fired and then picked up by Clemson......that is not stealing.....that's us giving him away. He was a good recruiter, don't know why we didn't make a made up position for him like Clemson did.
Why would Any head coach that gets fired want to stay on staff in a lesser role?? Wow! Good Lord, geez!

Reactions: rogue cock
Why would Any head coach that gets fired want to stay on staff in a lesser role?? Wow! Good Lord, geez!
ummm, I don't know, one would have to ask brad. He was pushed out of coaching at Clemson but stayed as a consultant or whatever that made up role is..come to think of it SOS stayed on a while after quiting also, so it's not unheard of.

Not so sure that Brad moving to an off field role at Clemson wasn't what he needed to do to get his son moving up the staff ladder at Clemson. Brad went to the wall during Dabo's trial period and that was his payback. Brad also knew that his chances of being a head coach again were nil, so it worked out pretty well for him.

Reactions: 67gamecock
Does anyone know what the other Scott brother does now?

Well if we can do with baseball what the taters did with football, it might work. Hire the best pitching coach and hitting coach and let Chad recruit, and retain the head coach in name. However, football can win on stellar talent and subpar coaching, I am
Not sure if the same can be said of baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT