ADVERTISEMENT

*** Carolina Confidential - Pres. by Herring Insurance - 8/9 (Preseason camp and recruiting notes)

W

Wes Mitchell

59a97da6aa279-Carolina%20Confidential.png

Team notes

** With South Carolina now a week into practice, the early returns on the Gamecocks offense are positive regarding how the team continues to respond to offensive coordinator Bryan McClendon. McClendon, who walks that line between being likable to the players but also demanding of what he expects from them.

The word "aggressive" continues to come up in relation to the offense. While it's probably not a carbon copy scheme wise, from a philosophy standpoint I'm told that it will be similar to some of the Byrnes offenses that Jake Bentley grew up in. Last year's offense had more of a deliberate, move the ball but don't make mistakes philosophy whereas this one will look to be one that can score from any place on the field and the staff believes they have the weapons to do so.

A big focus this offseason has been on Bentley improving the consistency of the deep ball. Bentley was actually very accurate on deep balls as a true freshman and I expect him to be this season, after taking a step back in that category last season. Footwork and balance is a huge part of that process and Werner has paid extra attention to those aspects. I don't expect Carolina to go away from the other aspects of their offense we saw in the Outback Bowl - particularly the quick screen game when defenses give cushions on the outside - but this offense is going to be designed to where Carolina takes its shots when they're available which could, in theory, lead to more big plays.

If you listen to Dan Werner's comments from today, he makes it clear that he believes all the ingredients for a strong offense are there. Now it's up to the players and coaches to go make it happen.

** I mentioned this in the summer, but it's worth mentioning again, running back Rico Dowdle has responded well to being challenged by the coaching staff this offseason and has had a strong start to fall camp from everything I've heard. He's put in the extra work this offseason and it's paying off. Having a healthy Deebo Samuel and a healthy Dowdle on the field is a key for this team and that's not lost on the coaches by any means. It's still an ongoing battle at the running back position, but I get the impression from those I've talked to that Dowdle has the current edge to be the starter. Both AJ Turner and Ty'Son Williams have also done some good things.

** Early impressions are that freshman offensive linemen Dylan Wonnum, Jovaughn Gwyn and Hank Manos are all "hits" as recruiting evaluations. Will they be asked to play this year? That remains to be seen, but they've got a very bright future.

** It sounds like the returning offensive lineman who has made the most progress this offseason is Jordan Rhodes. He didn't play much high school ball, so he's really still young as far as football experience goes but the staff has really pushed him hard to try and develop him and he's making strides (as opposed to sort of just letting him develop at his own pace). This is a kid with big-time upside and who is likely a future starter if he keeps progressing. While Malik Young is sort of the "sixth guy" on the line, I think Rhodes has the chance to be the next guy up or maybe even could make a scenario where he's the first guy off the bench for the interior and Young is the first guy off the bench at tackle.

** Wide receiver OrTre Smith is off to a very nice start to fall camp too. He looks far more comfortable now than he did this time last year and has caught the ball consistently I'm told.

** Based on everything I've heard, I'd say the two biggest concerns on defense remain the depth on the interior of the defensive line and safety play.

Steven Montac has been good at safety so far and he knows the defense very well plus has a knack for making plays. The other guys are still learning and still coming along. You have to think that Will Muschamp will get it out of that group, because there is a lot of raw talent there, but they're pushing hard to bring the young players along at the position as fast as possible.

It's not ideal, but some young guys will also likely be forced into action on the interior of the defensive line.

** As a whole, I believe the media has maybe undersold just how big the loss of linebacker Bryson Allen-Williams was to the team last year. Allen-Williams was a huge part of what the staff did on defense early in the season last year and I expect for that to be the case again this year, even though it hasn't been a major part of the discussion it seems.. I'd look for Allen-Williams and DJ Wonnum to be on the field together a lot and for the staff to use their two best pass-rushers as chess pieces up front that they try to move around to get into 1-on-1 rush situations.

Recruiting notes

** TL Hanna was in Georgia for a scrimmage yesterday when UGASports.com's Jake Reuse was able to catch up with South Carolina defensive end commit Zacch Pickens.

Pickens told Reuse that his recruitment is "done" and he's firmly committed to South Carolina. Pickens has no other official visits planned and doesn't expect to plan them. Georgia was his No. 2 school when he committed to Carolina, and they're still keeping up with him, along with Alabama and Clemson. Pickens added that the Gamecock fans and staff made him feel like family. He has close relationships with Travaris Robinson, Lance Thompson and Will Muschamp. He really considers that Muschamp relationship a blessing, as Muschamp has taken his time from his schedule to create the relationship

** South Carolina and Georgia are going head-to-head on several defensive backs - two of which will make their decisions in August. At this point I've put in a prediction for South Carolina with Cam Smith and Jammie Robinson. I have also added a Georgia prediction for JUCO defensive back D.J. Daniel. Both Smith and Daniel are set to make their decisions this month. I feel pretty confident in all three of those picks.

Today’s Carolina Confidential is brought to you by Herring Insurance Services. Call, email, or PM Gamecock Central member Brent Herring today to discuss your home and auto insurance needs.

Located in Lexington but serving all of the Carolinas
803-356-0763
Brent@BrentHerring.com
@BHerring06

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.