ADVERTISEMENT

Carolina softball.....just another Gamecock program in decline

USC2USC

Aug 6, 2001
What happened to our softball program? There is some success and tradition there and they just finished in last place in the SEC. They are 26-25 and a terrible 4-20 in SEC play. Currently playing in the conference tourney and wish them well but a brutal year. They have an RPI of 49 which is also worst in the league.

At the same time, Clemson (in only the second year of the programs existence!) shut us out when we played in Columbia and they are 40-5 and in first place in the ACC.

How does that even happen? I guess only at Carolina.

Agreed mostly, but were we ever good? I’ve about given up. The powers in place do not want to win. As long as their checks clear the bank they are happy. I won’t lose sleep over the teams. I turned that game off last night in the 5th Not a dime from me so **** em.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
What happened to our softball program? There is some success and tradition there and they just finished in last place in the SEC. They are 26-25 and a terrible 4-20 in SEC play. Currently playing in the conference tourney and wish them well but a brutal year. They have an RPI of 49 which is also worst in the league.

At the same time, Clemson (in only the second year of the programs existence!) shut us out when we played in Columbia and they are 40-5 and in first place in the ACC.

In fairness, the team had reached the NCAA Tournament for 7 straight years. This is the first bad year they've had in a while. I don't think it's time to panic yet. I follow the team because my daughters love softball, and this year the team's top 2 pitchers, who were normally pretty good, were both terrible this year. I'm told they both had some injuries that contributed to that, but I think you're overreacting.

SEC softball is normally very good and there have been several recent years where all 13 teams made the NCAAs.

I do agree that it sucks that Clemson has ascended so quickly. The Cagle kid was fantastic for them and they got some help with some grad transfers. USC will have to get some transfers this year to keep up.

In fairness, the team had reached the NCAA Tournament for 7 straight years. This is the first bad year they've had in a while. I don't think it's time to panic yet. I follow the team because my daughters love softball, and this year the team's top 2 pitchers, who were normally pretty good, were both terrible this year. I'm told they both had some injuries that contributed to that, but I think you're overreacting.

SEC softball is normally very good and there have been several recent years where all 13 teams made the NCAAs.

I do agree that it sucks that Clemson has ascended so quickly. The Cagle kid was fantastic for them and they got some help with some grad transfers. USC will have to get some transfers this year to keep up.
Thanks for your post and all good points.

This is where I don't trust Tanner. If this program is on a trajectory down (not saying coach should be fired this year) he needs to watch really closely and start working behind the scenes on a possible coaching transition. I hope softball doesn't go the way of men's soccer where a coach that was on the decline was allowed to stay too long and now the program is totally mired in mediocrity and schools all around us (yes, #1 ranked Clemson) have passed us by.

Reactions: mannblack

This is where I don't trust Tanner. If this program is on a trajectory down (not saying coach should be fired this year) he needs to watch really closely and start working behind the scenes on a possible coaching transition. I hope softball doesn't go the way of men's soccer where a coach that was on the decline was allowed to stay too long and now the program is totally mired in mediocrity and schools all around us (yes, #1 ranked Clemson) have passed us by.

I think I read recently where the softball coaches' contract was extended prior to the start of the season. If true, why did Tanner EXTEND her contract this year knowing that the season was going to suck?

I think I read recently where the softball coaches' contract was extended prior to the start of the season. If true, why did Tanner EXTEND her contract this year knowing that the season was going to suck?

Cause Tanner is going to Tanner.

As a point of reference SEC has Three teams in top 6, four more in top 25, and three more in top 30. Ten teams in total. SEC Softball is almost as dominant as SEC Baseball.

As a point of reference SEC has Three teams in top 6, four more in top 25, and three more in top 30. Ten teams in total. SEC Softball is almost as dominant as SEC Baseball.

Maybe and this may not be the intent of your post but at some point we really have to stop using the strength of our conference as an excuse for our own mediocrity.

We had softball before the SEC had softball but yet we managed to become non-relevant almost immediately after the sport was added to the conference.
We kept Joyce Compton around way too long.

SMITH AT CAROLINA
Year | Record | NCAA RPI Finish | NCAA Finish
2011 26-30 82 --
2012 23-32 99 --
2013 34-25 37 Austin Regional Finals
2014 36-22 34 Tallahassee Regional
2015 38-22 32 Tallahassee Regional
2016 38-23 24 Tallahassee Regional Finals
2017 34-25 22 Tucson Regional Finals
2018 49-17 9 Tempe Super Regional
2019 38-19 22 Tallahassee Regional Finals
2020 17-6 NA NA

SMITH AT CAROLINA
Year | Record | NCAA RPI Finish | NCAA Finish
2011 26-30 82 --
2012 23-32 99 --
2013 34-25 37 Austin Regional Finals
2014 36-22 34 Tallahassee Regional
2015 38-22 32 Tallahassee Regional
2016 38-23 24 Tallahassee Regional Finals
2017 34-25 22 Tucson Regional Finals
2018 49-17 9 Tempe Super Regional
2019 38-19 22 Tallahassee Regional Finals
2020 17-6 NA NA
Thank you for the research, looks like a bad season, not a program in decline yet. I also had daughters who played. Softball is a quick and very fun game and the fundamentals are normally executed well. As several have mentioned, one or two key pieces can change everything (a dominant pitcher, etc.)

Regarding Clempson they have a super player. That want last. The ACC us weak. Don't believe it? Wait and see what Bama does to them this weekend.

Reactions: mavcock
Never the less our softball team is poorly coached in fundamentals, coaches make bad recruiting evaluations, and apathy is so evident. I mean what is two year buyout on a softball coach. Cannot be that much. USC deserves better than what we are getting. Beverly Smith is not the one to take us back to the level where we once were. Sure she is a nice person, runs a clean program, but she is not the coach to take us to the level. Sorry she is not. The roster really needs to be evaluated and the ones who are not part of the plan to take us where we need to be should be told to transfer. Harsh but true. No other school would tolerate Beverly Smith especially with the resources that have been put into that softball facility. The sooner we can make a change the better off we would be.

Never the less our softball team is poorly coached in fundamentals, coaches make bad recruiting evaluations, and apathy is so evident. I mean what is two year buyout on a softball coach. Cannot be that much. USC deserves better than what we are getting. Beverly Smith is not the one to take us back to the level where we once were. Sure she is a nice person, runs a clean program, but she is not the coach to take us to the level. Sorry she is not. The roster really needs to be evaluated and the ones who are not part of the plan to take us where we need to be should be told to transfer. Harsh but true. No other school would tolerate Beverly Smith especially with the resources that have been put into that softball facility. The sooner we can make a change the better off we would be.
It's going to be a hard sell for any A.D. to fire a coach who had one subpar year after straight NCAAs. I think it will take more than that for a change to happen, and to a large extent, Smith has more than earned the opportunity to rebuild. She took over a program 11 years ago that had fallen so far behind that they weren't even competitive in the SEC.

SEC softball is a tremendous conference from top to bottom and there have been several years where all 13 teams have made the postseason.

That being said, I do somewhat agree that the program has plateaued. During the 7 year NCAA Tournament stretch, they've made only 1 Super Regional and Clemson did a nice job in only their second year as a program thanks to good recruiting and picking up some good grad transfers, which unfortunately is the wave of the future.

This year's team was a bit strange because they got their seniors back who were supposed to graduate last year - 2 of them were outstanding, but 2 of them, who are pitchers were awful. Smith is a former pitcher and she has never been able to get that star pitcher. Most of the young pitchers from this year were mediocre at best. Long story short, they should have been better. Outside of their top 2 hitters (who were 5th-year players), the offense regressed.

So with all of that, the next year or two will be telling and Smith deserves the opportunity to still be there, but it can't stagnate. I hope it's better next year. I've taken my daughters to games for years, and Smith is great and recruits good kids. Go Gamecocks!

Reactions: SV-Viking4
One thing I've certainly noticed about our softball team and coaches in the past several years, both in person and on television. They obviously have, by far, the best training table/cafeteria on campus.

One thing I've certainly noticed about our softball team and coaches in the past several years, both in person and on television. They obviously have, by far, the best training table/cafeteria on campus.
So you are saying they lack speed? Lol

really? one bad year in the last 8 and we gonna put the coach on the hot seat? this my friend, is the problem we have with fans, not ray tanner

The last 4 years that were completed we had a top 25 team. Would have been 5 if not for a pandemic. She inherited a team barely cracking the top 100. Id say Beverly Smith has done a solid job. It would be foolish to start applying pressure there. As many have mentioned, in this sport you are always one pitcher away. Outside of women’s basketball, I’m not sure there are many other parts of our program performing better over the last 8-10 years as the softball program.

If the team flounders in the 40s and below for a few seasons, then it’s time to have the talk. We can’t just fire coaches in every sport on one down season. A lot of programs suffered down years coming out of a pandemic for a variety of reasons.

Drop equestrian and put money in softball and offer gymnastics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT