ADVERTISEMENT

Caslen: AD Tanner asked FSU...

Your understanding of Generals must have come from movies.... A General not a consensus builder..... Come on man.... The students are uncomfortable around him? That's a broad statement..... Some people are always uncomfortable around authority.... Just human nature.. Stop watching war movies

I love war movies. That being said, you misread my original post. I said, University presidents must be consensus builders. Caslen is not.

One of the characteristics most admirable in the great leaders is their ability to make those around them feel at ease.

Reactions: howard13
I was against Caslen at first but now I see the error of my ways. He is an absolute perfect fit for this University. He fits right in. If I didn't know any better I would swear he had been here years.

Reactions: jonesz21
I'm of the opinion that when it comes to the govt and schools, spending doesn't matter. Incoming money does. I'll give you an example. We are now in the time of year where nearly all govt departments and all publicly funded schools are scrambling to spend what is left in their budgets (no matter how unnecessary those expenditures are) to avoid having their budgets cut next year for not spending what they were alloted. That's the way of the govt.
As much as I'd like to see such depts and schools run as a business, I'd be beating my head against the wall to expect as much. In short, because of the system, I don't get too concerned about buyouts and other forms of spending. But I do believe (because income matters) when the powers that be think more revenue will be generated by making a change, a change will be made. It's all about the money.
And thats exactly how it is in private industry as well. I've seen it done. "You need new tools? We have X amount we have to spend so our budget doesn't get cut."

Caslen is in way over his head and our board of trustees is a CF. At this point we need to keep Muschamp in place, fix the BOT and hire a new president before we do anything. There is no way I want Caslen involved in hiring a new coach.

I posted this in another thread as well:

You guys are acting like this is Caslen's first rodeo. It isn't. He has been at one of the most prestigious universities in the nation--West Point--which, by the way, is an institution directly connected to one of the most thoroughly politically convoluted and difficult places in the World--The US Army. If you think the man hasn't calculated his actions, then you are a fool who can't see the bigger picture. It's basically telling Muschamp to get your affairs in order or get out, showing the coaching community that a vacancy may be imminent, while also telling the fan base he is aware of the problems in the athletic department. In addition, it should serve as an unofficial warning to Tanner of who is in the driver's seat. Perception is sometimes more important than reality. If he can create the perception by Tanner and Muschamp that he is willing to part ways with them, it will force them to either work harder, or find new employment. Honestly, the national media isn't as concerned with what is going on here as many of you think. Plus, society's memory is short; they would forget what is happening before next season because some other idiot in the sports industry will do something stupid. All the while, Caslen will have time to examine coaching options.

I love war movies. That being said, you misread my original post. I said, University presidents must be consensus builders. Caslen is not.

One of the characteristics most admirable in the great leaders is their ability to make those around them feel at ease.
He hasn't been there long enough for everyone to get to know who he is as a man.... Some of my most trying times as a Gunny in the Marine Corps have been eased and placated by 2 and 3 star Generals... When everyone around him including students start seeing him as just a man, they will see what I KNOW

You guys are acting like this is Caslen's first rodeo. It isn't. He has been at one of the most prestigious universities in the nation--West Point--which, by the way, is an institution directly connected to one of the most thoroughly politically convoluted and difficult places in the World--The US Army. If you think the man hasn't calculated his actions, then you are a fool who can't see the bigger picture. It's basically telling Muschamp to get your affairs in order or get out, showing the coaching community that a vacancy may be imminent, while also telling the fan base he is aware of the problems in the athletic department. In addition, it should serve as an unofficial warning to Tanner of who is in the driver's seat. Perception is sometimes more important than reality. If he can create the perception by Tanner and Muschamp that he is willing to part ways with them, it will force them to either work harder, or find new employment. Honestly, the national media isn't as concerned with what is going on here as many of you think. Plus, society's memory is short; they would forget what is happening before next season because some other idiot in the sports industry will do something stupid. All the while, Caslen will have time to examine coaching options.

Agreed. Well put!

I wholehearted disagree with you and I have 30 years experience in higher education to back it up. Caslen may do well in a military environment where the general is never questioned. On the campus of a major university the president MUST be a consensus builder. Caslen is not. Watching him interact with students is painfully uncomfortable. The students are uncomfortable with him, and he with them.

The president of the States flagship university also needs to be deft at maneuvering in the State House. His dictatorial nature is disastrous politically.

We should all be worried about our university with this guy at the helm.

The students are uncomfortable because they are a generation of people who don't actually research what they see and hear to check the veracity of the information.

Additionally, if you think generals are never questioned, then you obviously haven't looked much into military history. What you said, "I have 30 years experience in higher ed to back it up" doesn't qualify you to make statements about what goes on in the military. That's like saying, "I have 30 years of experience being a while male, so I understand the experience of a black male". Those are two wholly different experiences with wholly different specific events. You can draw comparisons--being a male in both situations will have similarities.

Great post

What so many are missing is that West Point, while an excellent MILITARY college, is very, very far from a State university.

I speak only for myself, but I will tell you I am furious that Caslen, let all of this spiral out of control in the press instead of having the gonads to pull Muschamp and Ray into a room and lay all the cards on the table. His moves this week are cowardly, immature and detrimental to our school.His actions will severely limit our skills to recruit faculty, staff and students, let alone a football coach. Who the heck wants to work, or attend this school with this administration? If you're not pissed off, you should be!

What so many are missing is that West Point, while an excellent MILITARY college, is very, very far from a State university.

I speak only for myself, but I will tell you I am furious that Caslen, let all of this spiral out of control in the press instead of having the gonads to pull Muschamp and Ray into a room and lay all the cards on the table. His moves this week are cowardly, immature and detrimental to our school.His actions will severely limit our skills to recruit faculty, staff and students, let alone a football coach. Who the heck wants to work, or attend this school with this administration? If you're not pissed off, you should be!

I disagree, which is what I said earlier. It was a calculated move. West Point is a public university, just like USC. They are bound by many of the same rules and regulations that any other public institution has to follow. I don't think it's out of control at all; a man with his career credentials understands strategic moves, or else he wouldn't have risen to where he is now. He is playing the media right now, and now Muschamp--and probably Tanner--understands which dog is the Alpha. He doesn't need to say anything else. The situation is clear to Muschamp without him having to spell anything else out. I like what Caslen is doing. Don't act like there was this giant contingent who opposed Caslen's hiring. There were like 100 students who protested, which is a fraction of a percent of USC's enrollment. In addition, they didn't even take the time to research about how he improved the safety of students at West Point.

Also, do you know, FOR A FACT, that he has NOT called them into his office to read them the riot act? You don't. None of us do.

I dealt with Caslen in the past. He's not as smart as some here think. He goofed on this one. And while he is a leader, he is also a chain of command guy. He won't get out front of the BOT. I can promise you that.

I don’t think Caslen wanted to be involved this early with the football team. The truth is we pushed all this on him, and now we’re saying he doesn’t know what he’s doing. I heard so many of our fans say they hoped the new president would fire Champ if Tanner didn’t do it. And the man stated from the Jump that he supported both Muschamp and Tanner. He said he would look at the situation at the end of the year like they do every department. But that didn’t “suffice, We couldn’t leave well enough alone, and the fan base got louder, and the media did also. And the “target” we wanted to know what Bob Caslen thinks! So the man talks and now we’re deeming him to be the stupidest President South Carolina ever had. What’s up with that?

I disagree, which is what I said earlier. It was a calculated move. West Point is a public university, just like USC. They are bound by many of the same rules and regulations that any other public institution has to follow. I don't think it's out of control at all; a man with his career credentials understands strategic moves, or else he wouldn't have risen to where he is now. He is playing the media right now, and now Muschamp--and probably Tanner--understands which dog is the Alpha. He doesn't need to say anything else. The situation is clear to Muschamp without him having to spell anything else out. I like what Caslen is doing. Don't act like there was this giant contingent who opposed Caslen's hiring. There were like 100 students who protested, which is a fraction of a percent of USC's enrollment. In addition, they didn't even take the time to research about how he improved the safety of students at West Point.

Also, do you know, FOR A FACT, that he has NOT called them into his office to read them the riot act? You don't. None of us do.

So you like that Caslen has made us one of the last destinations where any college coach would want to work? This is precisely the point his antics in the press have brought us to. If those were calculated moves, we need to be more worried than I thought. No thinking person, let alone a calculating one would have made those moves.

Maybe, maybe, West Point follows some of the academic requirements required for certification that other schools do, but that's where it stops.

A little USC West Point comparison:
  • All of WPs operational finances come through the Military. USC receives very small percentage of operation funds from the State
  • 74% of their faculty are active military.
  • Every West Point Cadet receives full tuition and a $10,000 stipend. About 63% of Freshmen at USC receive $2,849 in scholarship money. Upperclassmen receive slightly less.
  • West Point offers 36 academic majors which are heavily skewed toward STEM fields. There are 15 minor areas of study. USC is an accredited Research University with thousands of course offerings and hundreds of majors.
  • Every West Point Cadet is recommended for enrollment by their local Congressman/Woman.Their entire student body is filled with top tier students. The Student body average GPA is 3.73. USC has a standard rolling admissions process geared toward recruiting out of state students, serving the needs of the State of South Carolina, and meeting diversity standards set by the Board of Trustees. I couldn't find the average GPA for the student body, but you can stay enrolled as long as you maintain a 2.0.
How can you say "West Point is a public university, just like USC?

He can't be reassigned anyway. He contracted to be Head Coach and we agreed to pay him for that job.

Not only can he not be reassigned, doubt he's under any obligation to overhaul his staff if he chooses not to. Though he'll probably have to do some shuffling for appearance sake.

Something to keep a close eye on. We'll see how much he wants that buyout.

Reactions: OldWiseCock
So you like that Caslen has made us one of the last destinations where any college coach would want to work? This is precisely the point his antics in the press have brought us to. If those were calculated moves, we need to be more worried than I thought. No thinking person, let alone a calculating one would have made those moves.

Maybe, maybe, West Point follows some of the academic requirements required for certification that other schools do, but that's where it stops.

• All of WPs operational finances come through the Military. USC receives very small percentage of operation funds from the State
  • Every West Point Cadet receives full tuition and a $10,000 stipend. About 63% of Freshmen at USC receive $2,849 in scholarship money. Upperclassmen receive slightly less.
  • West Point offers 36 academic majors which are heavily skewed toward STEM fields. There are 15 minor areas of study. USC is an accredited Research University with thousands of course offerings and hundreds of majors.
  • Every West Point Cadet is recommended for enrollment by their local Congressman/Woman.Their entire student body is filled with top tier students. The Student body average GPA is 3.73. USC has a standard rolling admissions process geared toward recruiting out of state students, serving the needs of the State of South Carolina, and meeting diversity standards set by the Board of Trustees. I couldn't find the average GPA for the student body, but you can stay enrolled as long as you maintain a 2.0.
Well, everything between the first quotation mark and the comma is true.

Reactions: cockyferg
This just shows why Ray should be removed as AD, he doesn't know how to manage a buyout so he goes and asks FSU on how they did it. This is what happens when you hire a baseball coach for AD.
It didn't happen....please.

Yeah, don't understand why some are making such a big deal about it. I like and admire Caslen from being in the military. I like his stone faced look when watching Will's team underperform.
He knows what he is doing. Some seem to be grasping at straws in order to have something to complain about.
He knows what he's doing because he's stone-faced?

Not only can he not be reassigned, doubt he's under any obligation to overhaul his staff if he chooses not to. Though he'll probably have to do some shuffling for appearance sake.

Something to keep a close eye on. We'll see how much he wants that buyout.

We fired two coaches in my memory and tried to get out of paying them what was left on their contract. (Carlen and Bell) Both sued and both won.

Reactions: Wiles2
If Champ were smart, he would ride the current wave of feigned outrage from media and Caslen haters today and negotiate a lesser but substantial payout. He leaves and piles it on the University Administration with the media, essentially redefining himself not as a failed head coach, but one who was winning but simply could not succeed in that environment. He preserves at least some little bit of a chance he might be a head coach again. Now he has none.

And Johnnysurfin, you hit it on the head.

Reactions: Brace1
I never realized that I could calculate a move by being recorded and then saying it didn't happen. Thats freaking awesome. I mean its not like anyone would ever call me out and release that recording.

I used to think liberals were naive for wanting a Utopian society but now I realize they might be smarter than the conservative idiots.

I can see what you are doing, but honestly I don't have enough invested in this conversation to reply to it all.

I said it is public because it is public; I don't see how that is confusing. The schools are different in terms of degrees because it is a specialized school. You wouldn't expect someone to attend Georgia Tech for an English degree. It is geared toward a military career. You know what? The military is highly mathematical and technological---hence the focus on that curricula. Ever heard of the army corps of engineers? GPA comparison across universities isn't all that accurate. I doubt most of our football players are getting mechanical engineering degrees, and it isn't hard to keep a 3.0 in PRTM. GPA is largely an irrelevant statistic, unless you want to break it down by major. Plus, West Point is considered an excellent, rigorous academic institution.

I never realized that I could calculate a move by being recorded and then saying it didn't happen. Thats freaking awesome. I mean its not like anyone would ever call me out and release that recording.

I used to think liberals were naive for wanting a Utopian society but now I realize they might be smarter than the conservative idiots.
California awaits you!

Wrong, money answers everything and SC does not have what donors think they have in comparison to a lot of other schools, esp. the big blue bloods.
Answered nothing... Do you think we are broke or something.... That's just foolish to think we can't pay Muschamp a couple million dollars over the next 5 or 6 years... And if he gets another job offsets even more of that.... He will be in demand as a DC

Offer Chump a $10 million lump sum cash buyout now with no hinderance on future earnings. He will get $6 million after taxes now instead of getting smaller amounts spread over the next few years.

Chump can then move on to a position coach at UGA working for his buddy Kirby.

Simple...
He can jump up and down with the 3rd down sign.

I dealt with Caslen in the past. He's not as smart as some here think. He goofed on this one. And while he is a leader, he is also a chain of command guy. He won't get out front of the BOT. I can promise you that.
If you have dealt with him before.... You would know that was bullshit...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT