ADVERTISEMENT

CBS News lists the best college in every state

You could say it two thousand times, and you would still be wrong. USC has a larger number of out of state students in an effort to cheat the in state students and boost revenue from tuition.
Pct. idiot. A school with twice as many students will have more out of State students. Post the percentage. While at it post the African American percentage at each school.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Pct. idiot. A school with twice as many students will have more out of State students. Post the percentage. While at it post the African American percentage at each school.

I have posted them in this thread twice and I think you are wrong. USC has 40% of its students from out of state, Clemson has 34%. This is according to each schools' website.

You could say it two thousand times, and you would still be wrong. USC has a larger number of out of state students in an effort to cheat the in state students and boost revenue from tuition.
If you are going to spit venom on a rivals forum, come with facts.
One of your own people has proved you wrong on this thread.

Reactions: Lakecock1
Their academic ranking was on the rise before they became nationally prominent in football. Otherwise I agree with what you said. Similar to Va Tech.

They are strong in the STEM disciplines (science, technology, engineering, and math) whereas USC is strong in everything else (business, law, education, journalism, nursing/health sciences, political science, criminal justice, behavioral sciences like psychology and sociology, and fine arts like music and dance). A more specialized school that focuses on the STEM disciplines is naturally going to have higher average SAT scores and tougher admission requirements. But that doesn't make it a "better" school. It all depends on program of study. You want to be an engineer, architect, or IT professional, Clemson would be the better choice. You want to major in almost anything else, USC would be the better choice.

And by the way, that difference is intentional. Most states have one flagship public institution that offers a broad, general studies education, yet another that has a more specialized focus on STEM or agricultural disciplines. Consider UVA vs. Va Tech, UNC vs. NC State, UGA vs. Ga Tech, Bama vs. Auburn, Texas vs. Texas A&M, etc. Typically the general studies university was founded first and the sibling STEM institution was founded later to serve that specific need. It's a very common model in public higher education.
I agree to a point. Simply saying if you want to be an engineer, you go to Clempson. The academic 'levels' of engineering schools vary GREATLY from school to school.

Well, your first 5 words are true. After that, not so much.
The old Culture vs Agriculture discussion..

Maybe Clempson will be a prime place to live if we ever get into an 'Interstellar' scenario. Or find out that cow manure is the future of energy independence.

the dean of the honors college at clemson has 2 kids at usc. the dean of the honors college at usc has his kid at usc. is that objective? clemson has zero rhodes scholars. we have 10.

stats are what you make of them. clemson plays the us news game.....it is well documented that they rig class size....great whistle blower article about it a few years back

and to the wofford post above....ummm....no.

i only post because my son just went through college apps. got in first notice to UVA, headed to honors at usc....his decision based on medical school acceptance at 99% for honors...80% UVA.

USC accepts more students from South CArolina and more freshman students overall. Clemson probaby does not cont students n the bridge that go to Tech school and pay $ 20,000 to enter the bridge program. Clemson has many outstanding programs along with USC. USC is stronger in the Arts and Science fields and in the business schools.have thought Furman and Wofford would lead the state in Ars and science programs to enter top law schools, medical schools, etc.

USC accepts more students from South CArolina and more freshman students overall. Clemson probaby does not cont students n the bridge that go to Tech school and pay $ 20,000 to enter the bridge program. Clemson has many outstanding programs along with USC. USC is stronger in the Arts and Science fields and in the business schools.have thought Furman and Wofford would lead the state in Ars and science programs to enter top law schools, medical schools, etc.

Clemson ain't chit
-Greenville Tech

So what if the Dean of the Honors College at Clemson has two kids at USC? We don't know anything about the academics of the two kids. Also, maybe they wanted to study something that wasn't offered at Clemson? Two kids picking USC isn't objective data. That's anecdotal.

Rhodes Scholars tend to be Liberal Arts students. Clemson's strength is in Engineering.
What are you? A tater?

. . . and this opinion article comes from a tv network that hasn't been relevant since Walter Cronkite retired over 50 years ago! (Sigh!)

Let's do some Clemson math, folks. Read the paragraph below, taken directly from Clem's FAQ page (link on page 1) and tell me how the hell those figures arrive at 100%.

How many students attend Clemson?

We have more than 16,000 undergraduate and 4,200 graduate and professional students. Sixty-seven percent of undergraduates are from South Carolina, 32 percent come from other U.S. states and territories, and 2 percent are from other countries.

Let's do some Clemson math, folks. Read the paragraph below, taken directly from Clem's FAQ page (link on page 1) and tell me how the hell those figures arrive at 100%.

We have more than 16,000 undergraduate and 4,200 graduate and professional students. Sixty-seven percent of undergraduates are from South Carolina, 32 percent come from other U.S. states and territories, and 2 percent are from other countries.

Are you really going to nitpick rounding issues? 66.8% + 31.9% + 2.3% = 100.00% yet would be described more generically as 67% + 32% + 2% due to rounding. Yet this is the level of debate we're having over the quality of education at either USC vs. Clemson?

Reactions: idohvac2

Dude get a life (or job), did you really just go look that up on tater.edu and copy and paste it here? Yikes

Are you really going to nitpick rounding issues? 66.8% + 31.9% + 2.3% = 100.00% yet would be described more generically as 67% + 32% + 2% due to rounding. Yet this is the level of debate we're having over the quality of education at either USC vs. Clemson?
Did you seriously nitpick a post about nitpicking by going to such extremes as creating fictional values?

As far as education, ever heard of a comma?

wile-e-boulder.gif

one thing no one mentions. USC has 10K more
studnets than Clemson. If you took the top 66% of the freshman students from both colleges the SAT scores are actually a few points higher at USCI read an article about this years ago and wished I had saved it. We take students with liberal arts majors No one goes to Clemson ad majors in hisotry

Reactions: Cock_Donor
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT