ADVERTISEMENT

CBS says pods ruled out. Deciding between 8 and 9 conference game model.

BattleshipTexas

Oct 15, 2001
This is an article today from CBS Sports. An SEC schedule that has us playing OU, Arkansas and A&M every year is my hope. Read below.

“The SEC has narrowed its proposed future scheduling format down to two options, according to Sports Illustrated. The league will debate between an eight-game and a nine-game model, which will be the main topic of conversation at this week's SEC Meetings in Destin, Florida.

The eight-game model would feature one common opponent each season with a rotating schedule of seven games. The nine-game model would feature three common opponents with six rotating games a year. Other models, including so-called "pods" and divisions, have already been ruled out.

The battle is largely split along revenue and competition lines, according to SI. The richest schools in the league prefer to maximize the earning potential of the league by increasing the number of SEC matchups to nine. This also allows schools to maintain a few more rivalries -- Texas could play both Oklahoma and Texas A&M every year, for example, in this model.

But while the bottom end of the SEC will be happy to get a payout from Texas and Oklahoma entering the league by the 2025 season, competition issues have them sweating. Keeping four nonconference games allows the lower tier programs in the SEC an easier path to reach bowl eligibility before the conference slate even begins. Playing nine conference games would be a headache, especially for a team like South Carolina that already plays nonconference rival Clemson every season.

The NCAA removed a requirement for conferences with at least 12 members to have divisions on May 18, clearing the way for different scheduling models and formats. The Pac-12 instantly became the first to change, announcing that the league's title game will take place between the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in conference winning percentage in 2022.

The SEC isn't in much of a rush to figure out a new scheduling model as Texas and Oklahoma may not enter the league until 2025. The divisional structure will be in place for at least the 2022 season.”

Reactions: Judson1
I surely hope the SEC isn’t entertaining keeping UT and A&M separated just because of the spat they have going. I mean if it truly works out where they aren’t permanents that’s fine (geographically that’s impossible). But to let the influence of their bickering enter the decision to keep them apart would be a piss poor way to conduct business IMO.

The nine-game model should be adopted. However, are "common" opponents the same as permanent opponents? If so, those four-team groups in which each team plays the other three are essentially pods, whether they are called that or not.

I surely hope the SEC isn’t entertaining keeping UT and A&M separated just because of the spat they have going. I mean if it truly works out where they aren’t permanents that’s fine (geographically that’s impossible). But to let the influence of their bickering enter the decision to keep them apart would be a piss poor way to conduct business IMO.
The people throwing a hissy fit/spat will be dead in a few yrs…….they should be teamed up….makes too much $ense.

The nine-game model should be adopted. However, are "common" opponents the same as permanent opponents? If so, those four-team groups in which each team plays the other three are essentially pods, whether they are called that or not.
We aren't going to do pods, we are going to do something that looks indistinguishable from pods, but not call it pods.

It does present an issue though. The schedule has been aided in years past by 3 ooc patsies each year. This limits the patsies to 2 a year.
Rotate some of our smaller state schools every yr…..find another out of state school that’s located in a destination city & have a road trip there every so often for the fans………..hey, it’s a win win……wake up Sunday morning with 2 headaches in n’awlins😆.

Exactly. And by not calling them that, some people feel better about it. I think that the nine-game arrangement has become the most likely. Wish y'all could get in there sooner than 2025. I'm old.
Some folks tried to make a distinction, saying a pod system is where the members of the pod play the exact same SEC schedule. Here you would always play the other "pod" members, but may be assigned different "other" SEC schools to play in a given year, for the remaining six SEC games. Rotating the "other" SEC schools annually so you play everybody at some point. I still call that pods.

Reactions: king ward
Some folks tried to make a distinction, saying a pod system is where the members of the pod play the exact same SEC schedule. Here you would always play the other "pod" members, but may be assigned different "other" SEC schools to play in a given year, for the remaining six SEC games. Rotating the "other" SEC schools annually so you play everybody at some point. I still call that pods.
So do I.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT