ADVERTISEMENT

CDC Director said today that kids should be returning to in-person school. Cites increased depressio

psycock

Jan 20, 2001
and suicide, increased substance use, including deaths by overdosing, likely child abuse(since most is reported by teachers), low risk of spread, etc. I know there are a lot of dedicated teachers out there, but their resistance as a whole has been appalling. They are supposed to be dedicated to the welfare and educational development of our children, who are falling farther and farther behind, especially low-income kids and minorities. A lot of kids get better nutrition at school apparently also. If the teachers are elderly, have significant health risks, then they should stay at home and do virtual. 99.9 % of the others are not going to be "risking their lives" by returning to school. Has not shown any significant spread in schools in foreign countries that have resumed school. Sorry, but the people risking their lives when they go to work everyday are people like first responders, police, etc. Teachers unions(liberal for the most part) are behind a lot of this - talk about disinformation, they are scaring people when the risk would be minimal. A lot of teachers apparently just don`t want to do their job. I have great respect for those who are willing to take a small chance of catching Covid, which likely wouldn`t cause significant symptoms unless their health is already compromised, Some of them need to visit the Wizard for a little "Courage." And, I work with children and adolescents daily, in person, and the vast majority don`t wear masks. Do I worry about Covid? Not much and I`m 65 yrs. old. The collateral damage being done to our young people outweighs by far, in my opinion, the risk the average person would incur if they return to school.

and suicide, increased substance use, including deaths by overdosing, likely child abuse(since most is reported by teachers), low risk of spread, etc. I know there are a lot of dedicated teachers out there, but their resistance as a whole has been appalling. They are supposed to be dedicated to the welfare and educational development of our children, who are falling farther and farther behind, especially low-income kids and minorities. A lot of kids get better nutrition at school apparently also. If the teachers are elderly, have significant health risks, then they should stay at home and do virtual. 99.9 % of the others are not going to be "risking their lives" by returning to school. Has not shown any significant spread in schools in foreign countries that have resumed school. Sorry, but the people risking their lives when they go to work everyday are people like first responders, police, etc. Teachers unions(liberal for the most part) are behind a lot of this - talk about disinformation, they are scaring people when the risk would be minimal. A lot of teachers apparently just don`t want to do their job. I have great respect for those who are willing to take a small chance of catching Covid, which likely wouldn`t cause significant symptoms unless their health is already compromised, Some of them need to visit the Wizard for a little "Courage." And, I work with children and adolescents daily, in person, and the vast majority don`t wear masks. Do I worry about Covid? Not much and I`m 65 yrs. old. The collateral damage being done to our young people outweighs by far, in my opinion, the risk the average person would incur if they return to school.
I am a financial professional working a new job with a new firm, basically “in training” so there is nothing “vital to the good of the country and others” about me going to work every day. I still go to work every day... In an office.... With other people... Why? Because IT IS MY JOB. If people have a job that tells them to come in to work, they do not HAVE TO... There is another choice- resignation. True of every single profession including teachers. Beyond all that- if my work was something where I spent my whole life telling people I do it for the benefit of the children... I would feel like a total hypocrite if I knew there were so many people in roles like my own going to work simply because “we have a job to do”, and even though my profession serves so much more valuable of a purpose for our kids... Well... I think I have made my point. Do your job, or find a new one. That is the real world.

Last edited:
I think all teachers, like my wife, agree that kids need to be in school.

But of course school needs to be a safe workplace for everyone, including teachers and staff.

Thankfully, there are various options being offered.

I don’t care what anyone else thinks about it. My wife’s health and therefore the health of my family is what is important. I don’t care if someone else likes it or not or what their personal situation happens to be. That’s their deal, it doesn’t impact me. Their opinion is worthless to me on the matter as it impacts my family.

Hoped virtual and in class would be an option. Some kids probably unable to do on line classes. My thought is smaller class size doing both methods could possibly lower risk for all. No perfect answer unfortunately.

Reactions: classof95#
Some states are already further delaying the start of the school year.
My neighbors boyfriend is intentionally going to try to get covid from her so that he can miss work for 2 weeks and get a paycheck. I’ve never met him, but he’s 50 years old or so. We’ll never get this thing under control with people like that running around.

Hoped virtual and in class would be an option. Some kids probably unable to do on line classes. My thought is smaller class size doing both methods could possibly lower risk for all. No perfect answer unfortunately.

This makes the most sense to me also. Give parents options, if they want/need to send kids to school they can, if they prefer to keep kids home with online option they can. Agree that fewer kids in school means lower risk to all.

Can't do the remote learning with any success, no matter what they say. It's great in theory, but without very involved parents it is a joke. It seems that the teacher crowd, mostly coming for the union I suppose, seem to not want to go back like they inherited some special vulnerability to Covid that the rest of us avoided. But I bet those same teachers had no issues with those that have been working since day one of the virus in grocery stores, drug stores, restaurants, Lowes, etc. Pretty good bet that if they were told to get back in class or the check stops coming there might be a little attitude adjustment

Reactions: BigTomE
For the teachers or family members of teachers on the board, what is your solution to....

1- If school is virtual should pay be the same as teachers who actually go into the classroom?

2- What would you propose for HS kids taking vocational classes like welding or electrical work? These are hands on skills and cannot be done virtually. Do these kids who are learning a skill get told no and have to wait until everyone is comfortable?

3- What do lower income and rural schools do that don’t have the money or technology to be virtual?

4- What about the other auxiliary staff that count on the school being physically open to get paid? (Bus drivers, cafeteria, janitorial, maintenance, etc....)

5- What do you say to the single parent who doesn’t have the option of staying home from work to assist or watch their kids virtual learning?

6- What do you say to the special needs kids that have to get speech therapy or other assistance in person?

There are more questions but I will digress after one more. I hear a lot (and believe it to be very true) that there is already a huge lack of respect for authority in the classroom. How do you think this will affect that? Will students eventually come back with a worse attitude towards teachers knowing that they were cowering away from working with them?

For the teachers or family members of teachers on the board, what is your solution to....

1- If school is virtual should pay be the same as teachers who actually go into the classroom?

2- What would you propose for HS kids taking vocational classes like welding or electrical work? These are hands on skills and cannot be done virtually. Do these kids who are learning a skill get told no and have to wait until everyone is comfortable?

3- What do lower income and rural schools do that don’t have the money or technology to be virtual?

4- What about the other auxiliary staff that count on the school being physically open to get paid? (Bus drivers, cafeteria, janitorial, maintenance, etc....)

5- What do you say to the single parent who doesn’t have the option of staying home from work to assist or watch their kids virtual learning?

6- What do you say to the special needs kids that have to get speech therapy or other assistance in person?

There are more questions but I will digress after one more. I hear a lot (and believe it to be very true) that there is already a huge lack of respect for authority in the classroom. How do you think this will affect that? Will students eventually come back with a worse attitude towards teachers knowing that they were cowering away from working with them?

I guess you just felt like arguing tonight huh. I doubt you came to see another perspective. I hope Billy the Welder and Susie with needs will come to the teachers funeral that you already don’t respect. I’m sure their family will appreciate it.

Teachers are heroes, particularly the ones that show up for work. Jk!

But seriously, why not offer a small “hazard” bonus for those that teach in person this year and folks that don’t want to teach in person can help with the optional virtual school? Maybe even one of those do gooder foundations that supposedly cares about kids could help pay for the bonus? Seems like the percent of parents not wanting their kids to go in person will be close to the percent of teachers not wanting to do the same. Hopefully the districts have polled the teachers and parents on that issue already.

A bonus for doing their job? Does everyone who elects to go back to work get that bonus? Because there's a lot of people who went back to work before now.

Crazy isn’t it. No companies ever offer bonuses in the private sector. And when they do I’m sure it’s somewhere between 0-2%.

Can't do the remote learning with any success, no matter what they say. It's great in theory, but without very involved parents it is a joke. It seems that the teacher crowd, mostly coming for the union I suppose, seem to not want to go back like they inherited some special vulnerability to Covid that the rest of us avoided. But I bet those same teachers had no issues with those that have been working since day one of the virus in grocery stores, drug stores, restaurants, Lowes, etc. Pretty good bet that if they were told to get back in class or the check stops coming there might be a little attitude adjustment

I agree, remote learning is great only in theory. Im willing to bet there are thousands of students who never logged in and completed their required work after schools closed earlier this year. My niece graduated high school last month and she said many of her friends never logged in one time. Not all parents are good parents.

Crazy isn’t it. No companies ever offer bonuses in the private sector. And when they do I’m sure it’s somewhere between 0-2%.

Yes, private sector jobs offer bonuses. Not for just showing up though.

Last edited:
I guess you just felt like arguing tonight huh. I doubt you came to see another perspective. I hope Billy the Welder and Susie with needs will come to the teachers funeral that you already don’t respect. I’m sure their family will appreciate it.

What about the cashier at your local grocer who has been working straight through this? No concern for her? Teachers are essential employees and should go to work. The CDC Director believes schools should open so that should put the issue to bed.
And for the record, I have a nephew with autism. You have some nerve mentioning respect for teachers after making a comment about "Susie with needs". Don't make disrespectful comments about special needs children. Be better than that

Reactions: rodemi
Yes, private sector jobs offer bonuses. Not for just showing up though.

Yeah well the same group you’re ready to get back to work for the economy has already been told no matter how hard they work they won’t get any pay increase.

What about the cashier at your local grocer who has been working straight through this? No concern for her? Teachers are essential employees and should go to work. The CDC Director believes schools should open so that should put the issue to bed.
And for the record, I have a nephew with autism. You have some nerve mentioning respect for teachers after making a comment about "Susie with needs". Don't make disrespectful comments about special needs children. Be better than that

Yeah well I have a family member that works at a grocery store. They received hazard pay and shields were put up. Got any of those in the schools yet?

The CDC Director my butt. You’ll listen to anyone that pushes your agenda. Of all these people how many of them are actually putting their kids in a public school (not would, Will)

Saying Susie with needs is not offensive. No different than Johnny the welder. Don’t be a snowflake.

Yeah well the same group you’re ready to get back to work for the economy has already been told no matter how hard they work they won’t get any pay increase.

My ex company froze salaries for the year too, about may timeframe. GE froze their salaries in town too. So not really unique.

What I will say is that some people argued very hard that this is a safety issue. A yearly raise or bonus doesnt change that, and makes the safety argument seem a lot less sincere.

My ex company froze salaries for the year too, about may timeframe. GE froze their salaries in town too. So not really unique.

What I will say is that some people argued very hard that this is a safety issue. A yearly raise or bonus doesnt change that, and makes the safety argument seem a lot less sincere.

Reality is the pay is crap. Most districts can’t find adequate teachers and subs because the pay sucks. You think it’s as easy as open up. Mark my words every school in this nation will be shut down by November. Once flu and Covid hit there won’t be enough faculty left.

This isn’t GE. This isn’t Michelin. You don’t just put the job out and 1000 people apply.

Saying Susie with needs is not offensive. No different than Johnny the welder. Don’t be a snowflake.

? First it was the unemployed, then cancer survivors, and now kids with special needs. (Yes, he specifically said that when you replied "susie with needs") Maybe you need to take a step back from the keyboard and reevaluate some things in your life.

A bonus for doing their job? Does everyone who elects to go back to work get that bonus? Because there's a lot of people who went back to work before now.
Supply and demand. You believe in that right? If there are more teachers willing to sit this year out than students, then they need an incentive to come to work, and we can bridge the divide that currently exists and is preventing things from getting done. Plus it’s a way to show appreciation for folks that have a hard job even in normal times. Same as tipping the waiter a little more, as I think many of us decent folks have been doing.

? First it was the unemployed, then cancer survivors, and now kids with special needs. (Yes, he specifically said that when you replied "susie with needs") Maybe you need to take a step back from the keyboard and reevaluate some things in your life.

You are so desperate for attention. I tell you what. If you or any other person touting the mental health can show me any post (Facebook, Twitter, GamecockCentral, etc...) that you’ve made prior to the coronavirus outbreak I might actually believe you. Most of you are just using kids as pawns in a political game to get what you want....and usually that’s free child care

You are so desperate for attention. I tell you what. If you or any other person touting the mental health can show me any post (Facebook, Twitter, GamecockCentral, etc...) that you’ve made prior to the coronavirus outbreak I might actually believe you.

So, you think BigTomE made up the autistic nephew to impress you? Unbelievable.

Supply and demand. You believe in that right? If there are more teachers willing to sit this year out than students, then they need an incentive to come to work, and we can bridge the divide that currently exists and is preventing things from getting done. Plus it’s a way to show appreciation for folks that have a hard job even in normal times. Same as tipping the waiter a little more, as I think many of us decent folks have been doing.

Noble effort but it’s useless with the Lurker. It’s a fitting name....

Yeah well I have a family member that works at a grocery store. They received hazard pay and shields were put up. Got any of those in the schools yet?

The CDC Director my butt. You’ll listen to anyone that pushes your agenda. Of all these people how many of them are actually putting their kids in a public school (not would, Will)

You're scared of a virus with a 99.96% recovery rate and im a snowflake?

I guess you missed the msnbc segment last week where Craig Melvin asked 6 or 7 different doctors and immunologists if they would be comfortable sending their children back to school and they all said YES! One said without a doubt! Another said absolutely! The camera cuts back to Craig who says, wow they all said yes.

Reactions: rodemi
You are so desperate for attention. I tell you what. If you or any other person touting the mental health can show me any post (Facebook, Twitter, GamecockCentral, etc...) that you’ve made prior to the coronavirus outbreak I might actually believe you. Most of you are just using kids as pawns in a political game to get what you want....and usually that’s free child care

If you're a teacher then do us all a favor and never go back to work. Thanks in advance

Reactions: Lurker123
So after claiming for weeks that it's a matter of life or death, you're arguing for a few percent raise or bonus to go to work.

I think that puts your past arguments in perspective.
You must have me confused with someone else. I was against shutdown from day one. But I also know it’s a fools errand to fight human nature, and right now (“right or wrong”) there are a lot of teachers hesitant to go to be in the classroom. Seems like a small bonus (even $1 or $2k) could buy some goodwill from a group of people that are necessary to getting the world back to normal. And I say that as someone with zero family members in the teaching profession.

I guess you missed the msnbc segment last week where Craig Melvin asked 6 or 7 different doctors and immunologists if they would be comfortable sending their children back to school and they all said YES! One said without a doubt! Another said absolutely! The camera cuts back to Craig who says, wow they all said yes.

Yeah a lot of people talk about what they would do. Give me the list of the people who actually are doing it. Craig Melvin had that response in total disbelief.....that wasn’t him reinforcing their thoughts.

99.96% recovery rate is disrespectful to those who have died from COVID. You can do better.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
You must have me confused with someone else. I was against shutdown from day one. But I also know it’s a fools errand to fight human nature, and right now (“right or wrong”) there are a lot of teachers hesitant to go to be in the classroom. Seems like a small bonus (even $1 or $2k) could buy some goodwill from a group of people that are necessary to getting the world back to normal. And I say that as someone with zero family members in the teaching profession.

Some people are only in favor of “right to work” as long as that’s a one way street....

Snowflake alert. I got my feelings hurt so then I got mean.

Says the guy who constantly goes on the attack.
Why do you feel as if you're entitled to special treatment? Everyone else is back at work. Just this week I've been to the dentist, gym, barber shop, several restaurants, grocery store, Lowes, gas station, coffee shop, and even the DMV. All open and fully staffed. Why do you feel entitled to special treatment? Perhaps you're the snowflake

Hell even nursing homes have remained fully staffed and they're the highest risk population

Says the guy who constantly goes on the attack.
Why do you feel as if you're entitled to special treatment? Everyone else is back at work. Just this week I've been to the dentist, gym, barber shop, several restaurants, grocery store, Lowes, gas station, coffee shop, and even the DMV. All open and fully staffed. Why do you feel entitled to denial treatment? Perhaps you're the snowflake

Look back in the thread. Who took the first shot. I don’t attack any posters first but don’t mind defending myself if it comes to that.

Luckily I’m equipped with the ability to not give a crap what you think. Good for you for getting back at it. If you end up Covid positive in the near future, this may be part of the reason why.

ADVERTISEMENT