ADVERTISEMENT

CDC Director said today that kids should be returning to in-person school. Cites increased depressio

99.96% recovery rate

You remind me of a guy I knew years ago. A car has crashed into a telephone pole head on, this guy walks up and says, “another one bites the dust.”

Im going to go out on a limb and guess you have no more than a high school math education.

Its not me doing the math.

https://coronavirusbellcurve.com/

US Death and Survival Rates
Table updated on a weekly basis when CDC updates demographic data.
Survival Rate is (Number of Deaths in Age Group) / (Total Cases in Age Group)
Explanation of survival rate here

Age % of Total Deaths Survival Rate (All Health Conditions) Survival Rate (Healthy Individuals)
0-44 Years
3% 99.67% 99.96%
45–64 years
18% 97.77% 99.76%
65–74 years 21% 91.33% 99.06%
75+ years 58% 79.16% 97.75%

Its not me doing the math.

https://coronavirusbellcurve.com/

US Death and Survival Rates
Table updated on a weekly basis when CDC updates demographic data.
Survival Rate is (Number of Deaths in Age Group) / (Total Cases in Age Group)
Explanation of survival rate here

Age % of Total Deaths Survival Rate (All Health Conditions) Survival Rate (Healthy Individuals)
0-44 Years
3% 99.67% 99.96%
45–64 years
18% 97.77% 99.76%
65–74 years 21% 91.33% 99.06%
75+ years 58% 79.16% 97.75%

Yeah so you took one demographic and stated that was the survival rate for the entire disease. May not seem like a big deal % wise, but it does result in tens of thousands of more deaths.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wlos.c...what-is-the-covid-survival-rate-for-us-and-nc

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as of yesterday, there had been 4,405,932 positive COVID cases across the country and 150,283 deaths. That survival rate is about 97 percent.

Never said that. I don’t know why I feed the troll that you are
Sure seemed like you did here:

"You are so desperate for attention. I tell you what. If you or any other person touting the mental health can show me any post (Facebook, Twitter, GamecockCentral, etc...) that you’ve made prior to the coronavirus outbreak I might actually believe you."

Yeah so you took one demographic and stated that was the survival rate for the entire disease. May not seem like a big deal % wise, but it does result in tens of thousands of more deaths.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wlos.c...what-is-the-covid-survival-rate-for-us-and-nc

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as of yesterday, there had been 4,405,932 positive COVID cases across the country and 150,283 deaths. That survival rate is about 97 percent.

I didn't do anything other than post the link to the CDC site which updates weekly. Please look at my post above. I copied and pasted the survival rate of all health conditions and the survival rate of healthy individuals. The site was last updated at 8:10 CST 7/31.
The survival rate for healthy individuals 75+ years of age is 97.75%. These numbers should reinforce that people with underlying conditions should use extreme caution while everyone else is a very little risk.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
You must have me confused with someone else.

You're absolutely right, I read the name wrong. Guy with a similar handle to yours has been arguing that this is life and death for weeks, and is now saying a few percent bonus will make that go away.

"You are so desperate for attention. I tell you what. If you or any other person touting the mental health can show me any post (Facebook, Twitter, GamecockCentral, etc...) that you’ve made prior to the coronavirus outbreak I might actually believe you."

Yeah that is in reference to the people that all of a sudden have a strong interest in the mental health of students in this state, not referring to his niece. I don’t know, don’t pretend to know and it really doesn’t matter either way.

He definitely said it. But I couldn't care less if he believes that I have a nephew with autism or not. There are many members on TIF that can attest to the fact that I've posted about my nephew dozens of times. He's an awesome kid and I'm extremely proud of him so of course I've posted about him before

I didn't do anything other than post the link to the CDC site which updates weekly. Please look at my post above. I copied and pasted the survival rate of all health conditions and the survival rate of healthy individuals. The site was last updated at 8:10 CST 7/31.
The survival rate for healthy individuals 75+ years of age is 97.75%. These numbers should reinforce that people with underlying conditions should use extreme caution while everyone else is a very little risk.

I did check out your cited web site. I am glad that most are recovering. However we are on pace to lose over 300,000 Americans from Covid without opening the schools. We don’t have enough information to know the long term effects. Some will survive but will not be the same afterwards. This is without schools opening.

You guys need to sober up before you get back on here. Now all of a sudden we have two experts on what I said....experts that know more than the guy who actually said it.

I did check out your cited web site. I am glad that most are recovering. However we are on pace to lose over 300,000 Americans from Covid without opening the schools. We don’t have enough information to know the long term effects. Some will survive but will not be the same afterwards. This is without schools opening.

I have not seen the number as high as 300,000. My intention is not to downplay the number of deaths, which are already too high. But the reality is that most healthy people, regardless of age, are at very little risk.

You guys need to sober up before you get back on here. Now all of a sudden we have two experts on what I said....experts that know more than the guy who actually said it.

I just quoted your post, where you actually said it.

Bigtom may believe you didnt mean it that way, but you've done similar things to me over being unemployed and another poster for having cancer. So no, I dont really believe you.

If I misinterpreted your post, then I apologize. You say that's not what you meant so I'll take your word for it.

I appreciate it. I’ll also apologize if it came across that way to you. That certainly wasn’t the intention. I don’t know you and don’t pretend to. I have no reason to doubt you on your family.

While we may not agree I respect you for saying this. I’m looking forward to the day this forum is more about sports again.

Reactions: BigTomE
I have not seen the number as high as 300,000. My intention is not to downplay the number of deaths, which are already too high. But the reality is that most healthy people, regardless of age, are at very little risk.

I understand. Admittedly I may be a little more rigid about it after knowing people that have got the virus and even passed from it.

I’ll also admit most are going to survive it, which is a relief. I am concerned about the long term effects which are unknown.

I do hope you and your family stay safe. In the end we’re all Americans and we’re all on the same team trying to fight this virus.

I appreciate it. I’ll also apologize if it came across that way to you. That certainly wasn’t the intention. I don’t know you and don’t pretend to. I have no reason to doubt you on your family.

While we may not agree I respect you for saying this. I’m looking forward to the day this forum is more about sports again.

Yeah this forum has gotten a little out of hand recently with so many posters arguing and name calling. The rules aren't really enforced as much on this forum as they are on the insiders forum. Over there posters still debate almost everything but most are respectful of others and never any name calling. I think everyone is more on edge these days so little things turn into big things here. Im also hoping we'll be back to arguing football at the end of September

I just quoted your post, where you actually said it.

Bigtom may believe you didnt mean it that way, but you've done similar things to me over being unemployed and another poster for having cancer. So no, I dont really believe you.

You have had an axe to grind from day one. Not sure what it is. Don’t really care. With you yeah I resented someone unemployed telling someone else to go back to work. It’s called being a hypocrite. Don’t tell someone else to work while you yourself are unemployed. Don’t like it.....well sorry, not sorry.

The person you posted about who was a cancer survivor I never poked fun of. I have seen family members die of cancer. I don’t know who has/hasn’t had cancer on here prior to an interaction. There’s no special label for that. Our interaction was in a thread on education. He then revealed being a cancer survivor. We disagreed but it is what it is.

@BigTomE & I have buried the hatchet as far as I’m concerned. I apologized and he apologized. I may agree with him in the future and I may disagree. It is not personal it’s ideas.

It’s different with you. You’re all up in your feelings. Let go man. Life’s too short.

Yeah this forum has gotten a little out of hand recently with so many posters arguing and name calling. The rules aren't really enforced as much on this forum as they are on the insiders forum. Over there posters still debate almost everything but most are respectful of others and never any name calling. I think everyone is more on edge these days so little things turn into big things here. Im also hoping we'll be back to arguing football at the end of September

I probably should look at insiders forum. You get what you pay for. In the end we are all Gamecocks (except for a few special Taters).

You are right things are more on edge. We need a solution to this pandemic. It’ll solve a lot of the other issues (economy, education, sports, etc....)

You have had an axe to grind from day one. Not sure what it is. Don’t really care. With you yeah I resented someone unemployed telling someone else to go back to work. It’s called being a hypocrite. Don’t tell someone else to work while you yourself are unemployed. Don’t like it.....well sorry, not sorry.

The person you posted about who was a cancer survivor I never poked fun of.

Not sure what it is? You think it's funny I got laid off, that's pretty darn simple to understand. You didn't make fun of it once either, but over and over. But hey, those threads were deleted, so it's time to pretend you never did, right?

As for being a hypocrite, when we were called back to work, I went. Nothing hypocritical about wanting to work and getting laid off. You, on the other hand made fun of that, and now whine that it's not safe for you to do the same, and go back to work. Well, unless you get a bonus to make it more safe.

As for making fun of Givemdaspurs, he sure seemed to think so, and it sure looked that way to me. But again, deleted thread, so it must have never happened.

Not sure what it is? You think it's funny I got laid off, that's pretty darn simple to understand. You didn't make fun of it once either, but over and over. But hey, those threads were deleted, so it's time to pretend you never did, right?

As for being a hypocrite, when we were called back to work, I went. Nothing hypocritical about wanting to work and getting laid off. You, on the other hand made fun of that, and now whine that it's not safe for you to do the same, and go back to work. Well, unless you get a bonus to make it more safe.

As for making fun of Givemdaspurs, he sure seemed to think so, and it sure looked that way to me. But again, deleted thread, so it must have never happened.

Whatever makes you sleep better. If you want to bury the hatchet let me know. If you want to keep trolling, you can. I won’t lose any sleep. I won’t back down. You can get bitter or better. I’ve been on here a while and most of my interactions with posters have been positive.

What kind of work do you do? Any word on when you'll get restarted? My wife is an RN and her entire unit was furloughed for a few weeks. A unit of nurses furloughed during a pandemic! Thank goodness they went back two weeks ago. I've worked all the way through. My only options were to continue working, use ETO until it was all gone (6 weeks), and my company offered an opportunity to "borrow" a week of future ETO. So... no real option but to work. Hopefully you'll get back soon. Its tough not working. My wife was furloughed for 4 weeks

Whatever makes you sleep better. If you want to bury the hatchet let me know.

Yeah, we did that once already, you sounded real contrite and commiserated about how your wife might get that same call any day.

Then about 3 posts later it was back to making jokes about being unemployed. So forgive me for not buying it this time.

As for trolling? People do that to mess with other people on message boards. Like I told you when you started with the jokes, I think the anonymity of message boards doesn't hide character, but reveals it. And I find yours truly lacking. Not as a joke, not as a troll, but in all honesty.

What kind of work do you do? Any word on when you'll get restarted? My wife is an RN and her entire unit was furloughed for a few weeks. A unit of nurses furloughed during a pandemic! Thank goodness they went back two weeks ago. I've worked all the way through. My only options were to continue working, use ETO until it was all gone (6 weeks), and my company offered an opportunity to "borrow" a week of future ETO. So... no real option but to work. Hopefully you'll get back soon. Its tough not working. My wife was furloughed for 4 weeks

Thanks. I'm an Engineer. We worked from home for a bit, then got called back, to varying degrees. Lots of work got cancelled, future jobs and current. So they laid off a few waves, and to my understanding, they may do that again.

Pretty much every opening I've seen is on hold, at least locally where I want to stay. So I'm riding unemployment and my savings and looking for an upturn to get people hiring again.

Yeah, we did that once already, you sounded real contrite and commiserated about how your wife might get that same call any day.

Then about 3 posts later it was back to making jokes about being unemployed. So forgive me for not buying it this time.

As for trolling? People do that to mess with other people on message boards. Like I told you when you started with the jokes, I think the anonymity of message boards doesn't hide character, but reveals it. And I find yours truly lacking. Not as a joke, not as a troll, but in all honesty.

Well opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one. Your opinion and $2 will still get you a paper.

Whatever makes you sleep better. If you want to bury the hatchet let me know. If you want to keep trolling, you can. I won’t lose any sleep. I won’t back down. You can get bitter or better. I’ve been on here a while and most of my interactions with posters have been positive.

Don’t apologize to folks on here.
Lots of folks on here want the worst for you and your family, and don’t forget that- never forget it.
Make your points, don’t back down, stick it hard, and move on to the next topic.

Lots of folks on here want the worst for you and your family, and don’t forget that- never forget it.
Make your points, don’t back down, stick it hard, and move on to the next topic.

Classy post.
Treat people here exactly the way you would treat someone in a face to face conversation. Respect others and they'll respect you. You don't always have to be a dick. Act like an adult

Classy post.
Treat people here exactly the way you would treat someone in a face to face conversation. Respect others and they'll respect you. You don't always have to be a dick. Act like an adult

I never take advice from you. As I said above to another poster..

Well it’s a win win. I took the high road and everyone else can see that. If he doesn’t, everyone can see that too.

I still believe most people are good. We have our differences. There clearly are a few on here so adamant about their beliefs they do want the worst....like the tool threatening my job. Their desire doesn’t really impact bad things happening.

I appreciate your support for public education and fighting those battles on here even when several give you a hard time about it. Much respect!

Reactions: 1982cock
Classy post.

Life is certainly easier with one more ally and one less enemy. I agree I try to stick to the golden rule. Most of the time I pass. I admittedly fail from time to time too. I appreciate that even though we didn’t agree in the thread, we were able to get to a respectful tone. Whether we agree or disagree in the future, I have a ton of respect for you. In the end, a lot of the stuff we disagree about isn’t even in our control.

Life is certainly easier with one more ally and one less enemy. I agree I try to stick to the golden rule. Most of the time I pass. I admittedly fail from time to time too. I appreciate that even though we didn’t agree in the thread, we were able to get to a respectful tone. Whether we agree or disagree in the future, I have a ton of respect for you. In the end, a lot of the stuff we disagree about isn’t even in our control.

Agree. We're all adults expressing our opinions so no one is right/wrong. We're not kids about to square off in the school yard. Posters should drop the machismo bull crap and have a little more respect for each other. In other words, act like an adult and don't be a dick. Its ain't hard to do

Classy. You're such a tough guy and so respectful.

I’m not here to be tough or not
or be respectful or not. Irrelevant. I don’t know anyone on here. I don’t want to know anyone on here.

I like to post my opinion as long as they allow me to That’s it.

Treat people here exactly the way you would treat someone in a face to face conversation.

This place would be much more pleasant if more people followed this rule.

Internet anonymity just makes the worst out of every conversation.

Well it’s a win win. I took the high road and everyone else can see that. If he doesn’t, everyone can see that too.

If you mean me, I haven't seen you take the high road yet. No apology for the classy unemployment jokes, just being told to get over it.

Gaslighting and trolling.(which I'm as guilty of as anyone, and need to do better)
This place would be much more pleasant if more people followed this rule.

Internet anonymity just makes the worst out of every conversation.

There was a movie that came out in 1998 (about the time that Gamecock Central started), called "You've Got Mail", written and directed by Nora Ephron, who died 7 or 8 years ago. In her career, she wrote the classic "When Harry Met Sally" and wrote and directed "Sleepless In Seattle". Anyway, one of the things that made "You've Got Mail" a cult favorite, is that it foreshadowed the Internet would be used to gaslight and troll. The Internet brings out the worst version of yourself, your secret, hateful parts, your arrogance, spite, etc. Or as the lead in the movie referred, critically, to himself, "Hello, it's Mr. Nasty". It's safe behind a keyboard. I am not pointing fingers at anybody, for the simple reason I need to do better.

Take care, guys.

ADVERTISEMENT