ADVERTISEMENT

CDC Director said today that kids should be returning to in-person school. Cites increased depressio

and suicide, increased substance use, including deaths by overdosing, likely child abuse(since most is reported by teachers), low risk of spread, etc. I know there are a lot of dedicated teachers out there, but their resistance as a whole has been appalling. They are supposed to be dedicated to the welfare and educational development of our children, who are falling farther and farther behind, especially low-income kids and minorities. A lot of kids get better nutrition at school apparently also. If the teachers are elderly, have significant health risks, then they should stay at home and do virtual. 99.9 % of the others are not going to be "risking their lives" by returning to school. Has not shown any significant spread in schools in foreign countries that have resumed school. Sorry, but the people risking their lives when they go to work everyday are people like first responders, police, etc. Teachers unions(liberal for the most part) are behind a lot of this - talk about disinformation, they are scaring people when the risk would be minimal. A lot of teachers apparently just don`t want to do their job. I have great respect for those who are willing to take a small chance of catching Covid, which likely wouldn`t cause significant symptoms unless their health is already compromised, Some of them need to visit the Wizard for a little "Courage." And, I work with children and adolescents daily, in person, and the vast majority don`t wear masks. Do I worry about Covid? Not much and I`m 65 yrs. old. The collateral damage being done to our young people outweighs by far, in my opinion, the risk the average person would incur if they return to school.
If you're 65 and you don't worry about Covid, you should have your head examined, especially if you're overweight or have high blood pressure. This ’plan’ isn't going to work because there isn't a plan.

The rest of your post is pure horseshit. Sorry, cops aren't breathing the same air as 30-40 students. Teachers will be. Plus, other countries aren't having the same issues because they actually had a plan and got it under control. We didn't. It'll spread like a wildfire in the schools and kids will it take back home and we'll be back in lockdown.

You people have been wrong about this pandemic every step of the way and you just keep talking, talking, talking. By January, how many people will be dead? 250k?

and suicide, increased substance use, including deaths by overdosing, likely child abuse(since most is reported by teachers), low risk of spread, etc. I know there are a lot of dedicated teachers out there, but their resistance as a whole has been appalling. They are supposed to be dedicated to the welfare and educational development of our children, who are falling farther and farther behind, especially low-income kids and minorities. A lot of kids get better nutrition at school apparently also. If the teachers are elderly, have significant health risks, then they should stay at home and do virtual. 99.9 % of the others are not going to be "risking their lives" by returning to school. Has not shown any significant spread in schools in foreign countries that have resumed school. Sorry, but the people risking their lives when they go to work everyday are people like first responders, police, etc. Teachers unions(liberal for the most part) are behind a lot of this - talk about disinformation, they are scaring people when the risk would be minimal. A lot of teachers apparently just don`t want to do their job. I have great respect for those who are willing to take a small chance of catching Covid, which likely wouldn`t cause significant symptoms unless their health is already compromised, Some of them need to visit the Wizard for a little "Courage." And, I work with children and adolescents daily, in person, and the vast majority don`t wear masks. Do I worry about Covid? Not much and I`m 65 yrs. old. The collateral damage being done to our young people outweighs by far, in my opinion, the risk the average person would incur if they return to school.

Grasshopper, old Chinese saying, “a penguin standing over u with a yardstick will knock any depression
clean out of you!”

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
I have not seen the number as high as 300,000. My intention is not to downplay the number of deaths, which are already too high. But the reality is that most healthy people, regardless of age, are at very little risk.
But that’s exactly the misleading thing about the statistic. “Healthy” is essentially defined as someone with no comorbidity factors. What percentage of US citizens over age 40 is hypertensive? Asthmatic... take them out too. Fact is that a large portion of our country has comorbidity, many folks with congenital conditions. If you’re elderly or have one of those factors, the virus is dangerous, period, and is so whether it kills you or not.

Sorry, cops aren't breathing the same air as 30-40 students. Teachers will be. Plus, other countries aren't having the same issues because they actually had a plan and got it under control. We didn't.

Many professions will see the same numbers of people as teachers though.

And I keep hearing about these great plans from other countries, but has anyone really ever showed the details of what they did differently?

If you're 65 and you don't worry about Covid, you should have your head examined, especially if you're overweight or have high blood pressure. This ’plan’ isn't going to work because there isn't a plan.

The rest of your post is pure horseshit. Sorry, cops aren't breathing the same air as 30-40 students. Teachers will be. Plus, other countries aren't having the same issues because they actually had a plan and got it under control. We didn't. It'll spread like a wildfire in the schools and kids will it take back home and we'll be back in lockdown.

You people have been wrong about this pandemic every step of the way and you just keep talking, talking, talking. By January, how many people will be dead? 250k?
Many professions will see the same numbers of people as teachers though.

And I keep hearing about these great plans from other countries, but has anyone really ever showed the details of what they did differently?
No, it's a complete mystery unless you have Google search level security clearance.

No, it's a complete mystery unless you have Google level security clearance.

So, no details. Okay.

Usually when this is asked, the answer is about how Trump said something at a press briefing. But this works.

I’m not here to be tough or not

or
But that’s exactly the misleading thing about the statistic. “Healthy” is essentially defined as someone with no comorbidity factors. What percentage of US citizens over age 40 is hypertensive? Asthmatic... take them out too. Fact is that a large portion of our country has comorbidity, many folks with congenital conditions. If you’re elderly or have one of those factors, the virus is dangerous, period, and is so whether it kills you or not.

What happened to "listen to the scientist"!!!?? Now the common theme seems to be listen to the scientist, unless they say something we disagree with! Every other essential employee is back at work. Many doctors and scientists, including the head of the CDC, are of the opinion that schools should re-open.

Look at the survival rate broken down by age group. This is straight from the CDC.

https://coronavirusbellcurve.com/

Age % of Total Deaths Survival Rate (All Health Conditions) Survival Rate (Healthy Individuals)
0-44 Years
3% 99.67% 99.96%
45–64 years
18% 97.77% 99.76%
65–74 years
21% 91.33% 99.06%
75+ years
58% 79.16% 97.75

What happened to "listen to the scientist"!!!?? Now the common theme seems to be listen to the scientist, unless they say something we disagree with! Every other essential employee is back at work. Many doctors and scientists, including the head of the CDC, are of the opinion that schools should re-open.

Look at the survival rate broken down by age group. This is straight from the CDC.

Age % of Total Deaths Survival Rate (All Health Conditions) Survival Rate (Healthy Individuals)
0-44 Years
3% 99.67% 99.96%
45–64 years
18% 97.77% 99.76%
65–74 years
21% 91.33% 99.06%
75+ years
58% 79.16% 97.75
Oh cool. Most people live! Sure, 155k died but something, something, something. Plus, what's a little heart damage? You're alive!

Look at Pearl Harbor. How many people died compared to the American population as a whole? Hardly any. And what? Then we had to fight a war? Makes no sense, people.

Oh cool. Most people live! Sure, 155k died but something, something, something. Plus, what's a little heart damage? You're alive!

Look at Pearl Harbor. How many people died compared to the American population as a whole? Hardly any. And what? Then we had to fight a war? Makes no sense, people.

Most people have gone back to work. Ive worked the entire time with zero time off. All other essential employees are back at work.

Why do teachers feel entitled to special treatment?.

Just an FYI before you attempt to lecture me again... my wife is an RN for the largest hospital group in the country. I hear FACTS concerning covid on a daily basis, not opinions based in fear.

Most people have gone back to work. Ive worked the entire time with zero time off. All other essential employees are back at work.

Why do teachers feel entitled to special treatment?.

Just an FYI before you attempt to lecture me again... my wife is an RN for the largest hospital group in the country. I hear FACTS concerning covid on a daily basis, not opinions based in fear.
Mine is a CRNA but I don't pretend it gives me special insight into health care.

And I'm not talking about special treatment. I'm talking about what's best for the country and economy. Packing millions of school children into schools will make a terrible situation much worse. We need a plan. There's no plan.

Reactions: atl-cock

0-44 Years
3% 99.67% 99.96%
45–64 years
18% 97.77% 99.76%
65–74 years
21% 91.33% 99.06%
75+ years
58% 79.16% 97.75
How do you get from what I posted that I’m not heeding what scientists say? I think those statistics are probably entirely accurate, but my point is that you can’t just disregard a very substantial portion of the US population to conclude that the virus isn’t dangerous.

One-third of American adults are hypertensive. Around eight percent of Americans have asthma. Around 15 percent of Americans are over 65. There are several other significant co-morbidities that add to the number of truly vulnerable Americans. The statistics you are citing are omitting the vulnerable populations, which is why it states the survival rates are for “healthy” Americans... OF COURSE it’s less dangerous for those who are less vulnerable.

Reactions: Rollerdude123

0-44 Years
3% 99.67% 99.96%
45–64 years
18% 97.77% 99.76%
65–74 years
21% 91.33% 99.06%
75+ years
58% 79.16% 97.75

well, my wife is listening to her school district and the medical people they assembled to advise them.

That’s why they are offering options and virtual school.

And quoting survivals stats is stupid. I don’t want my wife getting sick and missIng weeks of work or damaging her body for the future. It’s not just about dying.

Grow up.

well, my wife is listening to her school district and the medical people they assembled to advise them.

And quoting survivals stats is stupid. I don’t want my wife getting sick and missIng weeks of work or damaging her body for the future. It’s not just about dying.

Grow up.
I wholeheartedly agree with you. I THINK if I got covid, I could survive it. At least I hope so, anyway. Hope I'm not being foolishly overconfident about it. What concerns me more is a recent study out of Germany that found even those who got mildly sick on coronavirus, for many of them, their heart muscles became damaged as if they had a heart attack. But, it's not only heart damage, other medical studies are referring to lung, kidney and neurological damage, all of which would not enhance one's lifespan nor quality of life.

Reactions: Rollerdude123

Grow up.
I don’t want your wife to get sick either, and staying home may very well ensure that she doesn’t. But missing work for months is not the answer to ensuring she doesn’t miss work for weeks.

Grow up.
To be clear, I was not making light of the death threat from coronavirus in my previous comment. 158,180 Americans have died from coronavirus this year. That is the 3rd highest cause of death in the United States this year, behind only heart disease and cancer.

I don’t want your wife to get sick either, and staying home may very well ensure that she doesn’t. But missing work for months is not the answer to ensuring she doesn’t miss work for weeks.

She isn’t missing work. She is working within the options her employer provides.

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I THINK if I got covid, I could survive it. At least I hope so, anyway. Hope I'm not being foolishly overconfident about it. What concerns me more is a recent study out of Germany that found even those who got mildly sick on coronavirus, for many of them, their heart muscles became damaged as if they had a heart attack. But, it's not only heart damage, other medical studies are referring to lung, kidney and neurological damage, all of which would not enhance one's lifespan nor quality of life.

I'm of the same mind set. I truly believe if I got it I would survive. No health issues, in decent shape etc. Reality is that I guarantee you that many people who died probably had the same mind set as you & me. We generally always seem think I'll be the other guy. Just human nature I guess.

Reactions: gamecock stock
I'm of the same mind set. I truly believe if I got it I would survive. No health issues, in decent shape etc. Reality is that I guarantee you that many people who died probably had the same mind set as you & me. We generally always seem think I'll be the other guy. Just human nature I guess.

A friend mr my wife’s got it back in April and had a mild case. But he used up his vacation for the year and had to take some unpaid leave.

He has asthma and he thinks it made his asthma worse. He’s now worried about missing more work going forward because his asthma will be worse from now on.

it’s not just about survival numbers. Anyone with common sense (which leaves out some in this very thread) knows that.

For the teachers or family members of teachers on the board, what is your solution to....

1- If school is virtual should pay be the same as teachers who actually go into the classroom?

2- What would you propose for HS kids taking vocational classes like welding or electrical work? These are hands on skills and cannot be done virtually. Do these kids who are learning a skill get told no and have to wait until everyone is comfortable?

3- What do lower income and rural schools do that don’t have the money or technology to be virtual?

4- What about the other auxiliary staff that count on the school being physically open to get paid? (Bus drivers, cafeteria, janitorial, maintenance, etc....)

5- What do you say to the single parent who doesn’t have the option of staying home from work to assist or watch their kids virtual learning?

6- What do you say to the special needs kids that have to get speech therapy or other assistance in person?

There are more questions but I will digress after one more. I hear a lot (and believe it to be very true) that there is already a huge lack of respect for authority in the classroom. How do you think this will affect that? Will students eventually come back with a worse attitude towards teachers knowing that they were cowering away from working with them?

Regardless of your attitude or mine on the whole social distancing issue, there are good, hard questions that need to be addressed. And I hope that many school districts, etc. are already doing so,

Reactions: GivEmDaSpurs
I didn't do anything other than post the link to the CDC site which updates weekly. Please look at my post above. I copied and pasted the survival rate of all health conditions and the survival rate of healthy individuals. The site was last updated at 8:10 CST 7/31.
The survival rate for healthy individuals 75+ years of age is 97.75%. These numbers should reinforce that people with underlying conditions should use extreme caution while everyone else is a very little risk.
Shouldn't that have been 8:10 CDT 7/31 since we're on Daylight Saving Time?

Grow up.

Quoting factual numbers is stupid? Youre suggesting we should now ignore facts and act solely on emotion? You have now forfeited your right to ever use the "listen to the scientists" argument ever again.

Look back in the thread. Who took the first shot. I don’t attack any posters first but don’t mind defending myself if it comes to that.

Luckily I’m equipped with the ability to not give a crap what you think. Good for you for getting back at it. If you end up Covid positive in the near future, this may be part of the reason why.

That's not true at all. You are one of the most unpleasant posters talk with.

Reactions: Lurker123
Quoting factual numbers is stupid? Youre suggesting we should now ignore facts and act solely on emotion? You have now forfeited your right to ever use the "listen to the scientists" argument ever again.

Yes, it’s stupid when you think the survival rate is the only statistic that matters in a school or workplace.

it’s like pointing out how the tornado that destroyed 100 homes was No big deal because no one got killed. That is stupid. Congrats, you proved it yet again.

Hey Polo - no I`m in good health. I wonder how many people terrified of Covid are obese, smoke like a chimney and drink to excess, etc. Sure there is risk going back to schools(low). There are risks for the restaurant, grocery store workers, etc. Still small with the precautions and if you`re young and healthy. True risk and courage is exemplified by our astronauts who returned today, knowing at any time during their mission if one little thing went wrong they would be dead.

ADVERTISEMENT