ADVERTISEMENT

CFP picture is Crystal clear

lawcalcock

Apr 8, 2016
The three 12-0 teams are in regardless of this weekend's games. They signaled this by placing Notre Dame 3. If 12-0 gets the Irish in, you can't punish Bama and the Taters for having championship games. If Jawja beats Bama, they're in at 3. Notre Dame would be four. Ohio St and Oklahoma are not getting in unless Georgia loses. Then Oklahoma gets in if they beat Texas.

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
All depends on margin of victory. Let’s say UGA beats Bama in OT and we play down to the competition. I could see 1 UGA, 2 Bama, 3 ND, 4 Clemson. The thinking here is that the CFP has said all year that Bama is clear #1. So if it’s a close OT loss to UGA then in my mind it means UGA is just better than Bama, rather than assuming ND and Clemson are better Bama just because they are undefeated.
If we lose to Pitt there is NO WAY we are in the CFP.

All depends on margin of victory. Let’s say UGA beats Bama in OT and we play down to the competition. I could see 1 UGA, 2 Bama, 3 ND, 4 Clemson. The thinking here is that the CFP has said all year that Bama is clear #1. So if it’s a close OT loss to UGA then in my mind it means UGA is just better than Bama, rather than assuming ND and Clemson are better Bama just because they are undefeated.
Agreed if you lost to Pitt, your def out. Disagree about UGA and Bama. Close game with UGA win puts line up at Clemson, ND, UGA, Bama. If UGA loses, margin is irrelevant, they're out and OSU is in.

Added: If you win and Bama loses, you're 1 worse case 2 but I don't think they reward ND by not playing.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
The three 12-0 teams are in regardless of this weekend's games. They signaled this by placing Notre Dame 3. If 12-0 gets the Irish in, you can't punish Bama and the Taters for having championship games. If Jawja beats Bama, they're in at 3. Notre Dame would be four. Ohio St and Oklahoma are not getting in unless Georgia loses. Then Oklahoma gets in if they beat Texas.
There are 4 Undefeated teams......

Reactions: Cockopotamus
If the Dawgs win a competitive game, it's 1 Clemson, 2 ND, 3 UGA, and 4 Bama.

Reactions: Cockopotamus
College football should clearly be downsized to only about 10-12 teams. If back-to-back undefeated seasons don't get you a sniff of the playoffs, then the entire thing is a sham set up only to allow big donors to pick their favorite schools.
I hear you but they wouldn't have gone undefeated in a Power 5 conference. CFP expansion is probably coming... sooner than later if the Dawgs beat Bama and the Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac 12 are all left out of the CFP.

with 4 slots
1. SEC
2. SEC
3. Independent
4. means one slot left for the 4 other power 5 conferences.

I think this scenario will make a push for an 8 team playoff. Not that it will happen anytime soon, but maybe it will hasten the process and then it will put significant importance on a conference championship game.

But IMO, the loser of the Bama/UGA should be out.

If the Dawgs win a competitive game, it's 1 Clemson, 2 ND, 3 UGA, and 4 Bama.
I agree that’s what committee would do, but I bet Vegas would tell you it’s 1) UGA 2) Bama 3) Clemson (assumes we blowout Pitt) 4) ND.
I trust Vegas to get it right before the CFP committee

with 4 slots
1. SEC
2. SEC
3. Independent

I think this scenario will make a push for an 8 team playoff. Not that it will happen anytime soon, but maybe it will hasten the process and then it will put significant importance on a conference championship game.

Agree with everything but not necessarily your last statement. If the Dawgs beat Bama in a competitive game, is Bama not still a top 4 team given OK and OSU this season? I think it sucks that we would have to beat Bama twice to win a natty, but if they're top 4, it is what it is.
To be clear, I'm not stating we're going to beat Bama... but we do have a shot.

I agree that’s what committee would do, but I bet Vegas would tell you it’s 1) UGA 2) Bama 3) Clemson (assumes we blowout Pitt) 4) ND.
I trust Vegas to get it right before the CFP committee
I just hope we're playing ND soon! :D

That "other" undefeated team also beat the SEC West Champion last season. Ya know, the same SEC West Champ that beat the two teams that played in the National Championship.

UCF is better than the ACC champion...

They beat a Team that is in the ACC championship SOUNDLY... (45-14)
True, but it's a 5 loss team that shows the embarrassing state of most of the ACC. Penn State also SMOKED Pitt 51-6. Similarly, they're hanging their hat on a win over a 4 loss Auburn team last year. I'd probably be pulling for UCF if it wasn't for their bogus national champions proclamation from last year. That 107 SOS is killing them.
Let's see if they can beat Memphis again without Milton. I hate to see an injury to cost a team.
What I'd like to see is UCF get the Gators in a bowl game. Talk about pressure on the alligators :D

That "other" undefeated team also beat the SEC West Champion last season. Ya know, the same SEC West Champ that beat the two teams that played in the National Championship.
Yeah, the same 4 loss team that was worn down by an SEC schedule... therein lies the problem with a 107 strength of schedule.
We also avenged that loss and beat Auburn by 21 on the same neutral field that UCF beat them by 7.
UCF is good, no doubt. Actually they are very good, but they don't have the depth of a top Power 5 program.

Last edited:
If UGA beats Bama in a close game I don’t see them falling all the way to 4. I think they would have it:
1. Clemson
2. UGA
3. Bama
4. Notre Dame

Notre Dame shouldn’t move up after not paying a game.

Agree with everything but not necessarily your last statement. If the Dawgs beat Bama in a competitive game, is Bama not still a top 4 team given OK and OSU this season? I think it sucks that we would have to beat Bama twice to win a natty, but if they're top 4, it is what it is.
To be clear, I'm not stating we're going to beat Bama... but we do have a shot.

If UGA beats Bama, then that should be it. Bama shouldn't get a do over. If they still take the loser it completely diminished the value of the conference championship games, which is really part of the playoff. If y lose the championship game or don't go, you should be out. I don't think Bama should have gone last year or OSU in 2016 because neither won their conference. And I really think they should leave out ND to force them to join a conference, yet they reward them for taking a week off.

Yeah, the same 4 loss team that was worn down by an SEC schedule... therein lies the problem with a 107 strength of schedule.
If UGA beats Bama in a close game I don’t see them falling all the way to 4. I think they would have it:
1. Clemson
2. UGA
3. Bama
4. Notre Dame

Notre Dame shouldn’t move up after not paying a game.
UGA wouldn't be punished for beating Bama and winning the SEC by having to turn around and play Bama again the next game IMO.

Reactions: funktavious
If UGA beats Bama, then that should be it. Bama shouldn't get a do over. If they still take the loser it completely diminished the value of the conference championship games, which is really part of the playoff. If y lose the championship game or don't go, you should be out. I don't think Bama should have gone last year or OSU in 2016 because neither won their conference. And I really think they should leave out ND to force them to join a conference, yet they reward them for taking a week off.
IMO conference affiliation should not matter.... Take the best 4 teams....

This is as clear as mud....

You may be right but this punishes a conference that may have the best teams.

We also avenged that loss and beat Auburn by 21 on the same neutral field that UCF beat them by 7.
UCF is good, no doubt. Actually they are very good, but they don't have the depth of a top Power 5 program.
or do they? That is the problem with the current system...we will never know because they don't get the chance. They beat AUB last year, who is to say they can't compete this year.

You may be right but this punishes a conference that may have the best teams.
not if you consider the conference championships as part of the playoff.

5 conference championships = a 10 team playoff.
5 winners compete for 4 spots (which is the real problem). If Bama and UGA play in the playoff, is the loser still a top 4 team? yes. Should they get a second chance? no

Reactions: FJRTiger
not if you consider the conference championships as part of the playoff.

5 conference championships = a 10 team playoff.
5 winners compete for 4 spots (which is the real problem). If Bama and UGA play in the playoff, is the loser still a top 4 team? yes. Should they get a second chance? no
The problem with this is that all conferences are not equal and it punishes better conferences like the current SEC. Not only does it punish better conferences, it punishes better teams. Should a 1 loss team not be able to make the CFP while a 2 or 3 loss conference champion goes? No. Should the 2nd or 3rd best team in the country be kept out of the CFP just because the best team is in the same conference? No. Just my opinion of course.
I love college football!

Reactions: BigTomE
Until they go to 8 teams these conference champ. games are irrelevant. You could feasibly have 4 conference champions not making the playoffs. Very simple...8 teams, the power 5 Conference champions gets an automatic bid plus 3 WC selections. End of story

Bama shouldn't have gone, even though they proved they were the best team in the country.

tenor.gif

The purpose of the playoff is to determine the best team in the country. Period. It's not about muh feelz were hurt because Conference A and Conference B didn't get in.

With Kerrion Johnson injured and coming off a throttling to Georgia. UCF was bogus then as a playoff team, and is more so now.

with 4 slots
1. SEC
2. SEC
3. Independent

I agree with you about the loser being out. Why even play the game if both are in already? Last season NC didn’t win their conference title... stupid process.

They are the clear #1 until they get beat. They also said the Alabama and Clemson had separated themselves so I doubt anyone jumps Clemson. If Georgia wins it will either be 1 Clemson 2 ND 3 Georgia and 4 (alabama, Oklahoma, ohio state)

That’s it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT