ADVERTISEMENT

CFP picture is Crystal clear

What I don’t understand is that if Georgia beats Alabama, how are they sill separated from everyone else. Doesn’t that tear down the pedestal they are on somewhat.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
So we all know anybody can lose on a given day . If you think Bama looses to the Dogs their not one of the best 4 teams in the country , you are insane . It’s about the best 4 the top 3 imo is Bama even if they lose , Clemson , Georgia with possibly 2 loses , the 4 is a toss up . Notre Dame isn’t in a conference so they can make their own schedule to pave their way , Ohio St is up and down with their play and Oklahoma has no defense. I don’t think there is a clear answer til they expand the playoff so you have more than a semifinal and a championship.

I think expanding to 6 teams is the best alternative. Expanding to 8 only adds 4 more teams under the same structure. Under the current structure there is no difference between the #1 team and the #4 team. There is no real benefit to being ranked as #1. With 6 teams you could give #1 and #2 a bye the first game with #4 & #5 playing and #3 & #6 playing with the game played on the higher ranked team's home field. That way there is a benefit to being ranked #1 & #2 and #3 & #4 have a benefit of a home playoff game.
If that were in place now, it would give a real possibility for Central Fla, Oklahoma, and Ohio State to make it in if they win and if either Clemsux or UGA loses. Two of them would make it in anyway if Clemsux and UGA win.
This would also cut down on the bracket bias that could exist with an 8 team playoff. As we have seen in other playoffs, particularly the College World Series sometimes you end up with 3 of the best teams in the same bracket when only one has a shot at the final, and the teams in the other bracket have an easier road to the final playoff game.

Last edited:
You cant sit there and tell me right now, that Bama and Georgia are not 2 of the four best teams in the Country... Would Ga beat ND, Absolutely, Would bama beat Taters, Absolutely..
Teams often perform at a different level in bowl and playoff games -- there have been upsets in these games before. It's not at all as predictable an outcome as you make it.

Teams often perform at a different level in bowl and playoff games -- there have been upsets in these games before. It's not at all as predictable an outcome as you make it.
I know that UPSETS happen, But IMO, Georgia and Alabama are 2 of the 4 best teams in the Country.. If the "Committee" were to pick Right now, No way they can say that isnt the case... Now having said that, Unfortunately for them, they dont get to play a Pitt, a Utah or a Northwestern, they have to play one of the four best teams in the Country in their conference Championship.... That is WHY a 1 loss BAMA gets IN!! 2 losses, i understand leaving UGA out of it..

You cant sit there and tell me right now, that Bama and Georgia are not 2 of the four best teams in the Country... Would Ga beat ND, Absolutely, Would bama beat Taters, Absolutely..

Would Georgia beat Oklahoma? You would have to play that one to know. Here’s what I do know, A two loss Georgia does not belong in the playoffs and it won’t get in for that reason.

I think you gotta go to 6 team playoff with a bye. 5 conference champs (if you're not the best in your conference, you can't be the best in the nation) and an also ran wild card to allow your non-power 5 or Notre Dame to get in.

I think you gotta go to 6 team playoff with a bye. 5 conference champs (if you're not the best in your conference, you can't be the best in the nation) and an also ran wild card to allow your non-power 5 or Notre Dame to get in.
8 is better, Although like 64, #9 and #10 are gonna bitch..
That way champ only has to play 3 games.. (First game being a Bowl game) takes you into mid January..

You could but you don't necessarily have to, especially a team with no previous losses who suffers a close loss to a good opponent. However, as big an SEC fan as I am, I would prefer to see Bama win on Saturday. Much cleaner that way.
:eek::eek::eek::confused::(

Until they go to 8 teams these conference champ. games are irrelevant. You could feasibly have 4 conference champions not making the playoffs. Very simple...8 teams, the power 5 Conference champions gets an automatic bid plus 3 WC selections. End of story
Simpler still: best four teams, chosen by a panel of experts after observing a full season of play. You're going to get at least the best two in there someplace. As long as you do that, there will be no injustice.

Reactions: funktavious
Simpler still: best four teams, chosen by a panel of experts after observing a full season of play. You're going to get at least the best two in there someplace. As long as you do that, there will be no injustice.

Save me from panels of experts. A lot of what is wrong with the world is the result of panels of experts.

In this case, the mayhem is the fun. Mess with it and you might as well hack up the Mona Lisa.

I have a feeling it is inevitable that some good teams will be left out this year, thus the Mona Lisa will get hacked more than a little bit. My team has three losses so I just want a nice bowl game and bowl opponent. This is the sort of year that makes an 8 team playoff inevitable.

I have a feeling it is inevitable that some good teams will be left out this year, thus the Mona Lisa will get hacked more than a little bit. My team has three losses so I just want a nice bowl game and bowl opponent. This is the sort of year that makes an 8 team playoff inevitable.
Georgia beating Bama and the Big 12, Big Ten and Pac 12 missing out will be the trigger for change. I'm also pulling for your Longhorns and Northwestern.
The chaos of CFB is awesome.

Good teams get left out every year. But the best teams get in, and that's all you need. The fact that we're all arguing about it makes it great.

Good teams get left out every year. But the best teams get in, and that's all you need. The fact that we're all arguing about it makes it great.

The question is are the best teams really getting in. If one loss major conference champions are left out and runnerups from other conferences who just lost a big game get in, quite a few will doubt your premise.

Everyone else is great until they lose. So if Alabama loses they should be viewed the same way. I’m sorry a one loss Alabama team is not seperated from the rest of the field. That makes them normal. That effects the eye test but people who will try to turn a blind eye because they blew marginal teams out. Then they want to burn ND for the same reason.

The 4 team playoff is a problem from the get-go...since you have 5 power conferences you are already leaving someone out. One of these days you will have either 5 undefeated teams or worse have 6 or 7 one lose teams

Reactions: bayrooster
If UGA beats Bama, then that should be it. Bama shouldn't get a do over. If they still take the loser it completely diminished the value of the conference championship games, which is really part of the playoff. If y lose the championship game or don't go, you should be out. I don't think Bama should have gone last year or OSU in 2016 because neither won their conference. And I really think they should leave out ND to force them to join a conference, yet they reward them for taking a week off.
It has nothing to do with conference championship games, nothing at all. It's about taking the 4 best teams in college football and putting them up against each other. There is no way you can tell me that a 1 loss OSU or OK are better than a 1 loss Bama. Bama would have to lose badly to be out of the playoffs. OSU lost to Purdue by 20. That should be all it takes to drop them under other 1 loss teams.

Everyone else is great until they lose. So if Alabama loses they should be viewed the same way. I’m sorry a one loss Alabama team is not seperated from the rest of the field. That makes them normal. That effects the eye test but people who will try to turn a blind eye because they blew marginal teams out. Then they want to burn ND for the same reason.
How are the teams of the SEC-W marginal? They blew out everyone they played and that includes some really good football teams. Ohio State on the other hand got blown out by PURDUE!!! If Alabama loses to UGA they lost to a much better team than Ohio State did. Oklahoma, you could argue, also lost to a good team. However, Oklahoma has shown that they have a defense nearly as bad as ours. Honestly, I think a 2 loss UGA is the 2nd best team in the nation but if they get that 2nd loss they won't get in.

Reactions: cockofdawn
The question is are the best teams really getting in. If one loss major conference champions are left out and runnerups from other conferences who just lost a big game get in, quite a few will doubt your premise.
But they would be wrong. As long as a yearsy best team comes out on top, it settles all debate. The playoff has delivered every time.
The 4 team playoff is a problem from the get-go...since you have 5 power conferences you are already leaving someone out. One of these days you will have either 5 undefeated teams or worse have 6 or 7 one lose teams
It's every team's job to work.their asses off to get in the top four. No conference is guaranteed anything, which is as it should be. This ain't about equity.

A two loss Georgia the second best team? SEC homer much? We are talking about the same Georgia team that got beat by LSU that got beat by Texas am. No way a two loss Georgia team is the second best team in the country. What about them tells you that. I wouldn’t even put them in the top 4. They would have thier hands full with Oklahoma. Oklahoma defense is bad but not near as bad as everyone else thinks it is. The conference they play is equivalent to the SEC in defense. They are a offense strong conference. Look back they still put up 30-40 points a game against SEC caliber defenses. It’s a different style of play.

All of this makes it extremely obvious that the SEC is the "freak" conference that is often going to make the whole 4 team playoff thing difficult many years. That is because the two SEC teams that play for the SEC Championship are usually going to be ranked near the top.

But they would be wrong. As long as a yearsy best team comes out on top, it settles all debate. The playoff has delivered every time.

It's every team's job to work.their asses off to get in the top four. No conference is guaranteed anything, which is as it should be. This ain't about equity.
Still not ideal with a popularity contest being the driving force behind who gets into the 4 team "playoff".

with 4 slots
1. SEC
2. SEC
3. Independent
4. means one slot left for the 4 other power 5 conferences.

I think this scenario will make a push for an 8 team playoff. Not that it will happen anytime soon, but maybe it will hasten the process and then it will put significant importance on a conference championship game.

But IMO, the loser of the Bama/UGA should be out.

So then you must agree that if the taters lose then they're out?

A two loss Georgia the second best team? SEC homer much? We are talking about the same Georgia team that got beat by LSU that got beat by Texas am. No way a two loss Georgia team is the second best team in the country. What about them tells you that. I wouldn’t even put them in the top 4. They would have thier hands full with Oklahoma. Oklahoma defense is bad but not near as bad as everyone else thinks it is. The conference they play is equivalent to the SEC in defense. They are a offense strong conference. Look back they still put up 30-40 points a game against SEC caliber defenses. It’s a different style of play.
At the moment they only have 1 loss to a very good LSU team. Ohio State lost to Purdue by 20. How are they better than UGA? UGA has all the tools on offense and defense to be one of the best teams in the country. They don't have obvious weaknesses like Clemson(secondary) OSU and Oklahoma(bad defenses all the way around).

At the moment they only have 1 loss to a very good LSU team. Ohio State lost to Purdue by 20. How are they better than UGA? UGA has all the tools on offense and defense to be one of the best teams in the country. They don't have obvious weaknesses like Clemson(secondary) OSU and Oklahoma(bad defenses all the way around).
UGA is in if they win today, out if they don't, so that's that.

Reactions: funktavious
UGA is in if they win today, out if they don't, so that's that.
I agree. They did that to themselves by losing to LSU. I was just saying that I think they are better than 3 of the other teams in the rankings. I don't pretend to know enough about Notre Dame to say how good or how bad they are. It would have been much different if UGA and Bama were going into the SEC-CG both undefeated. The game would be moot since both teams would end up going to the playoffs anyway. I still feel like Bama and UGA are the 2 best teams in the country this year.

I agree. They did that to themselves by losing to LSU. I was just saying that I think they are better than 3 of the other teams in the rankings. I don't pretend to know enough about Notre Dame to say how good or how bad they are. It would have been much different if UGA and Bama were going into the SEC-CG both undefeated. The game would be moot since both teams would end up going to the playoffs anyway. I still feel like Bama and UGA are the 2 best teams in the country this year.
The loss at LSU was a bad loss - especially looking at some of LSU's losses. Georgia is lucky to be in a position to make the CFP with a win today - but they are.

The loss at LSU was a bad loss - especially looking at some of LSU's losses. Georgia is lucky to be in a position to make the CFP with a win today - but they are.
LSU didn't have any bad losses. They lost to Bama, UF, and Texas A&M in overtime. The LSU-UGA game was a head scratcher. Fromm had a horrible game and LSU managed to limit UGA's ability to run the football. LSU from a talent standpoint has always had top-10 potential but for whatever reason, they've never seemed to be able to develop a QB. Orgeron has done more with the team than I thought he could after his previous experience at Ole Miss. Maybe he is their Muschamp, a guy who learned from his mistakes and still a good HC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT