ADVERTISEMENT

Chance of hosting a regional in baseball

uscusc1987

May 30, 2008
7 SEC teams out of the 16 available sites would be needed for us to host.
SEC locks to host:
Vanderbilt, Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Mississippi. So that's 6 sites.
We are currently 12 in the RPI after today. Most likely we are competing against the following 4 teams for the last 2 hosting sites.
Miami, Indiana State, Charlotte, Oklahoma State.

Last edited:
Had we won the series against MSU and one won against Ole Miss, we probably get one of the 16 regional spots. Now, we’re likely a 2 seed somewhere else.

Reactions: bflogger28
No way the SEC gets 7 regionals. Not completely sure we get 6, but no way we get 7.

No way the SEC gets 7 regionals. Not completely sure we get 6, but no way we get 7.
Why not? Best conference in the country by far with basically no argument from anyone. I don’t think it’s that far fetched for the SEC to get 7. No doubt we’re on a little downward slide right now, but I think it could happen, especially with the RPI at 12.

Reactions: uscedge21
We are 6-9 against teams ranked in the top 10 as of today. This includes playing the no 1, no 2 and no 3 team. Over half our losses are to top 10 teams. 6 losses against the top 3 teams. We still play no 5 Tennessee 3 times. This schedule was absolutely brutal.

We are 6-9 against teams ranked in the top 10 as of today. This includes playing the no 1, no 2 and no 3 team. Over half our losses are to top 10 teams. 6 losses against the top 3 teams. We still play no 5 Tennessee 3 times. This schedule was absolutely brutal.
i remember the good ole days, when everyone thought Playing South Carolina was considered BRUTAL..

I'd rather not host than to host and get beat at our own field. Obviously our hitting strategy won't be changing this year, nor will the coaches be able to fix this at this point. Let's go be a 2 or 3 somewhere else and we might get lucky somehow.

See, things have reached the point where we've dropped to the "settling" mode.
If that's the case Ray.Tanner accepted "settling" for many years en route to winning back to back titles. To bad you abandoned those teams at the first sign of settling, and forfeited any right to celebrate those titles, right?

Reactions: rogue cock
If that's the case Ray.Tanner accepted "settling" for many years en route to winning back to back titles. To bad you abandoned those teams at the first sign of settling, and forfeited any right to celebrate those titles, right?
WTH does that mean?

See, things have reached the point where we've dropped to the "settling" mode.

Even a #2 seed may not happen. We still have two SEC series left. Kentucky has basically the same record as us and we play there and three games against top 5 Tennessee. This team could easily end up losing 22-24 games and will likely have a losing conference record.

Reactions: king ward
WTH does that mean?
It means that Ray had been head coach here for 4 years before he made it past the regional round, therefore "settling" according to the standards you set above. And since you don't accept such "settling", I can only imagine you jumped ship on Ray as well.

Even a #2 seed may not happen. We still have two SEC series left. Kentucky has basically the same record as us and we play there and three games against top 5 Tennessee. This team could easily end up losing 22-24 games and will likely have a losing conference record.
Do we make the conference tournament and could it do us any good?

It means that Ray had been head coach here for 4 years before he made it past the regional round, therefore "settling" according to the standards you set above. And since you don't accept such "settling", I can only imagine you jumped ship on Ray as well.
Ray also didn't have the history of a back-to-back national title winning program to oversee. One would think that history should raise our collective expectations to not be a mediocre program in our own conference......that we used to dominate.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Ray also didn't have the history of a back-to-back national title winning program to oversee. One would think that history should raise our collective expectations to not be a mediocre program in our own conference......that we used to dominate.
You dont getv to reprint your CWS titles and have them reissued to you every year after per infinity. You have to start each year from scratch and re qualify to play for another, just like every other team in the country. We dont get to reuse a single hit, strikeout or double play from 2010 here in 2021. In order to qualify for Omaha this year, we have to start at the regional level, and that's all we can accomplish this week with the selection comittee.

You dont getv to reprint your CWS titles and have them reissued to you every year after per infinity. You have to start each year from scratch and re qualify to play for another, just like every other team in the country. We dont get to reuse a single hit, strikeout or double play from 2010 here in 2021. In order to qualify for Omaha this year, we have to start at the regional level, and that's all we can accomplish this week with the selection comittee.

I am not sure what this even means. My point was, after you have the success of the Tanner years (back-to-back titles, sustained success at a high level, etc) moving forward it should be easier to use that as a sale to continue to recruit the right players to continue the success. Coming out of the Tanner years we were clearly one of the premier programs in the entire nation. Over the Holbrook experience and so far in the Kingston years we have fallen into mediocrity.

I always thought we didn't put anything into winning that tournament. I hated to see it come around.
I agree. It was kinda head scratching. And unfortunate that during that amazing run we dont have many SEC tourney titles to show for it. Crazy to remember how good some of those teams were and still Tanner only won 1 SEC tourney title.

I am not sure what this even means. My point was, after you have the success of the Tanner years (back-to-back titles, sustained success at a high level, etc) moving forward it should be easier to use that as a sale to continue to recruit the right players to continue the success. Coming out of the Tanner years we were clearly one of the premier programs in the entire nation. Over the Holbrook experience and so far in the Kingston years we have fallen into mediocrity.
Too long ago for it to be much of a recruiting tool today. Holbrook messed that up. Besides recruiting doesn't seem to be a problem if you are looking at the rankings. This team started of pretty darned well....even hitting....but they seem to have lost something these past few weeks.

I always thought we didn't put anything into winning that tournament. I hated to see it come around.
I sometimes thought Ray placed more value on the national tourney, and saved his pitching for the.regional round.
Ifvwhat you say is true, UGA should have been contending for Omaha every year since they won in Omaha in 1990. However........

No but you parlay that success into a standard that means you are competing every year. See Alabama and Clemson in football, different players but same results. We shit the bed as we normally do of setting a foundation where we SHOULD have been a consistent top ten program in college baseball. How many young kids saw us compete for 3 straight titles and win 2, and yet here we are now.

No but you parlay that success into a standard that means you are competing every year. See Alabama and Clemson in football, different players but same results. We shit the bed as we normally do of setting a foundation where we SHOULD have been a consistent top ten program in college baseball. How many young kids saw us compete for 3 straight titles and win 2, and yet here we are now.
OK...people need to stop with comparing staying on top in football and thinking that it's that easy in college baseball. It's not. Not even close. If it were the way it is in football, then SoCal, Texas, and LSU would be the elite and then there would be everyone else who might break through in random years. (We would be in the "everyone else" category.)

Reactions: rogue cock
Even Alabama hasn't been able to carry that success from one coach to another in football. A new coach can not ride the coattails of a previous coach.

Besides recruiting didn't fall off during Holbrooks first couple of years as far as rankings go. Any coach coming in after that was going to have to start completely over.

Reactions: USCBatgirl21
7 SEC teams out of the 16 available sites would be needed for us to host.
SEC locks to host:
Vanderbilt, Florida, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi State, Mississippi. So that's 6 sites.
We are currently 12 in the RPI after today. Most likely we are competing against the following 4 teams for the last 2 hosting sites.
Miami, Indiana State, Charlotte, Oklahoma State.
Just sweep Kentucky and take 2 out of3 from Tennessee, and we host. Its in the team's hands to make their destiny !

Reactions: searooster
Just sweep Kentucky and take 2 out of3 from Tennessee, and we host. Its in the team's hands to make their destiny !
i say they cant lose another game in order of having ANY SHOT to host.. Hard to win one, much less 7 when striking out 8 to 10 times a game. But this is a moot point, i dont see them winning the Tennessee series nor sweeping UK..

i say they cant lose another game in order of having ANY SHOT to host.. Hard to win one, much less 7 when striking out 8 to 10 times a game. But this is a moot point, i dont see them winning the Tennessee series nor sweeping UK..
I don't think last night hurt as much as some would like to think (on the road, rivalry game - selection committee recognizes those aspects of the game), but we absolutely must beat App next Tuesday.

After the Ole Miss sweep, we needed to go at least at least 1 game over in the last 3 SEC weekends to remain a host. I absolutely HATE going to UK. But I'm glad we have UT at home. I'd like it more if we were allowed to generate a home field advantage, but that's another discussion.

I don't think last night hurt as much as some would like to think (on the road, rivalry game - selection committee recognizes those aspects of the game), but we absolutely must beat App next Tuesday.

After the Ole Miss sweep, we needed to go at least at least 1 game over in the last 3 SEC weekends to remain a host. I absolutely HATE going to UK. But I'm glad we have UT at home. I'd like it more if we were allowed to generate a home field advantage, but that's another discussion.
I still say a loss to UK and UT will end hopes for a hosting site, they need to sweep, and not let another 'midweek starter" for App st beat them.. IMO the biggest issue is how "uncompetitive" they have been in most of their recent losses. they have what, been outscored like 47-16 in there last 7 losses, prior to last nights loss??

There's a reason why we are one of only 3 programs nationally to hold repeat CWS titles in the current century . The standard you describe above is obviously unrealistic for any program, not just us. We've done about as well as anyone to sustain success. By your standards, Oregon State, who is one of the other 2 programs with multiple titles sonce.2000, is.a failure by the standards you seem to require.

Agree with the above. it's not the losses lately, it's the fact that we weren't even close in most of them. it's not like we make a small tweak and we turn this thing around. We're not hitting, so not scoring, and it's team wide, not just a single person.

OK...people need to stop with comparing staying on top in football and thinking that it's that easy in college baseball. It's not. Not even close. If it were the way it is in football, then SoCal, Texas, and LSU would be the elite and then there would be everyone else who might break through in random years. (We would be in the "everyone else" category.)
Vandy, Florida and Arkansas say hello, no one expects Omaha every year but once you become a premier program for 3-4 straight years, it's obvious we have suffered a precipitous fall compared to those other programs who were battling against us during those years.

I sometimes thought Ray placed more value on the national tourney, and saved his pitching for the.regional round.
Ifvwhat you say is true, UGA should have been contending for Omaha every year since they won in Omaha in 1990. However........

Our titles aren't 30 years old. Today's recruits were actually alive when we won ours.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT