ADVERTISEMENT

Chance of hosting a regional in baseball

I'd rather not host than to host and get beat at our own field. Obviously our hitting strategy won't be changing this year, nor will the coaches be able to fix this at this point. Let's go be a 2 or 3 somewhere else and we might get lucky somehow.
Kingston approach has been the same since he's been here. If his guys don't hit a HR, they don't score. They have to lead the K category most years. Batting average is the bottom and he keeps inserting the guys that don't hit.

Reactions: bflogger28
Kingston approach has been the same since he's been here. If his guys don't hit a HR, they don't score. They have to lead the K category most years. Batting average is the bottom and he keeps inserting the guys that don't hit.
No. He put his old long term hitting coach, Mike Current, into the position of Director of Player Development and Recruiting. He moved Stuart Lake from that position to on field coach to change the hitting approach.

And the approach was much different the first half of the season than it has been the last third/quarter of the season.

There is zero chance of hosting a regional. It’s not happening. RPI is the only thing we can point for even hope.

If we get in a good regional (like ECU) we have a shot to advance but this team hasn’t been nearly as good away from home. In fact we have been very average on the road. That won’t cut it in the tournament.

Reactions: bflogger28
There is zero chance of hosting a regional. It’s not happening. RPI is the only thing we can point for even hope.

If we get in a good regional (like ECU) we have a shot to advance but this team hasn’t been nearly as good away from home. In fact we have been very average on the road. That won’t cut it in the tournament.
I hate to agree, but host or not, i see a Quick Exit from the tourney from this team.

Reactions: Gamecockben1979
No. He put his old long term hitting coach, Mike Current, into the position of Director of Player Development and Recruiting. He moved Stuart Lake from that position to on field coach to change the hitting approach.

And the approach was much different the first half of the season than it has been the last third/quarter of the season.
The change in approach can be equally shared with player and coach IMO. Kind of relate it to my golf swing versus what an instructor teaches me.

Reactions: rogue cock
The change in approach can be equally shared with player and coach IMO. Kind of relate it to my golf swing versus what an instructor teaches me.
I agree. And when things don't seem to be working with the new swing, you have a tendency to go back to the old one fast.

I agree. And when things don't seem to be working with the new swing, you have a tendency to go back to the old one fast.
Smalls did that with his golf swing. He started adjusting his swing to gain more distance, but was losing accuracy. Talked to his coach, and he went back to his old swing because accuracy is more important.

Smalls did that with his golf swing. He started adjusting his swing to gain more distance, but was losing accuracy. Talked to his coach, and he went back to his old swing because accuracy is more important.
I've had golf instructors try to change mine. I still tend to use a part of my baseball swing by dropping my right shoulder a bit. Worked great in baseball for me....in golf, it is a disaster. I have to think about it with every swing to correct it and that's not good for your overall swing. It's simply a bad habit that I will never break.

High school and college coaches usually steer clear of major swing changes. Ive known great coaches of both that will openly admit it. They work with what they have for the most part and tweak when they can. That said, summer leagues, travelball, the minors and such will completely tear down a swing if they have to because they are paid to develop. In the long run, college is more about winning and less about development. There are very few exceptions.
These guys were fine when they got here probably because of the work they did in the offseason. Something tells me they will be fine when they get back next year. We have to have a coach that knows how to maintain a swing and keep it working. When we dont, our guys end up waisting their offseason... and that's a damn shame.

High school and college coaches usually steer clear of major swing changes. Ive known great coaches of both that will openly admit it. They work with what they have for the most part and tweak when they can. That said, summer leagues, travelball, the minors and such will completely tear down a swing if they have to because they are paid to develop. In the long run, college is more about winning and less about development. There are very few exceptions.
These guys were fine when they got here probably because of the work they did in the offseason. Something tells me they will be fine when they get back next year. We have to have a coach that knows how to maintain a swing and keep it working. When we dont, our guys end up waisting their offseason... and that's a damn shame.
Good read. Potentially a player gets good instruction, but upon return our instructors are not teaching same philosophy? There is contact I would assume between these instructors?

Good read. Potentially a player gets good instruction, but upon return our instructors are not teaching same philosophy? There is contact I would assume between these instructors?
Good questions. I wonder that myself. Hard to tell we have settled on a philosophy if our hitting coaches change or a coach changes his mind on what he wants. Could be confusing.

As for a player's outside coaches communicating with his college coaches, I think contact is usually initiated from the outside coach with mixed results. Coaches can be hard headed or receptive. Tough call on that as well. Still tho, the school has to know what they want themselves before they can all get on the same page.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT