ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Gillipie reporting that Roper is canned...

He's also a High School coach and is going to retire in about three years. Chris is older than folks think. I think he will coach one season in the new stadium and hang it up.

My brother played football with Chris at Wade Hampton. They both graduated as seniors in 1976. Chris should be 59 or 60 years old.

Reactions: Cock-Vader
If true, maybe the announcement or confirmation is being held until some of these head coaching positions are filled at other schools, to increase Roper's opportunity to find another job.

Bryan McClendon, currently Co-Offensive Coord.
I was being ironic

My point is- why is Rooer getting all the heat? He isn’t even the only OC!? Mclendon has been here two years as well, and I havent seen him pull any rabbits out the hat... Why would he be any better than Roper?

I was being ironic

My point is- why is Rooer getting all the heat? He isn’t even the only OC!? Mclendon has been here two years as well, and I havent seen him pull any rabbits out the hat... Why would he be any better than Roper?
Oh, I have no clue if he would be any better, I was just telling you who the poster was reffering to. The only thing I can tell you about McClendon, off the top of my head, is that he is 1-0 as a head coach.

Reactions: Gamecock Lifer
You're all mostly right and I am big enough to admit it. I wanted to give ol' Roper the benefit of the doubt because the cupboard was thin early and got more bare as the season progressed. But if a defensive minded coach like BOOM! knows it's time, then it's time. I appreciate BOOM! doing what has to be done. He had a good season, but recognizes how little we progressed on offense.
(If it's true)

You're all mostly right and I am big enough to admit it. I wanted to give ol' Roper the benefit of the doubt because the cupboard was thin early and got more bare as the season progressed. But if a defensive minded coach like BOOM! knows it's time, then it's time. I appreciate BOOM! doing what has to be done. He had a good season, but recognizes how little we progressed on offense.
(If it's true)
All due respect, I want to actually see him do it. I ain't actually seen it yet. Has to come out today if there is anything to it.

Oh, I have no clue if he would be any better, I was just telling you who the poster was reffering to. The only thing I can tell you about McClendon, off the top of my head, is that he is 1-0 as a head coach.
I gotcha man- i was directing that question at those who imply he would be the choice... I hope not!

Bobby Bentley is gonna be a great offensive mind in the college game, might not be here but I put money on it happening!

I️ think so too, but he doesn’t need to be OC as long as Jake is playing here. If Boom stays, his time will come soon enough. If Roper is out, he will likely go somewhere else, and light it up next year. The MO OC would be high on my list. I️ like the idea of having an OC who actually played QB at a high level.

I️ think so too, but he doesn’t need to be OC as long as Jake is playing here. If Boom stays, his time will come soon enough. If Roper is out, he will likely go somewhere else, and light it up next year. The MO OC would be high on my list. I️ like the idea of having an OC who actually played QB at a high level.
Yeah BB's too close to the QB to be the OC. I think he's done a good job with the RBs this season. I wonder how much of a hand he's had in play calling. Fathers usually can't be objective regarding their children.

Reactions: jbouton
I was being ironic

McClendon having the co-OC title was just a way to give him a resume title & pay bump to lure him here. He's as much of an OC as I am.

Yea coming from the guy who said we should hire Chris Miller. Who was the defensive coordinator under Bentley at Byrnes. You must be a Spartanburg Vikings fan, because you are talking nonsense and I know y'all hate Bentley! This is not about the Byrnes vs Spartanburg rivalry this is about Gamecock 'football' leave your personal crap out of this! :(
No, definitely not a SHS fan, though Byrnes was our main rival back in the 70s. My opinion of Bentley has nothing to do with that. He is not highly regarded by many of his fellow HS coaches, even those that coached with him. Also, his success on the field came as much, if not more, from the fact that he got all the pre-HS programs in Duncan that funnel players to BHS to run his system so that the players completely knew it when they stepped foot on campus, than it did from any brilliant system or play-calling. That knowledge and routine is a huge advantage...one that you can not replicate on the college level.

Reactions: Brace1
I was being ironic

Because Mclendon might have the title of co-OC but everyone knows it's Roper and that little dweeby looking kid in the neon hat running our pathetic offense.

Reactions: gamecock ed
No, definitely not a SHS fan, though Byrnes was our main rival back in the 70s. My opinion of Bentley has nothing to do with that. He is not highly regarded by many of his fellow HS coaches, even those that coached with him. Also, his success on the field came as much, if not more, from the fact that he got all the pre-HS programs in Duncan that funnel players to BHS to run his system so that the players completely knew it when they stepped foot on campus, than it did from any brilliant system or play-calling. That knowledge and routine is a huge advantage...one that you can not replicate on the college level.
In every successful high school football program, there is a network of feeder schools running the high school's offense. It's done everywhere.

Because Mclendon might have the title of co-OC but everyone knows it's Roper and that little dweeby looking kid in the neon hat running our pathetic offense.
So, what people want is to replace Roper with the guy who wasn’t good enough to beat him out of the job in two years despite holding an identical position title?

OK, got it. Brandon Mcllwain probaby makes more sense than Mclendon.

So, what people want is to replace Roper with the guy who wasn’t good enough to beat him out of the job in two years despite holding an identical position title?

Muschamp can't risk a failure from within his current staff. New blood is the right approach here.

Reactions: Rod Dangerfield

Was Mclendon ever given a chance to beat Roper out? My understanding is he was brought in for recruiting only, he's only co-OC in title.

Was Mclendon ever given a chance to beat Roper out? My understanding is he was brought in for recruiting only, he's only co-OC in title.
Just remember UGA fans comments regarding him when Muschamp hired him. That he was a top-notch recruiter and average coach, players loved him though. He coached RBs at UGA....not exactly a hard job. Though they didn't want to see him leave because of recruiting.

Just remember UGA fans comments regarding him when Muschamp hired him. That he was a top-notch recruiter and average coach, players loved him though. He coached RBs at UGA....not exactly a hard job. Though they didn't want to see him leave because of recruiting.
Wonder why we didn't hire him in the same capacity and stick Bobby with the co-OC tag?

McClendon having the co-OC title was just a way to give him a resume title & pay bump to lure him here. He's as much of an OC as I am.
Plus he's a good recruiter and he isn't the one calling the plays so he gets a pass IMO at this point.

I agree with everything you said rogue cock. I said the same thing about Bentley when he took the PC job. His 2 years there weren't great but he still called 'good plays' on the offensive side of the ball. He's an exceptional play-caller, and the same can be said about Chris Miller on the (Defensive side) the man knows 'defense' and Chris is my favorite High School Coach in South Carolina by the way! Bobby Bentley even rubbed me wrong at times, especially the way he favored Korn, Chas, and Shular down there in Duncan. He even hindered Chris Miller from doing his job when he "Bentley." was a spectator in the stands! But even though I hold those things against Bobby; It doesn't blind me from seeing, that we have a hidden gem, that knows how to put points on the board.

I agree with everything you said rogue cock. I said the same thing about Bentley when he took the PC job. His 2 years there weren't great but he still called 'good plays' on the offensive side of the ball. He's an exceptional play-caller, and the same can be said about Chris Miller on the (Defensive side) the man knows 'defense' and Chris is my favorite High School Coach in South Carolina by the way! Bobby Bentley even rubbed me wrong at times, especially the way he favored Korn, Chas, and Shular down there in Duncan. He even hindered Chris Miller from doing his job when he "Bentley." was a spectator in the stands! But even though I hold those things against Bobby; It doesn't blind me from seeing, that we have a hidden gem, that knows how to put points on the board.
And he may be as good as you believe....but he has yet to call plays on this level. IMO he will need to go to a lower level (even for just a year or two) be successful there and then get his shot at a P-5 school. We just can't afford to take the chance at this point...we need a proven, successful play caller.

I do not know if true or not....but hope so. It should be automatic that someone gets fired if Clemson beats us that bad...period. It is going to be Muschamp before long. I do not care if you win the East every year.....losing this game should earn you a vacation.

And he may be as good as you believe....but he has yet to call plays on this level. IMO he will need to go to a lower level (even for just a year or two) be successful there and then get his shot at a P-5 school. We just can't afford to take the chance at this point...we need a proven, successful play caller.
Proven, successful play caller?..then why is Roper still employed? Lol

Reactions: ken in sacramento
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT