ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Rumph

wasask

Jan 5, 2004
Why not approach him as dline coach coached for Saban @ Alabama also for Strong @ Texas now for Mcilwain in Florida. Being a high school coach for 17 years and coached 3 state championship teams I worked football camps with him for several years he is a great coach!!!!

Reactions: Da Swami
Gee, after all those coaching jobs with Clem, Bama, UF, etc., maybe he's like a 'spent hen' - did well while the youth, energy and mojo were prevalent in his life, but now he wants to 'coast' to retirement. Good résumé, but we need to be aware!

What about the fact that at the time Rumph not only neg recruited his alma mater, he was claiming that Spurrier tried to hire him away from Clemson but he said no? Screw Rumph.
Fine. But he seems to be a pretty darn good DL coach, which we desperately need. And IIRC it was internet rumors that had him negatively recruiting...never heard a recruit say that. And it was his head coach that said Spurrier tried to hire him.

Rogue, you really think Spur gives a crap what is said here. Among most fans included. Some recruits and their parents do though. Just ignorant fodder during recruiting. That's all.

Fine. But he seems to be a pretty darn good DL coach, which we desperately need. And IIRC it was internet rumors that had him negatively recruiting...never heard a recruit say that. And it was his head coach that said Spurrier tried to hire him.
Did he deny it?

BTW, I wouldn't hire him based solely on his neg recruiting and lying about Spurrier wanting him. But his resume isn't very good. He took a dominating Bama Dline and in 3 short years they dropped to 80th in the country in sacks(sounds a lot like what Whammy did to our defense except this is Bama, home of the 5 stars). After Bama, he spent a year at Texas and is now at UF. There's a reason he isn't sticking. Recruiting is great, but if you can't coach em up, all you have is potential which gets you no where.

Rogue, you really think Spur gives a crap what is said here. Among most fans included. Some recruits and their parents do though. Just ignorant fodder during recruiting. That's all.
No, I don't think Spurrier gives a crap what is said on here. Recruits either for that matter. Doubt many of them worry about these sites at all, unless an article about them is posted by the site....they're all on Twitter, Snapchat, etc...

I heard he was the primary target but they got impatient and settled for Deke.

It just makes too much sense. The dude (Rumph) is from Saint Matthews. Would have been a slam dunk hire

Did he deny it?

BTW, I wouldn't hire him based solely on his neg recruiting and lying about Spurrier wanting him. But his resume isn't very good. He took a dominating Bama Dline and in 3 short years they dropped to 80th in the country in sacks(sounds a lot like what Whammy did to our defense except this is Bama, home of the 5 stars). After Bama, he spent a year at Texas and is now at UF. There's a reason he isn't sticking. Recruiting is great, but if you can't coach em up, all you have is potential which gets you no where.
First, I doubt he'd deny anything his boss said. That's usually not a smart thing to do. Two, he would not be my favorite for the DL. Lawing IMO is probably the best in the business and I'd make a huge run at him before I'd look anywhere else.

First, I doubt he'd deny anything his boss said. That's usually not a smart thing to do. Two, he would not be my favorite for the DL. Lawing IMO is probably the best in the business and I'd make a huge run at him before I'd look anywhere else.
Then he can own the lie about his alma mater. He made his bed.

But again, he's not that good.

I agree on Lawing but the internet rumors on him mean he's probably never coming back.

Dline is the bottom line for me though. Lawing's Dline DNA change is THE reason we made the run we did.

Reactions: rogue cock
Rogue, you are right in one respect. Some of the recruited players don't frequent boards of teams. That being said, I assure you some of their parents do, some of their teammates do who are not being recruited to D1 , some of their girlfriends do, and a lot of coaches, teachers and their family members do. The advent of social media has changed the "game" of recruiting. Surely you are smart enough to be able to realize that. It's not so much the recruits, it's more the people in their ear.

Rumph was a damn fine DL coach and recruiter. He left to double his salary at Bama not b/c he wasn't getting it done at Clemson. We landed on our feet by getting Hobby (I feel he's probably just a little bit better at coaching than Rumph and probably just a bit worse at recruiting) We were lucky to get him on short notice. Personally I don't want to see him in Columbia.

It sometimes amazes me how people will believe disparaging rumors about their rivals and other teams, and absolutely deny any disparaging rumors from the same or similar sources about their own team. The hypocrisy is astounding.

What about the fact that at the time Rumph not only neg recruited his alma mater, he was claiming that Spurrier tried to hire him away from Clemson but he said no? Screw Rumph.

Yeah, Rumph can go screw himself. He's no better than that POS Brad Scott.

Did he deny it?

Nothing but sour grapes and ignorance on your part. Here's a write-up on Rumph's departure from a Texas homer site. They were disappointed to lose him:

It's a reasonably significant hit for the Horns, as Rumph had a successful year as a recruiter, serving as the point man with defensive tackle Du'Vonta Lampkin, defensive end Charles Omenihu, safety DeShon Elliott, and defensive end Quincy Vasser. As a result of that success, 247Sports ranked him as the No. 4 recruiter in the Big 12 and No. 24 recruiter in the country.

Rumph also deserves some credit for helping defensive tackle Malcom Brown break out in a big way as a junior, as did fellow defensive tackle Hassan Ridgeway. Last year, Ridgeway showed flashes of his ability, but never put it all together, something he started to do as a sophomore in coming class to matching the numbers put up by Brown.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/20...a-gators-defensive-line-coach-texas-longhorns

These guys are mercenaries and they come and go. Some dust up played out for micro second years ago shouldn't make much of difference if he's the best guy available. That said, I don't trust Spurrier or his staff to make the right hires anymore.

Nothing but sour grapes and ignorance on your part. Here's a write-up on Rumph's departure from a Texas homer site. They were disappointed to lose him:

It's a reasonably significant hit for the Horns, as Rumph had a successful year as a recruiter, serving as the point man with defensive tackle Du'Vonta Lampkin, defensive end Charles Omenihu, safety DeShon Elliott, and defensive end Quincy Vasser. As a result of that success, 247Sports ranked him as the No. 4 recruiter in the Big 12 and No. 24 recruiter in the country.

Rumph also deserves some credit for helping defensive tackle Malcom Brown break out in a big way as a junior, as did fellow defensive tackle Hassan Ridgeway. Last year, Ridgeway showed flashes of his ability, but never put it all together, something he started to do as a sophomore in coming class to matching the numbers put up by Brown.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/20...a-gators-defensive-line-coach-texas-longhorns
All I see is he recruited a bunch of guys. Haven't seen any proof that he's a great Dline coach.

Again, 80th in the country in sacks at Bama. I don't give a damn about recruiting 5 stars to Bama and Texas. Even you could do that.

I trust that Hoke will bring in a good D line coach & good LB coach to replace Adams & Botkins at the end of this year because I definitely don't see those two returning after this season.

I trust that Hoke will bring in a good D line coach & good LB coach to replace Adams & Botkins at the end of this year because I definitely don't see those two returning after this season.

Everyone hates Botkin. I dont understand why. This year and last year the LB corps was the best performing unit on defense by far

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT