ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Steele

Be very surprised if he doesn’t wind up a UF . Mullen’s is a great recruiter and Florida is on the come up . Be nice if we had a recent win in the Swamp that we could use to Sale him . Mullen will have UF back in the mix in a couple of years . With Miami and FSU in the gutter , he will cherry pick the best instate recruits in the state . Who thought Mullen’s biggest competition recruiting wise would be UCF ??

Is 8-5 in the gutter? That's Miami's record if they beat Wisconsin.

Reactions: Jpcooper
wait a minute!!!! is this the same guy that wrote up that Phony Dossier??
giphy.gif

My personal opinion would be for him to come to carolina. Muschamp is a very proven defensive coach that gets players ready for the next level. I have never thought Todd Grantham was a very good coordinator. I never understood the love affair coaches had for him. His defenses are always good when he comes to a school for a year or two and then they start to falter a bit and he heads elsewhere. It seems he is not a good evaluator of talent as a whole or else he is not very good at developing them. I dont see him at Florida after about three years and their defense will be slipping at that time. Steele needs to come to carolina to get better. I know it sounds like a homer but I would feel that way if it was most any team against Florida with grantham coaching
LOL did you watch our defense this year? Even when healthy? Smh

LOL did you watch our defense this year? Even when healthy? Smh
Muschamps history speaks for itself. This year was something of an anomoly, however Grantham always starts good and then his defense falters and he high tails it out of town before people realize it was him who destroyed it. I just wish Ward and Deke Adams had high tailed it out of here, but unfortunatley they were not as smart as Grantham in that regard. Muschamp will get defense fixed, Grantham will be exposed once again ina year or two.

I apologize if this has been discussed already but there is one thing here that is keeping me cautiously optimistic. Every in-home that Steele has had with coaches have been posted on social media... all except the in-home with Champ and Co. this past weekend. Maybe I'm reading the tea leaves a little too much on this one but that seems slightly significant since he is wanting to keep his commitment under wraps until Jan 5th.

Or perhaps I am just optimistic to a fault and they just happened to not take a picture that night. When there's smoke, there's fire but there is so much smoke in the air it's hard to see where it's coming from...

First post btw, I have been reading this board without posting for a while and finally made a profile. I now feel official :cool:

Of all the teams who needed head coaches at the time and there were a lot of openings , why was he never a consideration for any of those jobs ?? He went to Georgia and his name was never even mentioned for that Job . Not discounting the good things he has done here but it’s common knowledge Herman was the first choice , Kirby was the second and Muschamp was probably the third if not the fourth choice . You are absolutely correct about his development and coaching on the defensive end . Probably nobody better at the time , but as a Head Coach his overall game management and development of skill players , especially QB’s at UF just wasn’t good . That being said , I think he has exceeded most people’s expectations here but nobody but us would touch him with a ten foot pole at the time of his hire . Of course you could have said the same thing about Dabo when he took over . Nobody saw that coming and it’s worked out ok . Barry Odom at Mizzou is another example . All I know for 100% certainty is Will Muschamp will never win an Eastern division title at USC with consistent recruiting classes in the bottom half of the SEC .

Everyone Is certainly entitled to their own opinion, but should also keep in mind that stating an opinion as if it were factual, doesn't make it factual.

Not at all . In the last 100 years of Gamecock football 8-5 is a banner year unfortunately!! Better than a lot of teams I guess

I think since 2000, 7-5 would be about average. I don't think 8-5 is a banner year.

So it's your opinion that the defensive problems this year were due to coaching?

I would agree with him . Yes, a lot of it is coaching . Now the injuries were a major factor but the defense that gave up miles of yardage to UGA , Mizzou and Kentucky in the first half was healthy . Losing our best pass rusher in the first game really hurt too , but not being able to tackle , cover receivers or line up properly is a coaching issue . Our fundamentals on defense were just bad this year . This defense was historically bad in terms of yardage allowed . Probably the worst defense since Tanneyhill’s monster year . I think it’s a combination of Injuries , Bad coaching , Depth , and lack of Elite Talent . Hopefully this class will fix some of this .

I apologize if this has been discussed already but there is one thing here that is keeping me cautiously optimistic. Every in-home that Steele has had with coaches have been posted on social media... all except the in-home with Champ and Co. this past weekend. Maybe I'm reading the tea leaves a little too much on this one but that seems slightly significant since he is wanting to keep his commitment under wraps until Jan 5th.

Or perhaps I am just optimistic to a fault and they just happened to not take a picture that night. When there's smoke, there's fire but there is so much smoke in the air it's hard to see where it's coming from...

First post btw, I have been reading this board without posting for a while and finally made a profile. I now feel official :cool:

Thought the exact same thing. He has posted a picture with every other coach/group of coaches in his top 5. All but Muschamp/TRob. Interesting for sure.

Edit- Could be nothing and seems like we're being paranoid. But I would be surprised if this wasn't intentional in some way. These kids are obsessed with social media and putting everything out there. Would be surprised if he just 'forgot' to get a picture with our coaches or forgot to post it, especially considering how quickly he's done so with everyone else.

Now, assuming it was intentional, is it good or bad for us? Or does it really not mean anything?

Last edited:
Reactions: OGCock
I would agree with him . Yes, a lot of it is coaching . Now the injuries were a major factor but the defense that gave up miles of yardage to UGA , Mizzou and Kentucky in the first half was healthy . Losing our best pass rusher in the first game really hurt too , but not being able to tackle , cover receivers or line up properly is a coaching issue . Our fundamentals on defense were just bad this year . This defense was historically bad in terms of yardage allowed . Probably the worst defense since Tanneyhill’s monster year . I think it’s a combination of Injuries , Bad coaching , Depth , and lack of Elite Talent . Hopefully this class will fix some of this .
OK, so they just forgot how to coach? The fact that the defense has been good in previous years was what, just luck? The coaches are the same, the difference is the talent. We were already undertalented BEFORE we had a ridiculous amount of injuries.

OK, so they just forgot how to coach? The fact that the defense has been good in previous years was what, just luck? The coaches are the same, the difference is the talent. We were already undertalented BEFORE we had a ridiculous amount of injuries.

Last year we were 5th in the conference (with mostly Spurrier recruits) but still gave up tons of yardage. Our turnover Margin was second in the League so that helped . Not saying they can’t coach , just watch the game film . Missed tackle after missed tackle , taking bad angles , giving up easy completions on 3rd down . Those things are fundamental and coachable . Not arguing that Talent and Injuries were not a major factor but it’s the SEC . Every team deals with it . Not saying we should start firing people but the buck stops with the head coach and the DC . If the defensive breakdown cropped up later in the season after the injuries I could buy it but it was a problem all year .

A former Clemson LB diagrammed one their offensive plays against us for me. We had a CB covering an ineligible receiver and not a soul on our sideline saw it. That's coaching.

Last year we were 5th in the conference (with mostly Spurrier recruits) but still gave up tons of yardage. Our turnover Margin was second in the League so that helped . Not saying they can’t coach , just watch the game film . Missed tackle after missed tackle , taking bad angles , giving up easy completions on 3rd down . Those things are fundamental and coachable . Not arguing that Talent and Injuries were not a major factor but it’s the SEC . Every team deals with it . Not saying we should start firing people but the buck stops with the head coach and the DC . If the defensive breakdown cropped up later in the season after the injuries I could buy it but it was a problem all year .

We were forced to play 6 true Freshman, and a walk on, on defense against Clemson. That's how badly the injuries hurt us. Early in the season the Gamecocks defense was one of the best third down defenses in the country.

Reactions: PC31
A former Clemson LB diagrammed one their offensive plays against us for me. We had a CB covering an ineligible receiver and not a soul on our sideline saw it. That's coaching.
So? Every team has mis-communications or a player that lines up in the wrong position from time to time.
Ask him how many times his tater defense was lined up wrong or had a player out of position. If he says none...he’s lying.

Reactions: PC31
So? Every team has mis-communications or a player that lines up in the wrong position from time to time.
Ask him how many times his tater defense was lined up wrong or had a player out of position. If he says none...he’s lying.
They had their problems as well. Giving up 50 plus every year to a rival just doesn't sit good with me when we supposedly have a defensive minded coach.

Reactions: Legendary Cock
Ignore me. No one is making you read it. I am loyal to the University not a staff. I make no bones about it. I dont like Muschamp but that doesn't mean I want him to fail.
As much as you constantly put the staff down, I believe you do want them to fail. When you whine and moan as much as you do, that's the only conclusion.

We were forced to play 6 true Freshman, and a walk on, on defense against Clemson. That's how badly the injuries hurt us. Early in the season the Gamecocks defense was one of the best third down defenses in the country.

Yeah the injuries were big . We can both agree on one thing ... the defense was awful this year .

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
They had their problems as well. Giving up 50 plus every year to a rival just doesn't sit good with me when we supposedly have a defensive minded coach.
He won’t when he gets the players he wants/needs. You know what shape the D was in after Whammy and Adams. It’ll probably take 2 more classes to get the D where we need it to be, but it’ll be much better next season.
But if it makes you feel better, keep complaining.

As much as you constantly put the staff down, I believe you do want them to fail. When you whine and moan as much as you do, that's the only conclusion.
No, I just want to win and I dont think he is the answer. Next year will tell the tale if he is going to get it going. If he can win 8 next year with that schedule then he might get us there but win 6 or less and the writing is on the wall.

I think since 2000, 7-5 would be about average. I don't think 8-5 is a banner year.

This millennium (before bowl game)-

Mean- 7.45 wins
Median- 7 wins
Mode- 7 wins
Max- 11 wins
Min- 3 wins
Range- 8 wins

3 wins- 1 time (2015)
5 wins- 2 times (2002, 2003)
6 wins- 3 times (2004, 2007, 2016)
7 wins- 5 times (2005, 2008, 2009. 2014, 2018*)
8 wins- 2 times (2000, 2006)
9 wins- 3 times (2001, 2010, 2017)
11 wins- 3 times (2011, 2012, 2013)

*Pre Bowl Game

In past 19 seasons-

-Only 3 losing seasons
-7 seasons of 8 or more wins. Had only happened 3 times in history prior to 2000. Can make it 8 if we win bowl game.

This millennium (before bowl game)-

Mean- 7.45 wins
Median- 7 wins
Mode- 7 wins
Max- 11 wins
Min- 3 wins
Range- 8 wins

3 wins- 1 time (2015)
5 wins- 2 times (2002, 2003)
6 wins- 3 times (2004, 2007, 2016)
7 wins- 5 times (2005, 2008, 2009. 2014, 2018*)
8 wins- 2 times (2000, 2006)
9 wins- 3 times (2001, 2010, 2017)
11 wins- 3 times (2011, 2012, 2013)

*Pre Bowl Game

In past 19 seasons-

-Only 3 losing seasons
-7 seasons of 8 or more wins. Had only happened 3 times in history prior to 2000. Can make it 8 if we win bowl game.
You mean the useless meaningless bowl game ?

Reactions: Art__Vandelay
Champ is here because Ray whiffed on everybody else. Otherwise, Champ could have been hired three weeks earlier. I think he's going to make us a good coach, but let's just cut all the bullcrap.
I for one, am glad he is the Head Footbal Coach at the University of South Carolina.. I may be in the Minority, but i am okay with that..

I for one, am glad he is the Head Footbal Coach at the University of South Carolina.. I may be in the Minority, but i am okay with that..
I think he's got a good head on his shoulders and is working his butt off. I think there's still time for him to pan out. I think he has a long way to go. Right now, we are a middling program, still losing to other middling or lightly better than middling programs, not to mention the stout programs. If those are our aspirations, he's one of the best coaches in America. He can maintain that easily. I don't think those attainments will satisfy the fanbase indefinitely, or at least I hope they won't.

Champ is here because Ray whiffed on everybody else. Otherwise, Champ could have been hired three weeks earlier. I think he's going to make us a good coach, but let's just cut all the bullcrap.
I don't think he did. Kirby wanted the UGA job. Maybe on Herman, but I for one am glad we didn't the crap show that is Tom Herman. And Rich Rod was never a real candidate.
Will will do it. If he doesn't he will leave a fully stocked cupboard unlike our "legendary" quitter.And yes I am still angry at Spurrier for not manning up and quitting before the season.

Reactions: rogue cock
I don't think he did. Kirby wanted the UGA job. Maybe on Herman, but I for one am glad we didn't the crap show that is Tom Herman. And Rich Rod was never a real candidate.
Will will do it. If he doesn't he will leave a fully stocked cupboard unlike our "legendary" quitter.And yes I am still angry at Spurrier for not manning up and quitting before the season.
If he hadn't been busy whiffing, whatever the particulars, some of which I'm sure we don't know, Champ could have been here sooner.

I think he's got a good head on his shoulders and is working his butt off. I think there's still time for him to pan out. I think he has a long way to go. Right now, we are a middling program, still losing to other middling or lightly better than middling programs, not to mention the stout programs. If those are our aspirations, he's one of the best coaches in America. He can maintain that easily. I don't think those attainments will satisfy the fanbase indefinitely, or at least I hope they won't.
We lost to UGA, Clemson, KY (don't laugh this is the best team in their history),
Should have beat UF and ATM, but both are top 25 teams. Did we lose to Vandy and I don't know about it?

Reactions: rogue cock
We lost to UGA, Clemson, KY (don't laugh this is the best team in their history),
Should have beat UF and ATM, but both are top 25 teams. Did we lose to Vandy and I don't know about it?
The best team in their history? UK won the SEC under Bryant. They went 10-1 under Curci. UF is only ranked where they are because we blew the game to them.

Last edited:
The best team in their history? UK won the SEC under Bryant. They went 10-1 under Curci. UF is only ranked where we are because we blew the game to them.
BB? 1949 and 1950 and one of those years they were on probation iirc. If you think 1950s conditioned athletes could even catch the guys playing today I can't help you.
And 1977? I would have picked 1984 for arguments' sake. At least at that point time everyone was all roid rage and amphetamines. They might give this year's team a run for their money.

edit: Not starting an argument here. Just agreeing to disagree.

BB? 1949 and 1950 and one of those years they were on probation iirc. If you think 1950s conditioned athletes could even catch the guys playing today I can't help you.
And 1977? I would have picked 1984 for arguments' sake. At least at that point time everyone was all roid rage and amphetamines. They might give this year's team a run for their money.
You said the best team they ever had. You judge that by achievement. How else would you judge it? The 1927 Yankees are still regarded by many as the best of all time, regardless of how athletic factors have changed. Bottom line is this UK team has three losses - hardly a juggernaut.

Reactions: jimnasium

He did not whiff on Herman....he was NEVER coming here, despite what some people seem intent on believing. Even when people were saying the hire was imminent, he was not coming here.

We had Kirby ready to sign. Not Ray's fault that UGA made the move for him, as we were not going to have a UGA clause in his contract.

The other rumors about Fuente, Rodriguez, etc were exactly that.....rumors.

Not calling you out, just piggy backing on your post to enlighten the board. It is fair to say that we got our second choice, as Kirby was the first choice.

With that said, Muschamp needs to pull off a great end to this recruiting class to get forward momentum out of this season. I also predict that the defense will be top 35 in scoring defense, if we close with some DBs and a LB for depth. And I fully expect 8-9 wins next year...maybe more. If not, Champ will be on the warm seat in 2020. However, there is no way he gets fired after 4 seasons, with more wins than any other coach in his first 3. He will be here for at least 6 years, even if things start to go south on the field. It is amazing how people forget how many years it took spurrier to put a true SEC championship level team on the field.

Reactions: PC31 and rogue cock

Yeap . He’s done a great job given the cards he was dealt . Anybody who says they were jumping up and down with excitement when he was hired are full of it . If he was announced as HC at UGA after they fired Richt the Dawgs would have burned the hedges down . That being said , he has definitely overachieved here and yes 7-5 in year three is overachieving because most of us expected it to be worse . If he can hang on to Bmac and continue to score points and fix the defense , he could be one of the best coaches in our history . Either way if he continues winning more games than he loses, he will stay here as long as he wants .

Reactions: dssgateway1
He did not whiff on Herman....he was NEVER coming here, despite what some people seem intent on believing. Even when people were saying the hire was imminent, he was not coming here.

We had Kirby ready to sign. Not Ray's fault that UGA made the move for him, as we were not going to have a UGA clause in his contract.

The other rumors about Fuente, Rodriguez, etc were exactly that.....rumors.

Not calling you out, just piggy backing on your post to enlighten the board. It is fair to say that we got our second choice, as Kirby was the first choice.

With that said, Muschamp needs to pull off a great end to this recruiting class to get forward momentum out of this season. I also predict that the defense will be top 35 in scoring defense, if we close with some DBs and a LB for depth. And I fully expect 8-9 wins next year...maybe more. If not, Champ will be on the warm seat in 2020. However, there is no way he gets fired after 4 seasons, with more wins than any other coach in his first 3. He will be here for at least 6 years, even if things start to go south on the field. It is amazing how people forget how many years it took spurrier to put a true SEC championship level team on the field.
We took too long to get our second choice, if that's what he was. I do place a little more faith in your reasoning, though, based on that last paragraph. You had some good stuff in there. Although I say eight wins tops and five years instead of six, depending on how badly things were to go south.

Last edited:
Yeap . He’s done a great job given the cards he was dealt . Anybody who says they were jumping up and down with excitement when he was hired are full of it . If he was announced as HC at UGA after they fired Richt the Dawgs would have burned the hedges down . That being said , he has definitely overachieved here and yes 7-5 in year three is overachieving because most of us expected it to be worse . If he can hang on to Bmac and continue to score points and fix the defense , he could be one of the best coaches in our history . Either way if he continues winning more games than he loses, he will stay here as long as he wants .
I didn't expect it to be worse than 7-5 in year three.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT