ADVERTISEMENT

Christian Brown, Lower Richland. Any info?

PerchedOnRings

Oct 1, 2001
5* 6-6 SF. Anyone know if we even have a shot, or if he's just destined to leave town no matter what? USC is not listed in his top schools on any of several sites that I searched.

He is destined to leave... Never seemed to have any interest in our program

Hate it but I think he ends up a tater. It's like there's always something with us. Here's a talented kid who decides he wants to leave the area just when we could really use him. Frustrsting.

Franks style of coaching does not appeal to a lot of kids.
If I'm honest, if I was a 17-18yr-old kid, I don't know if I'd want to play for CFM. That said, the ones who do and come out on the other side, seem to love him, and truly appreciate him for his coaching and guidance.

If I'm honest, if I was a 17-18yr-old kid, I don't know if I'd want to play for CFM. That said, the ones who do and come out on the other side, seem to love him, and truly appreciate him for his coaching and guidance.
In this era of brainwashed little snowflakes, Coach Franks pool of prospects is always smaller.. He can help himself and us by controlling his emotions.. He doesn't have rage against every little mistake a player makes.. It comes across as panic and disrespect to some prospects

Agree. Frank’s a great coach, but he needs to adopt a kinder demeanor. Would he go off on a kid if he were back in the classroom teaching math like he used to do? Men are scapegoats about any thing these days, even if you just raise your voice. He needs to remember the basketball arena is a classroom under a giant microscope.

We Taters think we are going to get Josiah James. Then again we thought we were going to get Zion so with basketball recruiting who knows.

In this era of brainwashed little snowflakes, Coach Franks pool of prospects is always smaller.. He can help himself and us by controlling his emotions.. He doesn't have rage against every little mistake a player makes.. It comes across as panic and disrespect to some prospects
CFM should, IMHO, hire a marketing firm and do some research on what he needs to do to sell himself to 17 year old recruits. He certainly can improve his image if he wants to.

If he identifies what is holding him back, he can work on it just like a player works on weaknesses identified by the coaches.

CFM should, IMHO, hire a marketing firm and do some research on what he needs to do to sell himself to 17 year old recruits. He certainly can improve his image if he wants to.

If he identifies what is holding him back, he can work on it just like a player works on weaknesses identified by the coaches.

He has been pretty adamant that he is not changing "who he is".

He doesn’t need to change who he is, but he needs to put guys in the NBA who make nice money. What Thornwell and Dozier do in the NBA will be more important than anything else Frank does from a recruiting perspective these next few years. Top high school players want a pathway to, and preparation for, the NBA.

Reactions: funktavious
This has been our norm in recruiting for most of my life, not shocked. I would love to see it change, but not betting on it.
Same here. We struggle to bring in guys in our own back yard and it has been frustrating. I think it has far less to do with who our coach is. When these kids think basketball they just don't think of USC. When I go on Facebook and all of my friends who support USC football, very few of them make a peep during basketball season. It's going to take some time for that to change. We need a few more seasons to go like last season did and hopefully that will make an impact on these kids that are growing up playing hoops. I wonder how much the AAU coaches influence the kids that they are coaching and how much they hurt the local programs.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
Same here. We struggle to bring in guys in our own back yard and it has been frustrating. I think it has far less to do with who our coach is. When these kids think basketball they just don't think of USC. When I go on Facebook and all of my friends who support USC football, very few of them make a peep during basketball season. It's going to take some time for that to change. We need a few more seasons to go like last season did and hopefully that will make an impact on these kids that are growing up playing hoops. I wonder how much the AAU coaches influence the kids that they are coaching and how much they hurt the local programs.

So, important point here on influencers for these top kids. There are a lot of people in their lives who see dollar signs when they look at these players. Some, for their own gain. Others more so because they want to see the kid do well.

You take a guy like Dozier. Top 20 player. This is a guy with a legit shot at an NBA career coming out of high school. You probably have a sphere of 10 people or so in his ear about the best one or two year plan to prepare for the NBA. So what’s the smart decision there? Objectively. Taking all emotion and connections out of it. The answer? Play for guys who routinely put top 20 guys in the NBA. Who is that? Coach Cal, Coach K, Roy Williams, Steve Alford, Mark Few, Bill Self, Jim Boheom, etc. You’re letting a kid with significant potential take a huge risk if he plays for someone else.

That’s why Zion going to Duke makes all the sense in the world. You have a chance to be a top 5 NBA draft pick. Who do you want prepping you for that, making those connections? Coach K, who has done it countless times? Or Frank Martin, who did it once with Michael Beasley?

If your kid had all the skills to make millions of dollars, but just needed a year or two of mentorship, you’d be crazy not to direct him to the best, proven mentors.

So, important point here on influencers for these top kids. There are a lot of people in their lives who see dollar signs when they look at these players. Some, for their own gain. Others more so because they want to see the kid do well.

You take a guy like Dozier. Top 20 player. This is a guy with a legit shot at an NBA career coming out of high school. You probably have a sphere of 10 people or so in his ear about the best one or two year plan to prepare for the NBA. So what’s the smart decision there? Objectively. Taking all emotion and connections out of it. The answer? Play for guys who routinely put top 20 guys in the NBA. Who is that? Coach Cal, Coach K, Roy Williams, Steve Alford, Mark Few, Bill Self, Jim Boheom, etc. You’re letting a kid with significant potential take a huge risk if he plays for someone else.

That’s why Zion going to Duke makes all the sense in the world. You have a chance to be a top 5 NBA draft pick. Who do you want prepping you for that, making those connections? Coach K, who has done it countless times? Or Frank Martin, who did it once with Michael Beasley?

If your kid had all the skills to make millions of dollars, but just needed a year or two of mentorship, you’d be crazy not to direct him to the best, proven mentors.
Your post is right on and makes so much sense. This is exactly why this one and done foolishness should be reformed right out of college basketball.

There is no way coach FM's team should have beaten Duke, with all of the talent on that team, last year. Yes, it was due to spirit of the players, but also great coaching and player development. Let the one and done'ers go strait to the NBA, and that would keep them from corrupting the college game.

Coach FM does not need to change who he is. He can remain true to himself while improving his perception among aspiring 17 year old elite student athletes.

Coach FM does not need to change who he is. He can remain true to himself while improving his perception among aspiring 17 year old elite student athletes.
Ranting and raving on the sidelines like a rabid grizzly will not endear him to many 17 year olds... You would be sick if you knew how many prospects don't even consider us for that very reason..

Ranting and raving on the sidelines like a rabid grizzly will not endear him to many 17 year olds... You would be sick if you knew how many prospects don't even consider us for that very reason..

Got to be honest millenniums are totally non confrontational - they will text/Facebook how much they hate their coach disrespecting them.

ADVERTISEMENT