ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati wrong to release Brennaman for using the wrong word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snake006

Aug 7, 2007
This was not said when he was broadcasting, it was during a break and caught on a hot mic. He apologized and should be reprimanded. If anyone says they have not said a off-color word or two they are a stone faced liar. They should put it to a vote in the the state of Ohio and see if this guy should be removed. People are WAAAYYYY to soft and sensitive these days. If a Gay person said that a certain city was the Redneck, or any stereotype capital of the world, I might not agree with it but it would not not bother me in the least.

Let the process play out. He has not been fired as of this time. The official word is that he was pulled off the air and was suspended until further notice. It is a slippery slope in this current climate. Therefore, it is essential this matter is handled properly without outside influence.

He could have meant it's the Cigarette capital of the world. Js.. or he could have been talking about the city having the hardest workers of tedious jobs.

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
This was not said when he was broadcasting, it was during a break and caught on a hot mic. He apologized and should be reprimanded. If anyone says they have not said a off-color word or two they are a stone faced liar. They should put it to a vote in the the state of Ohio and see if this guy should be removed. People are WAAAYYYY to soft and sensitive these days. If a Gay person said that a certain city was the Redneck, or any stereotype capital of the world, I might not agree with it but it would not not bother me in the least.
It was said at work and Cincinnatti or whoever his employer is has every right to terminate him.

Last edited:
Anybody who uses the words, “I”m sorry if anybody was offended.” Is not making a true apology. It is a passive and evasive attempt to put the burden on the offended hearer.

PLEASE Dear God, when you make an apology have the honesty and courage to claim your mistake. It ain’t that hard.....
“My language was inexcusable, i’m Sorry and ask your forgiveness. I promise I will work to do better in the future.”

What did he actually say? I googled by the articles only said anti gay, so he said the f word in regard to gay?

All I could tell from articles he said

“One of the [expletive] capitals of the world,”

But looked like he was suspended not fired, or was he fired?

What did he actually say? I googled by the articles only said anti gay, so he said the f word in regard to gay?

All I could tell from articles he said

“One of the [expletive] capitals of the world,”

But looked like he was suspended not fired, or was he fired?
I haven't seen or heard it but I assumed the same thing you did.

Anybody who uses the words, “I”m sorry if anybody was offended.” Is not making a true apology. It is a passive and evasive attempt to put the burden on the offended hearer.

PLEASE Dear God, when you make an apology have the honesty and courage to claim your mistake. It ain’t that hard.....
“My language was inexcusable, i’m Sorry and ask your forgiveness. I promise I will work to do better in the future.”
It’s amazing that you could read his mind and know that he was not making a true apology and even more amazing that you know that whenever anybody uses the words, “I’m sorry if anybody was offended” that they are not making a true apology.
I’m truly sorry if this comment offended you!

Reactions: Bravecock77

You mean, him continuing to call the game during the apology was not a good look?

Reactions: GamecockWarrior
Not defending what he did, but I don't think one transgression merits having your career taken away. The punishment should fit the crime.
You can't keep that guy employed to represent your station.

The Hornets guy: I really doubt he meant to tweet that. It's unusual, but I don't think he should lose his job.

Not defending what he did, but I don't think one transgression merits having your career taken away. The punishment should fit the crime.
Depends on the transgression. A broadcaster using a homophobic slur over the air absolutely qualifies, whether he realizes his mic was hot or not.

People can make mistakes. People can have different opinions, some of which may be deemed to offensive by others (ie, a strict Christian not agreeing with gay marriage), but that doesn't mean they can say offensive things in the workplace.

Reactions: Gamekem
If a typical day-job, 9-to-5 office worker says something like that at a Wal-mart or in a restaurant, and it gets into the public domain, then he/she might possibly get a pass. If he/she said it while wearing or representing his/her job (logo on the shirt, or just telling people that's where he works), and THAT gets into the public domain, then he/she could be penalized, even being fired depending on severe the comments were.

If that person does the above while actually on the job, on the companies clock, then unless he/she is the son/daughter of the owner, pretty much expect them to be looking for another job.

For a broadcast personality as well known as Brennaman is, to say these things while on the clock - whether it was a hot mic deal or not matter not one bit - he might as well have shouted out the word(s) when a player hit a home run -

"the pitcher toes the rubber.....the wind up......its a bit insi - the batter takes a big swing.....it's got a chance......the outfielder is at the wall!......IT'S GONE!!! %$& CITY, YOU GOT YOURSELF A HOMERUN!!!!"

Its been said more times than I can recall after these so-called hot-mic gotchas - when you're on the job, ACT like you're on the air AT ALL TIMES. Wait until you get home to curse or use racist epithets, if you have some weird need to. Act like you're in church - you don't whisper profanities to your wife sitting in the pew between sermons, or right after you sit back down from singing a hymn. These network celebrities get paid well enough to know how to act in public - if they still feel some need to act out, then they deserve what comes their way.....

Ouch. Hearing that audio, suspension is definitely warranted at this time. Fired? Maybe. They wouldn't be wrong to. Though in cases like this, where the offender has a higher profile, perhaps a punishment that educates him and the public could be a better use of time.

All that being said, dude is an idiot. I realize his workplace is different than most, but you're at work, act like it.

The Hornets guy: I really doubt he meant to tweet that. It's unusual, but I don't think he should lose his job.

Doesn't make any sense to me. I just don't see the great benefit in going for blood with everyone. Suspend him, fine him, make him apologize, make him give a donation to GLAAD. I dunno. But why does everyone just have to get canned?

It's just not my mindset. I dunno. I hear stuff all the time in media that's personally offensive, but I don't think those people should be fired.

I say I don't get, but really I do. Obviously, the goal is create by force a society that is monolithic in thought.

Reactions: mikeypen
Cincy not wrong. The man used a clearly understood slur that is notoriously associated with hate speech and hate crimes. This is unacceptable at any level, but especially for a senior leadership position. And yes, being able to call MLB games means you are accomplished to the point of being considered a senior leader.
Like I said in the OP Soft, Soft, Soft.

The problem for Hornets guy is you can only accidentally tweet the N word if autocorrect fills it for you. Autocorrect would only "correct" to that word if you had typed it before. I and U are next to each other on a QWERTY keyboard. He typed N, accidentally hit I, then the next three letters and his autocorrect went to a word he has previously typed. He's done. And I agree with you on Reds guy. Whether the punishment fits the crime, he's burned his ability to be the voice of that team.

The problem for Hornets guy is you can only accidentally tweet the N word if autocorrect fills it for you. Autocorrect would only "correct" to that word if you had typed it before. I and U are next to each other on a QWERTY keyboard. He typed N, accidentally hit I, then the next three letters and his autocorrect went to a word he has previously typed. He's done. And I agree with you on Reds guy. Whether the punishment fits the crime, he's burned his ability to be the voice of that team.
I know, I have no idea how it would autocorrect to that. It's not a good look, but should you fire someone for a theory about the autocorrect? Idk.

This is correct. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there is not a SINGLE keyboard algorithm out there that would autocorrect any word to the n-word unless the machine learning component learns it directly from the user's habits. In other, words, if it auto-corrected to that word then the owner/user of that phone has been typing that word with some regularity.

Doesn't make any sense to me. I just don't see the great benefit in going for blood with everyone. Suspend him, fine him, make him apologize, make him give a donation to GLAAD. I dunno. But why does everyone just have to get canned?

It's just not my mindset. I dunno. I hear stuff all the time in media that's personally offensive, but I don't think those people should be fired.

I say I don't get, but really I do. Obviously, the goal is create by force a society that is monolithic in thought.
I'm sorry, but there may not be a clear line with this stuff, but what he said is beyond any reasonable line. Expecting an employee to not use an offensive slur is simply not an attempt to make everyone think the same way.

it's one thing if it was a "slip of the tongue", but your true feeling come out when you think the mic is off. I'm pretty sure that is his overall view of things. I'm sure he will land on his feet down the road but Fox has no choice but to terminate him.

That's not totally true. I is beside U and R is beside T. If he had fat thumbs he could have hit both of them. Autocorrect wouldn't have to come into play for that to happen. To be clear, I'm not saying that's what happened, just that it could have.

Reactions: boykinlp
Shocked that this board thinks a grown man using a homophobic word so casually on a public broadcast should get some benefit of the doubt. This isn't middle school.

I have no idea what the gay percentage of the population has to do with anything.

Being called a racist is IMO as bad as it gets. Fire every liberal in the country and call it even. No more free passes

Employees have been fired since the beginning of employment. Many are justified, some are not. Getting canned is not new.

There are several things we can’t say in our workplaces (hopefully not anywhere). But if we say them in a workplace, especially when our workplace has a microphone broadcasting our speech to the world, then there should be consequences.

This is accountability, not cancel culture. Many will support him however because they have no problem with what he said and they will bemoan “cancel cultural” erroneously.

Who's "soft" in this situation is anyone not wanting to take accountability for an unequivocal mistake of bad faith. To equate to the football field, this was not an "effort til the echo of the whistle personal foul," but an "intentional cheap shot personal foul."
He's not hiding from what he said. Its just in today's snowflake world people are being absolutely ruined because of one small mis-step in something they said. Not sure that any Gays are going jump off a bridge because of what this guy said.

He's not hiding from what he said. Its just in today's snowflake world people are being absolutely ruined because of one small mis-step in something they said. Not sure that any Gays are going jump off a bridge because of what this guy said.
Some might find it useful when considering relocating.

Reactions: Snake006
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT