ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati wrong to release Brennaman for using the wrong word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with your implication that "cancel culture" and "presumption of guilt" are major problems in the zeitgeist - strongly agree. But I don't think this is a small mis-step. I think this is a clear bad faith error.

I've had plenty members of my teams say questionable things over the years. But in almost every case, the questionable statement was not in bad faith and did not invoke verboten. So I debrief the situation and coach for better outcomes in the future. The 2 times where things were bad faith / verboten I terminated swiftly.

He's not hiding from what he said. Its just in today's snowflake world people are being absolutely ruined because of one small mis-step in something they said. Not sure that any Gays are going jump off a bridge because of what this guy said.

He's not hiding from what he said. Its just in today's snowflake world people are being absolutely ruined because of one small mis-step in something they said. Not sure that any Gays are going jump off a bridge because of what this guy said.
He CAN'T hide from what he said. It was clear and obvious.

Purposely using a slur is not a misstep. He didn't mispronounce a last name. He didn't express a personal opinion where it should not be rendered. He did the equivalent of saying the N-word while on the job.

You're right, nobody is going to commit suicide, but is that the litmus test for somebody getting fired? It's not being a snowflake to think that a broadcaster can't use slurs while on the job. That's basic human decency.

How could he hide from it? Millions have heard it now and he annunciated it with zest.

He apologized to a generic “those I offended” and his bosses and tried to use his “faith” to shield himself in the apology.

And while no one may have jumped off a bridge, hate does lead to bad outcomes. This is from this column in Cincinnati about the incident:

”According to the Trevor Project and Family Acceptance Project, LGBTQ+ youth who are rejected by their families are “8.4 times more likely to report having attempted suicide, 5.9 times more likely to report high levels of depression, 3.4 times more likely to use illegal drugs and 3.4 times more likely to report having engaged in unprotected sexual intercourse, compared to peers from families that reported no levels of family rejection.”

How could he hide from it? Millions have heard it now and he annunciated it with zest.

He apologized to a generic “those I offended” and his bosses and tried to use his “faith” to shield himself in the apology.

And while no one may have jumped off a bridge, hate does lead to bad outcomes. This is from this column in Cincinnati about the incident:

”According to the Trevor Project and Family Acceptance Project, LGBTQ+ youth who are rejected by their families are “8.4 times more likely to report having attempted suicide, 5.9 times more likely to report high levels of depression, 3.4 times more likely to use illegal drugs and 3.4 times more likely to report having engaged in unprotected sexual intercourse, compared to peers from families that reported no levels of family rejection.”

Compare that to children with

Compare that to children with only one parent and you’ll really see some disturbing numbers.

The biggest snowflake in the world resides in the White House right now. Trump can’t take even the least little bit of criticism without going on a full scale assault. It starts from the top.

He apologized, but the twitter left mob will demand his head. People should stop pretending like they have never said anything they regret.
This is my issue with the “cancel culture”.. I have tried to exercise this Mentality in my iwn life where I an self aware of my own imperfections so when my friends/family say or do something I disagree with or dislike... I don’t write them off. I give them a second chance and move on. Lord knows if I wrote off everyone who did something I did not like or if they wrote ME off... I would have nobody in my life. People need to realize we all make mistakes, we all say and do stuff others might find “offensive” from time to time. We need to build a damn bridge and move tf on!

it's one thing if it was a "slip of the tongue", but your true feeling come out when you think the mic is off. I'm pretty sure that is his overall view of things. I'm sure he will land on his feet down the road but Fox has no choice but to terminate him.

Thank goodness nobody you know uses the word.

Reactions: uscedge21
This is my issue with the “cancel culture”.. I have tried to exercise this Mentality in my iwn life where I an self aware of my own imperfections so when my friends/family say or do something I disagree with or dislike... I don’t write them off. I give them a second chance and move on. Lord knows if I wrote off everyone who did something I did not like or if they wrote ME off... I would have nobody in my life. People need to realize we all make mistakes, we all say and do stuff others might find “offensive” from time to time. We need to build a damn bridge and move tf on!

Well said, Sir.

But does "cancel culture" really exist? Or is it that now anyone in a business can be held accountable for their actions because they literally give their opinions to the entire world?

It used to be that if a spokesperson, or CEO, or any other major player in a business, did something untoward they would be fired from their job. But that was because people would find out about it. Now, if literally any any idiot in any business says something it can go viral (as a quote from a particular person that works for a particular company). But they still would have been fired for that in the past if the exact same fact pattern existed - it's just that now anyone can give their opinion to the world - so more people get fired.

It's a lesson more people should learn - just because you can give your opinion to the world, doesn't mean you should (if you like being employed).

"Cancel culture" is actually just capitalism. Will you support a company that supports certain beliefs or not?

Reactions: mcbear30
I can honestly say that no one I know would use the word. At least not in the presence of anyone. If they like to say it in private over and over - I don't know. But I roll with a group that tends to not be eighth grade boys.
So, you’re better than all those eight grade boys

But does "cancel culture" really exist? Or is it that now anyone in a business can be held accountable for their actions because they literally give their opinions to the entire world?

It used to be that if a spokesperson, or CEO, or any other major player in a business, did something untoward they would be fired from their job. But that was because people would find out about it. Now, if literally any any idiot in any business says something it can go viral (as a quote from a particular person that works for a particular company). But they still would have been fired for that in the past if the exact same fact pattern existed - it's just that now anyone can give their opinion to the world - so more people get fired.

It's a lesson more people should learn - just because you can give your opinion to the world, doesn't mean you should (if you like being employed).

"Cancel culture" is actually just capitalism. Will you support a company that supports certain beliefs or not?
Sorry Todd, I disagree. If someone REALLY screwed up, sure they would have repercussions. That is life. These days things have gotten completely out of hand and it is not a political thing it is a cultural thing. We need to get a handle on the “boycott __” and “fire __” mentality... It could be the ruin of us all. This idea that everyone must feel the same way about a social movement or a political candidate or be shunned for it is anti-American and goes against everything I believe in. Disagree? Great. Let the person know if you feel so inclined then move TF on with your life. No need to “speak to a manager” or Call the police or protest in front of their business. People have decided that their “feelings” are more important than the LIVES of others and that shows a lack of perspective and lack of empathy that is downright scary.

Sorry Todd, I disagree. If someone REALLY screwed up, sure they would have repercussions. That is life. These days things have gotten completely out of hand and it is not a political thing it is a cultural thing. We need to get a handle on the “boycott __” and “fire __” mentality... It could be the ruin of us all. This idea that everyone must feel the same way about a social movement or a political candidate or be shunned for it is anti-American and goes against everything I believe in. Disagree? Great. Let the person know if you feel so inclined then move TF on with your life. No need to “speak to a manager” or Call the police or protest in front of their business. People have decided that their “feelings” are more important than the LIVES of others and that shows a lack of perspective and lack of empathy that is downright scary.

But has anything really changed besides the number of people who can now be spokespeople for a brand? Even 30 years ago - if any employee of any business made a bad slur to the world (that could literally be heard by the entire world and all of the business' customers), would they keep their job? Never.

We just find ourselves in a place where literally everyone is a spokesperson for the companies they work for because they can literally speak to the world. People should take notice and smarten up. It's new. But smarter people is always a good thing.

Their isnt a person in this world that hasn't said something that would offend someone else. But that is where we are in this country. Everybody is a pitiful victim.

Their isnt a person in this world that hasn't said something that would offend someone else. But that is where we are in this country. Everybody is a pitiful victim.

Of course everyone has said something offensive in their lives. Does that mean doing it at work is ok? Especially when your work is broadcasting live across the country?

Guys. This isn’t an example of “cancel culture”
Hes the Voice of the Cincinnati Reds.
Its literally his job to represent the organization.

If Tommy Suggs called Georgia fans “fags” on air, he’d get fired.
‘This isn’t hard

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys. This isn’t an example of “cancel culture”
Hes the Voice of the Cincinnati Reds.
Its literally his job to represent the organization.

If Tommy Suggs called Georgia fans “fags” on air, he’d get fired.
‘This isn’t hard
But what if he called them mangy butt sniffers?

Just curious, does hate of Trump, any conservative, histpry and Christianity lead to bad outcomes? Apparently not these days. Works both ways. But you are correct.....nothing good comes from it.

The problem for Hornets guy is you can only accidentally tweet the N word if autocorrect fills it for you. Autocorrect would only "correct" to that word if you had typed it before. I and U are next to each other on a QWERTY keyboard. He typed N, accidentally hit I, then the next three letters and his autocorrect went to a word he has previously typed. He's done. And I agree with you on Reds guy. Whether the punishment fits the crime, he's burned his ability to be the voice of that team.
I know, I have no idea how it would autocorrect to that. It's not a good look, but should you fire someone for a theory about the autocorrect? Idk.
This is correct. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there is not a SINGLE keyboard algorithm out there that would autocorrect any word to the n-word unless the machine learning component learns it directly from the user's habits. In other, words, if it auto-corrected to that word then the owner/user of that phone has been typing that word with some regularity.
Autocorrect does usually work like that. But this is an issue of autocorrect NOT doing anything, rather than making that the default word. In this case, I and U are next to each other. R and T are also next to each other. I've never typed that word (and hit space, which saves a word into your dictionary) and yet my autocorrect offered no solutions to change the word to. I did not hit space to save it, but it is apparent to me that if you typed out the word, it would not change it any more than it would correct to it. Proofreading is a bitch, though. I've often let texts/posts go with errors in them without realizing it. But my job isn't to post texts or tweets for a living.

Last edited:
Do you seriously not understand the difference between saying something in casual conversation vs. broadcasting it nationally?

Reactions: GamecockWarrior
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT