ADVERTISEMENT

CJ Spiller new Clemson rb coach

CCUIrmo

Jul 15, 2010
I guess they will all start running out of bounds when someone gets within 3-4 yds of them now. Just sting the defense out along line of scrimmage and they won’t go anywhere.
Also Tony Elliot moving to tight ends. Assuming still overall OC and spearman moving off the field. Dabo must be trying to jump start things after two years of playoff performances.

tenor.gif

I guess they will all start running out of bounds when someone gets within 3-4 yds of them now. Just sting the defense out along line of scrimmage and they won’t go anywhere.
Also Tony Elliot moving to tight ends. Assuming still overall OC and spearman moving off the field. Dabo must be trying to jump start things after two years of playoff performances.
Spiller just got inducted into the college football hall of fame

Spiller just got inducted into the college football hall of fame

The dude was soft. Ask Darian Stewart that ‘lit his ass up’ late 3rd quarter 2009 in WB. DS knocked the snot out of ‘Spillman’, he fumbled, walked off the field, took his helmet off, sat on the bench, put a towel over his head, and never returned. Great athlete, avoided contact, ie: ran out of bounds quite often. Hey, kept him healthy, I assume?

The dude was soft. Ask Darian Stewart that ‘lit his ass up’ late 3rd quarter 2009 in WB. DS knocked the snot out of ‘Spillman’, he fumbled, walked off the field, took his helmet off, sat on the bench, put a towel over his head, and never returned. Great athlete, avoided contact, ie: ran out of bounds quite often. Hey, kept him healthy, I assume?
I’d take a “soft “ player like that any day

In other words, he was the offensive equivalent of Deon Sanders.

Reactions: WingchunCock
Seriously, a Gamecock fan making fun of a college football hall of fame player. Oh the irony and complete lack of self-awareness.

Not making fun of the guy. Great athlete avoided contact. Smart perhaps? I watched him do a Heisman pose after returning the opening KO for a TD vs USC in 2009. Late third quarter, Darian Stewart knocked the shit out of him, separating him from the ball, ie: a fumble. He looked anything but Heisman like after that. Took his helmet off, sat down, and placed a towel over his head, and never returned. I watched him thru my binoculars until 0:00 was on the clock. He was hurting, but I don’t blame him, he got ‘lit up’ by a ten year NFL safety.

Seriously, a Gamecock fan making fun of a college football hall of fame player. Oh the irony and complete lack of self-awareness.
As a gamecock fan, I honestly think Clemson has had better all around running backs since then. The one leaving now for starters. Spiller was fast, real fast but he benefited from a good offense and weak conference. Big 10 or SEC and he doesn’t do near as well

Just because he made HoF doesn't mean he wasn't soft. Only his freshman and senior years are noteworthy as a running back, and quite frankly, if not for his special teams stats, he is certainly not worthy of HoF consideration. #butwhatdoIknowIamonlyaGamecockfanwhohasneverseenaqualityrunningback

Reactions: suncock

Same can be said about Prim
Id take a player like Lattimore over Spiller any day. May have gotten hurt more but it’s because he played to contact not play to avoid contact.

And just what is he doing for us now?

As a gamecock fan, I honestly think Clemson has had better all around running backs since then. The one leaving now for starters. Spiller was fast, real fast but he benefited from a good offense and weak conference. Big 10 or SEC and he doesn’t do near as well

The weak conference is so overrated. UofSC only championship trophy ever is from the same weak conference with a 7-4, 6-0 record in 1969. CJ Spiller was a 5 star RB coming out of high school, was a first round NFL draft pick and now is in the college football Hall of fame in only his second year of eligibility to be inducted in the College Football Hall of Fame. When asked by the BOT 12 years ago what was Clemson going to do to become like the blue bloods of College football, Dabo responded, I don't want to be like Alabama, Michigan, USC, ND or Ohio St, I want Clemson to set the standard and for the Blue bloods to be like Clemson. As much as Steve Spurrier Changed college football from a X and O standpoint Dabo Swinney for the last 10 years and present day as changed the Culture/family oriented model of college football. Dabo has maintained ex Clemson players on his staff ( position coaches, OC or GA) through out is coaching career at Clemson. Nobody knows how Spiller is going to be as a position coach or how well he can recruit. Without a doubt he has a great story to tell and he will definitely be able to sell Clemson and the total experience he went through as a student athlete who had success with the coach who recruited him who is the head coach of Clemson. look no further Than the UofSC ( Erik Kimrey, Conor Shaw and Byron Jerideau) if you can't beat them, join them.

The weak conference is so overrated. UofSC only championship trophy ever is from the same weak conference with a 7-4, 6-0 record in 1969. CJ Spiller was a 5 star RB coming out of high school, was a first round NFL draft pick and now is in the college football Hall of fame in only his second year of eligibility to be inducted in the College Football Hall of Fame. When asked by the BOT 12 years ago what was Clemson going to do to become like the blue bloods of College football, Dabo responded, I don't want to be like Alabama, Michigan, USC, ND or Ohio St, I want Clemson to set the standard and for the Blue bloods to be like Clemson. As much as Steve Spurrier Changed college football from a X and O standpoint Dabo Swinney for the last 10 years and present day as changed the Culture/family oriented model of college football. Dabo has maintained ex Clemson players on his staff ( position coaches, OC or GA) through out is coaching career at Clemson. Nobody knows how Spiller is going to be as a position coach or how well he can recruit. Without a doubt he has a great story to tell and he will definitely be able to sell Clemson and the total experience he went through as a student athlete who had success with the coach who recruited him who is the head coach of Clemson. look no further Than the UofSC ( Erik Kimrey, Conor Shaw and Byron Jerideau) if you can't beat them, join them.
Cluck Dabo.....

Reactions: Horseshoe 04

I remember that hit. He basically quit the game after D Stew stuck him

Dabo simply did what he was doing at Bama before that...paying players ...the culture family stuff is way overblown.

Reactions: redrogers
Dabo simply did what he was doing at Bama before that...paying players ...the culture family stuff is way overblown.

Yea, my bad I easily forget about Dabo paying players. As far as the culture family stuff I didn't mention Shaq Wilson. I also didn't mention ex players who excepted coaching positions at their alma mater recently. Dre Bly, DB (DB coach) at NC who helped them sign 5 star DB Toney Grimes, 2020 class, Ed Reed S ( assistant coach) at UM helped Miami sign 5 star DB James Williams, 2021 and Tracy Rocker who just recently went back home to UA to be their DL coach( this was a point instead of disrespect) It seems a lot of programs are bringing in ex players to be involved with their football programs. If Shane Beamer ROI is able to win the SEC conference championships 6 years in a row and 2 NC in 12 years because of having the right culture on and off the field with him obviously leading the program, would you take it?

Reactions: Zann77 and Brace1
You sound ignorant. Lattimore was a great worker and very hard-nosed, but he didn't have the raw talent Spiller had. I've never seen a more explosive player. His senior year, I seem to remember he had a TD from 50+ yards out in almost every game. He had something like 2,800 total yards and 21 touchdowns. Teams just kicked it out of bounds and took the penalty rather than letting him try to return it (he scored a TD on 20% of his kickoff returns). That included South Carolina in that game. The kicker at the time kicked it deep to him and he returned it for a TD that got called back. Spurrier ripped into the kid and all the other kicks were out of bounds. And those Clemson teams did not have much talent around him. 3 Star offensive linemen, Kyle Parker, and other than Jacoby Ford, their best receiver was some random guy named Michael Palmer. I can't imagine his stats if he played with the recent Clemson teams. You have to think he'd be better than Etienne.

Lattimore was great, but was so injury prone. He had two pretty bad injuries his freshman year, tore his knee in October of his sophomore year, and then of course had his career basically ended his junior year. Spurrier was pretty despicable for using him like a workhorse in 2012 when it was clear his knee wasn't 100%.
That random player, Michael Palmer, was one of Dabos first recruits. Was a two star who ended up in the NFL for several years

You sound ignorant. Lattimore was a great worker and very hard-nosed, but he didn't have the raw talent Spiller had. I've never seen a more explosive player. His senior year, I seem to remember he had a TD from 50+ yards out in almost every game. He had something like 2,800 total yards and 21 touchdowns. Teams just kicked it out of bounds and took the penalty rather than letting him try to return it (he scored a TD on 20% of his kickoff returns). That included South Carolina in that game. The kicker at the time kicked it deep to him and he returned it for a TD that got called back. Spurrier ripped into the kid and all the other kicks were out of bounds. And those Clemson teams did not have much talent around him. 3 Star offensive linemen, Kyle Parker, and other than Jacoby Ford, their best receiver was some random guy named Michael Palmer. I can't imagine his stats if he played with the recent Clemson teams. You have to think he'd be better than Etienne.

Lattimore was great, but was so injury prone. He had two pretty bad injuries his freshman year, tore his knee in October of his sophomore year, and then of course had his career basically ended his junior year. Spurrier was pretty despicable for using him like a workhorse in 2012 when it was clear his knee wasn't 100%.
Lattimore was best offensive player while he was here and Spurrier basically robbed him of an NFL career running him 30-40times a game. Lattimore is such a humble great person. My buddies little daughter met him in HS at a football game and she is 16 now and Lattimore is still her all time favorite without a doubt.

Reactions: 76MACC

Spiller was a phenomenal all around player and deserved every bit of the hype he got, but I thought he was overrated as just a running back.

Another tater wrong again. Spiller returned it for a TD after a penalty on us gave him another chance. Spiller breaks NCAA kickoff mark | The State

Wrong again, 7 TD's in 74 attempts isn't 20%. I'll let u do the math. C.J. Spiller College Stats | College Football at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

He was good yes, but he seriously avoided any type of physicality. You never saw him running through a tackler, he usually cut one way and if didn’t get the corner he just kept up going out of bounds. It’s ok if you think I’m ignorant but while yes spiller was good, he was talent and we all know talent doesn’t equal coaching ability. He may work and Dabonusually makes good choices but he can’t expect these players to have his speed so if not how will he coach them up? His style was speed, not overall image ability.

He was good yes, but he seriously avoided any type of physicality. You never saw him running through a tackler, he usually cut one way and if didn’t get the corner he just kept up going out of bounds. It’s ok if you think I’m ignorant but while yes spiller was good, he was talent and we all know talent doesn’t equal coaching ability. He may work and Dabonusually makes good choices but he can’t expect these players to have his speed so if not how will he coach them up? His style was speed, not overall image ability.
He may help to attract similar type players. I hope not.

Coaches don't just coach those with 'their' same ability. Check, some coaches were terrible players.

Coaches have to be able to communicate and maximize talent in those they are coaching.

The weak conference is so overrated. UofSC only championship trophy ever is from the same weak conference with a 7-4, 6-0 record in 1969.

Yea we know. It’s easy as hell to win in the ACC. That’s why we have one, and don’t have one in the SEC. By coming to another teams board and trying to be a ****, you proved his point.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT