ADVERTISEMENT

Clark Schmidt OUT for Remainder of Season

Jerry might want to start considering a new pitching approach-like trying to rely on more than 5-6 arms every season. Something he's done since his first stint with Ray.

Reactions: gacock and USCAndy
He wasn't over used, he pitched 1 day a week. Highest pitch count about 110 or so. Just an injury that happens, bad luck for Clark, hope he recovers and has a great mlb career. Really hurts us going further though.

He wasn't over used, he pitched 1 day a week. Highest pitch count about 110 or so. Just an injury that happens, bad luck for Clark, hope he recovers and has a great mlb career. Really hurts us going further though.
I'm not blaming Meyers for Schmidt injury. Only reason he wasn't given 130 pitch count is because Crowe went down with Tommy John's and he cut back on starter's pitch counts.

Every major league baseball team is desperately trying to figure out the reasons for pitchers tearing their UCL. It's a massive effort, and it's not yet successful. To blindly make a statement about overuse being the reason for the injury is just speculation, with no basis in fact.

Determining overuse would depend on a pitcher's mechanics I would guess. We may never get answers to this kind of problem.

Every major league baseball team is desperately trying to figure out the reasons for pitchers tearing their UCL. It's a massive effort, and it's not yet successful. To blindly make a statement about overuse being the reason for the injury is just speculation, with no basis in fact.
Where did I say that? I said Meyers depends on too few pitchers on the staff.

Pitchers throw thousands of baseballs over a life time and just like golfers develop back problems pitches develop arm and shoulders problems. That's why they demand the big bucks because they never know when they will throw their last pitch. Worn out arms are the baseball pitchers concussion problem compared to football. The good news is TJS can overhaul his arm and get him back in the game over time. The bottom line is the human arm wasn't made to throw a baseball or anything else for 20 yrs. In the old days we just called it throwing your arm away.

Pitchers throw thousands of baseballs over a life time and just like golfers develop back problems pitches develop arm and shoulders problems. That's why they demand the big bucks because they never know when they will throw their last pitch. Worn out arms are the baseball pitchers concussion problem compared to football. The good news is TJS can overhaul his arm and get him back in the game over time. The bottom line is the human arm wasn't made to throw a baseball or anything else for 20 yrs. In the old days we just called it throwing your arm away.

knuckleball pitchers

Arms weren't built to throw the ball at 95-99 mph. Once pitchers got stronger and had better training the velocity went up and so did the torn UCL's. Unfortunately it's a reality for power pitchers. Thought Clarke had a strained oblique earlier in the year and not an arm issue like a poster said. First arm trouble came against Florida after pitching nowhere close to 100 pitches.

1. USCBatgirl21Well-Known Member

DAMN!!!!!

This is what I was worried when he went out on Thursday...

Thank you Jerry Meyers!!!

Over use our pitching staff!!!
    I'm glad you said it this time and not me. :D

27 Today at 11:57 AM

roosterbell and world famous 3rd base hecklers like this.

These people are the least informed posters in this forum. This had nothing to do with number of pitches. It could have happened on the FIRST pitch. Schmidt had thrown 84 pitches. Throwing overhand isn't natural for an arm. Injuries occur all the time. Had nothing to do with Jerry Meyers. Hope you're going to reprimand O'Sullivan, since Faedo threw 125 pitches in that game.

1. USCBatgirl21Well-Known Member

DAMN!!!!!

This is what I was worried when he went out on Thursday...

Thank you Jerry Meyers!!!

Over use our pitching staff!!!
    I'm glad you said it this time and not me. :D

27 Today at 11:57 AM

roosterbell and world famous 3rd base hecklers like this.

These people are the least informed posters in this forum. This had nothing to do with number of pitches. It could have happened on the FIRST pitch. Schmidt had thrown 84 pitches. Throwing overhand isn't natural for an arm. Injuries occur all the time. Had nothing to do with Jerry Meyers. Hope you're going to reprimand O'Sullivan, since Faedo threw 125 pitches in that game.
You really need to learn what sarcasm is.

You aren't using sarcasm. You have a personal agenda...so does some of the other people in this forum. If an informed baseball fan looked at Carolina's pitching numbers over the years, they would call the staff a total success. Tops in ERA, tops in strike outs and tops in fewest hits allowed. This has nothing to do with the name of the pitching coach. That is NOT relevant!

Overuse occurs on the youth levels. The elite players play weekly it seems. If their team is not playing one week, they are asked to fill in with another team. I see it often. Just look at Nolan Ryan and Catfish Hunter as examples, pitched 300 innings per year, never had arm issues, mainly because travel ball wasn't as prevalent as it is now for young kids. Nolan Ryan has 27 complete games in one year and Catfish Hunter once threw 227 pitches in a game.

Nekro extended his career with it.
I wished I could have learned to pitch like Nekro, I blew out my arm and tried to make a comeback with tryouts with the Braves and Mets...

I was taught to throw a curve ball at a young age and messed up my elbow...

1383.gif

Phil Niekro...

THANK YOU!!!!

I never mention grammar on any forum, but for some reason, misspelling someone's name...Gets to me!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT