ADVERTISEMENT

Classy Kentucky fan calls Columbia a dump

Charleston has one advantage most Southern cities of similar size do not have. All its city leaders have to do is whistle and the tourists come running - and they don't break a sweat doing what they do so well. Actually, they haven't even scratched the surface in the hospitality area. Joe Riley got the 'show oN the road' with Spoleto back in thw 70's.
You gotta know how and when to navigate the city. Short cuts abound, frontage roads, back roads through subdivisions but most important is timing your trips. Rush hour into town slacks off by 8:45 but leaving town traffic starts by 4:00. Make the first green light on Assembly and Gervais and you'll make the rest to Elmwood. Only take the major downtown streets traveling east and west. Avoid Harbison from Thanksgiving to Christmas unless you know the subdivision short cuts. If folks would learn not to rubberneck interstate traffic would flow so much better.

Good post! I follow all of your suggestions when leaving Columbia. Man, I can get out and onto I-20 West in a flash, and then . . . . I get off on the US378 Lexington and BAM! It's like 'Little San Fernando Valley' but my friends in my old hometown (Charleston) laugh - they have to navigate I-526! LOL!

Last edited:
Charleston has one advantage most Southern cities of similar size do not have. All its city leaders have to do is whistle and the tourists come running - and they don't break a sweat doing what they do so well. Actually, they haven't even scratched the surface in the hospitality area. Joe Riley got the 'show oj

Good post! I follow all of your suggestions when leaving Columbia. Man, I can get out and onto I-20 West in a flash, and then . . . . I get off on the US378 Lexington and BAM! It's like 'Little San Fernando Valley' but my friends in my old hometown (Charleston) laugh - they have to navigate I-526! LOL!

Hospitality in Chucktown is almost nonexistent.
Give me Nawlins any day...It's always service with a smile.

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
Hospitality in Chucktown is almost nonexistent.
Give me Nawlins any day...It's always service with a smile.

Charleston is America's Most Friendly City. On the other hand, I've never been treated rudely by the locals in Nawlins - maybe it's my Charleston accent plus the ability to properly pronounce the city's name - 'Nawwlins'.The locals think I'm a native!

Reactions: Cock In Space
Charleston is America's Most Friendly City. On the other hand, I've never been treated rudely by the locals in Nawlins - maybe it's my Charleston accent plus the ability to properly pronounce the city's name - 'Nawwlins'.The locals think I'm a native!

Years back, I was looking at the straw baskets in the market and one of those women weavers almost took my head off.

This thread reminds me why I hate Kentucky. Their state borders Illinois, Indiana and Ohio. Nothing but Yankee trash.

Ahhh!

And much of the South has that border.

I enjoyed as an elected official and prosecutor reminding our buckeye transplants that the Interstates all had northbound lanes that could take them home.

But we tend to civilize them one-at-a-time.

One of my best buds is from up-State New York. He no longer even visits back up there.

If you are staying in the Red Roof Inn off Two Notch Road or some place like that, then YES you will get a bad impression of Columbia. lol.

No offense taken.
Just used to better food than is found in Columbia.
Like today in Jupiter, Florida. Had Italian for lunch that cannot be found many places outside of NYC.

Many Columbian's have an inferiority complex and are quickly offended when the attributes of other cities are rated superior to what Cola can offer. It's ok and expected, but small minded.

Man! I will bet the folks in Chicago and San Francisco are laughing their ass off. There are some really good Italian eatery’s out side NY.

No offense to you, but Columbia is not a great dining town. New Orleans, NYC, San Francisco, Toronto, Chicago are great dining towns.

Oh yeah, people in Columbia think Groucho's is a real Jewish deli.
Columbia has superb dining spots!
Mr Friendlys
Colas
Motor Supply
Etc.

Columbia has superb dining spots!
Mr Friendlys
Colas
Motor Supply
Etc.

You left out Rush's, Labrasca's, Groucho's and Andy's Deli's, Yesterdays, Rockaways, and Maurice's...those are the REAL treasures of Columbia. Wish Herb's Grill, Edna's, an a few other places still existed in Columbia. These places were there when I grew up on Trenholm Road, and lived on Broad River Road for several years.

Boy that brings back awesome memories. That was the song on the beach in Myrtle in 75. Amazing how a song can take you back. The sounds and even the smells. The wind blowing, the smell of Hawaiian Tropic and Coppertone in the air, and the sound of the plane engine pulling the sign down the beach advertising some cheap tee shirt sale at Wings.

Boy that brings back awesome memories. That was the song on the beach in Myrtle in 75. Amazing how a song can take you back. The sounds and even the smells. The wind blowing, the smell of Hawaiian Tropic and Coppertone in the air, and the sound of the plane engine pulling the sign down the beach advertising some cheap tee shirt sale at Wings.

Predominate among my Myrtle thoughts was how I would be able to score with two girls in one night

Reactions: SportsFan482
https://kentucky.forums.rivals.com/threads/just-got-back-from-columbia-notes.304583/
"-Place is a dump. I forgot what a h*** hole that town is. Athens, Clemson, Gainesville, even Knoxville is nicer. No sites to see, no history, no beautiful skyline, buildings never got upgraded and it still looks like 1975."

Nice UK fan, hope he enjoyed the beatdown. I hope we go on another 10 year win streak against them.

I would think the same if my team got super raped...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT