ADVERTISEMENT

Clempson fans in Charlotte for Texans vs Panthers

vehemon

Sep 2, 2010
Charlotte, NC
So... there was a decent amount of Clempson fans in Charlotte last night for the preseason game.

There were a lot of Panther fans around that noticed and were.... 'wtf?'.

Watson scored a touchdown and you heard them cheer. Fast forward, the first thing I heard on the trading floor today was that Clempson fans are a bunch of tools for cheering for the Texans/Watson.

Assumption: Clempson lost quiet a few average/Panthers fans last night for showing up in orange.

So... there was a decent amount of Clempson fans in Charlotte last night for the preseason game.

There were a lot of Panther fans around that noticed and were.... 'wtf?'.

Watson scored a touchdown and you heard them cheer. Fast forward, the first thing I heard on the trading floor today was that Clempson fans are a bunch of tools for cheering for the Texans/Watson.

Assumption: Clempson lost quiet a few average/Panthers fans last night for showing up in orange.
I was there it was nauseating, However Byrd stole the show, he looked like the best player on the field last night, albeit against 2nd stringers..

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article166407972.html

Clemson fans aren't allowed to go cheer for the best player in their history? Why do I have a feeling that if they weren't there they would be criticized for not showing up?

Reactions: griffgolf
Clemson fans aren't allowed to go cheer for the best player in their history? Why do I have a feeling that if they weren't there they would be criticized for not showing up?
I'm not defending the possibility of Gamecocks showing up for a preseason game cheering for an explayer.

With that said, I don't think you would notice that much of a difference in the stadium if Clowney had sacked someone last night.

And to your last point... if Gamecock fans would have shown up in masss to cheer on a team that's not the Panthers; I'm absolutely positive they would have gotten the same response.

Again the point of the thread; lots of Clempson fans showed up to a preseason game and received a negative opinion from a lot of Panther fans.

That's the fact

I don't see a problem with it at all. You think any of our fans were there cheering for Clowney? I imagine so. If you purchase a ticket I think you should be able to cheer for whoever you want as long as you're not being obnoxious.

I don't think you got the context of my post. If preseason is that meaningless; that only increases my statement on Clempson fans being there.
And you missed my point. It's a meaningless preseason game so why would any fan hold another fan "accountable" for cheering for an old college hero? By definition the games don't count. Regular season? Different story.

I don't see a problem with it at all. You think any of our fans were there cheering for Clowney? I imagine so. If you purchase a ticket I think you should be able to cheer for whoever you want as long as you're not being obnoxious.
I was there, i was pulling For Clowney and Joseph, i didnt wear a Clowney jersey, i had on Panthers gear!! His point is, He can speak for himself, the way i understand it is if you are pulling for the Texans wear Texans gear, if you are pulling for Panthers wear Panthers gear. I would not have gone to Clowney;s first game in Columbia wearing a South Pointe Jersey..

Again the point of the thread; lots of Clempson fans showed up to a preseason game and received a negative opinion from a lot of Panther fans.

That's the fact

How many of those Panther fans do you think are Tarheel, Wolfpack, Demon Deacon, or our fans who probably already hated Watson from him dominating him for the last 3 years. They probably already had a negative opinion on him before the game started.

That's the fact
If Clowney had led his team to a National Championship last year, and his first pre-season game was at the stadium closest to his school (Charlotte), then absolutely you would have Gamecock fans in droves coming out to cheer him on.

Add the facts that Ben Boulware was there playing for the Panthers... Hopkins, Reader and Watkins playing for the Texans... I'm surprised there weren't even more Clemson fans there.

Regardless, I doubt those Clemson fans will lose much sleep about negative opinions from a few Panther fans.

How many of those Panther fans do you think are Tarheel, Wolfpack, Demon Deacon, or our fans who probably already hated Watson from him dominating him for the last 3 years. They probably already had a negative opinion on him before the game started.
and NONE of those Tarheel, wolfpack, etc etc wore Tarheel or Wolfpack jerseys.

Reactions: Lakecock1
I'm not defending the possibility of Gamecocks showing up for a preseason game cheering for an explayer.

With that said, I don't think you would notice that much of a difference in the stadium if Clowney had sacked someone last night.

And to your last point... if Gamecock fans would have shown up in masss to cheer on a team that's not the Panthers; I'm absolutely positive they would have gotten the same response.

That's the fact
Why does Clemson care about the opinion of Panthers' fans again?

That's the fact

OH NO!

Is there some percentage of Panther fans that you have to keep happy in order to have a good college football team? Just wondering what the actual consequence might be of negative Panther fan opinions.

Reactions: Clemsonbo
There are a lot of Clemson fans in Charlotte. I live here. Many of them are probably also Panthers fans.

Let's say, hypothetically, that Connor Shaw's first game as a professional was a preseason game against the Panthers. And, hypothetically, it was his first game since winning the national championship against...mmm...Ohio State. And, hypothetically, ten or so thousand fans showed up in Shaw unis to cheer him on and welcome him home. And, once again, hypothetically...mmm...Skai Moore was a Panthers rookie and you cheered him on too. Would you care what some random Panthers fan thought about that? No, you wouldn't.

Those Panthers fans have obviously never been to a Braves game against _____ (fill in that blank with just about any northern team, but especially Chicago).

Half the time Braves fans are outnumbered by the opposing team's fans, most of whom probably call metro Atlanta home these days (damn yankees).

Byrd looked good, so did that backup QB.

Watson looked damn good. He's just a natural born football player. Wish he'd played for Gamecocks, and that's the highest compliment I can give a player.

Reactions: griffgolf
I was there, i was pulling For Clowney and Joseph, i didnt wear a Clowney jersey, i had on Panthers gear!! His point is, He can speak for himself, the way i understand it is if you are pulling for the Texans wear Texans gear, if you are pulling for Panthers wear Panthers gear. I would not have gone to Clowney;s first game in Columbia wearing a South Pointe Jersey..

That's assuming everyone in attendance is actually a fan of one of those teams. People do actually go to pro games to see certain players when they aren't a fan of either team playing. I'd go to a Texans game to see Clowney, but I'm not going to go out and buy Texans gear for it. Honestly, I'd probably wear Gamecock gear as that would stand out more to JDC, if I got a chance to get near him at some point.

Now if I get a chance to see my Redskins this year, DJ will just have to pick me out of the crowd in my Brad Edwards Redskins jersey :cool:.

A few SC fans did the same for Clowney. Granted not as many and it wasn't talked about (or ridiculed) mainly because the game wasn't played 2 hours away. But I've seen gamecock gear at Clemson bowl games and games like FSU and I've seen Clemson gear at SC games. I don't see an issue as long as your motive is not provoking other fans. You wear to colors of the team you pull for even if you are at a different game. Maybe they are not Texan fans or Panther fans...or even NFL fans, but just used it as an opportunity to cheer for and wish success to Clemson players on both teams.

Reactions: colatiger803
If Clowney had led his team to a National Championship last year, and his first pre-season game was at the stadium closest to his school (Charlotte), then absolutely you would have Gamecock fans in droves coming out to cheer him on.

Add the facts that Ben Boulware was there playing for the Panthers... Hopkins, Reader and Watkins playing for the Texans... I'm surprised there weren't even more Clemson fans there.

Regardless, I doubt those Clemson fans will lose much sleep about negative opinions from a few Panther fans.
Wasn't a few.

Good point, still... just making an observation on what I was hearing.

Overall, Clempson fans can act how they want to act. But stuff like this is what gets a fan base into the realm of 'casually hated'. If that's what you want, cool.

Lots of people hate Georgia because of their fan base.
Lots of people hate Ohio State because of their fan base.

Stuff like what I saw/heard is what would eventually push Clempson into that category.

My few Clempson fans here in Charlotte were a little embarrassed if that means anything.

A few SC fans did the same for Clowney. Granted not as many and it wasn't talked about (or ridiculed) mainly because the game wasn't played 2 hours away. But I've seen gamecock gear at Clemson bowl games and games like FSU and I've seen Clemson gear at SC games. I don't see an issue as long as your motive is not provoking other fans. You wear to colors of the team you pull for even if you are at a different game. Maybe they are not Texan fans or Panther fans...or even NFL fans, but just used it as an opportunity to cheer for and wish success to Clemson players on both teams.
I completely understand that but I've heard enough stories from friends that went to the game.

There were Clempson fans provoking other Panther fans there. My original comment was simply stating facts from those stories. What happen last night did not put Clempson in a good light to a lot of people in Charlotte.

In the long run, it definitely doesn't help recruiting in Rock Hill/Charlotte areas when things like that happen.

The PGA Championship is in Charlotte right now too so there's a hell of a lot of media walking around.

And you missed my point. It's a meaningless preseason game so why would any fan hold another fan "accountable" for cheering for an old college hero? By definition the games don't count. Regular season? Different story.
There was more than 'cheering' going on for an old college hero. Taunting Panthers fans while wearing Clempson shirts is just plain weird.

I completely understand that but I've heard enough stories from friends that went to the game.

There were Clempson fans provoking other Panther fans there. My original comment was simply stating facts from those stories. What happen last night did not put Clempson in a good light to a lot of people in Charlotte.

In the long run, it definitely doesn't help recruiting in Rock Hill/Charlotte areas when things like that happen.

The PGA Championship is in Charlotte right now too so there's a hell of a lot of media walking around.

That's quite a leap. Clemson recruiting is now going to suffer bc their fans show up to support their best ever player in his first ever NFL preseason game.

Oh the horror!

There was more than 'cheering' going on for an old college hero. Taunting Panthers fans while wearing Clempson shirts is just plain weird.

Gamecock fans reporting that Clemson fans were taunting Panther fans...it's just like all of the "hard evidence" of blatant cheating at CU revealed on this board. Fans will always find fault in what rival fans do / wear / say. I am sure there were rear Panther fans provoking real Texan fans too, but you won't read about it here. I've never been to a game where the actions/words of a fans wasn't embarrassing for the fan base.

Gamecock fans reporting that Clemson fans were taunting Panther fans...it's just like all of the "hard evidence" of blatant cheating at CU revealed on this board. Fans will always find fault in what rival fans do / wear / say. I am sure there were rear Panther fans provoking real Texan fans too, but you won't read about it here. I've never been to a game where the actions/words of a fans wasn't embarrassing for the fan base.
Its shocking to find anti-Clemson bias on a South Carolina board. (we hate them btw)

Reactions: cockofdawn
That's quite a leap. Clemson recruiting is now going to suffer bc their fans show up to support their best ever player in his first ever NFL preseason game.

Oh the horror!
Being melodramatic don't prove me wrong.

Again, it wasn't the fact that they showed up. That's a good thing for them.

It was the following that was happening:
Clempson fans wearing orange and causing problems with Panther fans
Non college football fans mention multiple times to me this morning that they ran into a lot of rude Clempson fans

The fact that this is coming from a preseason game makes it even more weird.

Holy crap, Oz you typically have a lot of sane posts on here but are you really going the 'social justice warrior approach' to discuss a post? I stated facts and now I'm supposed to argue/discuss all the realms of scenarios of who taunts who? Let's bring in some random discussions from other threads that have no correlation to what was said. Am I supposed to give a summary of every interaction that went on in that stadium so that it completely covers what happened that day? Is that the precipice for me mentioning something that is anti-Clempson? Do I need to make sure I cover everyone's feelings?

Multiple non-gamecock fans approached me today and told me that they encountered quiet a few rude/obnoxious Clempson fans at the Panthers game. Simple is that.

I was at the game. Section 516 row 25. Were there lots of Clemson fans? Yes. Did they cause any problems or act stupid? Not around us. There were lots of Clowney jerseys and cheers for Byrd. Non issue.

If you want to continue pushing the stereotype of a Clempson fan being a trashy redneck, by all means continue doing what you do best.
I'm not pushing anything. I was just wondering why the opinion of some Panther fans matters in the least to Clemson fans. They're there supporting the guy who won them a national championship. Is it REALLY that weird?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT