ADVERTISEMENT

CLEMSON according to Jeff Sagrin's Football Computer Poll......

So had App State beaten Ga Southern (Or whomever they lst too) they should be in Playoffs?? What if Boise State had beaten BYU, should they be in playoffs?? That makes 4... Then what about if Memphis had beaten Temple?? All three were undefeated?? Why would Climpsun get in ahead of them?? Why would LSU get in ahead of them??

Clemson beat ten power 5 teams this year. App State beat 2. You may think that CU beat weak teams, but they did beat power 5 teams. That is the difference between CU and App State, Boise, etc.

Dumbest post of the day. Clemson is the reigning National Champion that blew out Alabama and returned all of the offensive playmakers and the defense is better than last year. What difference does it make what the strength of schedule is? Clemson’s elite no matter who they play. At the beginning of the season some said that USC had the hardest schedule. Did that make them a good team?

They can be the best team and benefit from an easy schedule. Those can both be true. What I don’t understand is why we do things to make our schedule harder despite seeing the obvious benefits up close.

To the Tater trolls. Hey y'all have a great team and a very good program. But don't act like you regular season schedule for the last 5 or 6 years has been tough. It hasn't, especially this year. This is why you are rated #3. Why is that so hard to understand ?

To the Tater trolls. Hey y'all have a great team and a very good program. But don't act like you regular season schedule for the last 5 or 6 years has been tough. It hasn't, especially this year. This is why you are rated #3. Why is that so hard to understand ?

Quite right old bean.

2nd dumbest post.... last year doesnt matter.. If Strength of schedule doesnt matter then why isnt Memphis, Boise st and App state in top ten?? How do YOU know that their defense is better?? Based on That schedule?? Your SOS absolutely should be factored in, that is a ridiculous claim...
Strength of schedule may factor in to rankings, but has absolutely no bearing on how good a team is, so your post is the 3rd dumbest of the day. A Porsche 911 can go 211 mph even when driving it through a neighborhood at 35 mph. The road doesn’t make the car, the Porsche is a Porsche regardless of where it’s driven.

Strength of schedule may factor in to rankings, but has absolutely no bearing on how good a team is, so your post is the 3rd dumbest of the day. A Porsche 911 can go 211 mph even when driving it through a neighborhood at 35 mph. The road doesn’t make the car, the Porsche is a Porsche regardless of where it’s driven.
This argument is insane! It absolutely does have a bearing on how good a team is as I have pointed out in the past. I'm not going to list the reasons again. Go back and read my last post if you want to know. And to your Porsche comparison.....do you really want to go there? OK. If you put 87 octane fuel with ethanol in your Porsche it is not going to go 211 mph. It will make a world of difference to inject it with very high octane fuel. I suppose it would be similar to injecting players with PED's. Can anyone say ostarine?

Reactions: cockofdawn
Fourth Dumbest post (You have two of top four, congrats) I NEVER SAID it has a bearing on HOW GOOD Your team is, DID I??? It does and very well should have a bearing on how your team is perceived and RANKED!! PERIOD!!!

This argument is insane! It absolutely does have a bearing on how good a team is as I have pointed out in the past. I'm not going to list the reasons again. Go back and read my last post if you want to know. And to your Porsche comparison.....do you really want to go there? OK. If you put 87 octane fuel with ethanol in your Porsche it is not going to go 211 mph. It will make a world of difference to inject it with very high octane fuel. I suppose it would be similar to injecting players with PED's. Can anyone say ostarine?
EXACTLY...

Ok genius, I went back and read your last post and it gave absolutely zero reasons why strength of schedule has anything to do with how good a team is. Not only that, but your octane example made no sense and certainly didn’t explain how a Porsche isn’t a Porsche. Are you suggesting that the quality of a team is all about what the players eat? Please oh brilliant one enlighten me as to how the strength of schedule makes one team better than another? And don’t use rankings in your answer as this has nothing to do with rankings, only how good a team is. And why don’t you start by explaining why USC isn’t the best team in the country since they initially had the toughest schedule.

Fourth Dumbest post (You have two of top four, congrats) I NEVER SAID it has a bearing on HOW GOOD Your team is, DID I??? It does and very well should have a bearing on how your team is perceived and RANKED!! PERIOD!!!
No, you didn’t, but you replied to my post that was only discussing that point, so if you are bright enough to follow this logic, then you can see that you are making a fool of yourself.

Oh now name calling... Okay, You win, I give up!! (at least all the Taters are agreeing with you)..
Actually, I was was saying that you are BRIGHT if you recognized that you were making a fool of yourself. I’m fine with the taters agreeing with me since I graduated from both schools and can also proudly call myself a tater and basque in the joy of the success of at least one of my teams.

Reactions: FJRTiger
So had App State beaten Ga Southern (Or whomever they lst too) they should be in Playoffs?? What if Boise State had beaten BYU, should they be in playoffs?? That makes 4... Then what about if Memphis had beaten Temple?? All three were undefeated?? Why would Climpsun get in ahead of them?? Why would LSU get in ahead of them??
No, I am saying the SOS should not be a factor when evaluating a team. You cant control the SOS or the OOC games because they are scheduled 5-10 years in advance. If Clemson didn't have the success of the past 5 years, they would be left out because of SOS, despite being one of the top 5 in the country. Just like 2006/2010 Boise St...2008 Utah or even 2017-18 UCF. All had great teams, had convincing wins over Power 5s and might could have won it all, but were never give a chance because of SOS.

That leads into the problem of the current system. With only 4 spots, a committee has to choose who they THINK are the best teams. And the only way to eliminate the other great teams is the SOS. I'm not saying App St or Memphis or Boise St could win it all but who's to say they couldn't...but we will never know because they are judged solely by who they play.

Reactions: DocSmith89
As much as I hate Clemson I think they are going to win another championship.

No, I am saying the SOS should not be a factor when evaluating a team. You cant control the SOS or the OOC games because they are scheduled 5-10 years in advance. If Clemson didn't have the success of the past 5 years, they would be left out because of SOS, despite being one of the top 5 in the country. Just like 2006/2010 Boise St...2008 Utah or even 2017-18 UCF. All had great teams, had convincing wins over Power 5s and might could have won it all, but were never give a chance because of SOS.

That leads into the problem of the current system. With only 4 spots, a committee has to choose who they THINK are the best teams. And the only way to eliminate the other great teams is the SOS. I'm not saying App St or Memphis or Boise St could win it all but who's to say they couldn't...but we will never know because they are judged solely by who they play.
I disagree, Just because a "team" scheduled in advance, is not the debate. The debate is THIS YEAR how good were the teams that say LSU beat vs the teams Climpsun beat.. So lets say (hypothetically) Climpsun had one loss and LSU had one loss, it was down to these two teams for the final spot with say and Undefeated Ohio st and an SEC Champ one loss Ga.... ABSOLUTELY the team with the tougher schedule should go.... How in the world could you even debate this??

Reactions: uscedge21
I disagree, Just because a "team" scheduled in advance, is not the debate. The debate is THIS YEAR how good were the teams that say LSU beat vs the teams Climpsun beat.. So lets say (hypothetically) Climpsun had one loss and LSU had one loss, it was down to these two teams for the final spot with say and Undefeated Ohio st and an SEC Champ one loss Ga.... ABSOLUTELY the team with the tougher schedule should go.... How in the world could you even debate this??
That's my entire point. When you have to subjectively eliminate teams based on who they play, it's a flawed system.

That's my entire point. When you have to subjectively eliminate teams based on who they play, it's a flawed system.
So this could possibly happen....

Ga beat LSU Georgia is IN!!!
Ohio St beats Wisconsin Ohio st is iIN!!
Oregon beats Utah Baylor beats Oklahoma
UVA beats Climpsun.. Clipmsun IS NOT IN Based on schedule,... LSU would be in before Climpsun Based on STENGTH OF SCHEDULE PERIOD!!

No doubt it is a flawed system, but when you have 130 teams with no comprehensive organization to establish, say, a regional champion, you need SOME kind of metric to compare teams with identical or nearly identical W-L records.

This, then, leads to strength of schedule, game control, "eye test", blah, blah, blah.

Ok genius, I went back and read your last post and it gave absolutely zero reasons why strength of schedule has anything to do with how good a team is. Not only that, but your octane example made no sense and certainly didn’t explain how a Porsche isn’t a Porsche. Are you suggesting that the quality of a team is all about what the players eat? Please oh brilliant one enlighten me as to how the strength of schedule makes one team better than another? And don’t use rankings in your answer as this has nothing to do with rankings, only how good a team is. And why don’t you start by explaining why USC isn’t the best team in the country since they initially had the toughest schedule.
I did not say it was enumerated in my "last" post. You cannot comprehend how playing a weak schedule can make teams better? Seriously? Nor did I say it was "all about what the players eat". I have no idea how they ingest their ostatine up there. But, yes, PED's do give players an advantage just like high powered fuel makes a Porsche preform better so that comparison is legit.

UVA beats Climpsun.. Clipmsun IS NOT IN Based on schedule,... LSU would be in before Climpsun Based on STENGTH OF SCHEDULE PERIOD!!
Under that scenario, I think the 4 CFP should be:
UGA as SEC Champ
OSU as Big 10 Champ
Oregon as PAC 12 Champ
Baylor as Big 10 Champ

2 loss Oregon & 1 loss Baylor get the nod over 3 loss / ACC Champ UVA.
LSU, Wisconsin, Clemson, Utah and Oklahoma should be out because they lost the conference title game.

I think we all agree this would be the case with the current system we have as you need some way to differentiate these teams because they cannot play each other to prove who is better.

I think what the other guy is trying to say is that just because LSU would get in due to SOS, doesnt necessarily mean they are the better team. Example, Vegas would have Clemson favored by 5-7 points over LSU because Vegas thinks Clemson is the better team. That doesnt mean the CFP committee would select Clemson, hence the system is flawed. This is why we need an expanded playoff so it can prove out on the field.

Why wouldn’t Baylor be in; Big12 champs, one loss, big end of season win, and a schedule as tough as Clemson.

Clemson played 1 team in the top 30 all year.

Of the top 25 ranked teams Clemson had the least difficult schedule except for Memphis.

Clemson had the 66th most difficult schedule.

Kings of the mighty acc and state champs but they get no respect from me.

Evidently Finebaum read my post

I think we all agree this would be the case with the current system we have as you need some way to differentiate these teams because they cannot play each other to prove who is better.

I think what the other guy is trying to say is that just because LSU would get in due to SOS, doesnt necessarily mean they are the better team. Example, Vegas would have Clemson favored by 5-7 points over LSU because Vegas thinks Clemson is the better team. That doesnt mean the CFP committee would select Clemson, hence the system is flawed. This is why we need an expanded playoff so it can prove out on the field.

Vegas sets lines based on money. IMO, LSU would beat Clemson and fairly badly. It is hard to say because Clemson's new defense hasn't played an offense with a pulse. The only decent comparison we have is that LSU and Clemson both played TAMU at home and LSU by far beat them worse. They could have won 70-0 if they hadn't let off the gas at halftime.

Vegas sets lines based on money. IMO, LSU would beat Clemson and fairly badly. It is hard to say because Clemson's new defense hasn't played an offense with a pulse. The only decent comparison we have is that LSU and Clemson both played TAMU at home and LSU by far beat them worse. They could have won 70-0 if they hadn't let off the gas at halftime.

Clemson played TAMU 2nd game of the season when Trevor Lawrence was struggling and the offense had no rhythm. The score was 24-3 before a garbage time TD against backups. This was also before all of TAMU's tight ends were injured, which I'm sure you know is a critical part of Jimbo's offense.

Clemson has played 5 top50 offenses to LSU's 3 and has FAR better defensive stats. Do you remember how many yards and points LSU gave up to Texas, Bama and Ole Miss!?! Clemson is licking their chops at a chance to play LSU, but I'm not sure Georgia doesnt beat them first.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/21

Clemson played TAMU 2nd game of the season when Trevor Lawrence was struggling and the offense had no rhythm. The score was 24-3 before a garbage time TD against backups. This was also before all of TAMU's tight ends were injured, which I'm sure you know is a critical part of Jimbo's offense.

Clemson has played 5 top50 offenses to LSU's 3 and has FAR better defensive stats. Do you remember how many yards and points LSU gave up to Texas, Bama and Ole Miss!?! Clemson is licking their chops at a chance to play LSU, but I'm not sure Georgia doesnt beat them first.

Oh, BUT iwas A&M's 7th game?? LSU would beat Taters, in a game not officiated by ACC refs!!

Of the top 25 ranked teams Clemson had the least difficult schedule except for Memphis.

Maybe Clemson should drop USC from their schedule and add App St. So that they’ll have a more impressive strength of schedule. Is it Clemson’s fault that USC and much of the ACC sucks?

Maybe Clemson should drop USC from their schedule and add App St. So that they’ll have a more impressive strength of schedule. Is it Clemson’s fault that USC and much of the ACC sucks?

The top of the mountain is a great place to be, at some point, it will crumble. Maybe not this year or next, but it will crumble. Clemson has had two generational qb's back to back.

Sad state of affairs for you sir, open your eyes!

I guess we shall see. Offensively, Texas and Alabama are light years ahead of anyone Clemson has played. Ole Miss was a one-off against a very mobile QB. The best comparison is TAMU and it isn't close. Trevor wasn't playing well, cool. What about their defense that also gave up 130 more yards? I would argue that LSU's offense is better than Clemson's and their defense performed better against TAMU, the only common opponent. Also, 3 of TAMU's top 4 receivers played and they all had less receiving yards against LSU.

Clemson had 389 total yards to TAMU's 289. The score was 17-3 at the half. Final score was 24-10.

LSU had 553 total yards to TAMU's 169. The score was 31-0 at the half. Final score was 51-7.

I hope they play. Clemson matches up much better against Ohio State and UGA than LSU. Ohio State is EXTREMELY overrated and slow.

Edit: Wanted to point out that Clemson played 4 teams in the top 50 in offense and LSU played 3, with one in the top 10(Bama). Also, unless I missed something, Clemson hasn't played a top 50 defense yet while LSU has played 4.

Last edited:
And a 3rd coming next year. Not crumbling anytime soon.

Of course! I'm sure he is ten times better than Watson, and Lawrence should be benched for him right? Since your talent only gets better each year, and never will take a step backwards... lol

Not saying Clemson isn't one of the best four teams this year, but when the ACC is actually competitive again, and the games are closer that four and five touchdowns, and a few loses start happening, it will be entertaining to see the likes of Clemson trolls stop coming on this board looking for Carolina fans to applaud how great Clemson is...

Reactions: NetworkX
Of course! I'm sure he is ten times better than Watson, and Lawrence should be benched for him right? Since your talent only gets better each year, and never will take a step backwards... lol

Not saying Clemson isn't one of the best four teams this year, but when the ACC is actually competitive again, and the games are closer that four and five touchdowns, and a few loses start happening, it will be entertaining to see the likes of Clemson trolls stop coming on this board looking for Carolina fans to applaud how great Clemson is...
I would be disturbed by a Carolina fan applauding how great Clemson is, so please don’t. It also disturbs me when USC fans get critical of Clemson’s schedule being so easy when USC is part of the reason it is so easy. Just pointing out the idiocy of some of the statements made on this board.
In regards to your statement on our incoming quarterback, why would we need to bench the best quarterback in the country? No one ever said that. Only replying to your statement that Clemson would crumble after they lose 2 generational quarterbacks. Fortunately at Clemson, we don’t always have to hope that the quarterback on the bench is better than the one playing.

I would be disturbed by a Carolina fan applauding how great Clemson is, so please don’t. It also disturbs me when USC fans get critical of Clemson’s schedule being so easy when USC is part of the reason it is so easy. Just pointing out the idiocy of some of the statements made on this board.
In regards to your statement on our incoming quarterback, why would we need to bench the best quarterback in the country? No one ever said that. Only replying to your statement that Clemson would crumble after they lose 2 generational quarterbacks. Fortunately at Clemson, we don’t always have to hope that the quarterback on the bench is better than the one playing.

I think it is about as disturbing as a Clemson troll spending all day on a Carolina message board... And if you think that Trevor is the best qb in the nation this year... that's on you. Is he one of the best in the nation? Absolutely, but take your tater loving glasses off and admit that there are two or three better than him this year and have played competition week in and week out to prove it.

Are people still bickering about the relevance of the strength of schedule of a team that whipped us senseless?

Reactions: agantt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT