ADVERTISEMENT

CLEMSON according to Jeff Sagrin's Football Computer Poll......

I think it is about as disturbing as a Clemson troll spending all day on a Carolina message board... And if you think that Trevor is the best qb in the nation this year... that's on you. Is he one of the best in the nation? Absolutely, but take your tater loving glasses off and admit that there are two or three better than him this year and have played competition week in and week out to prove it.
Joe Burrow and Justin Fields are the only close competition. Neither did that much until this year. Joe Burrow has had a great year but if he’s better than Lawerence why did it take 4 years to see it. As far as Fields is concerned, why is Lawerence an almost universal consensus first NFL draft pick over him? It doesn’t take orange tinted glasses to see Lawrence is the best college quarterback, it actually takes jealousy tinted lenses to think he’s not. As far as the week in week out competition, why don’t you worry about USC becoming that competition instead of it being the reason it’s lame. In fact, why don’t you get off this board since you have no dog in the fight and won’t even have a chance at being in it until next fall.

Reactions: agantt and FJRTiger
Joe Burrow and Justin Fields are the only close competition. Neither did that much until this year. Joe Burrow has had a great year but if he’s better than Lawerence why did it take 4 years to see it. As far as Fields is concerned, why is Lawerence an almost universal consensus first NFL draft pick over him? It doesn’t take orange tinted glasses to see Lawrence is the best college quarterback, it actually takes jealousy tinted lenses to think he’s not. As far as the week in week out competition, why don’t you worry about USC becoming that competition instead of it being the reason it’s lame. In fact, why don’t you get off this board since you have no dog in the fight and won’t even have a chance at being in it until next fall.

A dog in the fight? I think it's the other way around. Dude you are on A SOUTH CAROLINA MESSAGE BOARD!!! Nobody on this board is saying that Clemson is not a top team, NOBODY! Nobody has said Lawrence is not a good qb. I simply stated FACTS that he isn't the best qb this year, according to every "computer statistic/rating system" there is. Is he ONE of the best two or three? Yes. Is he the best? No.

By the numbers, his QBR is 6th. Tua, Justin Fields, Joe Burrow, Jalen Hurts and Tyler Huntley have better QBRs. How players project in the NFL doesn't necessarily translate to college. He is not the best QB in the nation this year by the numbers. Has anyone mentioned that every one of those QB's has played against much better defenses on average other than maybe Huntley. No glasses, just cold hard facts.

By the numbers, his QBR is 6th. Tua, Justin Fields, Joe Burrow, Jalen Hurts and Tyler Huntley have better QBRs. How players project in the NFL doesn't necessarily translate to college. He is not the best QB in the nation this year by the numbers. No glasses, just cold hard facts.
Tua, Fields, Burrow, Hurts (possibly Huntley too) all played against better defenses. .

By the numbers, his QBR is 6th. Tua, Justin Fields, Joe Burrow, Jalen Hurts and Tyler Huntley have better QBRs. How players project in the NFL doesn't necessarily translate to college. He is not the best QB in the nation this year by the numbers. Has anyone mentioned that every one of those QB's has played against much better defenses on average other than maybe Huntley. No glasses, just cold hard facts.

I believe he left the group chat after that...

I believe he left the group chat after that...
giphy.gif

Reactions: Cocky4SC
All good points. The best quarterback though isn’t always the one with the best stats. As far as qb’s are concerned draft order is a pretty good indication. After the National Championship, if he hasn’t proven himself the best as he did last year, I’ll be the first to tell you that I was wrong.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
All good points. The best quarterback though isn’t always the one with the best stats. As far as qb’s are concerned draft order is a pretty good indication. After the National Championship, if he hasn’t proven himself the best as he did last year, I’ll be the first to tell you that I was wrong.

Wait... so with that logic the stats in one game or two will determine if he was the best QB this year? Ok...

To the Tater trolls. Hey y'all have a great team and a very good program. But don't act like you regular season schedule for the last 5 or 6 years has been tough. It hasn't, especially this year. This is why you are rated #3. Why is that so hard to understand ?
Any clemson fan that argues against the weak schedule narrative is delusional. Beware, there are many. I don't understand why they take offense to the obvious. It isn't clemson's fault that the Acc has been lousier than usual these past few years. Clemson absolutely benefits from an easy path to the playoffs.

Any clemson fan that argues against the weak schedule narrative is delusional. Beware, there are many. I don't understand why they take offense to the obvious. It isn't clemson's fault that the Acc has been lousier than usual these past few years. Clemson absolutely benefits from an easy path to the playoffs.

WOW! Welcome to the discussion a Tom the TRUTH TELLING TIGER! As I've said to other Clemson people on this thread, we know that Clemson is a great team. They really are. But some of them can't accept that the conference perception as being "weak" is on the same level as the PAC12 has been the past few years, which has kept them out of the playoffs. Mind you, had Clemson slipped up this year, closest being UNC and the slim possibility UVA pulls a rabbit out of it's butt, I don't see the playoff committee putting them into the playoffs.

WOW! Welcome to the discussion a Tom the TRUTH TELLING TIGER! As I've said to other Clemson people on this thread, we know that Clemson is a great team. They really are. But some of them can't accept that the conference perception as being "weak" is on the same level as the PAC12 has been the past few years, which has kept them out of the playoffs. Mind you, had Clemson slipped up this year, closest being UNC and the slim possibility UVA pulls a rabbit out of it's butt, I don't see the playoff committee putting them into the playoffs.
I think had Clemson played USC's schedule this year, we'd have two losses. Trevor started the season with 6 interceptions or something. I think better competition would have capitalized on that so there's one possible loss. If we pulled a unc game against a Bama or Georgia, that'd be the second loss.

To the Tater trolls. Hey y'all have a great team and a very good program. But don't act like you regular season schedule for the last 5 or 6 years has been tough. It hasn't, especially this year. This is why you are rated #3. Why is that so hard to understand ?
You still have to go win ‘em. Some believe UGa should be undefeated, but they didnt make it (congrats).
But. Tbf, ACC wasnt very good this yr.

I don’t think there are many Clemson fans that think the ACC is strong this year. No one is arguing that. The point is that Clemson is a great team regardless of what the ACC is like or for that matter how poorly USC is playing. And as far as your response to my Trevor Lawerence comment, since you jumped on a reply to someone else and took me put of context, I did not not say the stats from the last games make the difference. I said that Lawerence will prove that he can beat any of the competition.

We will see when the taters face their FIRST Top 20 team this year in Ohio State... And NO resting your starters half the game while getting Back-ups valuable playing time in this one!! Lets hope Ohio State isnt beat up, we know Climpsun is well rested..

Reactions: tigertomreed
I think the ACC argument died years ago, but if you had wanted to keep it alive, it died when Carolina got blanked by Virginia and then got run over again when we lost to a dUNCe team with a true freshman QB. Now, they might struggle a bit against the Big 3, and maybe a little against Bama @ home, but smart money says Clemsin would’ve dominated our schedule for 2019, although UNC apparently would be their hardest game. Go figure. But anyway, the conference thing is beyond tired, and the only thing worse to me right now is thinking Will is a good coach, who should stay, and that firing him would set us back 5 years. Brother, we’re already there.

Well, they may have lucked out and will get to play OSU in the first round. That will get them into the NC. They do not want any part of LSU.

Clemson has a better defense than LSU, but I think Burrow will still have a better day. Burrow is a VERY good pro-style QB. He has a better completion percentage than Trevor and doesn't have quite as many good receivers. He is also more mobile than Trevor and makes better decisions with the ball. I would take Burrow over Trevor any day of the week at this point, but to be fair, Trevor is only a sophomore.

Well, they may have lucked out and will get to play OSU in the first round. That will get them into the NC. They do not want any part of LSU.

Clemson has a better defense than LSU, but I think Burrow will still have a better day. Burrow is a VERY good pro-style QB. He has a better completion percentage than Trevor and doesn't have quite as many good receivers. He is also more mobile than Trevor and makes better decisions with the ball. I would take Burrow over Trevor any day of the week at this point, but to be fair, Trevor is only a sophomore.
Vegas disagrees with you. They have Clemson favored over every CFP team. 1.5 over OSU and 4.5 over LSU. I’d go with Vegas’ choice over a casual observer as they are right more than they are wrong.

Reactions: agantt
Not really Cool Cock. He could have pointed out that easy schedules translate to blowout wins. This, in turn, leads to less injuries, more rest for starters and more playing time for backups. This creates quality depth when it is needed against a tough team. There is no question that not having to go through a meat grinder schedule like those teams of the SEC is a huge advantage for them. Unfortunately, it is a perfect storm for Clempson!

How do you explain the early/opening season game Clemson has played against aTm for 2 years, Auburn the 2 before that, and UGA the 2 before that?

Vegas disagrees with you. They have Clemson favored over every CFP team. 1.5 over OSU and 4.5 over LSU. I’d go with Vegas’ choice over a casual observer as they are right more than they are wrong.

Put your money on LSU.

Reactions: cockofdawn
One thing that people misunderstand about betting books.... they set their spread based on how they think people will bet, not based on how they think the team will perform.

That means they played one decent team all year. Doesn't change anything.

Oh no, that just takes away the argument about teams being tired from their schedule.

But it’s obvious Clemson has played and actually BEATEN about as many great teams as anyone else recently in CFB.

Whatever Clemson is doing looks to be working about as well as possible right now.
They have taken advantage of the ACC's current weakness. It allows them to rotate players and develop depth. Which makes them stronger. Playing on the national stage gets them noticed by non-regional recruits.
It's like a perpetual motion machine, it's all fallen correctly in place for them and they have taken advantage of it.
Personally I feel that Mack Brown will get UNC back into shape. Norvell will get FSU in shape and if Manny Diaz picks a good OC Miami could become good again. Face it, Miami turned into Thug U and I think Diaz is the guy to turn that around.
Pitt does have 9 national championships, none are current but they do have a great history.
As a side note I'm pleased that we have a winning record over Clemson and I'm thankful that we don'y play them very often.

Whatever the current situation is with the ACC, at each stage of conference expansion, Clemson has lobbied strongly for adding more football schools. Having a weak schedule is only an advantage if you win every game. One loss, and it becomes a problem.

The ACC has several historically strong football schools, including Miami, FSU, Louisville, and Pitt, with Ga Tech, Va Tech, and Syracuse occasionally popping up as well. This year was an unusual year for the ACC with none of the football schools being of top 25 caliber other than Clemson.

Long term, this is not a good thing for Clemson, and they know it. They will be as happy as anyone for FSU and Miami to become powers again, for Va Tech and Louisville to get back to where they were a couple of years ago, and for UNC to become solid in football for once as well and for the northern schools such as Pitt and Syracuse to become at least competitive.

Reactions: FJRTiger

Burrow more agile than Lawrence, lol

They have taken advantage of the ACC's current weakness. It allows them to rotate players and develop depth. Which makes them stronger. Playing on the national stage gets them noticed by non-regional recruits.
It's like a perpetual motion machine, it's all fallen correctly in place for them and they have taken advantage of it.
Personally I feel that Mack Brown will get UNC back into shape. Norvell will get FSU in shape and if Manny Diaz picks a good OC Miami could become good again. Face it, Miami turned into Thug U and I think Diaz is the guy to turn that around.
Pitt does have 9 national championships, none are current but they do have a great history.
As a side note I'm pleased that we have a winning record over Clemson and I'm thankful that we don'y play them very often.

Imo Clemson’s rise to dominance has been reciprocated by the ACC becoming weaker. It isn’t a fault of Clemson that the conference of weak, it’s a sign of their strength.

Edit: Wanted to point out that Clemson played 4 teams in the top 50 in offense and LSU played 3, with one in the top 10(Bama). Also, unless I missed something, Clemson hasn't played a top 50 defense yet while LSU has played 4.

LSU played Bama (7), Texas (15) and Ole Miss (29). Who am I missing?

Clemson played Wake (12), UNC (14), BC (25), UL (36), and Charlotte snuck in there at 50.

So yes, LSU played the highest rated offense of the two, but they also gave up 40 points and it would have been more if Tua wasnt injured and didnt randomly fumble untouched in the redzone.

They also gave up 38 to Texas, 37 to Ole Miss, 28 to Florida and 38 to stinking Vandy, oh and 20 to Arkansas. None of the top offenses Clemson played scored more than 20 points. There is a reason Vegas would have them favored by close to a TD. The committee knew this, so putting LSU #1 prevented them from having egg on their face with the #3 team solidly favored had they put LSU #2.

As for defenses, I agree LSU has played better. I think its 5 top50 defenses for LSU. But Clemson has played #31 TAMU and just hung 62 on #40 Virginia with the backups playing the entire 4th quarter. Will make for a crazy Championship game if the two meet in New Orleans. Crowd will certainly favor LSU.

Last edited:
Might not wanna use that argument, since he has them as the #2 program in the country...
GOT TO CORRECT YOU THERE THE # 3 TEAM IN THE COUNTRY AND THEY ARE A 1AND HALF POINT FAVORITE BY THE BOOKIES AND I' PUTTING MY MONEY ON OHIO STATE BEFORE IT GOES UP AT LEAST THEY WILL PLAYING A DEFENCE THIS GAME

Burrow more agile than Lawrence, lol

I didn't say more agile, I said more mobile. I think they are fairly even once they get out of the pocket with Trevor having somewhat of an edge, but I think Burrow is more mobile in the pocket. Either way, neither has a huge edge in that area. Burrow has a good bit better completion percentage and has thrown for a lot more yards against much better competion than Trevor all while having not quite as good as a receiving core from top to bottom as Clemson. Burrow at Clemson against that competition would have been unbelievably good this year.

Bottom line is Clemson won't have to face LSU now until the NC game. Clemson will likely pummel OSU and LSU will likely do the same to OK. I was hoping for an LSU v Clemson semi-final, but I guess it is best for the top 2 teams to meet in the NC game.

LSU played Bama (7), Texas (15) and Ole Miss (29). Who am I missing?

Clemson played Wake (12), UNC (14), BC (25), UL (36), and Charlotte snuck in there at 50.

So yes, LSU played the highest rated offense of the two, but they also gave up 40 points and it would have been more if Tua wasnt injured and didnt randomly fumble untouched in the redzone.

They also gave up 38 to Texas, 37 to Ole Miss, 28 to Florida and 38 to stinking Vandy, oh and 20 to Arkansas. None of the top offenses Clemson played scored more than 20 points. There is a reason Vegas would have them favored by close to a TD. The committee knew this, so putting LSU #1 prevented them from having egg on their face with the #3 team solidly favored had they put LSU #2.

As for defenses, I agree LSU has played better. I think its 5 top50 defenses for LSU. But Clemson has played #31 TAMU and just hung 62 on #40 Virginia with the backups playing the entire 4th quarter. Will make for a crazy Championship game if the two meet in New Orleans. Crowd will certainly favor LSU.

I don't believe any of those ACC offenses would be ranked nearly as high if they played in the SEC. Defenses are far better. The stats are very skewed because of the lack of quality defenses in that conference.

We shall see. LSU is a better team IMO. Vegas makes lines to get even money on the games. If Clemson beats OSU, which they likely will, there will be a lot of un-informed money coming in on the Tigers. Many of the same folks that think/though OSU is some great team this year will be wowed by Clemson against a supposed good team that in reality is slow as Christmas from top to bottom and whose offense is very predicatable. LSU will be the real test and if I was a betting man, I would put money on LSU in the NC game, provided no major injuries(Burrow).

GOT TO CORRECT YOU THERE THE # 3 TEAM IN THE COUNTRY AND THEY ARE A 1AND HALF POINT FAVORITE BY THE BOOKIES AND I' PUTTING MY MONEY ON OHIO STATE BEFORE IT GOES UP AT LEAST THEY WILL PLAYING A DEFENCE THIS GAME

I would take Clemson all day long with just 1.5. They will destroy OSU. OSU is the 3rd best team in the playoffs and I believe either Clemson or LSU would beat them by 10+ on a bad day.

The top of the mountain is a great place to be, at some point, it will crumble. Maybe not this year or next, but it will crumble. Clemson has had two generational qb's back to back.
oNLY
Whatever the current situation is with the ACC, at each stage of conference expansion, Clemson has lobbied strongly for adding more football schools. Having a weak schedule is only an advantage if you win every game. One loss, and it becomes a problem.

The ACC has several historically strong football schools, including Miami, FSU, Louisville, and Pitt, with Ga Tech, Va Tech, and Syracuse occasionally popping up as well. This year was an unusual year for the ACC with none of the football schools being of top 25 caliber other than Clemson.

Long term, this is not a good thing for Clemson, and they know it. They will be as happy as anyone for FSU and Miami to become powers again, for Va Tech and Louisville to get back to where they were a couple of years ago, and for UNC to become solid in football for once as well and for the northern schools such as Pitt and Syracuse to become at least competitive.
FSU, Louisville, and UNC will be getting better quickly. I hope.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT