ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson announces furloughs for thousands of employees in cost-saving measure

DaddyRooster

Jul 7, 2008
Due to loss of revenue from fall sports, thousands of employees will lose a portion of their salary for this year. The University was quick to point out that the slush fund used to lure prospective football recruits to a small racist podunk school in the middle of nowhere "was fully funded for the foreseeable future".

Meanwhile, Dabo and his gabillion dollar paycheck rolls blissfully along. :rolleyes:

Reactions: IH8FATBRAD
Didnt he take a pay cut too?

Granted if I was making 7 or so million a year, I could forgo quite a bit.
Yes. Seems I saw something in the 400k range reduction for the remainder of the year. I think he’ll manage however. The furloughs were set up on a progressive scale. I think people under 50k won’t be forced to take furlough days. As you make more you have to take more furlough days.

I do think college football has gotten too big. Too many things are dependent on the college football. When a whole town, even a small town, relies on college football for financial success, something is wrong, imo.
other than football, it’s a fishin town. gas prices have ruined that for quite some time.

Maybe the collection plate has dried up. People losing jobs I guess when they pass the collection plate all they can get is pennies. Maybe they can get a dime from the not a dime poster.

I do think college football has gotten too big. Too many things are dependent on the college football. When a whole town, even a small town, relies on college football for financial success, something is wrong, imo.

Why is something wrong if an industry has become strong enough to support many different levels of commerce? It’s not as if college football being strong takes away from some other aspect of life. It just adds to the overall economy.

Well every company is starting to do it. Some are failing due to COVID, some are just using COVID as an excuse to trim the fat so they will not take the usual heat for layoffs. All corporations periodically purge older higher paid employees and under performers. The taters are probably dong the same.

All the coaches took a 10% paycut. Came to about 8 million in savings. Dabo took about a 675k cut. The coaches cuts were voluntary but it would have been a bad look for them not to take it.

Reactions: Zann77
Due to loss of revenue from fall sports, thousands of employees will lose a portion of their salary for this year. The University was quick to point out that the slush fund used to lure prospective football recruits to a small racist podunk school in the middle of nowhere "was fully funded for the foreseeable future".

Your post is misleading stating this is due to loss of revenue from fall sports. At most colleges, athletic and general university revenues are totally seperate. Most AD's dont contribute anything to the general univesity budget and the ones that do, its not much relative to the overall budget.

University budgets are hurting due to many factors related to COVID....lost housing revenue, lost dining plan revenue, lost parking revenue, refunds of other fees to students, increased investments in technology and online delivery platforms, drops in giving and a great deal of (non-budegted) money spent on implementing COVID policies like free testing to all students and staff and large scale space renovations required for de-densification.

Now I am not saying there is not associated revenue issues related to no football but it has little direct imapct on the general university budget. Much of these budget issues would be a reality even of there was 70,000 plus showing up for a football game.

Well every company is starting to do it. Some are failing due to COVID, some are just using COVID as an excuse to trim the fat so they will not take the usual heat for layoffs. All corporations periodically purge older higher paid employees and under performers. The taters are probably dong the same.
I resemble the older higher paid employees
!

Meanwhile, Dabo and his gabillion dollar paycheck rolls blissfully along. :rolleyes:

Come on dude. If you're justb posting to post, then fine, but at least do some research before you just start typing. According to the state salary database, Dabo makes far less than Muschamp from the state/tax payer salary. He's at $245k & Muschamp is at $1.1m. The rest of each of their salaries are covered by the Gamecock Club & Iptay. Yes it is noble for both coaches to take pay cuts for the year, but don't act like he's some devil while we are the saints & saviors.

Swinney

Muschamp

Reactions: 76MACC and agantt
Your post is misleading stating this is due to loss of revenue from fall sports. At most colleges, athletic and general university revenues are totally seperate. Most AD's dont contribute anything to the general univesity budget and the ones that do, its not much relative to the overall budget.

University budgets are hurting due to many factors related to COVID....lost housing revenue, lost dining plan revenue, lost parking revenue, refunds of other fees to students, increased investments in technology and online delivery platforms, drops in giving and a great deal of (non-budegted) money spent on implementing COVID policies like free testing to all students and staff and large scale space renovations required for de-densification.

Now I am not saying there is not associated revenue issues related to no football but it has little direct imapct on the general university budget. Much of these budget issues would be a reality even of there was 70,000 plus showing up for a football game.
I have read so many articles about this I cannot remember this source but it seems to me you are correct and in addition, I think I remember that 25% of many school budgets come from student activities which as you stated are gone.

I have read so many articles about this I cannot remember this source but it seems to me you are correct and in addition, I think I remember that 25% of many school budgets come from student activities which as you stated are gone.

Yes, and the even bigger piece of this in terms of lost university revenue is housing. Colleges make lots of money on university housing. Lots. There is a reason for all the high end university housing you see popping up all over college campuses. This is where college revenue has taken a big hit.

I agree. Haven’t heard anything about Carolina doing the same. Did I miss that?

Yes. Seems I saw something in the 400k range reduction for the remainder of the year. I think he’ll manage however. The furloughs were set up on a progressive scale. I think people under 50k won’t be forced to take furlough days. As you make more you have to take more furlough days.

Swinney is losing $687,000.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT