ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson fan here, but...

I come in peace.

I’m here because I moved to Tennessee a few years ago and I have no Carolina fans around me to talk football with. I miss the banter. I miss the sarcasm. I miss the wishful thinking, the next year talk. And to be honest TigerNet is just boring.

I really want to have conversations with Carolina fans about the state of your team and what the future looks like. I’m of the opinion that you guys are ahead of schedule, and have as much talent (if not more once the commits you have sign) then you did during the Spurrier years. I’m interested to see if Muschamp can take a turn in his career these next two years and beat a good team (God knows he will have enough chances with your schedule) or if he really is just a great recruiter that should stick to the D coordinator role (FWIW I'm in this camp currently).

Excited to join the conversations. Don’t hold back on your s*%t talk, bc I sure don’t plan on it. SmokinSmile
Call us when you win back2back CWS. Until then you ain’t chit

Week 3, crazier things have happened...not betting on it by any means, but it’s not out the realm of possibilities. Not probable but not impossible.

Time will tell.

Home field advantage is certainly real, especially if we don’t have to sneak in mini bottles... :)

I’m A little shocked to hear you believe your team is now superior to the rivalry. Your presence here, along with the hundreds of Clemson fans that flock to our forums year in and year out, proves that feeling to be incorrect. Time will tell what happens this year, but we’re closer talent wise than we’ve been in a while. Just know we’re 5-5 the last 10 years, and 3 of the last 5 have been the poorest gamecock teams since Pickens was our QB...

Didn’t say we were superior or that it meant less to the fans. Go back and read my post. I said we had lots of out of state players at key positions, and like it or not it just doesn’t mean the same to them as it does to us. Same can be said for lots of players in your camp as well. Both teams recruit well outside of their footprints now, and we are not a “national” rivalry enough for kids to walk in and understand it’s importance like some other situations.

Oh and I was referring to Bentley’s performance, specifically from last year. How many Td’s and yards did he have that game? Anyways, if he can pull it together like that in all 12 games this year, we should be a top 15 team, within striking distance of any team of the country.

On the DLine keep your eyes on #52 and the return of #8 this year. JJ (#52) dropped the 30 pounds he put on last year to play out of position at DT out of depth needs, as a true freshman. The dude is crazy fast now playing at 255 on the edge.

I agree, you’ve got great talent on the d line. Should be a strength if they stay healthy. Pickens will have an immediate impact as well.

I’m looking to see Bentley put it together for back to back games before you start talking about 12 lol

I'm worried about Champ because he put together great teams at Florida and couldn't win. Then ol' Butterteeth came in and won like gangbusters until he got fired.

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
I agree, you’ve got great talent on the d line. Should be a strength if they stay healthy. Pickens will have an immediate impact as well.

I’m looking to see Bentley put it together for back to back games before you start talking about 12 lol

Lol fair enough,...Bentley stringing two in a row would be a step forward at this point. He’s been given the benefit of the doubt (arguably for too long) because he came in and played when he should have been a senior in HS....4 years ago. He’ll need to start the season lights out or folks will be calling for Joyner and Hilinski’s number in a hurry,

Reactions: TaterTater
Agree about the game last year. IF we had been better, we possibly could have caught y'all sleeping and pulled off an upset. But y'all were enough better than us that you could not care, sort of not try, and still beat us by 3 tds. I think that's the worst part. We totally balled out, caught y'all sleeping and still lost by 3 tds.

EXCUSE ME ??
I would have to totally disagree.
We had a top RUNNING back playing db because we so beaten up in the secondary !--ditto for the D LINE.

BULLARKY on Clemson "not trying", you see how they had they starters playing so much ?
Clemson KNEW it would be wise to win big (three tds) to get into the final 4.

And for this 2019, I can see a much healthier (and well-recruited D Line) stopping Clemson probably HALF of the time the Clemson offense takes the field. Having a better pass rush WITH JUST FOUR should help against the Clemson QB sensation somewhat.
(Last year our weakened defense could not help out the offense.)

Also, I am trusting that this new Gamecock offense that started to catch fire in the last third of 2018 will be even BETTER by the end of 2019.

Go ' c o c k s !!

(Summary: At Willy B--due to increased Defensive depth and talent, and due to a Q-back that doesn't have to force throws (because he KNOWS his defense is not any good), I see us giving Clemson a
35-45 fight.
Special note: IF WE GET TAVIEN FEASTER...... !

Last edited:
I only need to read one of your post to assume you’re a bored Clemson fan posing as a gamecock...

Do better.

Tatertater you nailed. We have a few closet taters here. I like your style much better. Be up front and bring it. These squirrelly closet taters make my pinkie toe hurt.

A few? We have some good ones on here that have been here a long time that real gamecocks defend when questioned. They're household names on here.

You are Ok Tater Tater and if your skin is thick enough you will be fine here. There are a few that have been around for years. Most on here just want to make sure you are not just one of the drive by tater fans that come over to gloat and insult and could care less about a civil conversation.
I think he will fit in fine with us old timers. Some of these guys are like pit bulls. They smell stupidity and attack. Some are just dumb trolls(RIP Sportssuite:(). Just take it as good as you give it and you will be fine. :cool:

I didn't read anybody else's response because here's the bottom line:

1) This years schedule is not just tough, it's beyond torture is what it is. *IF* we win vs UNC in the first game of the year, we'll have a decent chance at going 6-6 and making a bowl. (And unlike last year's bowl game, this years bowl game actually WILL NOT matter as far as outcome, because just going 6-6 will be a small miracle - and thus good enough to ignore any bowl results) But to be honest, I'm not holding out much hope for winning the opener vs UNC....and if that happens, the wheels will have already fallen off the bus with no recovery in sight. = Champ ultimately gone.

2) Let's put aside the worst case scenario mentioned above and go with the 6-6 scenario. Champ will still have to start a freshman in the 2020 season. There will be those who follow me that will talk about Joyner at QB and him not being a freshman....but Joyner is never going to be our QB and is currently wasting a spot on the bench / and our coaches are allowing it to happen. = A coaching staff that lacks the cojanas to be painfully transparent with a player.

3) Champ has some things to prove this season on the scoreboard and off. The biggest thing he must get right is playing Hilinski in the 4 games allowed, and still redshirt him. If this is not done, it's just proof Champ has no clue. Also, if we don't beat Kentucky this year, he may as well pack his bags.

(but there are plenty of spineless apologists among our fan base that will say we should give him more time - even if we go O'fer this season....here they come, in 3..2...1)

And we hire who? You act like you think Will and Co went to Georgia or Bama. Recruiting here is quite different than at those elite programs. Their biggest problems are deciding which one to take. I could also add Clemson. We are sitting between two of the top five, year in and year out, recruiters They are in our back yard. In spite of that, the talent base is improving. When SC fans think it is not, Will will be in trouble.

With that said, I do agree with you about one thing. Our teams on the field performance better not resemble the Belk Bowl effort. If it does we should make either T- Rob or Werner head coach.

And we hire who? You act like you think Will and Co went to Georgia or Bama. Recruiting here is quite different than at those elite programs. Their biggest problems are deciding which one to take. I could also add Clemson. We are sitting between two of the top five, year in and year out, recruiters They are in our back yard. In spite of that, the talent base is improving. When SC fans think it is not, Will will be in trouble.

With that said, I do agree with you about one thing. Our teams on the field performance better not resemble the Belk Bowl effort. If it does we should make either T- Rob or Werner head coach.

Agree with a lot of your points here. I’m not sold on Muschamp as a great HC yet, but not sure what a step up would like like considering the current landscape.

My fear for you guys is that you get in a rut of settling for 7-5 or 8-4 and a coach like McClendon leaves for an opportunity elsewhere. I think he is one of the more promising future coaches that could get teams to a playoff level. Once he doesn’t have the Bentley handcuffs on, your offense may take off.

I cannot blame you taters for running up the score, if we ever get the chance I would expect us to do the same thing. I think the score might have been a little closer, but given our depleted defense our coaches decided to roll the dice every time, we had nothing to lose whether you won by one point or thirty points.
I think people forget how depleted the D was last season.

It’s *TaterTater... and I’m sorry that last TD hurt your feelings. If you guys get the chance I’m sure you’ll return the favor, as you should.
Dabo says he only hopes to win by one point and then on the other hand he brags about winning by 21 points. He showed what kind of person he is by not taking a knee with 30 seconds left. It's all about Dabo and his ego. Oh yeah, up by 63-0 against Louisville he puts his son in the game to catch a TD pass to make it 70-0.

Dabo says he only hopes to win by one point and then on the other hand he brags about winning by 21 points. He showed what kind of person he is by not taking a knee with 30 seconds left. It's all about Dabo and his ego. Oh yeah, up by 63-0 against Louisville he puts his son in the game to catch a TD pass to make it 70-0.

You sound bitter lol. Some of you folks really confuse me. You want to have a heated rivalry, but then complain when one or the other doesn't take a knee, or scores too many points for your liking. You can't have both...

It might be a while, but I would expect your team to run up the score on us any chance you get, as you should.

Reactions: FJRTiger
A win over Bama seems a bit on the o_O side, but 8-4 doesn't seem far off. I'm thinking you get over the hump vs Kentucky, and then lose to us, Bama, UGA, and one more somewhere along the line. While I know y'all are still riding high on 3 touchdown loss to us last year, I think we were probably looking a bit ahead that week, and that probably doesn't bode well for you next season. Remember how many out of state players we have playing key positions, so tbh it isn't the same type of game in their mind as it is in ours. I would imagine some of those younger players will be a little more focused this time around...

Our schedule is obviously easier, but when you're on top you get everyones best and that comes with it's own challenges. I predict a great record for us, but I'd pick about same the thing if we had yours. MAYBE one regular season loss vs either Bama or UGA.

"looking a bit ahead that week". Who wouldn't have been? You had the 7 and 7 Pitt Panthers coming up next. I remember the buzz that match-up created. I'm pretty sure ESPN had that game penciled in as an "INSTANT CLASSIC".

"looking a bit ahead that week". Who wouldn't have been? You had the 7 and 7 Pitt Panthers coming up next. I remember the buzz that match-up created. I'm pretty sure ESPN had that game penciled in as an "INSTANT CLASSIC".

Was speaking more the opportunity, not the opponent. But sure, however you want to look at it...

Whether we were looking ahead or not, you guys executed offensively and played a good game.

Agree with a lot of your points here. I’m not sold on Muschamp as a great HC yet, but not sure what a step up would like like considering the current landscape.

My fear for you guys is that you get in a rut of settling for 7-5 or 8-4 and a coach like McClendon leaves for an opportunity elsewhere. I think he is one of the more promising future coaches that could get teams to a playoff level. Once he doesn’t have the Bentley handcuffs on, your offense may take off.

Before I disagree with you I would like to say that I appreciate the conversation and respect your opinion. There are those who had the same opinion about Dabo, that he was more of a figure head than a good coach. A long time ago I was listening to a Vince Dooley interview. He had won coach of the year in the SEC. I will paraphrase but he said the award says I am a good coach and I appreciate the recognition. But most coaches say that good players make good coaches. Dabo and “Clemson resources” have done that, so Dabo is a good coach, no matter if he is not involved in the play calling . We should give him credit for putting together some awesome teams. Dabo’s Success has only strengthened my belief in what Dooley said.

Dabo is a good recruiter, so is Will. Dabo let’s his coordinators run the game day offenses and defenses. So does Will. My opinion is, had Will gone to GA they would be the same good team you see today. We do compete in a much more competitive conference than the ACC., but I have said this to many gamecock fans. Clemson would be a good team in the SEC too.

As far as accepting the 7-5, 8-4 seasons. Our history causes that and you can’t change it. As long as Will is making progress he will be our coach. By the way, we all love Bryan McClendon, but he has a ways to go before head coaching. Last year was OJT. This year will be tougher. We will see if he is as good as you say.

Last edited:
Was speaking more the opportunity, not the opponent. But sure, however you want to look at it...

Whether we were looking ahead or not, you guys executed offensively and played a good game.

What opportunity? You guys lose to South Carolina you ain't goin' to the playoffs. Clemson wasn't looking
ahead. If you would have said your guys were overconfident and got caught off guard, maybe I'd buy that. The most die-hard South Carolina fan didn't expect Clemson to look as anemic as they did on defense. You looked great on offense but you played against a defense that was mostly second and third stringers.
Next year's Clemson team might be the best team that ever played college football, but before you buy tickets to the the Superdome I'd wait to see how your defense plays against somebody with a pulse.

I come in peace.

I’m here because I moved to Tennessee a few years ago and I have no Carolina fans around me to talk football with. I miss the banter. I miss the sarcasm. I miss the wishful thinking, the next year talk. And to be honest TigerNet is just boring.

I really want to have conversations with Carolina fans about the state of your team and what the future looks like. I’m of the opinion that you guys are ahead of schedule, and have as much talent (if not more once the commits you have sign) then you did during the Spurrier years. I’m interested to see if Muschamp can take a turn in his career these next two years and beat a good team (God knows he will have enough chances with your schedule) or if he really is just a great recruiter that should stick to the D coordinator role (FWIW I'm in this camp currently).

Excited to join the conversations. Don’t hold back on your s*%t talk, bc I sure don’t plan on it. SmokinSmile

Kudos. You are a brave man!

What opportunity? You guys lose to South Carolina you ain't goin' to the playoffs. Clemson wasn't looking
ahead. If you would have said your guys were overconfident and got caught off guard, maybe I'd buy that. The most die-hard South Carolina fan didn't expect Clemson to look as anemic as they did on defense. You looked great on offense but you played against a defense that was mostly second and third stringers.
Next year's Clemson team might be the best team that ever played college football, but before you buy tickets to the the Superdome I'd wait to see how your defense plays against somebody with a pulse.

I personally think if we lose to you guys and blow out Pitt, then we still get in as a 3 or 4. You guys are a good program and it's a rivalry game, so I think the committee let's us through just like Bama the year before.

Also, anemic is an accurate work to describe our defense that night. Great play calls and harder play from your guys made it a frustrating night for us fans even though we were able to score mostly every time we touched the ball.

As far as this year goes, I think we have quite a drop of defensively because of depth, especially on the d-line and and line backer. Our offense will keep us on track though allow for the defense to grow in experience.

I personally think if we lose to you guys and blow out Pitt, then we still get in as a 3 or 4. You guys are a good program and it's a rivalry game, so I think the committee let's us through just like Bama the year before.

Also, anemic is an accurate work to describe our defense that night. Great play calls and harder play from your guys made it a frustrating night for us fans even though we were able to score mostly every time we touched the ball.

As far as this year goes, I think we have quite a drop of defensively because of depth, especially on the d-line and and line backer. Our offense will keep us on track though allow for the defense to grow in experience.

You're sounding way too reasonable to dislike now, can you go back to the condescending stuff?

I think your right, the only way a SC win keeps Clemson out then or in the future is if its a one loss Tiger team and we make it a 2 loss team unless their is a bevy of undefeated teams at the time of the loss.

I'll play. Yes, there was a time when 7-5 or 8-4 would be acceptable. May even be acceptable this year. But Gamecock fans have finally begun to come around and not accept mediocre seasons which I attribute to Spurrier not only showing us that it could be done, but chastising us for cheering "good effort". I actually think Muschamp is on the clock as far as wins and losses. He can get away with 7-5 but any worse and he will take heat, IMO. There has been a shift in culture again IMO. Finally the fanbase got collectively pissed at that sh!t show in Charlotte. Good for us.

I think your right, the only way a SC win keeps Clemson out then or in the future is if its a one loss Tiger team and we make it a 2 loss team unless their is a bevy of undefeated teams at the time of the loss.

On the basis of what? They had a 2 point win against A&M, a very weak conference schedule and Furman and Georgia Southern. When your conference championship game is against a team that is 7-6, I don't care how much you win by, that isn't much of a resume.

On the basis of what? They had a 2 point win against A&M, a very weak conference schedule and Furman and Georgia Southern. When your conference championship game is against a team that is 7-6, I don't care how much you win by, that isn't much of a resume.

Just curious...who would you have put in over us then in that scenario?

I think the way South Carolina is recruiting and the coaches they have brought in, will make for one crazy bitter nail biter of game in 2021 at Willy B. I just dont see South Carolina beating a Trevor Lawrence lesd team with the talent around him and one of the best D coordinators in college football backing him up.

I personally think Clemson makes it 7 in a row, but in 2021 an experienced Hilinski or Doty (who I think will take the job) playing at home, under the lights, against a likely first year starter in DJ U. will be one heck of a game. Both teams look to be continuing to recruit at higher and higher levels and South Carolina will absolutely have the talent AND the depth to compete and win in 2021. Until then, Im hoping Clemson can ride Sunshine to another national title or two. Im enjoying the ride, but know that all good things must come to an end and you can put me in the camp that is paying close attention to what South Carolina is building and telling my Clemsom friends to prepare themselves for things to get interesting.

We just forgot the part about stopping them from scoring

SIX TRUE FRESHMEN on defense much of he second half against CU's offense, exactly what did you expect? Had USC scored the two times we had first and goal, that game would have been 49-49 late. Who knows what happens. We did not score a TD, or even attempt a FG, which would have done nothing but give us six more points. FG with our defense wasn't going to help win that game. CU bowed up on their goal line. Most of our TD's were the result of big plays, and we made plenty, evidenced by 600 total yards. Defense should be MUCH better this year, the game is in Columbia. I say anything can happen, but expect CU to be a double digit favorite if the game was this week. We'll see as the season progresses how good or bad USC will be. Could be better with the same record as last year? Will CU's DL be effective. NO WAY they are as good on DL as last year. Their offense seems loaded, although there are a few missing OL, and a WR out with a torn ACL.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT