ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson has 15 verbals, and not one of them...

gr8spur

Sep 16, 2003
are from the great Palmetto state. This is just an observation. We all know they are playing at an elite level right now and command a national appeal in recruiting. But so far as being the "home team," they are NOT. I like that Coach Muschamp is building a good relationship with the high school programs of South Carolina, while Dabo and company are off globe trotting. I think this is paying dividends now, and will for years to come. What say you guys?

And yes, I know we only have three from South Carolina thus far. But that's 300% more than our friends from Klem-Tech.

I saw that. They've always had good luck in Florida, and Atlanta is a hotbed of recruiting less than 2 hours from Pickens. They're still killing it in recruiting, they need to not got the playoffs this year to slow them down.

I'm way more concerned about UGA recruiting than Pickens Tech...UGA is lights out with three 5* commits and seven 4* commits...last year they signed seven 5* recruits...

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
are from the great Palmetto state. This is just an observation. We all know they are playing at an elite level right now and command a national appeal in recruiting. But so far as being the "home team," they are NOT. I like that Coach Muschamp is building a good relationship with the high school programs of South Carolina, while Dabo and company are off globe trotting. I think this is paying dividends now, and will for years to come. What say you guys?
Muschamp was pretty open about the fact that he planned to re-establish ties in the Carolinas (north and south). He made a comment one time that he wanted to have more signees in the Shrine bowl than any other program, and another comment about how tiny little SC had produced a lot of NFL talent.

That strategy seems to be paying off. Sure, he'll still need to supplement the class with recruits from FL, GA and other places because SC or even the Carolinas doesn't produce enough talent to produce an elite SEC team. But USC is the only SEC program in the Carolinas and he could therefore realistically make USC the program of choice for players from that territory. That pays big dividends when the next Lattimore or Clowney come along, which is basically what just happened with Zacch Pickens.

I think there is always a blend. in addition to covering your own back yard first, then these =
Atlanta/ georgia surrounding areas
Charlotte & Raleigh
Florida & southern flo-rida
a little Tenn & AL.
The occasional long range kids with unique ties, or opportunities where we are showing potential out west and in northern zones are fine, just don't see us over shopping that far out with regularity.

I am pleased with the momentum, attention and perceived energy around the program at present.

They have 1 in state verbal. A kicker he announced last night. Weitz is his last name.

Theoretically.

There are 48 players in the NFL from South Carolina. The average nfl career is 5 years.

Thus, South Carolina produces almost 10 nfl players per year
(Odd that the state never has ten 4 stars, but that's another issue.)

So, name me the years that Clemson or South Carolina has ever sent 10 players to the NFL.

Imagine having a team that sends 10 players to the NFL every year. That's 40 future NFL players on your team each year! That's what you would have if you totally dominated in state recruiting.

Of course, the state does not produce many NFL or even big college level qbs or O linemen. You would still need to supplement those positions with out of staters.

Reactions: Joelmoo2
I saw that. They've always had good luck in Florida, and Atlanta is a hotbed of recruiting less than 2 hours from Pickens. They're still killing it in recruiting, they need to not got the playoffs this year to slow them down.

I'm way more concerned about UGA recruiting than Pickens Tech...UGA is lights out with three 5* commits and seven 4* commits...last year they signed seven 5* recruits...
Luck has nothing to do with their success in Florida, for the 1,000th time

In a way, Clemson's success has helped USC in recruiting in an odd kind of way. Especially when it comes to the in state talent. While Clemson is running all over the country going after 5, and high 4, stars, USC gets put in good position with kids that years ago, both teams would have been fighting over.

I like it. If they continue to alienate the high schools in SC it will give us the upperhand in the state and could eventually be the undoing of everything they have established. What happens when they slip a little on the grand scale of college football and they are no longer the hot new team? It's going to get harder to get those kids from other states. They won't be able to grab who they want in state because we'll have them coming to us.

Theoretically.

There are 48 players in the NFL from South Carolina. The average nfl career is 5 years.

Thus, South Carolina produces almost 10 nfl players per year
(Odd that the state never has ten 4 stars, but that's another issue.)

So, name me the years that Clemson or South Carolina has ever sent 10 players to the NFL.

Imagine having a team that sends 10 players to the NFL every year. That's 40 future NFL players on your team each year! That's what you would have if you totally dominated in state recruiting.

Of course, the state does not produce many NFL or even big college level qbs or O linemen. You would still need to supplement those positions with out of staters.

Isn't that interesting. I remember an article where Boom attended an Atlanta Falcon game a few years and noticed 20% of the roster was made up of SC guys and none of them attended Clemson or Carolina. It seems he is cultivating the soil in SC to find the diamonds.

In a way, Clemson's success has helped USC in recruiting in an odd kind of way. Especially when it comes to the in state talent. While Clemson is running all over the country going after 5, and high 4, stars, USC gets put in good position with kids that years ago, both teams would have been fighting over.
Very true. It's much harder to recruit nationally than it is locally. While it may not seem like it now, the relationships we build and to be able to lockdown SC and NC will pay off in years to come. Clemson won't always be able to recruit nationally, they'll eventually want to get in on a kid in SC or even NC and hopefully our relationships pay off.

In the 2018 class, 7 of 17 were from SC, there was a lot of talent. They wanted Pickens and Deal bad. Have five other outstanding offers to SC kids, but none of them look committable. But they have the top 2020 SC recruit committed.

Reactions: griffgolf
It's an ebb and flow kinda thing. Clemson does already have a 5* DL committed to them for 2020 who is the #1 overall composite SC prospect for that cycle. But they were always gonna get that kid, just like USC was always gonna get Pickens.

USC has done well this cycle with the in-state talent, and is in solid position to nab the top 3 rated guys if Cam Smith chooses us. And I wasn't too disappointed with us losing out on Jackson to NC State despite how talented he is. The 2020 cycle has the top 5 composite rated in-state prospects are all 4* or higher, and all of them are DL. USC will get our fair share of that talent - we're on schedule of losing some depth on DL after 2019: Thomas, Smith, Blackshear, and Fennell. I'm expecting both Wonnum and Kinlaw to be gone after this season, but if not then definitely after 2019. We'll have a great chance to fill those vacancies with talent right here in our home borders......

Reactions: Horseshoe 04
A stat you will not hear wccp talking about.

They also already have twice as many 3 star recruits then they had this past class

Tater logic. Guess this year the number of stars will not matter for taters either.

Reactions: BigTomE
A stat you will not hear wccp talking about.

They also already have twice as many 3 star recruits then they had this past class

Tater logic. Guess this year the number of stars will not matter for taters either.

It’s early in the cycle and this class will be much bigger than 2018 - room for 27 so room for more developmental players. At least one (LB Constantin) has earned a fourth star since he committed and more will, TE Lay could earn two more. Belk was a 3 star when he committed, as was Mike Jones.

It’s the come and go. Clemson will eventually lose status and another will take their place and that’s happening. UGA is helping because it’s so close to Clemson. In the words of Apollo Creed “The worst thing that can happen to fighter is to be domesticated”. Success does that, look at Spurrier. The glean and hunger goes away when you have achieved it for too long...except Saban, somebody pissed off that guy long ago and he’s not stopping.

I don't think recruiting on a national level is detrimental to a program. It all depends on where the talent is. Right now, CU is finding better talent outside the state. If the top talent was coming out of SC, I think they'd be in the mix, along with other top programs in the nation.

Last edited:
USC has 3. Not exactly a banner year in state

Reactions: flyfisher29640
Overall this is not a great recruiting year in SC. Pickens was by far the lone big name in SC this year. Until Rivals re-ranked last week there was one 5* and no 4*s.

Now there is only 1- 5*, 2- 4*s, and rest are 3* or less. Last year there were 2-5*s, 10- 4*s which made the schools go head to head more often.

Isn't that interesting. I remember an article where Boom attended an Atlanta Falcon game a few years and noticed 20% of the roster was made up of SC guys and none of them attended Clemson or Carolina. It seems he is cultivating the soil in SC to find the diamonds.
Was Abraham not there?

I’d be curious to know what year that was. That’s approximately 10 players and seems like a large number

Reactions: GADAWGinIraq
Why stop with football players? Half of the Clemson student body is from Atlanta! :D
Ok. Now you really pi$$ed me off. Because what you said is not far from the truth, except maybe half from Atlanta and the other half from New Jersey. They need all that OOS tuition money for the 35 "Office of ......." and the club med dorms. Sorry. Back to football.

Probably one of the worst years in state for talent in the last 10 or more years minimum. With that being said it’s awesome we have the best one’s committed. Pickens is going to be a beast.

ADVERTISEMENT