ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson has responded. It sounds promising.

clemmer

Dec 6, 2001
“We are disheartened to hear today that South Carolina announced they will not be allowed to play Clemson in the 110th-consecutive year of the historic rivalry game which began in 1896. In 1952, the State Legislature insured that despite unfortunate Conference decisions, the game would go on.

With President Caslen, Director Tanner and Coach Muschamp’s statements today expressing the importance and desire to play this game, Clemson University plans to provide assistance- and feel confident that with our unified efforts, the game can be played and any risks can be mitigated.

Therefore, Clemson University has notified the Atlantic Coast Conference to add the University of South Carolina Gamecocks as Clemson’s 11th opponent to fill our out-of-conference game this Fall. We look forward working with our friends in Columbia- both at The University and State House, if necessary, to work out the details. Go Tigers!

Last edited:
“We are disheartened to hear today that South Carolina announced they will not be allowed to play Clemson in the 110th-consecutive year of the historic rivalry game which began in 1896. In 1952, the State Legislature insured that despite unfortunate Conference decisions, the game would go on.

With President Clausen, Director Tanner and Coach Muschamp’s statements today expressing the importance and desire to play this game, Clemson Univerity plans to provide assistance- and feel confident that with our unified efforts, the game can be played and any risks can be mitigated.

Therefore, Clemson University has notified the Atlantic Coast Conference to add the University of South Carolina Gamecocks as Clemson’s 11th opponent to fill our out-of-conference game this Fall. We look forward working with our friends in Columbia- both at The University and State House, if necessary, to work out the details. Go Tigers!

I say sue the SEC or better, go ahead and play the game after the 10 game season... It can be our bowl game, seeing how Muschamp lost out 3 sure wins, our season looks as if we will win 3 games in the SEC...

Can the SEC stop us from playing an out-of-conference game after our conference season is over? What could/would they to do to is if we just played it?

Make it a charity game with proceeds to go to Covid relief. It’d make the SEC monsters for trying to stop it.

Reactions: agantt and clemmer
Can the SEC stop us from playing an out-of-conference game after our conference season is over? What could/would they to do to is if we just played it?

Make it a charity game with proceeds to go to Covid relief. It’d make the SEC monsters for trying to stop it.

No. And they wouldnt try to stop it.
110 years being flushed down the drain.

As a conference member, the SEC can dictate whether we play or not. They schedule us, pretty much determine which bowl we will go to and control all games. If they say we play at noon, we play at noon We will not play Pickens Tech this year.

What if we got 10-0. Yeah I know...I will put the pipe down:(. But I'm just saying we would be at disadvantage playing 11 while everyone else plays 10 in the conference.

Muschamp has never come close to being in the game, why see the misery again? The Clemmers want to play it bad cause they know that.

Reactions: Gradstudent
Why would we want to go to Clemson and play this year? Helps them, hurts us barring a major upset. Good riddance. Let their fans get excited about playing Boston College and Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Gamechamp
Florida and Georgia will be Schools that convince the SEC to add one nonconference game, not us. If they want to play GT and FSU, will get to play the Taters.

Maybe withhold $40 million.

Remain calm.... there is still time.

If Notra Dame can borrow a conference for a year, anything is still possible.

the sun will come out tomorrow .......... hang on till tomorrow.......

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
No one on here is going to like this, but the hard cold truth of the matter is that the ACC out maneuvered the SEC by adding the +1.
Now it is up to the SEC to either back-peddle, or have to uncomfortably explain why they will not allow the in-state rivalry games (UGA-GT, UK-UL,UF-FSU, USC-CLem)
I have to grudgingly admit, Well played ACC.

Last edited:
No one on here is going to like this, but the hard cold truth of the matter is that the ACC out maneuvered the SEC by adding the +1.
Now it is up to the SEC to either back-peddle, or have to uncomfortably explain why they will not allow the in-state rivalry games (UGA-GT, UK-UL,UF-FSU, USC-CLem)
Don’t know if out maneuvered the SEC. The did what they did because they had no choice. Their strength of schedule needs a out of conference game to make it look respectable. The ACC in general had to make a deal with the devil in Notre Dame and they let them dictate the terms. The had the perfect opportunity to force their hand. That just tells you how desperate they were to improve conference strength of schedule.

Don’t know if out maneuvered the SEC. The did what they did because they had no choice. Their strength of schedule needs a out of conference game to make it look respectable. The ACC in general had to make a deal with the devil in Notre Dame and they let them dictate the terms. The had the perfect opportunity to force their hand. That just tells you how desperate they were to improve conference strength of schedule.
Fla doesn’t need Fla St; Kentucky doesn’t need Louisville; Ga certainly doesn’t need GaTech; We DO NOT need Clemson. But we all need the SEC. I don’t care if we ever play Clemson again.

Last edited:
Reeks of Homerism. And ,BTW since the ACC made the initial announcement they had the choice of how they wanted to model their schedule.
No one this year will need to improve their SOS since as we all know, there will not be 12 games, there will not be consideration for OOC opponents, and in all likelihood there will not be a CFB playoff.
All this is moot, since it is more probable there will not be a season.

Last edited:
Reeks of Homerism. And ,BTW since the ACC made the initial announcement they had the choice of how they wanted to model their schedule.
No one this year will need to improve their SOS since as we all know, there will not be 12 games, there will not be consideration for OOC opponents, and in all likelihood there will not be a CFB playoff.
All this is moot, since it is more probable there will not be a season.
I definitely am a Gamecock homer and proud of to be one. Why else would I be on this site? Of course the SOS is important. If we don’t make it a full season teams will be judged on their body of work. A ACC conference only schedule, won’t hold much weight. Of course you are welcome to your opinion. If you think these schedules were not made by the conferences to posture their teams for the playoff, you must not be paying attention to how this works. One thing I will agree with you on is we probably won’t make it that far!

Wow, what a loser mentality. The SEC doesn’t give a shit about us, as evidenced by the decision yesterday. Grow a pair and appreciate the ebbs and flows of the rivalry
Sounds like a typical Clemson fan...where were you when y’all were losing 5 in a row...guess you were trying to grow a pair then.

I think it is the other way around. SEC didn’t fall for their trap.

Sounds like a typical Clemson fan...where were you when y’all were losing 5 in a row...guess you were trying to grow a pair then.

How old are you? This rivalry is one of the most important aspects of this state, and goes way past winning streaks by either team. Ebbs and flows like I said. If you can’t understand that, you probably aren’t actually old enough to have grown a pair.

Reactions: 01fatboy
ADVERTISEMENT