ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson has responded. It sounds promising.

I still have doubts football will be played at all so this may very well be a useless argument.

But, NEVER trust CU AD. This statement does not surprise me at all. They know this game is not happening. But, they would still very much enjoy causing a riff over this between USC and the SEC and love stirring up anti-conference rage with our fan base. Don't fall for it.

The SEC isnt doing this to Carolina. Plenty of other conference schools lost valuable games in this decision. And for the management of the season during a very unpredictable global heatlh crisis, this decision makes the most sense for the conference and it's schools.

I agree with a previous post. Enjoy watching your Moo U friends try to get excited over playing Wake, Boston College and Syracuse. It will bring more focus to how truly boring ACC football is.

In addition to the four SEC/ACC rivalry games, there are some other compelling games getting mixed because of the SEC's decision. LSU/Texas, UT/Oklahoma, Auburn/UNC. Arkansas/Notre Dame, UGA/Virginia, Mizzou/BYU, Miss St/NC St, and even Vandy/K-State. For a season where TV revenue will be the only revenue at all, the SEC left a lot of money on the table.

Alabama, of course, already had their marquee game against So Cal canceled due to the PAC's decision to go conference only. Given the difficulties Bama would have in adding a compelling 11th opponent on short notice this year, one has to wonder what role that played in the conference's decision. Everybody had an incentive to play an 11th game except Bama. Now, nobody has one. What Bama wants in the SEC, Bama gets, somehow.

We will be so depleted after playing 10 SEC Conference games that the last thing we need is to play Clemson.

I think with the complete redo of the schedules of both teams that the Clemson game could have been scheduled at any time during the season, including the first game. Think of how huge it would be for both teams to play each other the first game of the season! Both teams would be at their healthiest, fewest injuries, and probably less virus concerns. Like you said, after a season of 10 SEC games, it would be much tougher, so play it first. JMHO.

Reactions: GivEmDaSpurs
If the state enacts a law requiring the game be played, the SEC can’t do anything. Laws overrides any rule by the conference. They also cannot retaliate against us without breaching our contract

Reactions: uscnoklahoma2
If the state enacts a law requiring the game be played, the SEC can’t do anything. Laws overrides any rule by the conference. They also cannot retaliate against us without breaching our contract

This is a non-starter. Idiotic for state governments to legislate football games. Especially with so many other areas of SC in a mess they should b working on.

No one on here is going to like this, but the hard cold truth of the matter is that the ACC out maneuvered the SEC by adding the +1.
Now it is up to the SEC to either back-peddle, or have to uncomfortably explain why they will not allow the in-state rivalry games (UGA-GT, UK-UL,UF-FSU, USC-CLem)
I have to grudgingly admit, Well played ACC.

I think the ACC cancelled some SEC / ACC match ups when they added Notre Dame to their schedule. They cancelled Georgia /Virginia and 1 other of the non-rivlary game with an SEC opponent and replaced the SEC team with Notre Dame. That is probably why the SEC went all conference and increased the schedule to 10 games. Swofford screwed some of our teams to accommodate Notre Dame and they have always screwed the ACC in football to avoid sharing TV revenue.

Reactions: CarolinaCocky83
How old are you? This rivalry is one of the most important aspects of this state, and goes way past winning streaks by either team. Ebbs and flows like I said. If you can’t understand that, you probably aren’t actually old enough to have grown a pair.
76...is that old enough or maybe too old.
I’ve seen a lot. Clemson let us leave the ACC when they had indicated they would leave too. I have lived here all my life and have been to many of the games. I speak for me and no one else....the rivalry means nothing to me. We’re in the SEC they’re in the ACC. We owe our loyalties to the SEC, not Clemson.

Reactions: A_F_Deerhunter
76...is that old enough or maybe too old.
I’ve seen a lot. Clemson let us leave the ACC when they had indicated they would leave too. I have lived here all my life and have been to many of the games. I speak for me and no one else....the rivalry means nothing to me. We’re in the SEC they’re in the ACC. We owe our loyalties to the SEC, not Clemson.

Understood friend. Thank you for the thorough response.

What's the reference to 1952 in the OP? There have been bills written but to my knowledge they never passed.

I'm not quite sure other than some set of circumstances were in place that prevented the two schools from playing and hence the SC Legislators passed a law for that year.

“We are disheartened to hear today that South Carolina announced they will not be allowed to play Clemson in the 110th-consecutive year of the historic rivalry game which began in 1896. In 1952, the State Legislature insured that despite unfortunate Conference decisions, the game would go on.

With President Caslen, Director Tanner and Coach Muschamp’s statements today expressing the importance and desire to play this game, Clemson University plans to provide assistance- and feel confident that with our unified efforts, the game can be played and any risks can be mitigated.

Therefore, Clemson University has notified the Atlantic Coast Conference to add the University of South Carolina Gamecocks as Clemson’s 11th opponent to fill our out-of-conference game this Fall. We look forward working with our friends in Columbia- both at The University and State House, if necessary, to work out the details. Go Tigers!

This is bad news for ..,,,,,

To me the weekend of the USC/CU game is up there with Christmas. One of the biggest weekends/days of the year within our border! When both teams are competitive, it's especially big. I hope we can play, even though CU has the upper hand at the moment. College football will be very wierd in 2020, assuming we even have college football?

I can't help but wonder how Clemson is okey doking us with this statement. Seems like they are always playing chess while we are playing checkers.

Don’t trust anything out of that camp. I don’t care if we were going for the 12-peat this year, and we led 85-20 in the series, I’m in favor of cutting them off for good. It’s not even enjoyable anymore, and they are a corny arse fan base, no offense to the decent posters. I’ve only been around this since 1992, but I’d love go back and play our Independent schedule for OOC games, no more small state schools or Clemsin. Add Notre Dame, Nebraska, Pitt, WVU, throw in some Colorado, UDub, UCLA......

It's one of the dumbest decisions I've seen. I suppose there's less chance a Gamecock will contract Covid against a SEC West team than an ACC team? Also notice that Alabama and Auburn will still play their big money game.

I didn't watch this past year because I knew the outcome. I feel the same this year. Not speaking for everyone I just dont like taking the abuse anymore.

I didn't watch this past year because I knew the outcome. I feel the same this year. Not speaking for everyone I just dont like taking the abuse anymore.
I wish Clemson thought like that. Giving up after 5 in a row. They wouldn't have those Crystal footballs.

Reactions: GamecockWarrior
The kind of talk going on in this thread makes me embarrassed to be a Gamecock sometimes. No Fight.... Then the same folks want fight from our team on Saturdays. Very strange.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT